• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godfall Dev Expects PS5 SSD To Be ‘Biggest Overall Game-Changer’ In Next Few Years

Keith Lee, CEO of Godfall developer Counterplay Games:
Over the next few years I’d expect that the SSD may be the biggest overall game-changer. As we move from generic engine code designed to run on PC or PC to hand-tuned streaming pipeline developed specifically for the PS5 we should see amazing leaps in both content details as well as the speed with which this content loads.

This won’t just mean denser open worlds that load faster, but super-detailed small environments.

jaysius

Banned
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

Funny how it was "goodbye to loading screens" day one. Then to "almost no loading", to "Ps5 will load in 2 seconds and Xbox in 13 seconds". And now we won't see the ssd benefits till another few years lol.

Star Trek Applause GIF
wNNTrLn.jpg

Dennis Cabella of Innovina Interactive:

When asked about comparisons between the GPU speeds of both consoles – with the PS5 offering 10.28 TFLOPS vs. the Xbox Series X’s 12 TFLOPS – and the impact on development, the duo said, “We don’t think there will be much difference between the two consoles at this point.” What about the PS5’s solid state drive, which boasts a 5.5 GB/s read bandwidth (raw) and 8-9 GB/s (compressed) versus the Xbox Series X’s 2.4GB/s (raw) and 4.8GB/s (compressed)? When asked about advantages that the former could provide, the developers responded that, “Leveraging the texture streaming technology for this could be one point of advantage for the PS5.”

decisions

Sony better hope this is true, I think by the end of the gen PS5 will be viewed as a failure unless Cerny really did have an ace up his sleeve with this thing, that really will set PS5 exclusives apart.

As a PS5 owner, there are some benefits but Gamepass really is starting to bring in buyer's remorse, considering the main argument against choosing XSX is the PS5 exclusives, of which there currently is...one.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Funny how it was "goodbye to loading screens" day one. Then to "almost no loading", to "Ps5 will load in 2 seconds and Xbox in 13 seconds". And now we won't see the ssd benefits till another few years lol.

Star Trek Applause GIF

We've already seen what the SSD can do in loading for instance SM:MM and will be even more apparent in A Rift Apart. Try harder.

Oh look another drive-by rating by one of the usual suspects. What is funny about it? Do the load times in Miles Morales and what we have seen of level loading in Rift Apart not show 'what the SSD is capable of? Please do elaborate if you can, jaysius.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Star Trek Applause GIF
Yea he clearly talking about SSDs in general. As we've already seen the Series X and PS5 SSDs are pretty much on par with each other. SSDs are definitely going to be very beneficial for both net gen systems.

Last edited:

Flintty

This reads like a PR machine in response mode to me, but we’ll see.

I’m already enjoying the benefits of SSD, let’s see how much better it gets...

Jon Neu

Banned

Concern

Concern Concern why don't you act like a man and respond to my question? These damn numb skulls only react with emojis, FML.

Fast load times? That's pretty much it. No "game changer" for a few years.

People love bringing up the games not on Xbox but every game on both has almost identical load times.

Of you'll move the goalposts saying "bu bu but ds and sm aren't possible on Xbox". Thats why I rather just read and laugh at these posts lol.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yup. Everything right now is probably just running in legacy mode for compatibility reasons. Once devs (specially Sony’s first party studios) unleash the power of the I/O subsystem hell will break lose and tears will be shed.
Yup. Mark Cerny didn't put such an emphasis on I/O, the 12 channel SSD with different priority levels and the geometry engine for nothing. PS5 exclusives are going to look amazing once the SSD frees up ram for denser textures and other things 🔥

Top Bottom