• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| 4-Player Split Screen James Bonding

Deerock71

For switch players..

In the Switch menu:
  1. Create a control profile for Goldeneye
  2. Remap the left analog stick to function as right analog
  3. Remap the right analog stick to function as left analog
  4. Remap ZR button to function as ZL, so you can fire with ZR
  5. Remap ZL to function as L, so you can manual aim with ZL
  6. (Optional) remap L to function as B, so you can activate things with L.
  7. (Optional) remap R to function as A, so you can switch weapons with R.
  8. (You will now have to navigate using the right analog stick and either A/B or L/R, depending on whether you followed steps 6 and 7.)
  9. Launch Goldeneye and begin a mission, navigating menus with the right analog stick.
  10. Pause, and go over to controls.
  11. Switch from 1.1 Honey to 1.2 Solitaire.
  12. Go over to Settings, and turn the Look Up/Down setting to Upright.
You will now have modern controls! Only issue is that you will only be able to walk in 8 directions, since the stick only emulates the C buttons.
I tried these, and I've lost the ability to reload. It's almost perfect.

RedC

I could be wrong, but I do not believe it did. Perfect Dark did for sure, though.
https://gametyrant.com/news/n64-games-that-had-widescreen-support-part-1-anamorphic-widescreen
The year is 1997 and Rare has just released GoldenEye 007 to critical acclaim. Topping bestseller lists for months, GoldenEye proved that not only could a shooter be done on consoles, it could also be done in a fashion to rival most PC games at the time. GoldenEye also holds the distinction of being the first title released on a Nintendo platform to include a widescreen viewing mode! A quick visit to the pause screen and a few menus over, you can see down at the bottom a “screen” and “ratio” option. Utilizing the 16:9 ratio we get a wonderful anamorphic widescreen presentation of the beloved N64 shooter! Unfortunately, 2D elements such as the start menu and HUD will be stretched in this method, but it works for both single player and multiplayer! There are ways to get wider view angles utilizing the screen modes but those will be covered next time, as they require letterboxing!

Kacho

Gold Member
The nostalgia kicking into overdrive. Holy shit.
Happy Black Girl GIF

Forgot how fucking epic the soundtrack is. Bout to smoke a bowl to enhance this shit.

Banned
the Xbox port is fucking ASS... feels like a shitty rom hack

wtf did the devs do? vertices snap to an invisible pixel grid like some PS1 game (vertex jitter), which is not how the N64 worked as it had a floating point unit for fucks sake!

also they fucked up the controls. the default settings for example let you walk while holding the aim button, which means the only way to zoom in and out with the sniper rifle is to walk forward or backwards... like wtf?
now, you can turn that off, but even if you do that the controls aren't like the original game.

in the original game if you hold the aim button you can "lean" (in reality you walk) a bit left and right, and instantly snap back to center by letting the stick go.
in this port you can just normally strafe while aiming. which would be a cool option, but it isn't an option it's forced.

further more, the game has very obvious gaps between polygons, which gets exaggerated by the vertex jitter.

so in conclusion,
the graphics look weird and incorrect... (and the performance isn't good either)

and adding options to the game is fine, but what IMO is not fine is to release a port like this and not offer a way to play it like the original game played.

this is doubly bad because we already saw what could have been with the Xbox 360 remaster that also allowed og graphics.

Last edited:

Banned
Holy fuck. The Switch version is just the N64 rom with no modern controls.

Play the Xbox version if you need your fix, the Switch version even with multiplayer is unplayable to me.

have you ever heard of this mystical thing called "options menu"?

because there you can use different control schemes! crazy I know!

Banned
The controls are sluggish,

sluggish? this has more direct feeling controls than a shitload of modern AAA games that put animation priority first and playability last, best example RDR2, which plays like absolute garbage.

the level design is simplistic and boring,

play on double agent and see of it's still simplistic and boring. higher difficulties add more objectives and many levels have a bunch of intricate designs

the guns feel floaty,

floaty? it has a strong autoaim for sure, but the guns feel absolutely fine

the graphics are awful and muddy,

it's an N64 game, and that doesn't influence the playability of the game at all.

the encounters are overly scripted and...

except they aren't scripted whatsoever. enemies are placed at specific spawns each time you start a mission. they then either have a certain path they walk or a specific spot they guard. which is pretty much like most shooters work even today.

you can stealth your way through many passages or go guns blazing

...it's just an old-ass game with little to offer but charm.

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

ByWatterson

sluggish? this has more direct feeling controls than a shitload of modern AAA games that put animation priority first and playability last, best example RDR2, which plays like absolute garbage.

play on double agent and see of it's still simplistic and boring. higher difficulties add more objectives and many levels have a bunch of intricate designs

floaty? it has a strong autoaim for sure, but the guns feel absolutely fine

it's an N64 game, and that doesn't influence the playability of the game at all.

except they aren't scripted whatsoever. enemies are placed at specific spawns each time you start a mission. they then either have a certain path they walk or a specific spot they guard. which is pretty much like most shooters work even today

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

My dude, the enemy spawns are so predictable that I knew exactly which bathroom stalls to open first.

Twenty five years later.

And absolute LOL comparing it to....Red Dead? A third person open world game? There is not one, not ONE major FPS that feels worse than this today. Games have moved so far past what this is that it feels and looks awful to play.

It's okay to admit games today are much, much better than when we were kids. Seriously. You can let go.

Kacho

Gold Member
Oh come on, you know why.

The controls are sluggish, the level design is simplistic and boring, the guns feel floaty, the graphics are awful and muddy, the encounters are overly scripted and...

...it's just an old-ass game with little to offer but charm.
Nothing wrong with not being able to stomach good old games. As always ymmv depending on the game.

Not sure I’d call the controls sluggish with two sticks though. You can fly through levels annihilating slavs. Weapon selection is cumbersome sure, but it works like the old Doom and build engine console ports so you learn to deal with it. At least I do.

Play on 00 if you want more challenge and complexity as I’m sure you’re aware since you played it back in the day. Part of the fun of PD and GE is working your way up through the difficulties and unlocking goodies along the way.

Big head mode
giphy.gif

Banned
My dude, the enemy spawns are so predictable that I knew exactly which bathroom stalls to open first.

Twenty five years later.

And absolute LOL comparing it to....Red Dead? A third person open world game? There is not one, not ONE major FPS that feels worse than this today. Games have moved so far past what this is that it feels and looks awful to play.

It's okay to admit games today are much, much better than when we were kids. Seriously. You can let go.

Deathloop when it first launched on PS5 played way worse, just one example.

they took a year to fix the dogshit controls of that game on console.

another one that plays absolutely worse is YES RDR2... which... you know... has a First person mode, which plays like pure diarrhea.

it's also a very big difference to say "modern shooters feel better to play" and "this is unplayable"

Deerock71

ALL RIGHT! I switched the sticks and the aim and the trigger, and not much else on the 1.2 setting on the Switch. I just have to live with A switching weapons and B reloading/action, and it's feeling pretty great on the Switch.

And to all y'all stating this is all about nostalgia, it's okay to just admit you're used to pussying out and ducking under the nearest plank to magically regenerate health; this is one of those old-school FPSes that aren't shy about showing you how weak your game is.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

This is one of the most anti consumer releases in history: shitty controls on switch by default but online play is exclusive. On Xbox Good controls and graphics on the system with the best multiplayer infrastructure is split screen only: single player is so much more fun on Xbox it’s not even funny. My dream is that online is a timed exclusive because I can’t see anyone clamoring for friends only multi on switch with no lobbies for playing with strangers. If anyone’s interested here’s my friend code though

Sw459893747004

Last edited:
Played about half of it on xbox. Emulation has a few graphical glitches but it generally runs well with good frame pacing. Odd slowdown here and there.

Not ideal but if this is the only way we can have the game it's better than nothing.

Edit: sound seems fucked through a headset. It sounds sort or raspy and stretched.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Playing this game for the first time since I never had a N64 and never played it emulated. I'm surprised it's actually quite fun. Playing on Switch and the controls aren't good but I created a control profile for it and it's much better.

Since I'm a noob at this, how do you neutralize alarms? I finished the first level jumping but then I failed because I didn't neutralize alarms.

Going to try this on Xbox see how it is there.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

Playing this on Switch with an N64 controller and I feel like someone who’s playing video games for the first time. My Bond is super drunk and I’m some generous auto aim away from giving up. I don’t even know if I want to get used to this control scheme again after all these years but the game has otherwise aged better than I expected.

No online mode is a killer for me. Its how me and my best friend got to know each other, and we are desperate to play it again (he lives a fair distance away now). We were hoping for split screen and online so our wives could join in.. Get a foursome going (bow chicka wow wow)

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

keefged4

can u run the N64-rom in 60fps via emulation on pc?
Yes. This version isn't bad per se, its just extremely bare bones. You can run Goldeneye on a potato with an emulator at similar resolutions and have been able to for a while. It's a real shame the xbox version isn't the remaster.

Neff

in the original game if you hold the aim button you can "lean" (in reality you walk) a bit left and right, and instantly snap back to center by letting the stick go.

Yeah I've messed around with the options/schemes a bunch and there's no way I can see of doing the snap lean, it's annoying. The fact that the old aim style is disabled by default sucks because a lot of folks are simply not going to notice and wonder why it feels different. I can see that they strived to accommodate modern control expectations as much as possible, but it's such a slapdash effort to the point where you can't play it 100% like the original.

It's still a good time but it really is a poor port of a classic. I usually expect much better from Code Mystics.

Naked Lunch

Dang. Rare Replay is one of the few Xbox games I have on disc for some reason.
Ive been meaning to switch to a digital version for a while - it always goes on sale for $7. More waiting...

Phobos Base

Dang. Rare Replay is one of the few Xbox games I have on disc for some reason.
Ive been meaning to switch to a digital version for a while - it always goes on sale for $7. More waiting...

I've got a disc but it showed up for me, unless that's because I have Game Pass?

TheMan

Impressions are bad enough that I’m probably not gonna bother. Knowing myself, the nostalgia would wear off fast and what we’re left with just isn’t good enough

Top Bottom