• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

I gotta say, I'm glad most people here think the game is an unfocused mess, cause talking to the people on the OT about the game not being 10/10 or giving any kind of valid criticism will get you spit in the face.

Finished a few minutes ago and I think I will not play any of the post game stuff, I enjoyed the ride but fuck, I won't "explore" shit because SSM made exploration SHIT with that fucking map and I will fucking break something if I have to crawl through another crack, lift boulder, etc... holy shit, SSM don't make me backtrack and explore when moving through the realms suck dick.

2018 is the better game: focused, better combat, better story, better writing and no fucking collectathon.

I agree with you on not really wanting to play the post-game and having some concerns about the writing, game design, and character models here. But the combat in Ragnarok is definitely better.

I definitely don't want to crawl through any cracks or lift any borders. Hell even riding in the boat or driving the sleigh is super annoying.

Whenever I read comments like that, im like:
Nick Young Wtf GIF

Whats wrong with people?
Do you need to play some kind of lunatic or generally only play if the characters in the game are kind of sociopaths?

Kratos in the Greek Trilogy and in 2018 was a well defined character. Hardly a “lunatic”. Kratos in Ragnarok is a spineless shell of a man.

Kratos in the Greek Trilogy and in 2018 was a well defined character. Hardly a “lunatic”. Kratos in Ragnarok is a spineless shell of a man.
Sure Jan GIF

Fleeing Citizens​

The game begins in the city of Athens under siege. While running through the city, Kratos will encounter many panicking civilians. These people can be slaughtered for extra health during the assault.

The Sacrificed Soldier​

Pandora’s Temple is filled with a number of dangers and puzzles to overcome. At one point, Kratos needs to enter the chamber of Poseidon. He learns that in order to open the way, a sacrifice needs to be made. As fate would have it, there’s a soldier trapped in a cage who pleads with Kratos to show mercy. The Spartan ignores him and uses him as a sacrifice so he can continue his quest.

The Dying Soldier​

While exploring the Ruins of the Forgotten, Kratos will come across a dying soldier and a conveyor belt. In order to access the Chamber of Cerberus, Kratos puts the soldier on the conveyor belt to break the clockwork mechanisms.

Just a few examples of this well established characters that isn't/wasn't a sociopath.
And then theres probably thousands more of innocent lives that were lost due to his fights with the Olympian gods.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

I agree with you on not really wanting to play the post-game and having some concerns about the writing, game design, and character models here. But the combat in Ragnarok is definitely better.

I definitely don't want to crawl through any cracks or lift any borders. Hell even riding in the boat or driving the sleigh is super annoying.
Lol the sleigh, the game begs you to use it, the dogs just follow you if you ignore them.

Bragr

Banned
He controls anger, rage, fear, terror, feels a lot more human with true love for both his wife and son (this is clear in the scene where his telling an story to Loki before his last dream with Faye).
Hes not the monster from before. He moved on. He was a killer that was borderline the villain in the past games to a great father and human being in this game.
I don't agree with this, I still think he is the monster from before. If he wasn't, he would never engage in this fight. He would never allow Atreus to pursue a war with the gods. He would have simply left the lands. It's impossible to erase his past, it's the heart and soul of the franchise.

I don't think this has anything to do with maturity, I think you confuse maturity with emotion. The game tries to play on emotional strings.

Nothing says spineless shell of a man more than leading the armies of Ragnarok, and beating the absolute shit out of Thor, The God Of Thunder.
I feel like they absolutely rushed the actual event of Ragnarok.

For how much padding the game has they absolutely rush through key moments. It's pretty jarring actually.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I feel like they absolutely rushed the actual event of Ragnarok.

For how much padding the game has they absolutely rush through key moments. It's pretty jarring actually.

Decent argument to be made that the story could have been split into two games. One the run up to Ragnarok. The second taking place during an extended Ragnarok itself. Would have given a lot of rushed plot points time to breathe more.

K' Dash

Sure Jan GIF

Fleeing Citizens​

The game begins in the city of Athens under siege. While running through the city, Kratos will encounter many panicking civilians. These people can be slaughtered for extra health during the assault.

The Sacrificed Soldier​

Pandora’s Temple is filled with a number of dangers and puzzles to overcome. At one point, Kratos needs to enter the chamber of Poseidon. He learns that in order to open the way, a sacrifice needs to be made. As fate would have it, there’s a soldier trapped in a cage who pleads with Kratos to show mercy. The Spartan ignores him and uses him as a sacrifice so he can continue his quest.

The Dying Soldier​

While exploring the Ruins of the Forgotten, Kratos will come across a dying soldier and a conveyor belt. In order to access the Chamber of Cerberus, Kratos puts the soldier on the conveyor belt to break the clockwork mechanisms.

Just a few examples of this well established characters that isn't/wasn't a sociopath.
And then theres probably thousands more of innocent lives that were lost due to his fights with the Olympian gods.

james franco GIF

why is this bad?

Last edited:
james franco GIF

why is this bad?
I didn't say its bad. I just argued that Kratos was a sociopath and people seem to have a problem with him changing into a more reasonable character.

I have no idea what kind of ideas SMS has for future GoW games or Kratos as a character to be more specific, but in my opinion having him become more reasonable and grounded for now might be better in the long term.
A father and god that is looked up to has more to loose. And thats something that could push future Kratos over the edge to be even more of a killing machine.

Decent argument to be made that the story could have been split into two games. One the run up to Ragnarok. The second taking place during an extended Ragnarok itself. Would have given a lot of rushed plot points time to breathe more.
Don't think you needed to split it into two games, the game is bloated as it is with a lot of random and stretched-out side missions. They just didn't have the pace of the game right because they wanted it to be 40+ hours. It didn't need to be.

As many have already said, the ending was very underwhelming. GOW3 opening assault on Olympus was more interesting than what we got for the final battle of Asgard Vs others. Final boss fights with Thor and Odin were not as good as many other boss fights the game had. Odin was very weak in portrayal imo. He never had an intimidating or threatening presence. Not getting Thor's hammer was also a bummer. They should have given Leviathan in the collector edition instead of Thor's hammer. Got everyone's hope up with that. Probably planning DLC where you play as Thrud wielding the hammer and Atreus wielding the Ingrid.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Don't think you needed to split it into two games, the game is bloated as it is with a lot of random and stretched-out side missions. They just didn't have the pace of the game right because they wanted it to be 40+ hours. It didn't need to be.
what? ther side missions is actually one of the best thing in this game.

Cyborg

Quick two questions;

- When I visit Lunda there is always a 1 in the weapons tab, suggesting there is a new weapon or something. But there is nothing... I cant find it. Is it a glitch?
- Lunda is saying Ragnork armor is on the house but I don't see the armor in the menu.

shubik

The second ending with Sindri is grim as fuck. Felt like a real gut punch. Also highly unusual to end a game on such a negative point.

It almost feels like he is being propped up to become the next big villain. What do you think?

anothertech

Quick two questions;

- When I visit Lunda there is always a 1 in the weapons tab, suggesting there is a new weapon or something. But there is nothing... I cant find it. Is it a glitch?
- Lunda is saying Ragnork armor is on the house but I don't see the armor in the menu.
Probably a relic you didn't hover on yet

The Ragnarok armor is the new armor set that you can craft for 0 hacksilver. It's one of the best in the game tbh when fully leveled up.

tommib

Maybe I was too over-levelled but the fights against Thor and Odin were so easy. I was at mid level 7. Everything was so choreographed that I never felt any threat. 0 challenge. 0 epicness. I liked the set up to those fights more than the fights themselves. The highlight for me were climbing the Asgard wall and meeting Ragnarok. Beautiful graphics and general atmosphere.

The story is a mess. There’s so many loose plot points and nothing really lands (except for Broks death that actually meant something).

I’ve never watched a Marvel movie but I’m sure this what they all must feel like from what I read and hear. Super broad and vague epic themes that make all characters being used to make some point in the narrative tree. I don’t know what we’re supposed to learn about the father and son relationship. I guess war is bad and now you get your own tent to sleep but it’s cold can I sleep with you, but I’m real man now.

My brain had disconnected hours before anyway with all the pointless mumbo-jumbo about lore I couldn’t care less about.

The more I played the more annoyed I became with it. I won’t clean-up the game since I can’t stand having to lift rocks and walking through cracks or the kayaking. I really missed the instant travel from Elden Ring when playing this.

My score went down to 7/10. My review: Marvel is a virus.

Hoping Callisto will clean the sour taste but the moment I see sequences of that hot guy crawling through pipes I get Vietnam flashbacks from Ragnarok.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
It almost feels like he is being propped up to become the next big villain. What do you think?

I think he will do something that will affect the world tree, but will instantly regret it. I reckon his arc will be “resolved” within the first hour playing as Loki, Kratos will be too busy raw dogging Freya as she is supposed to have a couple of daughters.

Regardless, I just want more interactions with Ratatoskr.

sncvsrtoip

What a great sequel it is. Wasnt biggest fan of previous one but Ragnarok doing everyghing better. Graphic is good but typical crossgen and nowhere near level of Forbiden West even tough it was also a crossgen. Still at the first part of story no much npc's and have this weird feeling like we are taking part in some kind of theatre play tough later it change a little. Fighting mechanism, leveling up and chosing builds is realy enjoyable but what game do best is creating feeling that you are taking part in awsome fairy/mytical adventure. Charactes are well written and charismatic, you getting connected to them (its probably biggest advantage over Forbiden West even tough it made progress over Zero Dawn). Pacing is realy good especialy for such a long title. Few side missions are on superb level and could be part of main story (and generaly feel some Witcher3 vibes in this title). Ending feel little rush and could be probably written better and lowering scoring little for me but still awsome game. 9.5/10

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I’m disappointed Fryea can’t use the animal summons in the end game I need Ratatoskr

Coconutt

Great game went back to get the Platinum. Wish there was a little more Ragnarok but was happy with the choices they made with the story.

MagnesD3

Quick two questions;

Got the same glitch

Cyborg

Probably a relic you didn't hover on yet

The Ragnarok armor is the new armor set that you can craft for 0 hacksilver. It's one of the best in the game tbh when fully leveled up.
I have 0 relics that are open. I don't see the Ragnarok armor in the menu to craft.. it's just not there :(

Finished it yesterday. Incredible how there's so much post-game content to do, holy shit.
I've heard some extra cutscenes are also going to happen so i'm curious to see what's still in store.

Loving this game and i'm already feeling empty after finishing the main story, lmao.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I have 0 relics that are open. I don't see the Ragnarok armor in the menu to craft.. it's just not there :(
it's just a glitch and a stupid ass one for sure

i've had that glitch my entire game

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Finished it yesterday. Incredible how there's so much post-game content to do, holy shit.
I've heard some extra cutscenes are also going to happen so i'm curious to see what's still in store.

Loving this game and i'm already feeling empty after finishing the main story, lmao.

Have to confess, I didn’t find a compelling enough reason to finish up all the side stuff after having completed the main storyline. I’d done a large amount of it prior, and other than a few extra cutscenes, there’s not much incentive to carry on, unless you’re a completionist for completion’s sake. Very glad I did most of it before the ending.

Have to confess, I didn’t find a compelling enough reason to finish up all the side stuff after having completed the main storyline. I’d done a large amount of it prior, and other than a few extra cutscenes, there’s not much incentive to carry on, unless you’re a completionist for completion’s sake. Very glad I did most of it before the ending.
I almost didn't want to finish the game because the side content was so good. I was loving exploring The Crater. The cutscenes are an extra. I actually am enjoying the time i'm spending with this game tbh.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Well that confirms that Gna will be where I end the game, still on the Berserker King and only have The Crucible and Broken Prison left to do, fuck finding all the Ravens though
Do the crucible challenges to hit level 9 before taking on the king and Gna.

SCB3

Do the crucible challenges to hit level 9 before taking on the king and Gna.
Yea, I am mostly Level 9 in gear atm and the King is just out damaging me (yellow bar), I almost had a couple of times though (on GMGoW)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lots of really cool details in the second viewing. The very first prophecy they see shows a champion with a spear who they assume to be Tyr but its clear now that it was Kratos all along since he gets a spear later in the game.

When they see the second Prophecy, Tyr/Odin is with them and thats when they first find out that ragnorak only kills Odin and Asgard, not everything else. After that Tyr is super bummed out and hardly says a word until they get home lol.

Lots of other neat details with him trying to convince everyone not to kill Heimdall or start Ragnorak.

Shubh_C63

Loved the game. Everything was thrice as better than the original : the scope, the combat, side missions, sights to see.

The story pacing was better in the original but I don't have any bright ideas how they could have handled it better, a fight between not locking down player into story segments and enjoying the open world. And the ending was definitely purposefully made easier to not hurt the pacing. For real challenge, there's plenty of side bosses.

Ending could have been better.
I almost teared up when Kratos saw the mural of people worshipping his statue, the guy deserves it finally. 10/10

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nothing says spineless shell of a man more than leading the armies of Ragnarok, and beating the absolute shit out of Thor, The God Of Thunder.

There were armies at the end? Only some flying mosquitos doing nothing and that was about it. What did he lead exactly? He did a speech to a few ppl you never gave a shit about and just did his thing like you do the entire game. That was not a war. That was not epic. As much as I liked the game, the hyperboles about this game are insane, positive and negative. This game deserves nothing more nor less than a straight 8. It did nothing outstanding, emotional or amazing to set itself apart, nor did it do anything bad. It was just good. But Im tired of just good. I need better.

tommib

I can’t remember who told me to do the prison quest but thanks for that. Loved the simple level design and the pay off of releasing Real Tall Man was cool.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

There were armies at the end? Only some flying mosquitos doing nothing and that was about it. What did he lead exactly? He did a speech to a few ppl you never gave a shit about and just did his thing like you do the entire game. That was not a war. That was not epic. As much as I liked the game, the hyperboles about this game are insane, positive and negative. This game deserves nothing more nor less than a straight 8. It did nothing outstanding, emotional or amazing to set itself apart, nor did it do anything bad. It was just good. But Im tired of just good. I need better.
Yeah, lack of scale and blandness of the room and the speech before the siege were headscratchers.

I really feel like Sunny Suljic was by far the weakest voice actor and considering he had such a huge role, it definitely had an impact on the game. I initially thought it might have been because of his age but the actress behind Angrboda was absolutely phenomenal and she's around the same age.
Why do you consider him such a weak voice actor? There was no point while playing where I thought he sounded bad or unconvincing. But I also thought Angrboda's actress did a great job as well.

They did change some key detail, I could be completely wrong here but in mythology world serpent, Fenrir and even Hel suppose to be child of Loki but in the game that’s not the case at all.
Well they still kept both as his "spritual" children. Atreus (Loki) and Angrboda both gave life to the world Serpent in her giant grandma's shop. She even mentions at one point that the snake is growing faster than any other snake she's ever seen.

And Atreus also gives the giant wolf the spirit of Fenrir, rebirthing him as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have to agree, the entire war felt so underwhelming that felt bad for Surtr for kind of give his like for this bad excuse for a "war". Odin Sphere's Ragnarok felt waaaaay more epic and even tragic than this game.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Has kratos ever talked about the ashes that cover his skin in the new games to the other characters?

Top Bottom