• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good guy Jim saved PS Indies

envyzeal

So,

In an interview for gameindustry.biz, Shu Yoshida talks about how Jim Ryan had an important role on PS Indies current success.

According to Mr. Yoshida, the beloved Jimbo identified that the PS had an overwhelming focus on AAA titles during 2018 and 2019, and tasked teams to do something about it.
That led to Yoshida changing roles and Greg Rice being hired to promote PS Indies.

Video around 3:00 min mark

Complaining John Oliver GIF

Oh wait this is a good thing. Yoshida does seem to be doing a good job with them. Indies create many interesting titles.

Now we get the backstory to fully understand and appreciate his character. Truly the most anime of all time♥️

I freaking love Indie because that's where we get unique ideas/gameplay/mechanics every now and then: between the rogue-likes and souls-likes, of course

Lognor

Banned
But that goes against the narrative
Was there a narrative that Sony was doing bad with indies? They still get most indies, they're just not getting many exclusives or marketing them heavily. When you compare Sony to Nintendo or ms there's a big gap. Ms regularly putting indies on game pass and Nintendo heavily markets indies in directs and do get done exclusive deals. Sony has had a couple I can think of - fall guys, rocket league... probably others but not to the same extent

Kilau

Was there a narrative that Sony was doing bad with indies? They still get most indies, they're just not getting many exclusives or marketing them heavily. When you compare Sony to Nintendo or ms there's a big gap. Ms regularly putting indies on game pass and Nintendo heavily markets indies in directs and do get done exclusive deals. Sony has had a couple I can think of - fall guys, rocket league... probably others but not to the same extent
Around the start of last gen PS4 got the moniker of Indiestation 4, then they moved toward less indies some articles came out about Sony being hostile toward indie games. Guess Jimbo wanted to find a happy medium.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They've done really well at picking a small amount of them, but promoting them almost as first party titles with wide exposure. Sifu, Stray, Rollerdrome, Jett, Solar Ash. Xbox promotes 10x that many indies, so it's definitely a different approach. And Switch is the king of indie sales.

You mean to tell me the guy that basically made PlayStation in Europe, the guy that's responsible for the UEFA deal that PlayStation has in that region for over 25 years that tied its name with anything football related, that has been with PlayStation since say 0, that in its first year as CEO acquired Insomniac which everyone failed to do, decreased the PSNow price and doubled its userbase (not that it turned into a hit but still), and acquired more studios than any CEO before him knows what he's doing with Indies too?

I'm shocked!! Shocked!

It was obvious PlayStation only cared about Indies in the first half of ps4 generation and then didn't do anything else anymore. It's also obvious they turned things around in the last few years.

In the past 12 months we got Kena, Sifu, Stray. Clearly they know what they are doing.

You mean to tell me the guy that basically made PlayStation in Europe, the guy that's responsible for the UEFA deal that PlayStation has in that region for over 25 years that tied its name with anything football related, that has been with PlayStation since say 0, that in its first year as CEO acquired Insomniac which everyone failed to do, decreased the PSNow price and doubled its userbase (not that it turned into a hit but still), and acquired more studios than any CEO before him knows what he's doing with Indies too?

I'm shocked!! Shocked!

It was obvious PlayStation only cared about Indies in the first half of ps4 generation and then didn't do anything else anymore. It's also obvious they turned things around in the last few years.

In the past 12 months we got Kena, Sifu, Stray. Clearly they know what they are doing.
Well....this jimbo dude Is facing and actual challenge now (not the cakewalk Europe has been)

Let's see what Jimbo is really made of.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What did he do? Never really followed whatever drama was going on.
It will venture into politics and motivated censorship, virtue signaling and the whole 9 yards. And possibly explains the butthurt by him when he was canned by Jim Ryan, and the more middle of the road (coexist and respect each other's views) approach Jim seems to possess for Sony and its studios. As in, don't piss off your peers or customers based on ideological extremes.

That's all I am going to say on that, since it will get too political.

Last edited:

TexMex

No he's the devil. He kept playstation AAA releases rolling, added more revenue via PC/tv/movies, expanded into GaaS and mobile, and continues to innovate with psvr2. Totally the worst. We should burn him at the stake.

You say this like most anyone here would view expanding into movies, television, mobile games and GaaS as a good thing.

zedinen

Well....this jimbo dude Is facing and actual challenge now (not the cakewalk Europe has been)

Let's see what Jimbo is really made of.

Xbox 360 leads PS3 in Europe by 1 million units (December 2008)

Jim Ryan was named SCEE Co-COO in 2009 (April) and CEO in 2011 (June)

PS3 hit 30 million in EUR/PAL countries (December 2012).

The PS3 finished ahead of the Wii in PAL region.

17l.jpg

Meanwhile, Jack Tretton made PlayStation the laughingstock of America:

Jack Tretton: "I'll give you $1,200 if you find a PS3 in stock for more than 5 min"

Jack Tretton: "PS3 Is Just Hitting Its Stride"

Jack Tretton: 360 "running out of steam," Nintendo makes "babysitting tools

12l.jpg

The fact that you are asking that question is enough to me to know your cognitive capacity.

I am just going to give ONE example:

PS5 price increase didn't take effect in the United States.
Well....you know where it had an increase? UK...and it's still #1 there.

Sony has the same things to worry about as always. They will still come out on top. It's already happening.

Didn't PS3 released one year after the 360? And 100 dollars more expensive?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So he lowered Sonys AAA budgets under the guise of “ helping indies “ to pinch Pennie’s .. got it

😂🤣

Top Bottom