• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok vs The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - which first party iterative sequel do you prefer

Which first party iterative sequel did you like more and why

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I was disappointed with Ragnarok to be honest, Tears of the Kingdom without a doubt.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I haven’t played Zelda but it’s gets my vote, fell off god of war hard.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
GoW:Ragnarok improves on nothing aside from graphical fidelity and pushes a worse story, worse pacing, and god awful writing.

ToTK improves on everything by adding at tremendous amount of new, varied content that rewards the player for their creativity, offers more RPG choice than GoW:R, and a more engaging narrative that has improved its character writing since the previous entry.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Going through a puzzle in Zelda = Figure it out or die trying
Going through a puzzle in Ragnarok = Your IQ is so low I'm going to tell you exactly what to do before you can make a single mistake
One is more focused on puzzles. The other is more focused on combat.
So yes, one has better puzzles.
But Ragnarok has vastly superior combat. It evens out.

Danjin44

If its not the focus then why even bother putting puzzles in the first place when devs wont let me solve it myself? The result is puzzles just becomes waste of time because they already spoil the solution.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

True, but it doesn't even out. Zelda has the better narrative. It has the better world design. It has better level design. It actually respects the intelligence of the player.

Ragarok doesn't do any of that. All it has is Combat (which is still feels worse than 2018 with how fucking slow and poorly paced it is) and graphics. Neither of which mean much as a superior art direction will always trump superior graphical fidelity.

Then again, I am saying this to a console warrior so nothing is going to reach you anyway.

Superman 64 reaches heights that neither could ever hope to achieve. There's a reason that game is still fresh on people's minds even to this day.

Danjin44

True, but it doesn't even out. Zelda has the better narrative. It has the better world design. It has better level design. It actually respects the intelligence of the player.
Ragnarok doesn't even trust players to see the character is on fire with their own fucking eyes, they have to keep remind them every fucking time.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Haven't played either game, but after being somewhat disappointed by GoW 2018 due to its over-thrown predecessors and focus on Sony's new gaming success formula, I never flirted with the idea of playing Ragnarök.
Zelda, on the other hand, looks like a fun game that invites the player to actually explore and discover, things Sony doesn't really trust their players to do anymore. I'd rather buy a Switch with Zelda than Ragnarök today.

10v12

GoW 2018 is one of my favorite games and man, what a downgrade Ragnarok was. The gameplay was an improvement for the most part but oh my god the narrative/writing/pacing was abysmal. Even now I have a hard time believing this game was made by the same people who wrote 2018's story.

ToTK is an improvement over BoTW, I wasn't too hot on the latter but now I'm definitely enjoying my time with the new one.

Represent.

Ragarok doesn't do any of that. All it has is Combat (which is still feels worse than 2018 with how fucking slow and poorly paced it is) and graphics. Neither of which mean much as a superior art direction will always trump superior graphical fidelity.

Then again, I am saying this to a console warrior so nothing is going to reach you anyway.
I’m sorry but Zelda does not have the better narrative. Bruh.

And in what world does Zelda have better art direction?

I think you’re just using that as a vice to make up for the fact that it looks awful from a technical standpoint.

Ragnarok has fantastic art design and mops the floor with Zelda technically speaking, obviously. Yes. It’s possible to do both.

And downplaying the combat in an ACTION game is… rich. Makes no sense to me. That’s like me downplaying the puzzles or exploration in Zelda. Which would be silly.

To me, the puzzles in Ragnarok are the equivalent of the combat in Zelda. Neither are strong points in either game.

And there’s nothing “console warrior-y” about this. It’s a discussion. People get too uptight about that stuff.

Last edited:

Woopah

Really loving Ragnarok right now and am not bothered that it's iterative. I assume I'll feel the same about Zelda.

d2b5f624-ab76-43ba-8901-a6d8ea317287_text.gif

I voted Days Gone.

BFS3

Neo Member
Totk, easy choice.
-It doesn't treat the players like an idiot, it respects the players' intelligence and skill.
-It doesn't force the player to watch boring cutscenes and play boring sections, you can feel the freedom to the utmost.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
TotK might be the most fun I’ve had *playing* a game since like playing Super Metroid the first time. It never stops feeling like you’re having fun and trying new things and discovering things. As much as I enjoy cinematic games, the fact that this is just a giant sandbox with all the toys you could possibly want sets it so far above as a game it’s almost silly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I’m sorry but Zelda does not have the better narrative. Bruh.

And in what world does Zelda have better art direction?

I think you’re just using that as a vice to make up for the fact that it looks awful from a technical standpoint.

Ragnarok has fantastic art design and mops the floor with Zelda technically speaking, obviously. Yes. It’s possible to do both.

And downplaying the combat in an ACTION game is… rich. Makes no sense to me. That’s like me downplaying the puzzles or exploration in Zelda. Which would be silly.

To me, the puzzles in Ragnarok are the equivalent of the combat in Zelda. Neither are strong points in either game.

And there’s nothing “console warrior-y” about this. It’s a discussion. People get too uptight about that stuff.

Everything you posted just further bolsters that you are a console warrior. You physically are incapable of handling anyone being mildly critical of a Playstation exclusive. There is probably a reason you were given that title, "bruh". Maybe use a little introspection.

Codes 208

ToTK expands on what made botw great while tweaking its major complaints (like durability having an offset by using fusion) whereas Ragnarok (still a great game mind you) felt weaker than 4 overall.

Represent.

Everything you posted just further bolsters that you are a console warrior. You physically are incapable of handling anyone being mildly critical of a Playstation exclusive. There is probably a reason you were given that title, "bruh". Maybe use a little introspection.
What a terrible post, honestly.

I said Ragnarok has great narrative.

I said Ragnarok has great art design. And great graphics. And its possible to do both.

I said Ragnarok has great combat, and you down playing the combat in an action game is silly.

Somehow you took that as cOnSolE WaR. What the hell are you talking about? This is a you problem.

Give your head a good shake. And get over yourself.

This thread is about which game you prefer, GOW or TOTK, I stated why I prefer GOW. Because they are on two different platforms does not make it a console war.

You cant have a discussion with differing opinions without accusing people of "console war" nonsense. This is a discussion forum. I stated my opinion. You throw accusations.

Half my fucking threads and posts are just me shitting on the state of the entire industry. Sony doesn't get any special treatment. I shit on them constantly as well.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What a terrible post, honestly.

I said Ragnarok has great narrative.

I said Ragnarok has great art design. And great graphics. And its possible to do both.

I said Ragnarok has great combat, and you down playing the combat in an action game is silly.

Somehow you took that as cOnSolE WaR. What the hell are you talking about? This is a you problem.

Give your head a good shake. And get over yourself.

This thread is about which game you prefer, GOW or TOTK, I stated why I prefer GOW. Because they are on two different platforms does not make it a console war.

You cant have a discussion with differing opinions without accusing people of "console war" nonsense. This is a discussion forum. I stated my opinion. You throw accusations.

Half my fucking threads and posts are just me shitting on the state of the entire industry. Sony doesn't get any special treatment. I shit on them constantly as well.

Thank you for continuing to prove my point.

MagnesD3

GoW:Ragnarok improves on nothing aside from graphical fidelity and pushes a worse story, worse pacing, and god awful writing.

ToTK improves on everything by adding at tremendous amount of new, varied content that rewards the player for their creativity, offers more RPG choice than GoW:R, and a more engaging narrative that has improved its character writing since the previous entry.
It's a damn shame too I loved 2018.

Vick

GoW 2018 is one of my favorite games and man, what a downgrade Ragnarok was. The gameplay was an improvement for the most part but oh my god the narrative/writing/pacing was abysmal. Even now I have a hard time believing this game was made by the same people who wrote 2018's story.
Not just worse narrative/writing/pacing, and I'd add characters as well, but also game structure to a certain extent.
GoW 2018 incredibly managed to struck the perfect balance between its many elements while completely and successfully reinventing its series, it's a product that truly had it all in my book and what I'd call a perfect game deserving of its reputation among PS and Steam gamers/reviewers alike.
But its sequel, aside for boss fights and the Crater section which I found impeccable, felt like a downgrade in structure even outside of the Atreus sections.
Most of the time less arcadey in exploration/encounters, and while for its first portion an enjoyable experience still, combat itself also felt less polished, impactful/satisfying and not entirely suitable for every new enemy type introduced. Considering the scope and general level of polish and production values on display it's understandable, but I really wish they'd never took Naughty Dog as an inspiration as much as they did for so much of the game.
GoW 2018 already perfected the formula, Ragnarok followed the inferior one.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a damn shame too I loved 2018.

Same. Bought the special edition PS4 console, the big collector's edition, even a few cheap shirts. I *loved* GoW 2018 and was very excited to see where they could take it from there - but they went the Rian Johnson method of "sUbvErTinG ExpEcTaTioNs" and gave us shit.

Sadly some single celled amoeba's out there can't handle that concept and label anyone who is critical of Ragnarok as a warrior.

Last edited:
So many hot/bad takes against GoW:R. I guess it's the new trendy thing to do. The game has flaws, the pacing simply drags down the game. But it's still a 94+ game in my book. The production values are absolutely insane, the combat has been significantly improved, the side content massively expanded to take advantage of the improved combat. And it features better emotional narrative beats than GoW 2018 with a far more expanded cast of enemy characters and it really fleshes them out significantly by having you travel to Asgard.

Sure, it has the Loki sections that slog it down...so what honestly? That doesn't make or break the experience. GoW: 2018 is absolutely the lesser experience. There's hardly any enemy variety in the entire game, and the side content is far more confined. Perhaps it's wrapped around a more consistent pacing, but even GoW 2018 suffers from some of the same issues Ragnarok does (like when Loki suddenly and abruptly becomes some raging emo teenager). People just have rose colored glasses when it comes to GoW 2018 in comparison, but the leap between the two is very similar to what is featured in Zelda.

Now speaking of Zelda, I have done around 60 or so shrines but so far it is very much in the same camp as GoW:R is in terms of flaws and expanded gameplay. Flaws for Zelda are obvious: 1) The world is the same 2) The areas that are new simply aren't as interesting as the main world in BOTW is, 3) the combat is still an absolute chore with constantly breaking weapons, 4) the side content is mostly a bunch of fetchquests with overly slow dialog sections, and 5) the shrines are still largely forgettable time wasters that you begrudgingly push forward with to increase your stamina meter.

For all the talk about pacing in GoW:R, pressing up on the left analog stick and watching a stamina meter for hours upon hours in ToTK is a FAR greater offender of poor pacing. It's a complete disrespect of the player's time, and now you have the benefit of already largely knowing what you already discovered in BotW. The expanded toolset of vehicle creation, while neat, isn't all that game changing as many are claiming. It's another toolset to explore the world but once you fiddle with a few basic types you've largely been there and done that.

Now I don't want to sound too negative about Zelda, it also is a 94+ game in my book, but I think once the hype settles down people will start bashing it just like they seemingly do any major tentpole AAA game, although the Nintendo audience seems to be quite a more forgiving of their game's flaws. In the end, it's still a little too early for me to call this one but I put them on roughly the same level.

Mozzarella

Going through a puzzle in Zelda = Figure it out or die trying
Going through a puzzle in Ragnarok = Your IQ is so low I'm going to tell you exactly what to do before you can make a single mistake
YES!

Zelda ACTUALLY HAS PUZZLES

But thats not how we judge better games, still TOTK is better anyway.

As a sequel Tears of the Kingdom is somewhat similar to Portal 2, which means taking up the original which was more of a concept and fully realizing its potential.
God of War Ragnarok is just Episode 2.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I prefers Sony to Nintendos overall but they donts make games as deep or as goods as TOTK

This is whats frustrates me overall cuz their lineups is overall more my tastes but Nintendo always has that ones game that crushes everything and then almosts all the others Nintendos games are crud excepts Metroid

Last edited:

Fredrik

Nintendo audience seems to be quite a more forgiving of their game's flaws
Eh, it’s the same for the Sony audience. It’s the same for all platform fans.

I actually enjoyed GOW2018 more than Ragnarök. Ragnarök had it’s moments when art, combat, presentation, story aligned perfectly but in the end I don’t think it was worth the high scores or praise it got among Sony fans. When you scratch the pretty surface it’s a really simplistic game underneath to the point that it almost feels like everything besides the action is aimed at kids, it has a weird tutorial-like thing going through pretty much the whole game which I just don’t understand. It would’ve been a better game if it would’ve just had the action and story cutscenes. Someone here actually said this around the launch but I was too focused to defend the metroidvania thing I usually love that I didn’t listen, I’ll try to be better the next time.

Fredrik

I prefers Sony to Nintendos overall but they donts make games as deep or as goods as TOTK

This is whats frustrates me overall cuz their lineups is overall more my tastes but Nintendo always has that ones game that crushes everything and then almosts all the others Nintendos games are crud excepts Metroid
Yeah, a Nintendo console is that annoying secondary piece of plastic I know I could never skip because every 3-5 years Nintendo make every other dev seem helplessly behind on everything except the surface.

Makes me wonder. Would TOTK be as advanced underneath the surface if Nintendo had a more powerful console and was spending more time and resources on the surface?
🤔

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yeah, a Nintendo console is that annoying secondary piece of plastic I know I could never skip because every 3-5 years Nintendo make every other dev seem helplessly behind on everything except the surface.

Makes me wonder. Would TOTK be as advanced underneath the surface if Nintendo had a more powerful console and was spending more time and resources on the surface?
🤔
Nopes they puts gameplay systems as the most important specially in the new Zeldas

Top Bottom