• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google says Stadia is "alive and well"

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Stadia on Era:

150 pages thread

Stadia on Gaf:

FAT FROG VS THE WORLD :messenger_smiling_hearts:

I was expecting far worse like 1,5 millions downloads.

So, Google could be saying the truth. (a small but vocal and hungry fanbase who buys a lot of games)

If Google keeps giving Premium Edition with each big title, they could make it...

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont know, I probably downloaded that app at some point and I never use it so.......how many of those are active users?

SkylineRKR

I won't jump in to use stadia as I play those games on my console without any streaming involved.

But I would if Stadia was a platform that set it apart. If RE Village would be a Stadia exclusive (imagine the rage), then I would sub. Its about content. Stadia has nothing that sets it apart and a GP sub if you happen to have a PC, or in combo with a cheap Xbox system is a good alternative.

Fat Frog

I dont know, I probably downloaded that app at some point and I never use it so.......how many of those are active users?
I dont know, I probably bought twice several consoles (PSone, Dreamcast, PS2) because they were no reliable... how many units had been really sold to each single user?

Of course, it's not really 3 millions users.
The world is lying. Microsoft never gives us xbox units sold (they mix profits from sold consoles, game pass subs et cetera)

It's not even good numbers...(Stadia) but i was expecting a far worse catastrophy.

Even the Dreamcast had a better start but the dynamic is reversed.

The Dreamcast had 500k at launch in Europe (decent start) but one year later it was only 1 million. (good sales in the US though, not in japan).

Dreamcast had better start but then declined. Stadia had a really weak start, crappy lineup but the dynamic is improving.

Sega had a 100 millions dollars debt in the ass, Google an incredible war chest.

I still cannot say if Google will survive (Google being... Google) but the sequence cyberpunk/Fifa/NBA2K/Valkyria/Judgment/Falcom games/Resident Evil 8 helped... Last year, the lineup was really weak, now it's decent and cheaper (sub is not mandatory)

They must secure a partnership (AAA on Switch with Cloud?) and keep delivering good games.

They have the cheapest way to play AAA video games, it's not nothing.

Last edited:
They have the cheapest way to play AAA video games, it's not nothing.
Stadia is only the cheapest way to play AAA games, if you think buying a lottery ticket is the cheapest way to get rich.

In any case, right now AAA games run on a regular PS4/Xbox One due to cross gen. And you can get them 2nd hand for 100-200 dollars.

Fat Frog

Stadia is only the cheapest way to play AAA games, if you think buying a lottery ticket is the cheapest way to get rich.

In any case, right now AAA games run on a regular PS4/Xbox One due to cross gen. And you can get them 2nd hand for 100-200 dollars.
Under 15 mb + capped internet, yeah, Xbox one S and PS4 are still the cheapest way to play AAA which is great for people living in the countryside or in the USA.

But over 15mb uncapped datas internet, Stadia is a better and cheaper way to play AAA.

Sorry, i was wrong. GFN is the cheapest way to play AAA (you can find better deals for most games), Stadia is most balanced service. (better framerate than previous consoles and no queue for playing like GFN for Popular games)

Last edited:

Murdoch

Under 15 mb + capped internet, yeah, Xbox one S and PS4 are still the cheapest way to play AAA which is great for people living in the countryside or in the USA.

But over 15mb uncapped datas internet, Stadia is a better and cheaper way to play AAA.

Sorry, i was wrong. GFN is the cheapest way to play AAA (you can find better deals for most games), Stadia is most balanced service. (better framerate than previous consoles and no queue for playing like GFN for Popular games)

Why is it a 'better way' of playing AAA games? Framerate' and resolution aside to call the AAA games library on Stadia barebones is being exceedingly polite.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You can't compare an app download to console sales at all, the vast majority of console sales (80% or more) are legit working and used machines. The app could easily be deleted and redownloaded many times, or by accident (this is probably a real good percentage considering it says google)
Or just out of curiosity (what's this goodle stadia thing). Even mutiple downloads for one customer, new phone, trying on tablet, etc.

I think stadia has far less than a million active paying customers, between the lack of games, bugled marketing, performance issues, and no exclusives, it's already dead.

Dibils2k

Im Fine GIF

Fat Frog

Why is it a 'better way' of playing AAA games? Framerate' and resolution aside to call the AAA games library on Stadia barebones is being exceedingly polite.
Come on, guys...

Stadia is a young system, there are more than 200 games, 100 additional titles will follow in 2021.

You can play AAA from Ubisoft, EA, ID Software, Square Enix, Capcom and of course you cannot have all PS4 game list since 2014 in only 18 months.

But recent big titles are frequently released without delay like Cyberpunk, Judgment, Resident Evil 8.

You cannot play Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 8 on Switch. You cannot play 60 FPS Judgment on Xbox One/PS4, you cannot play it on PC ( some insulted Sega for that).

Yeah, Stadia was crap the first year (check my history, i never defended Stadia back then as i'm doing it right now.

"I saw the light" with Cyberpunk ha ha... :)

I knew this game would be a good test, a good asset for the service but the tech, convenience, results with an average internet blew my mind.

I think Stadia can potentially convert millions of average gamers , Google must find an easy way to make them test the service. (the convenience, price, tech and growing line up will do the rest of the job.

Think about it... Millions of switch, Apple owners interested by only one AAA on other consoles could find it interesting.

Buy a new PC, a Series X only for Cyberpunk (20 FPS on One S) or buy only the game on Stadia ?(your old keyboard and mouse will work on chrome) Of course, Stadia has value...

Murdoch

Come on, guys...

Stadia is a young system, there are more than 200 games, 100 additional titles will follow in 2021.

You can play AAA from Ubisoft, EA, ID Software, Square Enix, Capcom and of course you cannot have all PS4 game list since 2014 in only 18 months.

But recent big titles are frequently released without delay like Cyberpunk, Judgment, Resident Evil 8.

You cannot play Cyberpunk, Resident Evil 8 on Switch. You cannot play 60 FPS Judgment on Xbox One/PS4, you cannot play it on PC ( some insulted Sega for that).

Yeah, Stadia was crap the first year (check my history, i never defended Stadia back then as i'm doing it right now.

"I saw the light" with Cyberpunk ha ha... :)

I knew this game would be a good test, a good asset for the service but the tech, convenience, results with an average internet blew my mind.

I think Stadia can potentially convert millions of average gamers , Google must find an easy way to make them test the service. (the convenience, price, tech and growing line up will do the rest of the job.

Think about it... Millions of switch, Apple owners interested by only one AAA on other consoles could find it interesting.

Buy a new PC, a Series X only for Cyberpunk (20 FPS on One S) or buy only the game on Stadia ?(your old keyboard and mouse will work on chrome) Of course, Stadia has value...

I'm a Stadia user since day one and I've also got Cyberpunk with the free controller they did towards the end of last year. It's certainly not the best way to play AAA games though? In fact the more games you play, the better off you are joining a subscription service like GamePass.

Stadia is useful for those players who play maybe once or twice a month and aren't too fussed about which games they play.

Fat Frog

It's certainly not the best way to play AAA games though?
Who said that ?

Quoting myself:

"They have the cheapest way to play AAA video games, it's not nothing."

Cheapest not best... (Plus, i said laterni was wrong, GFN is the cheapest but there is no queue with Stadia)

Murdoch

Who said that ?

Quoting myself:

"They have the cheapest way to play AAA video games, it's not nothing."

Cheapest not best... (Plus, i said laterni was wrong, GFN is the cheapest but there is no queue with Stadia)

You said...

"But over 15mb uncapped datas internet, Stadia is a better and cheaper way to play AAA"

I think it's probably a last resort all things considered i.e you cant source a dedicated machine

Fat Frog

You said...

"But over 15mb uncapped datas internet, Stadia is a better and cheaper way to play AAA"

I think it's probably a last resort all things considered i.e you cant source a dedicated machine
The line before i was comparing it with PS4 and Xbox one...

You just have to check my history (i said for instance Judgment was a bit inferior to the Series X version...)

Ok, found my old quotes page 3:

"If you want cheap but decent gaming right now, give Stadia, GFN, and Series S a try. ;) "

See...
Cannot say i used fanboy vocabulary.
I previously said "Decent gaming" and advocated for Series S as well. (Didn't spam Gaf with "this is the future of gaming" but yeah i like explaining why i love Stadia, GFN, cloud gaming and Series S)

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That's arguable to say the least. I played the little Hitman trial on Stadia the other day on a 400mb connection and the stream itself was flawless, as far as latency goes, no complaints there, but the visual quality wasn't great. While it was technically a 1080p stream, it was crushed so bad that the final image was noticeably less sharp than on a base X1 (even with the native res on the Xbox was only 900p, I think).

Fat Frog

That's arguable to say the least. I played the little Hitman trial on Stadia the other day on a 400mb connection and the stream itself was flawless, as far as latency goes, no complaints there, but the visual quality wasn't great. While it was technically a 1080p stream, it was crushed so bad that the final image was noticeably less sharp than on a base X1 (even with the native res on the Xbox was only 900p, I think).

True. The IQ is the weak point of the free Stadia (i took it into account when saying "decent gaming") but framerate is most of the time far better, the loadings a whole new world and the IQ issues can be dodged (even if it's fine with me) when playing smaller screens or tablet (on Tablet the graphics are impressive)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

You can't compare an app download to console sales at all, the vast majority of console sales (80% or more) are legit working and used machines. The app could easily be deleted and redownloaded many times, or by accident (this is probably a real good percentage considering it says google)
Or just out of curiosity (what's this goodle stadia thing). Even mutiple downloads for one customer, new phone, trying on tablet, etc.

I think stadia has far less than a million active paying customers, between the lack of games, bugled marketing, performance issues, and no exclusives, it's already dead.
True. Except:
#the stadia app on Android was available for everyone quite late.
(most phones weren't compatible)
(even later for Ios)
#you don't need the android app to play Stadia on PC, Mac, which means the mediocre 3 millions hits could be higher in fact (or lower, we don't have precise datas)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Googs money can probably keep it on life support until streaming is how most play games.
Speaking of money, Google should pay me for doing all the job on Gaf lol.

But yup everything depends on Google's, they don't need to match Playstation 5 sold units since there is no generation with Stadia (just a few hardware upgrades). They just need to stay alive until internet improves everywhere.

At the end of 2021, if Stadia keeps announcing many games for 2022/2023 then we could keep faith in the service. (the 2021 releases were probably decided years ago... doesn't mean anything. For the moment the 2022/23 schedule is empty. Many games could have been cancelled)

Fat Frog

Googs money can probably keep it on life support until streaming is how most play games.

A Stadia game announced for 2023...
Hope it won't be cancelled and that more will follow for the next few years (and not only 2021)

Last edited:
Top Bottom