• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Winter Sale 2021 |OT| Free Games, New Games, Games You Own

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
GOG is having a Winter Sale from now until January 5th, 2022. They will have 5 free games, three sets of new releases, contests, and more. Over 3,500 DRM free games are currently on sale.

First free game:

SVwaeWB.png

Sale will have 48 hour flash sales
VSdyvWV.png

This is a thread for recommendations, keeping up with flash sales, as well as asking and answering any questions people might have about the games themselves, GOG, or life in general.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Disco Elysium for 17.99 seems like a great deal. I'm not sure I've seen it that low.
Do you (or anyone) know if Disco would work well on my laptop specs? Disco looks like a slow paced game so even my laptop should plow through it. But I just never know. I tried playing Fantasy General II at all lowest settings and turning off visual effects and probably couldnt even hit 20fps.

G2KYgnI.jpg

Last edited:

Stuart360

Do you (or anyone) know if Disco would work well on my laptop specs? Disco looks like a slow paced game so even my laptop should plow through it. But I just never know. I tried playing Fantasy General II at all lowest settings and turning off visual effects and probably couldnt even hit 20fps.

G2KYgnI.jpg
You will be fine Streets. The game is pretty light on specs -

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 11 compatible video card (integrated or dedicated with min 512MB memory)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 20 GB available space

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

G2KYgnI.jpg
I would think you'd be okay, the minimum requirements for the game just say you need an integrated graphics card. Like you said, the game doesn't have much action to speak of so if you can live with a potentially lower framerate you should be fine.

I've been curious about those Star Trek Armada games for years. They any good?
I loved theses games (especially 2) when they first released years ago. They're 4x games similar to Starcraft but with Star Trek ships, races, and characters. The second one definitely got more playtime in my circle because the local LAN multiplayer made it a staple at LAN parties. Both have generally forgettable storylines and the "campaign" is a sequence of missions with dialog / cutscenes sprinkled in between.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

G2KYgnI.jpg
I think so. If it comes down to it you can ask for a refund. The minimum specs ask for an Intel core duo.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I would think you'd be okay, the minimum requirements for the game just say you need an integrated graphics card. Like you said, the game doesn't have much action to speak of so if you can live with a potentially lower framerate you should be fine.

I loved theses games (especially 2) when they first released years ago. They're 4x games similar to Starcraft but with Star Trek ships, races, and characters. The second one definitely got more playtime in my circle because the local LAN multiplayer made it a staple at LAN parties. Both have generally forgettable storylines and the "campaign" is a sequence of missions with dialog / cutscenes sprinkled in between.
Thanks. I might just skip straight to two then.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cheers gents. I might grab it. $20 cdn. Will be my highest price PC purchase ever in modern era. lol. Last time I bought a PC game for full budget was probably Heroes of M&M 2 for $50 in the 90s!

Last edited:

jshackles

Thanks. I might just skip straight to two then.
That would probably be my recommendation. The first game is quaint but the second game improves on it in almost every way. Even though it only came out a year later (2001, vs the first game releasing in 2000) it feels like a generational leap forward. They obviously had a much higher budget with the sequel.

Guilty_AI

Quick question, they have Cyberpunk for $30. Is it worth it at that price?
Bought on their previous 50% off sale. Though game still has some jankyness to it, its easily becoming one of my all time favorite.

I'd say however its important to define what exactly you want from it.
-If you want a gta-style sandbox game or a bethesda style RPG, i'd say to ignore the game.
-If you want a great cyberpunk setting/story along an overall good action game, or you want a deus-ex style game, i can highly recommend it.

I also recommend exploring the mod community. Loads of great mods that can vastly improve on the experience, from some small but valuable tweaks to full gameplay rebalances.
I'm using these two currently (alongside some other minor ones) and i think they make the game a lot better.

Last edited:

manfestival

Quick question, they have Cyberpunk for $30. Is it worth it at that price?
Bought it for like $24 but at $30 it would be worth it imo. Definitely had issues and one major side mission that was completely broken when I played and beat the game a couple of months ago.

dave_d

Bought on their previous 50% off sale. Though game still has some jankyness to it, its easily becoming one of my all time favorite.

I'd say however its important to define what exactly you want from it.
-If you want a gta-style sandbox game or a bethesda style RPG, i'd say to ignore the game.
-If you want a great cyberpunk setting/story along an overall good action game, or you want a deus-ex style game, i can highly recommend it.

I also recommend exploring the mod community. Loads of great mods that can vastly improve on the experience, from some small but valuable tweaks to full gameplay rebalances.
I'm using these two currently (alongside some other minor ones) and i think they make the game a lot better.
Mostly looking for a decent action game that will show off what my 3070rtx can do. Sounds like it's decent at that.(I did like the Cyberpunk setting in Shadow Run so this might be interesting like that.)

Top Bottom