• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall PC Trailer (UE5 info was wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit -

oops

oops

----------------------------

EaahTgkUMAAqpUx

I do love a game that lets you bring down a mean god. Godfall's deity, Macros, sits above an army of vicious goons and you, a Valorant knight, have to take all of them down with swift combos and sweet special abilities. We got a special look at the game at the PC Gaming Show 2020, as you can see above.

As a Valorant knight, you are uniquely capable of equipping 'Valorplates', which are suits of armour that grant you different abilities. It makes me think of the game as a high fantasy take on Warframe, but with less crafting and more looting the bodies of your enemies. According to the Playstation blog, there are five weapon classes to play with, and you can fight with up to two friends in co-op.

As Sean mentions in the video above, the game is built in Unreal Engine 5, and might be one of the first games on PC to use that new engine tech. That's exciting from a technical perspective, but I do very much love a punchy game with loot in any engine. If this ends up being a colourful over-the-shoulder Diablo then I might get sucked in for dozens of hours.

Godfall is being developed by Counterplay Games and published by Gearbox. Counterplay created the ace and underappreciated Duelyst, which we liked a lot in our review. I look forward to seeing how that expertise for creating a sandbox of abilities in a card game translates to this hack 'n slash format. The game's due out later this year.

Last edited:
No way. Didn’t Epic themselves say UE5 is coming earliest 2021, and now this average looking UE4 looking title releasing this fall is supposed to be UE5?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No way. Didn’t Epic themselves say UE5 is coming earliest 2021, and now this average looking UE4 looking title releasing this fall is supposed to be UE5?
They said it would be available widely by 2021. That doesn't mean they haven't partnered with developers to get it running. If you want to use it right now you can't just go and get it like you can with UE4.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
We're talking about an engine here...

Why would Counterplay gets the engine before anyone else? The engine itself isn't yet ready (a preview version releases early 2021)

Its safe to say UE5 is not a from the ground up version and is likely built on the same base as ue4. So it's probably an early version of the engine that works but doesn't have all the features.

Getting a game out there and have developers work on it is the best way to see how it can be Improved.

Tenka Musou

Banned
Its safe to say UE5 is not a from the ground up version and is likely built on the same base as ue4. So it's probably an early version of the engine that works but doesn't have all the features.

Getting a game out there and have developers work on it is the best way to see how it can be Improved.
Doubt.png

ToadMan

There's no need to doubt - I just watched a PC demo where the devs presenter said its UE5...

Now that does raise some questions - is it UE4 with UE5 bits that are available?

Or is this a stealth delay announcement?

Or are they just planning to port to UE5 after release?

I can't see they'd build PS5 on UE4 and PC on UE5, but perhaps that's a possibility.

Weird to hear that anyway. If they stick to their release date they'll be the first UE5 game out of the gates before UE5 is even released!

Last edited:

jakinov

UE5 isn't even out yet. I call bullshit

They say UE5 is coming 2021 doesn't mean developers can't be using incomplete and less stable versions right now with a more stable versions packaged when the games launches at the end of year. The feedback can be very helpful from having devs use it before it releases. UE5 is a quasi/pseudo free engine. the 2021 release is likely when anyone can go and download it and is supporting all the platforms (mobille, pc, etc) and features they want for their official release. Hypothetically, if Gureilla games wanted to release their Decima engine next year publicly, and wanted to support certain featurs for that release. People could still be using their engine today without the features/support they want for a publicly released version.

Name-dropping Unreal Engine 5 might have been a misstep. People can contrast that stunning tech demo with this footage and draw uncharitable conclusions.

Framerate looks very choppy. Overall, graphics aren't very impressive.
Should I blame the stream?

CamHostage

UE4: they got it wrong on the PC Gaming Show

Well, good, then there's still hope for Unreal Engine 5 having better luck with clipping...
(Godfall looks fun and all, but they should have taken the capes off the character models for this preview; it wrecks all their hard work when all I'm seeing is capes blowing right through the swords sheathed on their backs in the establishing glory-shots of character walking through locales.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom