• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia reaches new milestone of 500,000 units installed in 5 months.

google_stadia_app_4.jpg
Stadia’s Android app hit the Play Store for download on November 7, almost two weeks before the game streaming service’s actual launch. After four months, the client now has 500,000 installs.

According to the Play Store today, Stadia for Android has over a half-million downloads. The app (or its iOS counterpart) is required to set up Stadia and customize gameplay settings.
This includes creating an account by entering a Stadia code and creating a profile, as well as setting privacy, data usage and performance, display, and Assistant. While a web app is available, it lacks some preferences, while the Chromecast client doesn’t have options.

Its last update earlier this month introduced a handful of visual tweaks, and hinted at what’s next for the platform.
For most of the app’s life, it was in the over 100,000 installs range, but just under 500,000. The count was likely meaningfully boosted by Google expanding Stadia mobile compatibility to 19 Samsung, Razer, and Asus phones on top of the existing 8 Pixel models.

Most gaming platforms would have reached over 500k five months after launch. Platforms that might I add, had not been given the luxury of a major mega-corp like Google investing billions of dollars into them. The lack of transparency, delayed release dates, cancellations, and poor general game library are resulting in complete apathy for the product. Even a $99 subscription-free model would not be enough to revitalize interest in Stadia

Remember that Google had promised the free model, without giving the price, would be released earlier this year. Where is it you ask? A good question if you want the Stadia Twitter account to block you, as it seems rather clear to me that they have decided to cancel it. The failure to release the free model also eliminates their one and only chance to save the product.

I myself am done with Stadia, I managed to sell my controller to an uninformed gamer for $90 so it wasn't a complete loss along with the Pixel phones I brought which are useful in their own way, and are pretty good phones to boot. I sadly have to take a permanent loss on the games I purchased.

Stuart360

Terrible numbers to be honest. This is literally an app, how many are actually buying and playing games?, and how many were just curious to check it out as its simply an app to download?.
People download so much shit on their phones all the time, and yet this still has only had 500k downloads in 6 months lol.
Dead on arrival.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So it's basically just people who have installed the app? 500k would sound pretty good if it was Stadia Pro subs or some metric like that, given that it's a totally new platform, but.... yeah.

Last edited:
Just tell us how many people subscribed, for fuck's sake.

The last bit of info I received over a month ago as I pulled out of the insider program that was later posted publicly, said that 20,000 people were playing Thumper making it the most played game on the platform, and Destiny 2 was on its heels as the second biggest game on the platform with zero numbers mentioned. Both of them are free games that you receive with a Stadia sub. There's no information accounting for other Stadia games, but if the 20,000 Thumper players made Thumper the most played game on the platform, I think it's safe to say that most of the 500,000 installs were temporary.

Stuart360

The last bit of info I received over a month ago as I pulled out of the insider program that was later posted publicly, said that 20,000 people were playing Thumper making it the most played game on the platform, and Destiny 2 was on its heels as the second biggest game on the platform with zero numbers mentioned. Both of them are free games that you receive with a Stadia sub. There's no information accounting for other Stadia games, but if the 20,000 Thumper players made Thumper the most played game on the platform, I think it's safe to say that most of the 500,000 installs were temporary.
giphy.gif

DESTROYA

Really surprised they haven't pulled the plug yet, just months ago you'd see adds everywhere now they are nonexistent.
How are they going to push a product no one wants if nobodies even knows about? Either way I hope if fails spectacularly.

Nokia N-Gage sold 400k only weeks after launch, in the same month!

32X sold over that in 2 months!

Has Google created and released at least one "PHYSICAL" product that has ever succeeded in the market it was categorized in?

ryan13ts

That's honestly not great... like, at all. More importantly, it's not telling us the actual important numbers that matter, which are how many people are subscribed and concurrently playing on the service. I'm going to hazard a guess that it's pretty bad, which is why we probably won't be seeing it from them anytime soon.

I think it's pretty clear this thing was damn near dead on arrival. I'm amazed they've kept it going this long, what with their long track record of killing things left and right, especially stuff that's doing poorly. This is the one thing they probably should take out back with the shotgun.

Last edited:

NickFire

Part of me says its better than I expected. Another part suspects the amount of people downloading the app is not directly correlated with ongoing paid subscribers, and that this news is sorta marketing fluff. All of me says who really cares about this streaming pile of turd anyway.

Antwix

Terrible numbers to be honest. This is literally an app, how many are actually buying and playing games?, and how many were just curious to check it out as its simply an app to download?.
People download so much shit on their phones all the time, and yet this still has only had 500k downloads in 6 months lol.
Dead on arrival.
Yep, and who know how many of those installs were just free buddy passes.

Part of me says its better than I expected. Another part suspects the amount of people downloading the app is not directly correlated with ongoing paid subscribers, and that this news is sorta marketing fluff. All of me says who really cares about this streaming pile of turd anyway.

When you purchase Stadia you are automatically subscribed. There isn't a sub-free tier yet, even though there was supposed to be one by now. The issue imo is it's not clear how these installs are tracked.

Vawn

Banned
Did you read the post?

Yeah. It said, "I, Voost Kain, told you all that Stadia will take over the world. Sony and Microsoft are scared and might even cancel their next gen consoles as they realize they cannot compete with Google. I've spent thousands of dollars on Stadia and only regret that I haven't spent more."

Last edited:

wolywood

The news this week about the first party studio opening and poaching the God of War lead makes me think Google's still in this for the long haul.

That said, the online servers for most of the games I have are almost completely empty. NBA 2K20's "Neighborhood" is a ghost town. Grid had a bunch of players initially when the game went free for Pro subscribers last weekend, but getting a 4 player race together is a struggle now, never mind 40. And good luck finding a Crucible match in Destiny 2.

The mythical Stadia free tier needs to launch, and soon.

Woo-Fu

Banned
They should have called it a tombstone instead of a milestone. App downloads mean at least people either heard of Stadia or simply saw something that looked interesting on the appstore.

Pansy

Dead on arrival.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have many apps on mobile devices that simply sit there stagnant. 500k is tiny when you consider that this was released globally.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
App installs don't mean shit when you can't play it without a sub. I like Stadia but this is not good news for the service. There aren't half a million players right now.

The app went live a week before the service launched. How many people installed it to see what it was, then promptly uninstalled it?

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
That’s pretty abysmal. There is no way a significant amount of people are actually buying and playing games, so this thing is definitely on borrowed time.

Top Bottom