• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is closing down its Stadia cloud streaming service.

mckmas8808

Banned
TV and music are perfectly suited to streaming because they are passive forms of entertainment.

Gaming is active, it is input led. It is not suited to streaming and never will be as long as packet loss and latency exist.

This obsession with attempting to replicate the success that TV and music have had with streaming will continually fall flat on it's face unless there are great advancements in Internet technology on a global scale.

Many naive gamers seem to forget that music and TV have ALWAYS been streamed! It's called radio and Over The Air\Cable TV.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This obsession with attempting to replicate the success that TV and music have had with streaming will continually fall flat on it's face unless there are great advancements in Internet technology on a global scale.
And solving that pesky little thing called the speed of light/physics. Speeding up the speed of light? Let's do it!

Kacho

Gold Member
RIP Stadia. Guess I should check out the Stadia sub reddit for laughs. Last week I was watching reviews on GeForce now and watched one done by a Stadia fanboy. It was the cringiest thing I've ever seen and obviously aged poorly. lol

Spyxos

Too bad that it is closing. Today for the last time turned it on. I have played it quite a lot with friends in the 2-3 years Stadia. Xcloud is still in beta and doesn't look good.

Geforce Now has at the moment has the best hardware if you are willing to pay 20 per month, but they do not have any games. Let's see where this goes.

Last edited:

Banned
bc31223039708f3f81b83b3ed4629003.gif

Fahdis

My heart bleeds for these greedy fuckers who thought that just making a system cloud based only would succeed. Fuck them and fuck cloud gaming. Let’s just wait for the next “big thing” to appear in cloud gaming to see it fail as well. These greedy pricks will never learn.
Geforce Now is growing the same as Xcloud. Cloudgaming isn't going anywhere.

Waiting for myself or you guys to eat crow in 5 years. Let's take a bet.

JCK75

I had two friends who wanted Stadia and had me order it for them and paid me cash since I had tons of google credit.
I got Stadia for free.
I got refunds for everything and the total amount I got back paid off my Pixel 7.
on top of that they gave up on it and gave me their controllers a while back.. and now I'm going to use the bluetooth update to make them controllers for my PC and steam deck..

I am content with my Stadia journey.

BbMajor7th

The last media industry where writing a blank cheque won't get you into the big leagues. One of the most lucrative and fast growing industries in the world too - must boil the piss of Google, Disney, Amazon and the rest that they can't simply stroll into the gaming space and take it for themselves.

mckmas8808

Banned
My heart bleeds for these greedy fuckers who thought that just making a system cloud based only would succeed. Fuck them and fuck cloud gaming. Let’s just wait for the next “big thing” to appear in cloud gaming to see it fail as well. These greedy pricks will never learn.

And people still think cloud gaming will be the main future for video games lol.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

If you have a Stadia controller, be sure to put it in Bluetooth mode before the end of the year (when Google will be shutting down the ability to change it over).

How do I pair my controller using Bluetooth?
After switching your controller into Bluetooth mode, press and hold the “Y + Stadia” buttons for 2 seconds to enter pairing mode. The status light will flash orange. Then, go to the device you want to play on and pair your controller in the settings. Once paired and connected, the status light on the controller will turn solid white. Congrats! You’re ready to start playing. The next time you turn on the controller, it should automatically connect to the last paired device.

Years ago I wanted to give it a go and I picked up BG3 on there. Now the store shows the game as “refunded” but I haven’t seen a dime and have no idea how to inquire further.

Top Bottom