• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia review thread

Bullet Club

DfV8rbE.jpg

Trailers:
Reviews

Eurogamer / Digital Foundry
- Stadia tech review
As a technological statement, Stadia impresses with the best image quality and latency I've seen from a streaming platform, but there's definitely scope for improvement from a stability perspective, and I'm not sure the question of what happens when someone else taps into your bandwidth has been adequately resolved: audio stutter and wobbly resolution were common on my fibre connection and even a 200mbps hook-up had very occasional slowdown.

Wired - Review: Google Stadia
Taken as a whole, Stadia’s strength lies in its versatility, and that’s never more apparent than when you’re playing a game on a laptop without a graphics card. There’s something delightfully subversive about firing up Destiny 2 on the kind of Chromebook they hand out to high school kids.

IGN - Stadia Controller Review
The Stadia controller brings integrated Wi-Fi connectivity as its only new contribution to the controller conversation. That feature in itself is only useful for Stadia and it’s not entirely essential as you only save yourself from fractions of a millisecond of lag. From a value and button quality standpoint, you’ll get a better experience with either the Xbox One or DualShock 4 controller.

Venture Beat - Google Stadia review — It works, but it doesn’t matter
Google Stadia is here, and it has worked almost flawlessly for me. But one of the many problems with Stadia is that you and I are not guaranteed to get the same experience. The other problem is everything else.

Forbes - Paul Tassi - Google Stadia Launch Review: A Technical, Conceptual Disaster
I may have been a Stadia skeptic going into this test run, but I was willing to give it a chance. But this has been a catastrophe from start to finish during my testing phase, and the problem is that even if it did work flawlessly, which it absolutely doesn’t, the entire model seemed doomed from the start. This is an enormous miss from Google, and I am really wondering what the fallout is going to be from this ill-conceived early launch.

Tom's Hardware - Google Stadia Review: Not Ready for Prime Time
If you have a gaming PC and want to tinker with settings, Stadia isn’t for you (and may never be). If you have a console, you already have Stadia's lineup of games available to you, minus Gylt. However, console players wanting the flexibility to play on other devices may be swayed. But for now, both PCs and consoles are still superior, feature-filled options.

USgamer - Google Stadia Review: A Muddled Stream of Consciousness
Stadia's streaming gameplay needs to be impeccable, and it's not at the moment. And maybe it looks better when compared to $300-400 for a Switch, Xbox One X, or PlayStation 4 Pro, but those systems have cheaper options that just… play the games. Project xCloud might not be making as many promises as Stadia, but it's an add-on to an existing console with a much larger library. But promising streaming 4K games with no issues and delivering what's here is not the way to build a platform. Despite all the claims, Stadia isn't gaming for everyone yet.

Vice - Stadia the Technology? Awesome. Stadia the Service? Not So Much
Stadia’s pitch is simple: touch a button and start playing games on just about any device in your house. Judged on that, Stadia is a success. It’s not perfect, but as a parent who values efficiency and convenience in a way I didn’t used to, it was convincing enough.
You should not sign up for Stadia today. But does it work? It does. It works.

Polygon - Google Stadia review: cloud gaming brought down to earth
Which is to say that before Stadia runs, it will need to walk. And the only way to do that will be one step at a time.
I recognize I lack the enthusiasm one would associate with a disruptive piece of technology meant to realign the landscape of an industry worth hundreds of billions of dollars. But that seismic shift seems distant from this vantage point, just as it did when I tried other streaming services like the defunct OnLive.
Right now we just need a cloud-streaming service that works, and works well. I’m less concerned with the promises of the future than I am the realistic potential of tomorrow.

The Verge - Google Stadia Review: The best of cloud gaming is still just a beta
There’s no reason anyone should buy into Stadia right now. Google has made sure of that, partly by underdelivering at launch and partly with a pricing scheme that sees you paying three times (for hardware, for the service, for games) just to be an early adopter.

The Guardian - Google Stadia review – the console vanishes from video gaming
The Stadia nailed the impossible, and then failed the possible. The single most important challenge facing Google – getting video game streaming on a par with local play – has been passed with flying colours.

Ars Technica - Google Stadia launch review: Gaming’s “future” looks rough in the present
Verdict: Early adopters feel like they're getting a beta product here. Wait until next year to see if Google can work out the kinks and proves the service's longevity.

Business Insider - I've been playing games on Google's ambitious new Netflix-like game service for the last week, and it's clear the service isn't ready for primetime
It's an approach that might work with a free service like YouTube, but it's less palatable when you're shelling out over $100 at the launch of a new product — to say nothing of the cost of each game. Though it's entirely possible that Google will iron out Stadia's issues over the coming months, it's clear that now — at launch — the service isn't ready for primetime.

Launcher (Washington Post) - Unplayable at times, magical in others: Stadia’s dream is still in the clouds
Stadia is absolutely paving a new sort of information highway for gaming. My advice today is to stay in your current lane until they finish that work.

Engadget - Google Stadia hands-on: Shockingly playable
The system is fragile and new and likely can't handle a rush of players all at once. So, instead of going live with an online subscription service that works with existing devices and mobile data, Google has jacked up the price of admission, delayed the ability to invite friends, and made hardware a key, restrictive component of a service that's supposed to be all about the cloud.
Game streaming is finally viable, and Stadia is leading the charge -- but with this launch, it's turning out to be more of a stroll. Hey, at least we're getting there.

Launch Titles Metacritic Scores (on other systems)

Out of all of the glaringly obvious problems with Stadia, I want to know one thing:

Who, as a gamer, is so desperate to play games that they are whipping out a Pixel phone during the day, to play a laggy game of destiny 2 using touch screen controls?

From what I can tell, Stadia isn't aimed at the ouya/Onlive crowd, but at the ex-Wii owners.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
One of the things that confuses me is that I thought the whole killer feature of Stadia was that your controller connects to the WiFi directly and separately from your video playing hardware. This was supposed to allow you to seamlessly switch screens on the fly, but I'm seeing people with wired connection on phone and PC.

Also, I had seen DOOM on the list of games at one point when Eternal hadn't been delayed yet. Where did that go? DOOM should be a no-brainer and one of the better tests for the quality of play.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Out of all of the glaringly obvious problems with Stadia, I want to know one thing:

Who, as a gamer, is so desperate to play games that they are whipping out a Pixel phone during the day, to play a laggy game of destiny 2 using touch screen controls?

From what I can tell, Stadia isn't aimed at the ouya/Onlive crowd, but at the ex-Wii owners.

Nobody is playing on a phone with touch screen controls. There is a controller and a phone attachment.

From the Forbes review:

"That did not help, not [sic] did it help when went even further down to “limited data usage,” the bottom tier setting, as even there I still had stuttering. I reported that back, and they said it was “unusual” and they were investigating, and I gave them permission to access my play session data."

Just imagine pausing the game and having to phone a call centre to be told you're the one who's wrong, not them, and give them streaming access to your front room, just so you can beat a level in single-player mode.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Streaming can be good, but it's concerning that Stadia suffers so much in light of being a paid service that requires you purchase the games, but only from them.
It's a Vega 56, which gets ~20fps @ 4K/Ultra or ~36fps 4K/High in RDR 2, so there was never a chance it would be 4K/Ultra or even 4K/60fps/High. It's disappointing they didn't include DOOM in the lineup, I would have liked to compare it to what I feel is the state of the art streaming service: GeForce Now. Streaming requires low latency(wired connection) and preferably high framerates.

GeForce Now formally let you run the server-side resolution up to 4k, and the video stream at 1080p/60fps 50Mbps bitrate. Now it seems to limit the game resolution to 1080p, but the stability and responsiveness are much better. I've been playing around there is definitely a correlation between higher framerate on the server-side and video feed and responsiveness(and therefore gameplay experience). Accuracy and responsiveness isn't as quite as good as native 100fps+ on PC, but it's pretty damn snappy.

Competitive Settings(720p/120fps/Auto bitrate 15-20Mbps): Gauss Cannon and Haste Powerup + streaming = cocaine cowboy on a raging bull...

Highest Custom Setting(1080p/60fps/50Mbps): Best mix of visuals and responsiveness...

^This setting holds up extremely well compared to the Xbox One X version. I haven't played the PS4 Pro version only watched vids, but it looks superior to that imo.

PS4 Pro:

Random post, ikr, but I'm not paying $120+game cost to test Stadia so I though some comparison vids would be fun. *GeForce Now is played on Tesla P40 GPU with 24GB VRAM.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

"Sometime in 2020, Stadia will be a free service, plus the cost of games"

Why in the name of jebus did they even release it this year?

H4ze

I bought World War Z on the Epic Game Store, to this day my only actual purchase... it kinda sucks.
Your german betrays you, friend. And I hear you!

And this, my friends, is how you show everyone that you did not inform your self too well about a topic.

RScrewed

That's a really good roundup of Stadia advertisements, well done.

Here's one that actually shows what gamers are interested in:

Edit: I see this one was in the OP list, my mistake for missing it - the title was way more innocuous than "Input lag is horrendus" which is what their title should be.

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
I wonder if Google will release a statement or apology regarding the way they have under delivered and if they will provide refunds for those who have purchased founders editions.

In Australia, the y would have a pretty cut and dry case to answer to for misleading and deceptive advertising. Promising 4k her content with graphics better than any next gen console and delivery upscaled 1080p with graphics worse than current gen consoles.

Caffeine

massive yikes how can you say it works and then clearly it doesnt.
terrible pricing
cant use wifi (pls buy our mesh routers tho)
how do I ethernet a phone
terrible quality settings on games and up scaled 4k.
the future of gaming is here /s

Last edited:

zenspider

If I thought it ran well in all my edge cases - me. Switch taught me most of my game-time budget is busted on having to be sat down on the couch in front of a TV. Anything to break that is a boon.

The biggest hurdle here is the awful pricing scheme.

iNvid02

I think they envisioned making an industry disrupting splash before the new consoles come out and cementing themselves as another player in the space, but it looks like it's just a beta built on lies about streaming quality and very slim features right now

Still, it's early days. I could totally see myself picking one upon the free tier for the GF if a notable game that we both want to play together comes out, and if stadia has crossplay for that title

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Want:
Netflix/Gamepass like service using their hardware.
-or-
Let me play my already owned PC (Steam/Epic) library on their hardware.
That is intriguing for a subscription model.
What I don't want is whatever Stadia is today.

SpiceRacz

My hope is that sales are so underwhelming they do a massive price drop on the premiere edition. $130 is way too steep when you factor in the costs of games and the size of the library. Like others have said, if this were a subscription service at $15 or $20 a month, I would sign up in a heartbeat. Google fucked this up pretty bad, but they can still correct it.

NickFire

I really believed this has exposed Google...

Way out of their element here.
I agree with you. But it goes further than that IMO. This has exposed streaming as the quasi-hoax it is. The powers that be love it because it gives them even more control than they already have. But the reality seems to be exactly what most people who follow the news suspected all along. The practical limitations of consistent and sufficient bandwidth do not allow for cutting edge games to be streamed in top form. The technology may be fine for older games, but for top end stuff our eyes are not lying.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Are we taking bets on how long Stadia will last before Google kills it?

The launch has been awful but I guess this is still essentially paid early access/beta. I'll wait until the free tier launches in 2020 to try it out. Hopefully they can get their shit together. If not...I don't really care.

I give it 2 years before Stadia is dead.

The launch has been awful but I guess this is still essentially paid early access/beta. I'll wait until the free tier launches in 2020 to try it out. Hopefully they can get their shit together. If not...I don't really care.

I think this is the real problem....people really don't care about Stadia...Google hasn't made it a point to, honestly

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think this is the real problem....people really don't care about Stadia...Google hasn't made it a point to, honestly
Kinda like when the Google CEO got up on stage during the Stadia reveal and started with "Well, I'm not a gamer..."

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

No way Stadia makes it to the year 2022.

Chromata

You mean to tell me I can't play 4k 120fps on the cloud? But this is Google :(.

Why even bother gaming if I can't play Doom Eternal on my Nokia?

Chromata

No way Stadia makes it to the year 2022.

The year is 2022. Robots have seized control of the Earth's surface and humans have been forced underground. Food is scarce and all of Earth's oceans have evaporated due to extreme global warming.

Humans are on the verge of extinction, but at least they outlasted Stadia.

ymoc

And this, my friends, is how you show everyone that you did not inform your self too well about a topic.
Sorry, i have to ask: why are quoting me? I don't understand. I haven't even posted in this topic?

I forgot what was that post you quoted me on all about. I just remember your use of "das" or some similar German word and I thought it was funny and made a friendly tease. No harm intended. I think I even agreed with you on the other topic?

:Confused:

Krabba

Neo Member
I've been using stadia for a few hours today to play Destiny 2 on my laptop. The latency is good enough for me to forget that I'm playing a streamed game.

It hasn't been 100% smooth sailing.
- Once or twice every hour, the controls became unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.
- The graphics don't look as sharp as on a "real" console. Everything looks slightly fuzzy.
- The graphics look like they are being rendered on medium to low settings.

To summarize:
For a launch-day product, it's been quite stable. I haven't encountered the problems I've seen in reviews. Improvements can still be made, but no crashes, no disconnects. Not much lag. Perhaps I'm lucky - perhaps the servers will be under heavier load once more people get access. For now I'm happy to play it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Reading about this reminds me of playing online games on dialup internet on the Dreamcast. There was definite lag, but since it was fairly consistent you could get accustomed to it and still enjoy it.

But obviously that was 20 years ago,

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was reading the Stadia Reddit, and apparently they were told they would get early access codes to set up accounts and pick a unique username and Google just didn't follow through.

So even the few people who actually do care are pissed off. Before I said I'd give this 3 years, but now I'm more like 18 months.

Top Bottom