• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden joystick award :TLOU2 wins the Ultimate GOTY and sweeps the award show

Woggleman

For the people who say this is the game of the generation for them, or even the best game ever, I'm really wondering, what games did you use to like in the past?

I'm asking this because, this game is extremely basic in its gameplay and structure, it's just about following a story. As someone who's always been into games focused on the gameplay (my favorite games are stuff like SSX, Tony Hawk, Bayonetta, Furi, Nier Automata etc.) I really find nothing in Last of Us really fun.

And of course that's just me, but I'm really wondering what you guys used to like in video games in the past, because stuff like this, basically interactive movies, didn't really exist before the ps3 era (if you don't count fmv stuff), so this confuses me, and it almost feels like people who love this are people who maybe only started enjoying video games with ps3 or ps4 era?

I'm also surprised how everyone on this forum suddenly seems to be okay with everything in the game, while everyone was hating on the woke stuff at release, but that's another subject.
I have been playing games since Colecovision and I think this is one of my top five of the gen but I am not one of those hardcore gamers who think that anything with a good story or cinematic flair is not a real game. Good stories in games a are a good thing but that is just me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I have been playing games since Colecovision and I think this is one of my top five of the gen but I am not one of those hardcore gamers who think that anything with a good story or cinematic flair is not a real game. Good stories in games a are a good thing but that is just me.
Yeah, good stories are good of course, but if the only thing a game has to offer is it's story well then, maybe you'll have more fun watching a movie.

Everytime I see praise for this game is becuse of it's story (which imo was badly paced and written) or it's graphics, but never for the gameplay. To me it felt like a tracheostomy simulator with a bunch of mediocre TPS sections here and there. The dog enemies where cool tho, I'll give it that.

Woggleman

Yeah, good stories are good of course, but if the only thing a game has to offer is it's story well then, maybe you'll have more fun watching a movie.

Everytime I see praise for this game is becuse of it's story (which imo was badly paced and written) or it's graphics, but never for the gameplay. To me it felt like a tracheostomy simulator with a bunch of mediocre TPS sections here and there. The dog enemies where cool tho, I'll give it that.
Even some people who hate the story praise the gameplay. The combat is some of the best I have played.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Even some people who hate the story praise the gameplay. The combat is some of the best I have played.
What would you say is making it that good? To me it felt pretty generic and like it bringed nothing new to the table.

Except the dogs which I thought were a pretty cool enemy to be honest.

Last edited:

Larxia

It's not about being hardcore gamer or anything, I'm not saying these games shouldn't exist at all, I myself enjoyed some "cinematic" games, but to the point of saying they are the best games ever made... clearly not, they really lack in gameplay depth for this, but they are fine as "side content".
I'm just genuinely curious in what kind of games people who love games like these, used to like before the ps3 era, because if often feels like a lot of players nowadays can only play stuff like this.

Woggleman

I loved the GTA series during the PS2 era and before that my favorite games were Final Fight, Street Fighter two, Gradius, Castlevania, Twisted Metal and others. Even before that I loved Zaxxon, Frenzy, Turbo, Arkanoid and others.

I go way back with gaming and even then I still love the marriage of gaming and cinematics in games like TLOU and RDR series.

DrAspirino

Banned
Whatever makes you sleep better sunshine. If that game you talking about was so amazing everybody would be talking about, but almost nobody does. Don't get me wrong, Flight Simulator is a good game but it's not anywhere near The last of us in terms of impact. The Last of Us 2 set new standards in story telling, narrative, animation, voice acting, it has an amazing soundtrack and gameplay is really good. Disagree all you want but they deserve every bit of praise and success. Cheers!!!
The Last of Us 2 is a good GAME, BUT is nothing technologically revolutionary. It's the evolution and perfection of CURRENT game development techniques, while what Asobo has done with FS2020 is simply revolutionary. It's like what EPIC has done with Unreal Engine 5: something that simply cannot be done on current-gen console hardware.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If that game you talking about was so amazing everybody would be talking about, but almost nobody does.
Thats just popularity, everyone talks about Fortnite because it popular. There are amazing games out there that barely gets talk about just because its niche and not popular.

K.S v2.0

Banned
Its called the golden (((JOYSTICK))) awards for a reason.

Tho, 's funny... One would think the ma'amtally ill want to lose the joystick, not plug one in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom