• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good news for you console folks --- Microsoft Xbox Manufacturing “Coming Back Online” Following COVID-19 Shutdown

https://wccftech.com/microsoft-manufacturing-back-online-xbox-surface-covid-19/
Before the outbreak COVID-19, this was set to be a big year for gaming hardware, with both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 set to launch this holiday season. Of course, the pandemic has potentially thrown those plans into disarray, particularly since the Wuhan region where the virus first emerged is at the heart of Chinese electronics manufacturing zone. Both Microsoft and Sony have said they’re committed to releasing their new hardware by the end of 2020, but beyond that, they’ve remained mum about what effect COVID-19 might have on supplies of the Xbox Series X and PS5.

Well, a new article from CNBC may provide a glint of hope. When asked whether Microsoft would be able to deliver the Xbox Series X and new Surface products this year, the company’s CEO was optimistic, saying “on the supply side we are getting back on rails.”

Overall, Nadella says Microsoft is well positioned to ride out this pandemic and accompanying economic downturn, and says their cloud infrastructure, which represents the fastest growing segment of their business, is holding up well.

We have a great balance sheet, we are a very diverse business. […] I feel confident we’ll come out of this, frankly, pretty strong. If this was a previous generation of data center architectures or software architectures, I don’t think we would have been able to deal with this crisis as effectively.
Of course, even if Microsoft manages to get new hardware on the market, it doesn’t guarantee there will be demand, as the coronavirus pandemic may drag on, forcing many around the world to tighten their belts. Also, while China seems to have a handle on COVID-19 for now (if you believe government reporting on the matter), the country could very well be hit with another wave of the virus. Everything is still very much up in the air at this point.

What do you think? Do you think new hardware from Microsoft and other companies will arrive as planned this year? If it does, will supplies be limited?
That's good news for xbox fans, I guess. I don't care personally, I want big fucking Navi.

giphy.gif

Its not like Microsoft doesnt have any plants in America,canada or mexico sony can just make the ps5s in japan,south korea and taiwan.
Oh, I don't think so. The vast majority of components are made and assembled in China. You're talking whole supply chains, manufacturing plants etc.
Plus the chips themselves, AMD parts, are all made by TSMC, which is in Taiwan. I don't know the whole situation with Covid in Taiwan, but I'm guessing it's hard to get those chips to China for assembly due to lockdowns. It's not impossible, I guess.
This just shows how reliant we are on bat eating Chinese.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
From what I've read, Xbox is manufactured in Singapore. SoC will come from Taiwan, while DRAM comes from South Korea. What does this have to do with China? Unless they're moving from Flextronics manufacturing to Foxconn?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
From what I've read, Xbox is manufactured in Singapore. SoC will come from Taiwan, while DRAM comes from South Korea. What does this have to do with China? Unless they're moving from Flextronics manufacturing to Foxconn?
They use both, Flextronics and Foxconn too, which means it could be build anywhere in the world, because Foxconn is massive. And they come from Tai-wan not from China, they just have, at least in China their factories for phones. When I was in high-school (or we are calling it middle-school) back in 2006, we visited Foxconn factory in here and they made motherboards in here.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft seems way a head of the game for a console launch hardware wise. They are lucky they can ramp up already with things going on. I wonder if they could of done a early fall September launch if not for covid-19.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
M1chl M1chl

I read that, at least for X1, only 10% was done at Foxconn. Fair point on the Mobo possibly being sourced there.

I vaguely remember having a PC mobo sold under the Foxconn brandname.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I see BOTH consoles launching in November but if one was to be delayed and I had to put money on it, I would say that PlayStation would get delayed.

All what you have been doing is going in consoles threads and shitting on them. Why are you here? We get it, you’re the superior PC master race. Fuck off already. Annoying prick

Just stating facts. I want great NEW games, NEW ideas, NEW experiences and worlds. You clowns bragging about hardware that is either already out and once released its already outdated. And hate to break more facts but i do own a console along side my PC. As i have said without Sony and Steam/PC this industry is DOA. Nintendo and MS dont expand their audience they are as stagnate and predicable as game forums and games urinalist.

Mista

Banned
Just stating facts. I want great NEW games, NEW ideas, NEW experiences and worlds. You clowns bragging about hardware that is either already out and once released its already outdated. And hate to break more facts but i do own a console along side my PC. As i have said without Sony and Steam/PC this industry is DOA. Nintendo and MS dont expand their audience they are as stagnate and predicable as game forums and games urinalist.
Trust me, if theres a clown here then its you. The amount of nonsense in this post

Waste of time not even bothering.

Dlacy13g

Microsoft seems way a head of the game for a console launch hardware wise. They are lucky they can ramp up already with things going on. I wonder if they could of done a early fall September launch if not for covid-19.
I think that actually may be there plan. In the past I believe console manufacturing would start in July/August for a November release window.

Piku_Ringo

Banned

This is some blackbond level fuckery here

Top Bottom