• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Opportunity For The Switch To Be The Premiere xCloud Device

Stuart360

I think Gamepass will come to Nintendo. Another sizeable revenue stream for Xbox, while not really being a direct competitor in the way Playstation is.

Perhaps Nintendo will have integrated Xbox Game Pass into their ecosystem by the time Switch Pro releases later this year, allowing them to market the Pro as the definitive mobile platform for hardcore gamers. Imagine if Nintendo announced at a Direct that you could play all Bethesda titles through Xcloud Day 1 with a simple subscription...mic drop

Mr.ODST

Perhaps Nintendo will have integrated Xbox Game Pass into their ecosystem by the time Switch Pro releases later this year, allowing them to market the Pro as the definitive mobile platform for hardcore gamers. Imagine if Nintendo announced at a Direct that you could play all Bethesda titles through Xcloud Day 1 with a simple subscription...mic drop
This is a huge selling point for Nintendo to adopt gamepass, it would sell an absolute shitton of switches and add value to that platform.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Switch with Xcloud would be a formidable beast. Mario, Zelda, MK, Splatoon, Smash, Metroid, all the Nippon games plus streaming all of Bathesda’s games, Avowed, Halo, Forza, Perfect Dark, Everwild. It makes my cock erect just thinking about it.

Aroused Hard Ons GIF

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
They already have cloud streaming games like Control on the Switch. Allowing xCloud on their platform would encourage hardware sells. Can anyone think of a good reason why they shouldn't do it.

The premier Xcloud device is a mobile phone. There are a whole lot more of them around than there are Switches.

Last edited:

Fbh

Could definitely be great.
Though I think the logistics might be hard to figure out. Does MS pay Nintendo a monthly fee to have the service on Switch?, does Nintendo get a cut from microtrsansactions bought on Xcloud games when played through a Switch?

NickFire

I could definitely see Nintendo benefiting from this option with increased hardware sales. But I doubt there's enough profit on hardware alone for Nintendo to do it unless they got a cut from MS from subscribers who play on Switch. MS found a way to get EA pass in GP, so it's certainly possible if both sides try to make a deal.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dont see Nintendo doing this. At one point I did see potential for a joint partnership, but sales of switch hardware and software is so strong I'm not sure why they would take the chance on this cannibalizing switch software sales.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
I mean sure with wifi but I'd imagine a cell phone or tablet with 5G would be even better since then you don't need wifi plus would a lot of public wifi even be good enough for Xcloud?

Zoro7

Banned
Only Microsoft would benefit from this.
No one would go out and buy a switch just to stream games on that shitty screen.

FrankCaron

I dont see Nintendo doing this. At one point I did see potential for a joint partnership, but sales of switch hardware and software is so strong I'm not sure why they would take the chance on this cannibalizing switch software sales.
What cannibalization? Anyone who wants to play the scant few overlapping games that are both on Gamepass and on Switch would not be able to play those games offline if they didn't buy the native versions. Bad take, imo.

Mister Wolf

Just buy a series S then. It’s about the same price. Plus it’ll look better and play games from the hard drive.
Like I said it would make 0 sense for Nintendo.

You already got a Switch. A Series S cant play Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Eww, smear graphics on the go! veri neis. Terrible, laggy, blurry over the net x265? video signal on a 720p device ... yikes! Away with you!
Spy In The Wild Bird GIF by ThirteenWNET

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised when the new Switch is released that this deal has been in the works for a long time. It makes the most sense as I don't think they are each other as competitors. Maybe there is an opportunity for Nintendo to put a cloud service on Xbox as well.

If it does happen, this could be difficlut for Playstation as you would have two consoles in essence, now working together. Signing exclusive deals would be more expensive as a publisher would be missing a larger customer base who would have Xbox on their switch or vice versa.

I still think it's a relatively low chance of it happening though.

Would love it actually, kind of regret being cough up in the switch hype but being able to stream xbox games to it would be great.

Why would Nintendo do this? They are having no problems selling hardware, in fact aren't they having a problem making enough to keep up with demand? Anyway they are making the majority of their money selling tens of millions of fully priced $60 first party games with no price cut, the tiny amount of increased hardware sales gamepass would increase is pocket change in comparison.

THE DUCK

What cannibalization? Anyone who wants to play the scant few overlapping games that are both on Gamepass and on Switch would not be able to play those games offline if they didn't buy the native versions. Bad take, imo.

A casual gamer who sees xcloud as a viable gaming platform and has a game on gamepass, is 100% not buying the switch version. Also every minute spent playing gamepass is a potential minute away from a Nintendo first party game game. If you have a backlog of 10 gamepass games your less likely to go and buy a new switch game.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't see the appeal for Nintendo. They sold over 80M systems. Would more people buy a switch if they had gamepass? Probably, but would that reduce the amount of switch games that the existing users would buy? Probably too. So it is not clearly a plus for them and is thus very risky. Nintendo doesn't take those type of risks.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I don't see the appeal for Nintendo. They sold over 80M systems. Would more people buy a switch if they had gamepass? Probably, but would that reduce the amount of switch games that the existing users would buy? Probably too. So it is not clearly a plus for them and is thus very risky. Nintendo doesn't take those type of risks.
If Nintendo wants to get into the cloud space, they may be able to get their games on xbox as well. Aren't they working on a cloud solution?

But I do agree Nintendo is not known for those types of risk, especially when they are hardware focuses and do very well I'm that regard.

FrankCaron

A casual gamer who sees xcloud as a viable gaming platform and has a game on gamepass, is 100% not buying the switch version. Also every minute spent playing gamepass is a potential minute away from a Nintendo first party game game. If you have a backlog of 10 gamepass games your less likely to go and buy a new switch game.
If they were that tenuously held on the platform, they likely weren’t buying much anyway. Nintendo first party is under no threat at all. There is no equivalent.

Totally disagree. Still a bad take.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

If they were that tenuously held on the platform, they likely weren’t buying much anyway. Nintendo first party is under no threat at all. There is no equivalent.

Totally disagree. Still a bad take.

One opinion, could and most likely, be wrong, or Nintendo would have already jumped at the opportunity. Certainly they are smarter than both of us, thier billions in the bank give them that status.

Every game/movie/TV show is in a battle for our time and attention. No reason why they should ignore that fact. Making your competitors games easier to play on your own platform is stupidity. Beyond the one AAA pure gold Nintendo title per year (and even some of those are passed on, some may like Zelda, others mario) everything else is up for grabs.

Last edited:

Hugare

There are (possibly, haven't checked) a lot of games on Xcloud / Gamepass that are also sold on Nintendo's eshop

So Nintendo would be losing money by enabling MS streaming services

Many could think: "I dont need to buy anything from Nintendo's eshop, I already have too many games on Gamepass"

And what would Nintendo gain with this? Only MS would find it profitable

It's like enabling Steam / EGS on the Switch.

Won't happen.

People are not putting themselves on Nintendo's shoes, they are only seeing whats best for them as customers.

Last edited:

chriskun

It’s blatantly obvious why this would be a horrible business decision for nintendo and all of their partners and why all of those parties would not be in favor of this.

Top Bottom