• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google: Stadia exclusives to have features “not possible” on home hardware From thousands of on-screen soldiers to Duplex-powered "believable human..

Fake

cdc.jpg

onQ123

If we wanted to get technical about it there isn't any hardware google can put in a datacenter that you can't put in your home. Not only that you'd have a lot less latency to deal with. :)

Not saying it is practical, just saying it is possible which directly contradicts what the Stadiots have been spouting in interviews lately.

What I don't understand is who they're trying to convince, investors? Gamers gonna sit back and say, "show us these magic games first.".

But who will make games around this hardware that not many people will have in their homes?

Google can give devs the freedom to make games well above 200GBs that use more than 128GB of RAM

Fbh

I made this joke post in another thread yesterday:

Can't wait to hear all of the exaggerated wild promises they'll make about their games.

"Thanks to the power of Stadia all NPC in our game have such advanced AI that they are comparable to real humans. The UN is actually debating if we need to give them human rights".

"Our Stadia games are so advanced you'll never again know if you are watching a movie trailer or a videogame trailer because the graphics will be so photorealistic"

"We've partnered up with Hideo Kojima to upload his mind to Stadia so digital Kojima can work 24/7 on making new Stadia games"

"You crappy cheap LCD will now look like a top of the Line OLED when playing Stadia exclusives because our games have digital cloud image enhancement. The black levels and contrast are simulated in the cloud so all your TV needs to do is provide power. If you have more than 40MBs it will actually be comparable to a 16K Microled TV which doesn't even exist yet!!!"

Wasn't too far off with the first one LOL

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
But who will make games around this hardware that not many people will have in their homes?

Google can give devs the freedom to make games well above 200GBs that use more than 128GB of RAM

That assumes Stadia hits a critical mass where it is worthwhile to make games that will only work on that platform. I don't see that happening unless Google sticks with it for multiple generations.

They can buy/startup enough studios to be a Nintendo without any Nintendo IPs in the meantime. Just look at the last 2-3 generations. 2nd party has been drying up, you either make games that will run on at least the top two consoles or you go mobile. The only studios that will want to make games that can only run on Stadia will be 1st party.

Last edited:

Shmunter

This is the single biggest problem for any corporation trying to get in on the high-end gaming space, lead time on product is so long nowadays how do you keep your platform fresh and appealing in the meantime?

And of course not only does the flagship need to be great, which is less than a certainty, it needs to be appealing to what the market is like 3-4 years out from its inception.
They could do a Microsoft and buy the next Halo, aka big thing. Buy CD PROJECT.

To me, this is the ONE advantage streaming could have over an actual console. The machines you are streaming from could be significantly more powerful than what is realistical for the average person to afford.
Except, you STILL can't afford it. You are assuming renting hardware is cheap when it isn't. The costs of running Stadia dramatically increases with the processing power offered being upscaled. What made you think it could be affordable?

onQ123

I made this joke post on another thread yesterday:

Wasn't too far off with the first one LOL

My thread from before they even announced Stadia

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/how-...evices-for-you-to-be-happy-with-gaas.1472925/

So far it seem like companies have just been trying to rent us games that we can already play locally on the devices we have but what if a company gave devs a cloud platform to develop games for with specs that can't be matched locally any time soon, how good will it have to be for you to see GaaS as a better choice than buying a local device?

Like if PS5 gave devs 10TF , 16GB RAM & 50GB storage to make games with but Google gave devs 40TF , 64GB RAM & 200GB storage to make games with. Would you pay $10 a month for a photorealistic game with life like physics & so on over buying the $60 PS5 version?

onQ123

That assumes Stadia hits a critical mass where it is worthwhile to make games that will only work on that platform. I don't see that happening unless Google sticks with it for multiple generations.

They can buy/startup enough studios to be a Nintendo without any Nintendo IPs in the meantime. Just look at the last 2-3 generations. 2nd party has been drying up, you either make games that will run on at least the top two consoles or you go mobile. The only studios that will want to make games that can only run on Stadia will be 1st party.

PS5 & Xbox Scarlett also need to reach a large install base before it's worth it to make games that only work on next gen consoles so they are in the same boat for now & just will have to take a chance.

One thing that could happen is demos that pop up like ads before Youtube videos which would have a wider reach than PS5 & Xbox Scarlett from the start.

ExpandKong

Banned
My uncle Jeremy Goog is pretty high up at Google and he said using the power of Stadia they made a game so powerful that the game started playing them and the US government had to be called in to napalm the facility.

It has been over an hour since I made this post and nobody has refuted it so guess what it’s officially true now RIP Uncle Jeremy.

Last edited:
Exclusives nobody gives a fuck about, Google are mad, Microsoft has been in this business for years invested billions for exclusives and are still finding life hard, who are Google to come up and hack it, I suggest they should stick to FIFA and other multi plats. Leave exclusives to Nintendo and playstation!

PS5 & Xbox Scarlett also need to reach a large install base before it's worth it to make games that only work on next gen consoles so they are in the same boat for now & just will have to take a chance.

One thing that could happen is demos that pop up like ads before Youtube videos which would have a wider reach than PS5 & Xbox Scarlett from the start.
Difference is that both Sony and MS already have game studios and IPs ready to release games. Google literally just started.

onQ123

Exclusives nobody gives a fuck about, Google are mad, Microsoft has been in this business for years invested billions for exclusives and are still finding life hard, who are Google to come up and hack it, I suggest they should stick to FIFA and other multi plats. Leave exclusives to Nintendo and playstation!

Google has enough data & stats on the world to know what people want they will be ok

onQ123

Difference is that both Sony and MS already have game studios and IPs ready to release games. Google literally just started.

I remember when Atari , Sega & Nintendo already had game studios & IPs ready to release games while Sony was literally just starting & somehow Sony sold more consoles than anyone had ever sold before.

rəddəM

I remember when Atari , Sega & Nintendo already had game studios & IPs ready to release games while Sony was literally just starting & somehow Sony sold more consoles than anyone had ever sold before.
Is it the brand? The box? The exclusives? The services?
I guess Sony just took gaming more seriously than anyone else and got lucky they got so many good studios (best of the best) so early on.
I like PlayStation ecosystem and diversity.

onQ123

Sony actually had games lined up for PS1. Google is not even close.

As a kid who was like the only kid around me who had a PS1 for the 1st few years I have to say it wasn't Sony games that sold the PS1 it was 3rd party games ,

Is it the brand? The box? The exclusives? The services?
I guess Sony just took gaming more seriously than anyone else and got lucky they got so many good studios (best of the best) so early on.
I like PlayStation ecosystem and diversity.

It was the games & also the more than just a game console vibe they was pushing , PlayStation broke through to markets that wasn't really there before. Jocks , Thugs , Teenage Girls , Grownups , Car Lovers everyone was buying PlayStation once it caught on , Sega also had these markets but these markets grew when PlayStation took off.

Google could reach markets that don't really buy consoles but like games .

onQ123

I don't think there is a much of an untapped market left that is sandwiched between phone gamers and console gamers.

You underestimate the power of convenience .

Picture a game coming out that take the market by storm & everyone is talking about it & you go to google it to see what the fuss is about and there is a play now button right there for you to just play the game.

You don't think this will reach a untapped market?

You underestimate the power of convenience .

Picture a game coming out that take the market by storm & everyone is talking about it & you go to google it to see what the fuss is about and there is a play now button right there for you to just play the game.

You don't think this will reach a untapped market?
Not when you need an actually separate controller that you carry with you. And further more, that is not what Stadia is right now. You are describing what Stadia currently isn't planning to be.

FearlessFalseDoe.webp

"I bet you can Google, you are a big boy after all but what about Timmy who's stuck with Comcast's shitty internet speeds and data limits? What about those 3rd worlders with no local servers and even worse internet speeds like Pablo, Alexi and Ahmed?"
Google:" Well....... "
VigorousReadyAssassinbug.webp

Google has enough data & stats on the world to know what people want they will be ok
Data and statistics aren't art, mathematics can never replace art, meaning you can have all the data and statistics and fail to create art, especially in this business people will always buy Nintendo to play Mario and playstation to play god of war,

Those are works of art that are stuck in people's lives since childhood, Microsoft have invested in exclusives but still fail for the same reasons, they think if they throw money into companies to make them exclusives then it'll happen but no, it doesn't work like that "art is priceless"

Data and statistics aren't art, mathematics can never replace art, meaning you can have all the data and statistics and fail to create art, especially in this business people will always buy Nintendo to play Mario and playstation to play god of war,

Those are works of art that are stuck in people's lives since childhood, Microsoft have invested in exclusives but still fail for the same reasons, they think if they throw money into companies to make them exclusives then it'll happen but no, it doesn't work like that "art is priceless"
Fundamentally, it is tricky to create art. Because you can't just give artists infinite money and time; history proved that if you do that, most artists would never finish what they are working on and will polish forever. Classic example is the Mona Lisa, which was never delivered to the purchaser because Da Vinci consider it "unfinished". One could argue that also is what happened to Half Life 3.

On the other hand, you also can't restrict money and time too much. Because otherwise you get buggey mess like WWE 2K20.

It is all about the right amount of money and right amount of time. And a lot of planning. Money is part of the requirement, but not the only requirement.

Fundamentally, it is tricky to create art. Because you can't just give artists infinite money and time; history proved that if you do that, most artists would never finish what they are working on and will polish forever. Classic example is the Mona Lisa, which was never delivered to the purchaser because Da Vinci consider it "unfinished". One could argue that also is what happened to Half Life 3.

On the other hand, you also can't restrict money and time too much. Because otherwise you get buggey mess like WWE 2K20.

It is all about the right amount of money and right amount of time. And a lot of planning. Money is part of the requirement, but not the only requirement.
Your still doing math, I meant art as in not just simply collecting a bunch of artists and tell them to make you an exclusive this isn't art this is math still, art is something creative and original, nobody told yoshida to make Mario or Kojima to make metal gear, art comes naturally neither Google or Microsoft can buy it, they can only be clever in choosing the right artist or company to do that job not ask for it,

This is where playstation wins, they know who is good in his art and they buy them look at ghost of tsushima, uncharted, god of war I mean if I'm sending a guy in a painting auction house I'll be sending Sony. And lastly it's not about the pixels and polygons Google are boasting about its how you use them, Pc games have always had double the numbers but artistically they are bland compared to playstation titles or Nintendo, conclusion money simply just doesn't make you a ZELDA!

You do realise all that talk about quantum processing was all banter, same way they talked about cold fusion.
Well quantum computing is a thing now, it's just that you litterally need liquid nitrogen to cool it. So quantum computing is at a similar place to when traditional computers took up a whole room.

Well quantum computing is a thing now, it's just that you litterally need liquid nitrogen to cool it. So quantum computing is at a similar place to when traditional computers took up a whole room.
Exactly it's not that it's impossible it's just that Google claims are fraud, I don't think they got it right like how they claim this JuJu stuff is the same as when they tried nuclear fusion and only lasted seconds or when they tried cold fusion, but then again even classical computers can do gazillions of calculations given enough cooling, you can't cheat physics.

spons

Gold Member
So they launch Stadia just in spite? A bunch of indie exclusives and multi-plats isn't going to get people to use your service.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I think it was OnLive that said the exact same line about using "supercomputers" to achieve graphics not possible for home PCs. We all know how that turned out lol I can't believe Google is using the same tragic nonsense seriously.

iconmaster

Banned
To me, this is the ONE advantage streaming could have over an actual console. The machines you are streaming from could be significantly more powerful than what is realistical for the average person to afford.

Yeah, this is the first interesting thing I've heard about Stadia.

But in reality, who's going to make a game that depends that substantially on Google's backend to work? It'd be unportable to any other platform, including PC.

The only games that could be expected to do any of this would be Stadia exclusives. I'm not holding my breath.

Bigfroth

Heard Google is going to tie in there 53 qubit quantum computer into stadia which will enable quantum tunneling allowing Phil Harrison to physically come through ur TV and personally give you a yellow rubber duck in thanks for supporting Stadia the future of gaming!

Top Bottom