• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia data use is over 100MB per minute at 1080p

Bryank75

Banned
All of that data and you're still getting an image that is lower quality than 720p due to compression and artifacts. As well as the way it looks 2d compared to a console version.

No HDR, no raytracing.

Huge lag, random drops in service. No achievements, nobody to play with in multiplayer .... i.e. Destiny.

Streaming is bullshit. Just buy a console or PC.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Though I am not interested in game streaming in any way, HonestlyI hope all these new streaming services force the conversation back to the need to kill data caps.

here is my monthly usage without game streaming (and being careful towards the end of each month)

1ZSwQeN.png

there is No way I would survive overcharges with stadia

Last edited:
Isp data caps are one thing. But the whole point of stadia is not to play it in your house, its to play it on the fly.

The best data package I can get in the UK is 50GB a month and that would cost approx £50 a month. Add that to the cost of stadia and....

Nope.

Zannegan

All of that data and you're still getting an image that is lower quality than 720p due to compression and artifacts. As well as the way it looks 2d compared to a console version.

No HDR, no raytracing.

Huge lag, random drops in service. No achievements, nobody to play with in multiplayer .... i.e. Destiny.

Streaming is bullshit. Just buy a console or PC.
While I agree with your conclusion, raytracing is one of the things streaming would theoretically have an advantage over consoles in (along with physics and shared world games). If they're rendering the image there and sending it, it wouldn't take any more bandwidth to send a ray traced image than a non-ray traced one, and given that you'd have a massive server farm there to render with, the graphics could, theoretically be better (minus streaming artifacts)...

...of course, that's all predicated on Google being really nice and dedicating all kinds if server power to your experience for a little monthly sub that can't possibly cover the costs.

Isn't that...actually kind of good?

I'm assuming they're doing 1080 x 1920, which is 6,220,080 bytes for a full frame, or about 6.22 MB, uncompressed. For a full minute at 60 FPS, that would be about 373 MBs, again uncompressed.

Don't exactly know how video streaming really works or pre-existing protocols and standards for handing data, but I at least know that things like video streaming use UDP instead of TCP, which is part of the reason content like video can be streamed at the speed and bandwidth it is.

Google is probably also using algorithms to compress the data packets even further from their servers. So 100 MB/min actually sounds really good. Granted, Stadia is still pure saggy ass, but at least from what I know on this stuff, this specific part isn't that bad.

Isp data caps are one thing. But the whole point of stadia is not to play it in your house, its to play it on the fly.

The best data package I can get in the UK is 50GB a month and that would cost approx £50 a month. Add that to the cost of stadia and....

Nope.
Dont they tell everyone to hardline their shit right now to reduce lag? It's not on the fly YET, that's for sure...

Dont they tell everyone to hardline their shit right now to reduce lag? It's not on the fly YET, that's for sure...

Yes, they say Chromecast should be wired.

I'm talking about the whole point of Stadia though; Gaming on a mobile or tablet when you're not at home because convenience.

I've called this out for the bullshit that it is from day one; bullshit.

Nobody is gaming on their phone. They're certainly not willing to pay £50 a month to do so, even if they have the option to do so.

Stadia is a trojan horse, trying to infiltrate the living room as a 'cheaper' alternative to gaming consoles and streaming boxes. The problem is, is that it's shit.

If Google spent the millions that MS and Sony did to get in to the living room and they struggled, then I wouldn't give them a hard time. This is them cutting corners while trying to maximise profit.

I hope it fails so bad that they have no option but to release a console

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
ISPs will probably start to do data caps again more people start to use the service.

Indeed ISPs are at the root of success / fail of cloud based gaming. Thats why I think Spencer clearly said two things regarding xCloud: They are and willl keep working with ISPs, and that the process will take several years.

Last edited:

Nydius

Are caps still a thing for most people? I’d presume so.

If so... :messenger_grimmacing_

Caps never went away. They've only gotten worse. Until 2009, the only non-DSL high speed internet option I had in my neighborhood was Cox Communications. Back then, they didn't have any data caps. Verizon rolled out FiOS that year, expanding my options to two. I switched to FiOS back then for faster speeds.

In 2012, Cox added their first data caps to their HSI packages -- a meager 400GB a month. Fast forward seven years later and the cap has only been increased by another 600GB, up to 1TB a month. Even their Gigablast service has the same ridiculously low 1TB cap. Verizon advertises that they have no cap but break 4TB of usage more than once and you'll find out that their "no cap" claim is a lie. You'll get a nastygram telling you to scale it back or they'll cut you off (or move you to a far more expensive business tier package). 4TB sounds like a lot but, as cord cutters, my wife and I regularly go well over 1-2TB a month in video streaming alone.

Stadia was never a service for people with Internet caps.

You're straight up admitting that Stadia is a service that has no mass market OR mobile use viability.
Not a ringing endorsement of the "streaming future".

Last edited:
Though I am not interested in game streaming in any way, HonestlyI hope all these new streaming services force the conversation back to the need to kill data caps.

here is my monthly usage without game streaming (and being careful towards the end of each month)

1ZSwQeN.png

there is No way I would survive overcharges with stadia

you do better than me. I hit data overage 3 out of the last 5 months just because of mlb.tv. One of those months I also had to redownload my Spotify library on two devices and bought more digital games than usual and went way over.

I have no other viable option in my area. It sucks.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don't have to worry about data caps, I have 5g through Starry, a new provider currently available in limited areas and only in multi-unit bldgs. 200-300 mbps speed, they only offer broadband, have no interest in throttling and no data caps. I just hope they don't go out of business as the service is so So SO much better than shitty Spectrum. But even if I had to go back to Spectrum they only got approval to buy out Time-Warner here by agreeing to NO data caps for the next 7 years.

Data caps wouldn't keep me from using Stadia, how shitty the service is and the fact that it is offered by data-mining Skynet is what insures I will never consider it.

bilderberg

This was something I had wondered about in the first place, as caps still exist in various parts of the world.

Definitely could say that this isn't for everyone (those with a cap), but that's still pretty insane data, especially for those with a cap.

I'm really interested in seeing how they're going to twist all of this. It's not in a good place.
They can just point to install sizes for games like Gears and COD, for being 100+gb, and argue streaming data usage is more manageable than whole sale dl'ing a 1/10th of your monthly cap. I don't agree, but that's what they'll probably say.

v1oz

100mb per minute is reasonable. 1gb/minute is reasonable.

as much as Stadia sucks the fault for your crappy internet does not lie at Google's door. it's your ISP.
Yes it wouldn’t matter if it took up 1 terabyte per minute. It’s just data, it doesn’t cost anything.

Bryank75

Banned
Even with data caps and incredible speeds, streaming doesn't work well.... check out the reviews.

It's not about 'oh, when the speeds are high enough', the thing will just never work like some people imagine it might.

hunthunt

Banned
I swear that game streaming is one of those ideas where everyone loses except for the service provider.

I hope the thing fails miserably.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
you do better than me. I hit data overage 3 out of the last 5 months just because of mlb.tv. One of those months I also had to redownload my Spotify library on two devices and bought more digital games than usual and went way over.

I have no other viable option in my area. It sucks.

About a year ago my roommate ran the data through the roof like 2 months in a row, by streaming Netflix in the background while playing FF 14 for hours each night at the same time. I had to have a hard conversation towards the end of each month about wasted data because Comcast sent me an email saying that I would be charged for each 50 gig amount above 1tb if we went over one more month. (gave Me “free overage” months like they were doing me a favor)

While his data usage was excessive, it is on par for a normal family of 4 nowadays to have all that video / internet usage. It’s fucking bullshit that I have to check my internet app every few days and feel like I can’t download any large stuff until the end of the month *IF* I have enough data. (I really want to redownload doom 2016 but that shit is like 80 gigs).

2 TB should be the absolute minimum cap and until we get even to that point no way I’m touching stadia, xcloud or even game pass (because the huge game Downloads will nuke my internet also.)

God help us 1tb limit users when next gen hits. 100-200 gig games. Yuck.

/rant Over

xrnzaaas

You're straight up admitting that Stadia is a service that has no mass market OR mobile use viability.
Not a ringing endorsement of the "streaming future".

That's the thing, we want streaming to become the future of gaming (and entertainment in general), but the infrastructure isn't ready for it and not just in poorer/less developed countries.

Lol at the people saying they don't have a data cap. Just try downloading a petabyte in one month and see how your ISP likes you then. There is such a thing as fair usage and sooner or later your ISP is going to take issue with such flagrantly ridiculous usage. At the very least they're going to start sniffing around to make sure you're not running a commercial service on your residential connection.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean... we don't have data caps for over .... 15 years here in Poland? I never had a data cap even in my new place with 1 shitty internet provider (shitty means 200mb down).
So comcast and other places need to fix their crap soon. This should not be a problem. it does not matter to them if You use 10mb or 10gb. It's just another way to bleed You dry

Top Bottom