• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good lord, 1999 had a game for EVERYONE. How did anyone choose their Christmas present back then?

JordanN

Banned
Update: I hit the image limit. Only 50 games I could put in the OP. That said, plenty of users have helped kept track of the rest in this thread.

1999 was the year many people thought the world was going to end, yet despite this, every month had a must play title.

But when you got to December 25th, 1999, how did you know what game you wanted to play? Just look at this list,

WCW/nWo Thunder
Release: January 15, 1999
MzxzkjL.jpg

Super Smash Bros
Release: January 21, 1999
GtzSdLX.jpg

SimCity 3000
Release: February 1, 1999
4w4czRJ.jpg

Final Fantasy VIII
Release: February 11, 1999
kiDq6ao.jpg

Syphon Filter
Release: February 17, 1999
RFmmDV0.jpg

Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Release: February 23, 1999

uV7Zvpg.jpg

Silent Hill
Release: February 23, 1999
fP0QeUH.png

Power Stone
Release: February 25, 1999
Iiu7ZUj.jpg

Beetle Adventure Racing
Release: February 28, 1999
MccIqpt.jpg

Need for Speed: High Stakes
Release: March 1, 1999
ivYNd5m.jpg

EverQuest
Release: March 16, 1999

2cEB1xE.jpg

Um Jammer Lammy
Release: March 18, 1999

zNROhFO.jpg

Pokémon Snap
Release: March 21, 1999
Z1kDaM2.jpg

RollerCoaster Tycoon
Release: March 22, 1999

DbvrdM5.jpg

Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Release: March 23, 1999

rAbQKd4.jpg

Team Fortress Classic
Release: April 7, 1999

6Cxqwp6.jpg

Pokémon Pinball
Release: April 14, 1999

55KtBYF.jpg

Aliens versus Predator
Release: April 30, 1999
XvKxvKO.jpg

Midtown Madness
Release: April 30, 1999

3LsP8ax.jpg

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Release: May 10, 1999

P8S8vw5.jpg

Ape Escape
Release: May 31, 1999

NG9DAIS.jpg

Driver
Release: June 25, 1999

b8f6k35.jpg

Croc 2
Release: June 30. 1999
tte4dZj.jpg

Dungeon Keeper 2
Release: July 7, 1999

13vgHe8.jpg

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
Release: July 22, 1999
MxhoV1r.png

Outcast
Release: July 31, 1999
kKeJBEE.jpg

Madden NFL 2000
Release: July 31, 1999

uum25Rz.jpg

Soulcalibur
Release: August 5, 1999
mSfiHm0.jpg

System Shock 2
Release: August 11, 1999
1zvprzm.jpg

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Release: August 16, 1999
jeFY5ni.jpg

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
Release: August 31, 1999

G1I9kKe.jpg

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Release: September 9, 1999

TiUykPE.jpg

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Release: September 22, 1999
kI6ffKE.jpg

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Release: September 29, 1999
idZenJz.jpg

Crash Team Racing
Release: September 30, 1999
0geGCze.jpg

Age of Empires 2
Release: September 30, 1999
fOAGwPb.jpg

Jet Force Gemini
Release: October 11, 1999

8Rx34CA.jpg

Grand Theft Auto 2
Release: October 22, 1999
DqFRwEoVsAAhYOl.jpg

Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Release: October 29, 1999
biTNtl7.png

Medal of Honor
Release: October 31, 1999
Ekk4Gnu.jpg

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!
Release: November 2, 1999

qqb0CW1.jpg

Chrono Cross
Release: November 18, 1999

JwGIepJ.jpg

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation
Release: November 19, 1999

GGGgUSq.jpg

Pokémon Gold and Silver
Release: November 21, 1999
9oQ3wIP.png

Unreal Tournament
Release: November 22, 1999

Mf319Ix.jpg

Donkey Kong 64
Release: November 22, 1999
QjbP9k9.jpg

Turok: Rage Wars
Release:November 23, 1999
39DhXQy.jpg

Quake III Arena
Release: December 2, 1999
xERq1BT.jpg

Gran Turismo 2
Release: December 11, 1999
nRnczy6.jpg

Shenmue
Release: December 29, 1999
XeWcDUA.jpg

Fucking ridiculous. Who was able to play all these games in a single year?

Last edited:

KrisB

Wow, forgot how good that year was. I think between my brothers and I we ended up with 5 or 6 on that list.

Smash bros, FF8, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Silver, Ape Escape, Tony Hawks.

Manus

I was 9 years old that Christmas and I got to unwrap Donkey Kong 64 on Christmas Eve. Also had a birthday in December so got Pokemon Silver for that.

One of my favorite Christmas.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Pokemon Silver was my Xmas present two years later <3
Dont get why it took until April 2001 to release in Europe.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah I gotta say that I always heard 1998 was the gold standard for that generation.

I don't think there's ever been a year in gaming as huge as 1998 in terms of what it introduced and what games were released that year. Also not on that list is that the beta of EverQuest began in 1998.

The Alien

Banned
By my count there are:
  • 41 game covers shown
  • 4 games could be classified as having scantily clad, 'sexy' ladies on them (Tomb Raider, Everest, Gex, Dungeon Keeper)(Gex shouldn't even count)
  • Less than 10% of the games sold in 1999 (using this random sampling) use "sex" to sell to gamers.
  • Yet people like Anita Sarkesian are telling you the sky is falling.
Tinfoil-Hat Time:
You are being lied to on a daily basis.....
Don't believe your TV.
Don't trust the internet.
Do your own research for the truth.

Naibel

God the late 90's/early 2000's were insane. 1998, 1999 and 2001 were such outstanding years for gaming, my personal peak of this industry should I say.

PS1 and N64 reaching their apex, Saturn throwing a few masterpieces as a last hurrah (Radiant Silvergun, Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers), The Dreamcast coming out guns blazing with one of the greatest launch lineups ever, PC gaming becoming a major pillar with unmissable titles (where's Planescape: Torment by the way ? It was a highlight of 1999 as well.), the first Pokemon craze resurrecting the handheld market, Microsoft wowing everyone with the specs and demos of their future console, and the summer/autumn of 2001, holy fucking shiiiiiit ! What a time for gaming.

At least, as a European, some of those titles didn't reach our shores until later (early 2000 for GT2 and RE3, late 2000 for Shemnue and Pokemon Snap), much later (mid 2001 for Pokemon Gold/Silver), so a choice for a Christmas 99 pick was a tad more limited and manageable :)

I wasn't into gaming yet, but if I were, I'm sure I would've picked a GBC with Pokemon Red (which just came out in Oct. 99).

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
God the late 90's/early 2000's were insane. 1998, 1999 and 2001 were such outstanding years for gaming, my personal peak of this industry should I say.

PS1 and N64 reaching their apex, Saturn throwing a few masterpieces as a last hurrah (Radiant Silvergun, Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers), The Dreamcast coming out guns blazing with one of the greatest launch lineups ever, PC gaming becoming a major pillar with unmissable titles (where's Planescape: Torment by the way ? It was a highlight of 1999 as well.), the first Pokemon craze resurrecting the handheld market, Microsoft wowing everyone with the specs and demos of their future console, and the summer/autumn of 2001, holy fucking shiiiiiit ! What a time for gaming.

At least, as a European, some of those titles didn't reach our shores until later (early 2000 for GT2 and RE3, late 2000 for Shemnue and Pokemon Snap), much later (mid 2001 for Pokemon Gold/Silver), so a choice for a Christmas 99 pick was a tad more limited and manageable :)

I wasn't into gaming yet, but if I were, I'm sure I would've picked a GBC with Pokemon Red (which just came out in Oct. 99).
I went with the original release dates because you could still import those games from other countries.

Dealing with region lock... well, I think people chipped their consoles or if you had a gameboy it was always region free.

SkylineRKR

Was a great year. I played Driver, TH, FFVIII, RE3 on PSX. On PC played Midtown Madness, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament. Dreamcast came out as well with probably the best launch in history. And don't forget Arcades, they were around and I played a shit ton of Hydro Thunder in there.

Last edited:

the_master

It's an amazing tech demo. But features-wise, Mizzurna Falls came out 1 year and a few days earlier.
You mean this game?

Looks worse than the Shenmue Prototype for Saturn years earlier.

Edit: Awesome, the video I found is actually made by you?

Last edited:
PC gaming becoming a major pillar with unmissable titles

PC was THE major pillar for years. It had the best games and genres of any gaming platform. Its where near all genres we play today originated, got formed, evolved. FPS, RPG, adventure, strategy, mmo's, simulations, moba's, deathmatch, e-sports, lan games.

I always felt its a shame how so incredibly console focused this forum always was. Missing the creatiion of genres and the best games because they were so focused on consoles which i always felt had infinitely inferior titles.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I’m looking at the list of 1999 games and I forgot a few. I think I got Donkey Kong 64 and Grandia for Christmas, but I also got Gran Turismo 2 on Christmas Eve. I was playing a lot of UT/Q3A at the time as well.

More great games came out in that 1998-2000 period than have the past 10 years, it’s sad but true.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
PC was THE major pillar for years. It had the best games and genres of any gaming platform. Its where near all genres we play today originated, got formed, evolved. FPS, RPG, adventure, strategy, mmo's, simulations, moba's, deathmatch, e-sports, lan games.

I always felt its a shame how so incredibly console focused this forum always was. Missing the creatiion of genres and the best games because they were so focused on consoles which i always felt had infinitely inferior titles.
I like reading the comments where people still try and justify 30fps, when PC gamers where achieving frame rates as high as 400fps in the 90s.

Our standards for gaming has fallen considerably since then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom