• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| 4-Player Split Screen James Bonding

nkarafo

The controls are sluggish

That's factually wrong since you can configure them to be just like any modern shooter.

the level design is simplistic and boring

As opposed to later shooters that have linear level design which is basically a corridor?

the guns feel floaty

Personally i love how the guns feel detached from the camera.

the graphics are awful and muddy

Sure, it's a N64 game and this is just emulation.

the encounters are overly scripted

Not sure what you mean with this.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I just replayed the game last year on my N64 and the game still holds up pretty nicely.

Game controls perfectly fine, and it's designed to be played like that and at such lower framerates. There's a reason why enemies take so long to do something as simple as shoot at you.

Enjoy this one console bros, I'm kinda bummed since I thought this was coming to PC Gamepass too but whatever, I'll have to keep playing the original game.

nkarafo

How/where do you configure them?

I'm talking about the N64 original, i have no idea how it will work on Switch.

On the N64 you choose 1.2 and hold the controller from the left side.

I'm kinda bummed since I thought this was coming to PC Gamepass too but whatever, I'll have to keep playing the original game.

You are not losing much since this release is pretty much the original game emulated. You should be able to have the same or better results emulating it yourself.

Last edited:

Aldynes

First of all, Goldeneye on N64 is on my top 5 games of all time, beat it countless times on 00 agent and even did the par time requirements to unlock the best cheats.

Played on Xbox Series X.

This "port" is absolutely abysmal and I can't believe how on earth after 25 years, this "thing" is all we got.

-Frame rate is slow ( kind of 25 fps sluggish ) and inconsistant on top of that even outside of gunfights.

-Controls are completely different from the N64 version it's one step forward, two steps behind : no more quick lean, no more instant full speed movement with 1.2 controls who worked like butons presses and granted you basically always run mode instead of slowly building momentum to achieve full speed, completely kills the flow of gameplay, no more quick shot and single fire techniques by holding the fire butons and taping reload like on N64 pad.

-Graphics are bugged, level geometry show gaps between polygons where you can see into the void and this happens everywhere, hell even the first starting area of DAM is riddled with this.

-No online multiplayer...

So in conclusion : purists will hate it, everyone else will find it boring, sluggish and full of bugs and will wonder why Boomers even liked it back in the days.

What a shit show, This is still better than the "nothing" we got during 25 years, but what could have been if this was at the very least the Xbox Live Arcade version with HD textures options, better framerate and level of attention this cancelled version got, may I remind you this cancelled version was fine for an 2008 release on a small XBLA service for the 10 year anniversary of the game, now for the 25th anniversary all we got a simple upscale port with worse controls and bugs.

Haven't played this in a LONG time, I'm really looking forward to experiencing the campaign again.

I always liked Pierce as Bond. I had some brits at my bar one day and we got to talking about James Bond somehow. Apparently, Brosnan's Bond was hated by most of the British. Now I want to hear UK gaffer's opinions, I know we got some on here.

edited for freakin autocorrect

Last edited:

Moses85

No No No GIF
lucious lyon wtf GIF

nkarafo

All these official emulation releases are always less than the bare minimum.

It would be nice if they cared. They could make the N64 games look better, not only upscaled. As an example, here's how F-Zero X looks without the draw distance LOD:

UsEZAeT.png

tf3Bu8k.png

saMtfg2.png

It almost looks like a different game. You finally realize how big those tracks really are. You can even see the opponents race in the far distant tracks.

This is just a simple mod. Author said it even works on the real N64 but much slower. But on emulators it works like a charm.

Unlimited LOD also makes other games, like Zelda, look better. It would be nice if all those re-releases made use of the more powerful hardware to remove all those limitations. But they don't care. Best i seen them do was to remodel/upscale Mario's mustache and UI elements in the Anniversary Mario 64 release.

Last edited:

Markio128

Don't believe the haters (many of whom have never even played it) and fire it up. I'm gonna dig into it today.
If I try it, it’ll likely be on the switch because the visuals will hold up a little better in handheld mode I reckon. It was one of my favourite games of all time though.

Deerock71

If I try it, it’ll likely be on the switch because the visuals will hold up a little better in handheld mode I reckon. It was one of my favourite games of all time though.
I have forced the Switch to get as close to modern shooters (control-wise) as it can get. I'll edit post numbers in a moment.

EDIT see posts 41 and 66.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm talking about the N64 original, i have no idea how it will work on Switch.

On the N64 you choose 1.2 and hold the controller from the left side.
Ok. gonna have to try the N64 controller now because I can't move proper. I guess I can switch the joysticks in the main Switch, but could be too much.

SCB3

I wish the Switch N64 controller was in stock, perfect for this game

I have this on Xbox and Switch now, no idea where to play it, maybe a run through both

Completed first 3 levels on series x.

The new controls are sound imo though you can customise and use old settings if you prefer (such as non fixed aiming). New comers will be able to jump straight in without learning the set up as they would have to on the original.

Framerate is good (far better than N64) but has occasional odd drop for no apparent reason. There are graphical glitches on some polygonal edges on the odd bit of scenary but the original was not perfect either - HD just makes it more obvious.

The sound is sadly 100% N64 quality. I was hoping for an improved quality. I didn't notice issues with "missing sounds" reported on the switch version.

And dear god the text looks bad on hd tv vs a crt, I dont see why they didnt put in better resolution text to compensate. The textures are nice and sharp compared to the N64 and the visibility distance is much improved.

Its a sound emulation for a free gamepass game. It isn't up to the level of perfect dark remaster, but the game is here and plays well. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Thabass

have you ever heard of this mystical thing called "options menu"?

because there you can use different control schemes! crazy I know!
Except it doesn't contain a modern control scheme. However, I have learned there's a way mess with Switch control mapping in the Switch menu to make it play more modern.

nkarafo

Looks like mip-mapping is not emulated at all.

Though, it might be for the best since in this game it would look ugly with the upscale. But i'm not sure if it will cause weird glitches at some spots.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Deathloop when it first launched on PS5 played way worse, just one example.

they took a year to fix the dogshit controls of that game on console.

another one that plays absolutely worse is YES RDR2... which... you know... has a First person mode, which plays like pure diarrhea.

it's also a very big difference to say "modern shooters feel better to play" and "this is unplayable"
The aiming in this is FAR worse than Deathloop ever was.

This plays okay for how old it is, but other than that...

The aiming has this horrible aim acceleration for turning back and forth quickly, but then the aiming slows way the fuck down when turning around normally.

RedC

I'm not seeing an update for Rare Replay. Anyone else got GoldenEye via Rare Replay?
Do you own it digitally?

If so, then you can just search for it on the store and download it OR press start on the Rare Replay icon, click Manage game and add-ons, press A on Rare Replay bar, click Manage installing on HD/SSD, and select Golden 007, then save changes and it will install.

If you own Rare Replay on physical disc then unfortunately, you're shit out of luck and have to either subscribe to Game Pass or buy Rare Replay digitally to play it.

Last edited:

Peter303

Do you own it digitally?

If so, then you can just search for it on the store and download it OR press start on the Rare Replay icon, click Manage game and add-ons, press A on Rare Replay bar, click Manage installing on HD/SSD, and select Golden 007, then save changes and it will install.

If you own Rare Replay on physical disc then unfortunately, you're shit out of luck and have to either subscribe to Game Pass or buy Rare Replay digitally to play it.
Yeah, digital. It wasn't there as a Rare Replay add on but I found it hidden away in my library. Got it queued up for download now, Thanks.

BlackTron

Tried it on Xbox...not that impressive. The thing is I've already played the rom on my Xbox but that time, I was able to map C buttons to A/B/X/Y like a 64 control scheme...you can't do that here. I didn't get the constant framerate drops either. And seeing as there's not even an online mode, what's the point?

I have Switch Online but not the expansion pack and I'm not gonna sign up just to play this game online if it doesn't even have matchmaking...lol

Shame that this isn’t a great port. Played it a month or so ago at an arcade bar in London and it’s fucking awful on the N64. I loved this as a kid back in the 90s but this is not good now.

RedC

Yeah, digital. It wasn't there as a Rare Replay add on but I found it hidden away in my library. Got it queued up for download now, Thanks.
Glad you got it running.

I mistakenly thought it was a Rare Replay add on because I could've sworn I heard a Rare developer saying it was during a podcast with Larry Hyrb, but it's likely I misheard him like the dumbass I am.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Going by the imbeciles on these videos, you might want to add the simple steps on how to remap the controls on the Switch version in the OP, switch the sticks and triggers around in the Switch settings and on which in-game setting to be for a modern scheme. Some people really are too stupid.
Create a control profile for GoldenEye

Remap the left stick to function as right
Remap the right stick to function as left

Remap ZR to function as ZL
Remap ZL to function as L

Optionally remap L to function as B
Optionally remap R to function as A

You will now have to navigate menus using the right stick and either A/B as usual or L/R if you followed the optional steps (to reload, use items and switch weapons without letting go of the stick to reach the face buttons).

Pause GoldenEye and go over to Controls
Switch Control Style from 1.1 Honey to 1.2 Solitaire
Go to Settings and set Look Up/Down to Upright

Granted this means the left stick offers digital movement only just like the d-pad (which is fine for this game). I'm not sure if you can customize on Switch in as much detail as PC emulators to use the dual analog Control Style 2.4 Goodhead and remap accordingly. If that's possible then rewrite the steps, I don't have a Switch myself.
I wonder if they played other N64 emulated games like OoT or SM64 without remapping the c buttons to the right stick then whined and cried (one guy above mentions the c buttons are on x and y only on his set up, I guess the other two are on the shoulder buttons, these games would suck) lol.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I'll check it out on Game Pass at some point for nostalgia's sake. But it's still crazy to me considering you could emulate it and probably get the same results (if not better). So on one hand, still neat that they did this, on the other it feels lazy to me. Wild that something like this took so long to happen.

From my understanding it's a 1:1 emulated port, which is what fans of the OG would want. I don't understand people complaining about gameplay mechanics. Of course they're dated, it's a damn game from 1997, lmao.

The Stig

So Rare Replay is the only way to own this?

Why oh why hasn’t Rare Replay been ported to PC Microsoft? I’m sitting on a digital copy that should be Cross buy lol
same here. srsly. i dont want to have to fish my xbone out of the closet for this.

MacReady13

Haven’t played this since I was a teen in the late 90’s! Downloaded yesterday on Series X as i have Rare Replay and showed it to my kids. Game is still as brilliant today as it was in the late 90’s! Kids loved it as well. They laughed at the start seeing the graphics and asking if I thought back then this was as good as it could get. After that though I explained the way the game was groundbreaking for it’s time and they sat and watched and really enjoy it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With GoldenEye 007 out on Nintendo Switch Online, you HAVE to check out these wild cheat codes!

Level Unlock Cheats:

Facility
L Button + R Button + C-Up
R Button + C-Left
L Button + Left
R Button + C-Up
L Button + Left
R Button + C-Down
L Button + C-Right
R Button + Right
L Button + R Button + C-Up
L Button + Right