• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye’s software trademark has been renewed amidst remaster reports (VCG)

kingfey

Banned

A trademark that allows the term Goldeneye to be used for “downloadable electronic game software” has been granted a second extension this week, amidst speculation about a 007 Goldeneye HD remaster.

Danjaq, LLC, the holding company that owns many of the trademarks, characters and other elements of the James Bond franchise was granted a second extension to use the trademark on March 15, 2022 in several classifications.

It has recently been reported that the long-rumoured HD remaster of the classic shooter could be announced imminently – a claim that VGC’s own sources had corroborated. However, it’s likely that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has altered timespans, due to the heavy Soviet themes of the N64 game.

Goldeneye 007 has infamously been somewhat of a legal nightmare to rerelease in the past, with rights holders Nintendo, Microsoft and MGM theoretically all required to approve a new version of the N64 classic

However, 2022 marks the 60th anniversary of the James Bond franchise, leading to expectations that the most iconic video game in the franchise’s history could finally be re-released as part of the celebration.

And there is some evidence that this could happen: in January, Rare developers were spotted unlocking Xbox Achievements for Goldeneye 007, implying that a previously-cancelled Xbox 360 remaster could finally be officially released for modern platforms.

Last year it was confirmed that Microsoft had to shelve an already completed remaster of the classic N64 game for the Xbox 360, following licensing issues and miscommunication between license holders and a young team who rushed ahead to create it, despite a deal for the game having never been signed.

A working build of GoldenEye 007’s cancelled Xbox 360 remaster was leaked onto file-sharing sites in early 2021, allowing those with access to the files to play it via a modded console or PC emulator.

At the time, VGC reviewed the leaked GoldenEye Xbox build and called it “the greatest remaster you’ll likely never play”.

Speaking for the first time to VGC in a GoldenEye Xbox interview last year, the canned remaster’s co-directors said they didn’t think it would ever be officially released.

“It’s kind of bittersweet,” co-director Chris Tilston said of seeing the GoldenEye remaster leak into the public domain. “It means people get to see the work that was done, but it also masks some of the cockups that went on behind the scenes.”

Co-director Mark Edmonds added: “The thing that I find strangest is, why now? Why leak it after all this time? Someone must have had this for all those years. It just seems strange to me.

“When I first heard about it, it almost made me think, are Microsoft leaking it on purpose for some reason? (Laughs) I don’t think that would make sense, but it does make you wonder.”

Shifty

It's precious how this is worded as if the remaster isn't already the industry's worst-kept secret by virtue of having been leaked in a playable form like a year or two ago. And it was damn good too.

Fuck that train level on 00 Agent though :messenger_angry: lousy sean bean with his cheating-ass perfect-disarm-needing bitch made escape timer.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Do you have any idea about what you're talking about? oof lol
61en8b1rdNL._SL1035_.jpg

images

816U3H6sfNL._SX342_.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never played Goldeneye on N64, but considering everyone on forums who played it claims it's the greatest shooter ever at the time, I cant wait to see how good a remaster version is and how many copies it sells too.

ManaByte

You're talking about the cancelled remaster from more than a decade ago and we are supposed to be excited because of "Goldeneye"

The remaster is fully playable. It was 100% complete. It just wasn't released because of Activision at the time. Now DANJAQ is controlling the Bond game license and isn't giving one mega publisher the exclusive rights. IO is working on their Bond game, and due to the licensing situation and the Bond anniversary, DANJAQ is allowing a re-release of the original game. The N64 original is going to be added to Switch Online and the XBLA HD version will be added to Gamepass. That's what this is about, not Activision's garbage cash-ins on the name.

nush

Gold Member
Co-director Mark Edmonds added: “The thing that I find strangest is, why now? Why leak it after all this time? Someone must have had this for all those years. It just seems strange to me.

Here's a guy that knows nothing about the unreleased games scene. You hold onto those games for the longest time so that whatever company created it will no longer care to track down who leaked it, if that company even exists at all by then. Also the longer you hold it often the value will go up so it's a good investment to sell on either to a high end collector or a community purchase.

Also there's an inner circle of unreleased game collectors who will share with each other like for like under a gentleman's agreement not to leak. But eventually it will get shared to a "Trusted" friend of a friend of a friend who will leak it for 15 minutes of fame.

I had this one since 1997;

nightmare-busters-e52484.jpg

It didn't get leaked until around 2010.

Top Bottom