• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok's Thor Is The Peak Of Male Performance, Powerlifting Champion Says

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Moments after they revealed a new trailer for God of War: Ragnarok, the studio behind the game, Sony Santa Monica, tweeted pictures of the cast, including Thor. Sections of internet were immediately annoyed that Thor looks nothing like chiselled hunk Chris Hemsworth. This Thor has a rather prominent belly, but is he just fat? Or is he, to use a modern term, “thicc”.

Thor-1229x1536.jpg

There seems to be some confusion as to whether such a large chap could be an accurate portrayal of Odin’s most powerful warrior, so to clear things up, we spoke to Darren McCormac, three-time British powerlifting champion and holder of two world records. He is a man who, when his BMI was revealed, was described as “an immobile mountain of uselessness near death.”

We asked Darren what he thought of the new portrayal of Thor, and could he kick ass? “Absolutely,” said Darren. “Like it or not, God of War’s Thor is the peak of male performance.”

“Why do I say that?” he explained, “As a strength athlete, there is a correlation between bulk and strength. In powerlifting, the most competitive classes are the under 100kg and under 110kg – guys who are lifting multiple times their own bodyweight. These are big men. 100kg is 16 stone, 110kg is nearly 18 stone. They won’t be tall, they’ll be bulky.

“The guys lifting the biggest weights will often be in the under 125kg class, but not all these guys will have abs, far from it. They’ll have a layer of lard over it, a power belly. Any old fool can get abs – yes I am looking at you, Mr Hemsworth – but a power belly and big traps (the muscles either side of your neck) are the sign of a bloody strong man. ”

Darren-Lifts-2.jpg

The picture above is Darren setting his second world record when he weighed 133kg and lifted 380kg. That record still stands and is the heaviest lift by a man over 40 in the federation. “I have a belly and it honestly helps me lift better compared to when I was leaner and lifting in the 110s,” says Darren.

“If you’re still not convinced, look at any recent World’s Strongest Man line up,” he said. “With the notable exception of Mariusz Pudzianówski, WSM competitors are brick outhouses with power bellies, big ball guts that give them a good centre of gravity. Look at this year’s winner, Tom Stoltman, a Dad Bod to end all Dad Bods. He’s the strongest man on the planet who excelled in both static events like the squat, and dynamic events like the Atlas Stones.”

“He had to run in some events in World’s Strongest Man,” notes Darren, “I don’t run unless there’s cake involved.”

“Would you call Tom Stoltman fat?” he asked, “How about his brother, Luke? Or anyone else in the World’s Strongest Man line-up? These men are at the peak of physical condition, they have to be. And so is Thor.”

ethomaz

Banned
Well more weight indeed means more strength.
There is a reason why it is not fair to put a 100kg guy to fight a 70kg guy in boxe.

The punches from a 100kg are several times stronger than a 70kg guy… plus the 100kg guy endurance and resistance are way superior.

In the opposite sense the 70kg guy is more agile and have more speed than 100kg guy.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Is Thor the main villian in this?
Him and Freya. From the PS Blog:
We show a brief look at two of the main antagonists you’ll face in God of War Ragnarök: Freya and Thor.

Because of Kratos’ actions at the end of the previous game, the once-ally-turned-enemy Freya has sworn vengeance for the death of her son, Baldur.

We wanted to remind players that Freya isn’t just a terrifyingly powerful user of Vanir magic, but also that she’s a formidable warrior in her own right. Enraged by Kratos’ evasion of justice by her hand, Freya will turn every weapon at her disposal towards her son’s killer.

Also suffering the loss of his sons and half-brother, Thor’s legendary bloodlust and wrath will be aimed at Kratos and Atreus.

Referred to disparagingly by Mimir as the “Biggest Butchering Bastard in the Nine Realms,” Thor earned his title as one of the most powerful Aesir gods by wiping out nearly all the Giants at Odin’s command.

While we don’t want to give too much away right now, we think even a peek at Mjölnir wreathed in lightning will give you a hint at just how formidable Thor will be as an adversary.

They have confirmed Odin has a big role, but it seems he is not going to be like Zeus in this case.

Last edited:
I swear this has reached levels of chubby cheek aloy proportions of stupidity. why is this such a big issue all of sudden? Because he looks way different from marvel thor? what?! don't judge a book by its cover. I'd bet my left nut he's going to give Kratos some hell when they face off.

DavidGzz

What? Thor looks like a fucking unit and I don't think Norse gods care about having pecs.

A unit of goo. Why does Kratos have pecs? Eddie Hall at his fattest and strongest had shape to his teddies. They went too far the other way. There can be some thickness to the chest without making it striated.

Maybe he looks like he has some muscle when that armor comes off but come on, the world's strongest men look like they lift even when 35% fat, not like your average American like this dude. They took it too far and I think it's to cause some controversy.
QubVEuv.jpg

This is a unit.

Last edited:

Fbh

People do realize that all this talk about body shape and what is and isn't "realistic" for a strong character to look like is literally irrelevant in a world of Gods with magical superpowes, right?.

P5O1p8.gif

"No but you see, Kratos should at least have had a beer belly and thicker arms to realistically push back the fucking mountain sized finger of Cronos"

Last edited:

Larlight

Nah, he'd have some pecs if he were muscular. He just looks like a fat dude with a flat chest. Give him some muscle shape of some sort. Also, Mariusz Pudzianowski has won World's Strongest man or came close many times and he is ripped.
2yILd8F.jpg

That is a look based on modern training science and nutrition. Someone from Norse lands from a long time ago aint doing all that lmao.

Nah, he'd have some pecs if he were muscular. He just looks like a fat dude with a flat chest. Give him some muscle shape of some sort. Also, Mariusz Pudzianowski has won World's Strongest man or came close many times and he is ripped.
2yILd8F.jpg
Marius won off majority speed events. He wouldn’t be competing in the strength part today. Sure he’s strong but compared to the rest he wouldn’t be viable. Once you hit a certain point of strength it just becomes a factor of your weight to how much you can lift. Want to lift more weight? Put on more size to counter the weight you’re lifting.
Look up Larry wheels when he tried strongman. He documents that he needs more weight to counter the increased weight he’s lifting

Hoddi

People do realize that all this talk about body shape and what is and isn't "realistic" for a strong character to look like is literally irrelevant in a world of Gods with magical superpowes, right?.

P5O1p8.gif

"No but you see, Kratos should at least have had a beer belly and thicker arms to realistically push back the fucking mountain sized finger of Cronos"
I kinda agree with that. People keep mentioning power lifters but I feel like that's fairly weak reasoning.

The whole reason that I like this Thor version is because he has a beergut. He just likes drinking and he'll still fuck your shit up because that's just what he does.

DavidGzz

[/QUOTE]
Marius won off majority speed events. He wouldn’t be competing in the strength part today. Sure he’s strong but compared to the rest he wouldn’t be viable. Once you hit a certain point of strength it just becomes a factor of your weight to how much you can lift. Want to lift more weight? Put on more size to counter the weight you’re lifting.
Look up Larry wheels when he tried strongman. He documents that he needs more weight to counter the increased weight he’s lifting

Larry or Mariusz could gain 100 pounds of fat and still look like they lift. They wouldn't have deflated looking moobs or pathetic shoulders. I was 220 pounds last winter and 30 percent t body fat and looked much stronger than this "god".

I understand he's a god and can look like anything. Hell, Baldur looked like a skinny nerd. Just making conversation. I don't care as much as it may seem, just stating an opinion. I'm playing the shit out of this.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
2yILd8F.jpg
He's the exception that proves the rule. How many other strongmen look like that when they're actually in Strong man shape? That's something bodybuilders seem to struggle with. When you gain weight to be stronger, at any cost, some of that weight is going to be fat. It's inevitable. Very few people have the the genetics to be truly strong and lean. And no, I'm not talking about benching 315 for reps or squatting 405. That's strong for us normies, Strongmen are strong on different levels. Look at Brian Shaw, Martins Licis, Hafthor Bjornsson, Eddie Hall, Julius Maddox, Chad Aichs, Brian Carrol, Jim Wendler at his strongest, Dave Tate at his strongest, Swede Burns, JM Blakely, the list goes on and on and on. I get wanting to be lean for appearance reasons, but aesthetics and strength have nothing to do with each other. When I first got my bench and squat over 300 and got my deadlift over 400, it was because I stopped being afraid to eat. I ended up wanting to lose weight later on when I got my lifts where I wanted them, and guess what, the lifts dropped again. Not by much, but they dropped. A certain degree of body fat is, for the overwhelming majority of the populace, absolutely necessary for gaining very large amounts of strength, particularly during grueling training cycles where you're trying to accrue as much strength as possible in a short period.

I'm not taking away from your knowledge, I know you're passionate about your appearance and you're clearly a great bodybuilder, good for you. Just please understand that training for strength, ultimately, is an extremely different thing. Of course, there are overlaps between these, and there are certainly powerlifters who become bodybuilders and vice versa, but having the genetics to do both at the same time is unbelievably rare. The only people I can think of currently who have the genetics to both body build and compete in strength athletics are Jujimufu and Larry Wheels, though I'm sure there are more, I only can think of those two.

DavidGzz

He's the exception that proves the rule. How many other strongmen look like that when they're actually in Strong man shape? That's something bodybuilders seem to struggle with. When you gain weight to be stronger, at any cost, some of that weight is going to be fat. It's inevitable. Very few people have the the genetics to be truly strong and lean. And no, I'm not talking about benching 315 for reps or squatting 405. That's strong for us normies, Strongmen are strong on different levels. Look at Brian Shaw, Martins Licis, Hafthor Bjornsson, Eddie Hall, Julius Maddox, Chad Aichs, Brian Carrol, Jim Wendler at his strongest, Dave Tate at his strongest, Swede Burns, JM Blakely, the list goes on and on and on. I get wanting to be lean for appearance reasons, but aesthetics and strength have nothing to do with each other. When I first got my bench and squat over 300 and got my deadlift over 400, it was because I stopped being afraid to eat. I ended up wanting to lose weight later on when I got my lifts where I wanted them, and guess what, the lifts dropped again. Not by much, but they dropped. A certain degree of body fat is, for the overwhelming majority of the populace, absolutely necessary for gaining very large amounts of strength, particularly during grueling training cycles where you're trying to accrue as much strength as possible in a short period.

I'm not taking away from your knowledge, I know you're passionate about your appearance and you're clearly a great bodybuilder, good for you. Just please understand that training for strength, ultimately, is an extremely different thing. Of course, there are overlaps between these, and there are certainly powerlifters who become bodybuilders and vice versa, but having the genetics to do both at the same time is unbelievably rare. The only people I can think of currently who have the genetics to both body build and compete in strength athletics are Jujimufu and Larry Wheels, though I'm sure there are more, I only can think of those two.

I think there is a huge gulf between those fat powerlifters and this depiction of Thor. That's all I'm saying. I know more bodyweight moves more weight. It's physics. Larry, Juji, and Mariusz would all be stronger if they raised there average calories a good thousand a day since they'd get bigger and fat. I was benching over 400 just last winter when I got up to 215 pounds. I still didn't look fat. Now I'm 195 and can maybe get 360 for 1.

At the end of the day, it's just a nitpick. As a lifter I'd appreciate if he looked stronger. You can look strong and fat like Eddie Hall above. It's whatever.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
I think there is a huge gulf between those fat powerlifters and this depiction of Thor. That's all I'm saying. I know more bodyweight moves more weight. It's physics. Larry, Juji, and Mariusz would all be stronger if they raised there average calories a good thousand a day since they'd get bigger and fat. I was benching over 400 just last winter when I got up to 215 pounds. I still didn't look fat. Now I'm 195 and can maybe get 360 for 1.

At the end of the day, it's just a nitpick. As a lifter I'd appreciate if he looked stronger. You can look strong and fat like Eddie Hall above. It's whatever.
Fair enough, I get that. I wasn't lifting anywhere near your lifts and still managed to look big enough that everyone took to calling me "Muscles" for a while when I was 235, so I completely get what you're saying. There is definitely a shape to a lifter, even when they're higher body fat.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
2yILd8F.jpg
Exactly this.

they made thor look like a fat drunk. They made his tits slide over into his armpits. That’s disgusting looking.

Exactly this.

they made thor look like a fat drunk. They made his tits slide over into his armpits. That’s disgusting looking.
Yep, guys like Stoltman, Shaw and the Icelandic powerhouses through the decades all look thick as fuck despite being objectively "not ripped"; this Thor is polar opposite aka just a fat slob bloke that doesnt lift. Pudz and Jouko won a total of 6 titles between and they were diced in doing so. Also we have people like Wheels who is a top tier PLer and is shredded 24/7.

Hugare

Making him a fat drunk is the fucking point, ffs

Thor does not need to work out. He is Odin's son, was born a natural killer.

This is him post war with the giants. They were all killed. His routine now is eating, drinking and scratching his balls, probably.

And they made the point clear in the first game that he is a jackass. He does not care if he looks fat. Why would he?

Nezzeroth

Yep, guys like Stoltman, Shaw and the Icelandic powerhouses through the decades all look thick as fuck despite being objectively "not ripped"; this Thor is polar opposite aka just a fat slob bloke that doesnt lift. Pudz and Jouko won a total of 6 titles between and they were diced in doing so. Also we have people like Wheels who is a top tier PLer and is shredded 24/7.
And why should he? So that he looks good on pictures?

Top Bottom