• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok: SPOILER-HEIM

EDMIX

Has kratos ever talked about the ashes that cover his skin in the new games to the other characters?

He talks about his family, in regards to how he became the God Of War, but I don't think he goes into specifics regarding the skin and stuff.

MagnesD3

Has kratos ever talked about the ashes that cover his skin in the new games to the other characters?
Atreus: I wish I could have seen my sister and your old wife.

KRATOS: You already have my bo., I mean son who I trust completely, you see them everyday through that crusty layer you always complain about when we hug on my skin.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

So, what was up with the mask, why did it have greek/egyptian/ancient japanese writing? Who made it?

Why is Atreus able to decipher these languages?

Why was Mjolnir not usable :messenger_loudly_crying:
Thank you for the Mjolnir comment, Jesus fucking christ how do you not have the most famous hammer of all be fucking usable in a God of war game.

The easiest layup of all time missed to subvert the player woooo.

I love how the breakable rocks are yellow like lightning to troll you for wanting cool things 👌

Last edited:

Neff

Cory Balrog stated originally the new God of War games were supposed to take place in Egypt, but they ended up doing Norse instead. In GoW 2018 when you go up and down inside the Tyr's temple elevator you can see a tapestry on the wall as you right up or down with Tyr visiting different pantheons including Egypt and Japan.

You can find an Ankh in The Oarsmen, and when you examine it in the menu Kratos says it's a relic from a land he's always wanted to visit.

Saucy Papi

Why do you consider him such a weak voice actor? There was no point while playing where I thought he sounded bad or unconvincing. But I also thought Angrboda's actress did a great job as well.
I don't know. I just felt like he paled in comparison to everyone else. Granted, he was up against professionals but Angrboda's actress is his age and she did an absolutely phenomenal job so I don't think age can be used as an excuse.

sendit

Maybe I was too over-levelled but the fights against Thor and Odin were so easy. I was at mid level 7. Everything was so choreographed that I never felt any threat. 0 challenge. 0 epicness. I liked the set up to those fights more than the fights themselves. The highlight for me were climbing the Asgard wall and meeting Ragnarok. Beautiful graphics and general atmosphere.

The story is a mess. There’s so many loose plot points and nothing really lands (except for Broks death that actually meant something).

I’ve never watched a Marvel movie but I’m sure this what they all must feel like from what I read and hear. Super broad and vague epic themes that make all characters being used to make some point in the narrative tree. I don’t know what we’re supposed to learn about the father and son relationship. I guess war is bad and now you get your own tent to sleep but it’s cold can I sleep with you, but I’m real man now.

My brain had disconnected hours before anyway with all the pointless mumbo-jumbo about lore I couldn’t care less about.

The more I played the more annoyed I became with it. I won’t clean-up the game since I can’t stand having to lift rocks and walking through cracks or the kayaking. I really missed the instant travel from Elden Ring when playing this.

My score went down to 7/10. My review: Marvel is a virus.

Hoping Callisto will clean the sour taste but the moment I see sequences of that hot guy crawling through pipes I get Vietnam flashbacks from Ragnarok.
What difficulty did you play at? I died probably over 500+ times throughout the entire game. Give me God of War.

You can find an Ankh in The Oarsmen, and when you examine it in the menu Kratos says it's a relic from a land he's always wanted to visit.
Yeah, at this rate I would not be surprised if it's where we go next. However, I'll be honest making 🏜 look good and not making it feel like a boring wasteland will be a challenge. But I think they can do a lot of cool stuff with the gods. My favorite is Anubis.

If I am being frank though, I'd like them to make up some bullshit excuse to go back to the Greek pantheon. Imagine a new generation God of War, with new engine and combat system and semi open world mechanics and level design in Greece with Centaurs, Cerberues, Minotaurs. It would be mindblowing. But I don't think they would go back to Greece due to story elements.

However, I would not mind a reboot or some sort of a remake taking place in Greece either.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
-Angrboda saving the day with "much giant magic I dunno" totally destroys everything they worked towards just to give her a role in the story
Dude chill, she appears in like 10 seconds during the ending and pretty much any character could have deux ex machina-ed their way into the situation but she was the one taking care of Garm/Fenrir who can open portals at will.

I'm just as angered by the extreme wokeist crap they embedded into TLoU2 as any other sane person, but some people really seem way too triggered by female characters just appearing.
Angrboda isn't a Mary Sue by any means. She's never portrayed as a great fighter, she needs Loki to handle her grandmother and she's just as insecure as any teenager girl about everything.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude chill, she appears in like 10 seconds during the ending and pretty much any character could have deux ex machina-ed their way into the situation but she was the one taking care of Garm/Fenrir who can open portals at will.

I'm just as angered by the extreme wokeist crap they embedded into TLoU2 as any other sane person, but some people really seem way too triggered by female characters just appearing.
Angrboda isn't a Mary Sue by any means. She's never portrayed as a great fighter, she needs Loki to handle her grandmother and she's just as insecure as any teenager girl about everything.
Tlou2 is not woke

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just finished the game.

I love the game loop. Everything else I think is worse than the predecessor. Mostly.

I hated the fact that Kratos was never in charge of moving the story forward. He was passively shoveled about by the actions of side characters, flip flopping on his beliefs within minutes of playtime and it was just a mess of a story. Disjointed mess.

So … Tyr was Odin all along, funny how no one cares about Tyr ( the real one ) any longer. Would have made much more sense to have Lokis giant gf, who nobody knows exists because „it’s their little secret”, be Odin and manipulate Loki because he fell in love with him. But I guess that would be considered to dark - and they needed that happy ending for Atreus.

I really thought I would have to fight Surtur at the end, jumping though a portal to safety was lame as fuck.

The way Kratos fate (as in dying) was handled in the end was also lackluster. “Them oracles where wrong lol” :/

Thor was so close of being a great character. But at the end completely overshadowed by Baldur.
Odin was Joe Pesci with a Eye cover. Never felt truly „allfather“ like.

Only one good boss battle was agains Fenrir.

Ironwood was the worst segment in all of GOW games and should rob this game of any goty discussions.

2018 had a simpler story but Kratos was always clear I what he wanted and simply had it done. This game either needed the same focus or much more bombastic set pieces to at least make the mess of a narrative worth experiencing.

I said mostly in the beginning of my post, Sindri to me is the star of the show. He has an ark, emotions and is evolving in this journey. Best character in the game by far.

Atreus should have been killed within the first hour to give Kratos action meaning. Hated every section I had to play as this little shit.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this game alot but I think we're all in agreement ironwood was just terrible. I feel like it was written by someone else. I wonder if alanah pearce had something to do with it
Nah I personally like Ironwood section. It's just too long though.

Btw story behind the gay quest. It based on gay couple work in Santa Monica Studio, one guy passed away so they made this quest for him and his partner.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

I think the shock of Brok’s death and group just wanting revenge against Odin kind of made them forget about trying find real Tyr.
Yeah that’s a possibility.
They are talking so very much but just forget about him. Felt funny.

I really disliked the fact that Broks death made Kratos go, “Ragnarok it is”.
The only positive thing he had to say about Brok up until this point is that he “speaks plain” ( the weapon blessing scene was a cheep set up to try make them bond).

But that vengeance was short lived. Like literally 30 minutes. It became about doing the “right thing” very fast.

The more I think about the game the less I like it. I was really thrilled when 2018 ended.

TonyK

I replayed final part of GOW 2018 after finishing Ragnarok, and even if I like more almost every aspect of Ragnarok over previous GOW, the combat with Baldur is way better and epic than Odin's fight and all the whole Ragnarok part. I thought Ragnarok assault was so disappointing because cross gen limitations, but GOW 2018 was only PS4 and it managed to do better the spectacularity you expect of that moment, with the giant interfering in the fight and the big snake eating the head of the giant.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah that’s a possibility.
They are talking so very much but just forget about him. Felt funny.

I really disliked the fact that Broks death made Kratos go, “Ragnarok it is”.
The only positive thing he had to say about Brok up until this point is that he “speaks plain” ( the weapon blessing scene was a cheep set up to try make them bond).

But that vengeance was short lived. Like literally 30 minutes. It became about doing the “right thing” very fast.

The more I think about the game the less I like it. I was really thrilled when 2018 ended.
The whole Ragnarok section felt very rushed and unsatisfying in my opinion.

Just wrapped up the main story last night at around 30 hours. Absolutely loved the game and I’d highly recommend it.

That being said, I could have given up at Ironwood and did start thinking to myself whether or not this would be how the rest of the game would play out and got close to dropping the game. It was extremely boring and could have been played out in a cutscene. I did really enjoy the fight with Grandma though.

Fortunately Ironwood is overall a very small part of a much greater game and it hits some great notes outside of that. Some scenes have lovely moments between the characters and feel genuine in the emotional delivery.

I’m genuinely looking forward to going back in and wrapping up some of the side missions and upgrading my armour some more too.

Another fantastic job by SSM in my opinion. Really looking forward to what’s next for them.

What part of TLoU2 was woke? Genuinely interested in why you think that as I can’t for the life of me figure it out.

Chronicle

Finished the game last night. Frankly an amazing game but I gound the ending underwhelming. I wanted more. Kratos should have killed Thor. It's a very tiring narrative e these days: 'let's put our differences aside and fight on common ground together'. It's waaaay over done.

sankt-Antonio

Finished the game last night. Frankly an amazing game but I gound the ending underwhelming. I wanted more. Kratos should have killed Thor. It's a very tiring narrative e these days: 'let's put our differences aside and fight on common ground together'. It's waaaay over done.
I had high hopes that Kratos accepted he is a god killer after killing Halmdall. But nope. We must be better …

And in the end he wants what Odin told him he needed, beeing worshiped by common people. What a noble cause :/

It’s clear the writes wanted to do a comming of age story and had no idea what to do with Kratos and how to handle him. He was way to often in the background, giving Loki the go to “lead the way”. Meh.

The_hunter

The whole Ragnarok section felt very rushed and unsatisfying in my opinion.
Ragnarok was too brief, I wanted to see armies clash, Thor vs Jormungadr, Shield maidens vs Valkyries, Slepnir (which was hinted at in 2018 in the triptych murals).

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
n7UKGNN.jpg

oji-san

Banned
Finished it 2 days ago, honestly i left with a feeling of disappointment, 2018 game was such a great game and narrative, loved it to bits, on my top 3 games i liked the most. Sadly i just can't connect with Ragnarok plot, gameplay is still very good and i enjoyed it very much, but the story just isn't what i envisioned after 2018 ending. All Odin care is the mask, like this whole thing is for nothing, Thor gets his 2 sons killed and doesn't go all in against Kratos and Atreus? same for Freya, just doesn't make sense to me, Freya looked so mad in the end of 2018, and eventually forgive them, felt so wrong to me. The whole Ragnarok thing at the end... you brought him just to regret. The whole "we can do better" a thousand times.
There are things i liked, Fenrir story was awesome, and i kinda liked to see Kratos finally gets a relief seeing himself as someone who will be loved at the end.

Last edited:
What is the trail in the sky in Alfheim along with underwater sounds? It seems like there is an invisible creature floating around? This is after the giant jelly fish creatures disappear. Did I miss any Mimir dialog about it?

oji-san

Banned
What is the trail in the sky in Alfheim along with underwater sounds? It seems like there is an invisible creature floating around? This is after the giant jelly fish creatures disappear. Did I miss any Mimir dialog about it?

Did you save the second hafgufa?

If yes then:
They had sex and gave birth to billion little Hafgufas.

Last edited:
Did you save the second hafgufa?

If yes then:
They had sex and gave birth to billion little Hafgufas.

I did and know that. After that there is a specific vapor like trail which moves around with underwater sound in the sky on one side of the desert area. I will try to capture a video and post it later.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Nah I personally like Ironwood section. It's just too long though.

Btw story behind the gay quest. It based on gay couple work in Santa Monica Studio, one guy passed away so they made this quest for him and his partner.

I didn't know there was a gay quest

I didn't know there was a gay quest

Legit one of the best "LGBTQIA+ quests". It isn't over done, it isn't in your face. Its a simple story with a simple ending. Compare that to something like WoW Dragonflight where they have like 5 "LGBTQIA+" quests where they just hammer it in with every other sentence. "OH MY LOVELY HUSBAND. I LOVE MY HUSBAND. HE IS SUCH A DARLING. HUSSSSSSBAAAAAAAAAAND!". Doesn't feel like they showed any care, any subtlety or good storytelling.

Not so here in Rag.

Chronicle

I had high hopes that Kratos accepted he is a god killer after killing Halmdall. But nope. We must be better …

And in the end he wants what Odin told him he needed, beeing worshiped by common people. What a noble cause :/

It’s clear the writes wanted to do a comming of age story and had no idea what to do with Kratos and how to handle him. He was way to often in the background, giving Loki the go to “lead the way”. Meh.
I agree. I thought Loki should have fought Thrud and Kratos destroy Thor. Thrud should have been a casualty of war. The ending was too 'Disneyfied'. I would have rather seen Loki end up more like Kratos instead of Kratos more like him. The adult world is far more complicated and gray compared to the more black and white view from a child.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A hole.

"It gets bigger the more you take away."

Man, what a perfect fucking ending after you do Broks funeral. The delivery of that line after being left hanging on that riddle for hours was just, *chefs kiss*

Shades of Ellie's "okay" in TLOU.

This game had fantastic writing through and through.

Last edited:

TonyK

A hole.

Man, what a perfect fucking ending after you do Broks funeral. The delivery of that line after being left hanging on that riddle for hours was just, *chefs kiss*

But all the funeral is disappointing and feels cheap. You arrive to the celebration in the tavern and there are only three characters and Brok's corpse lying on a table. With no extra props or clothes, only the same Brok 3D model lying on a table. I remember thinking "when did this game went from AAAA to AA?". I would rather prefer nothing than something so poor for a such important and dramatic scene.

But all the funeral is disappointing and feels cheap. You arrive to the celebration in the tavern and there are only three characters and Brok's corpse lying on a table. With no extra props or clothes, only the same Brok 3D model lying on a table. I remember thinking "when did this game went from AAAA to AA?". I would rather prefer nothing than something so poor for a such important and dramatic scene.
I really can't imagine the dwarves having extra clothes and some huge ass ceremony for funerals, specially considering that his only family member basically vanished and they were left with a body to dispose of like that. And it was Brok...he had no friends and the entire realm had basically ignored both brother's existence for years at that point. It made sense only those were the only people present at his funeral.

A hole.

Yup. The timing he realized what the riddle was, the fact Brok was already dead, etc...it was impeccable timing.

TonyK

I really can't imagine the dwarves having extra clothes and some huge ass ceremony for funerals, specially considering that his only family member basically vanished and they were left with a body to dispose of like that. And it was Brok...he had no friends and the entire realm had basically ignored both brother's existence for years at that point. It made sense only those were the only people present at his funeral.
Even if the explanation could have sense, it's obvious that's not the reason behind how it's done, they simply added extra content reusing existing assets. It's common in development but it feels really cheap for a so crucial post credits moment.

Anyway, game is amazing and I point out these little things because overall is so great that these little things feel a bit out of place from the overall quality.

god damn this guy predicted the TYR IS ODIN twist over a tear ago. Great video with some dope GOW lore.

A "twist" would be something you didn't see coming. Odin masquerading as Tyr was so painfully obvious even before the release. This guy didn't "predict" anything. Just stated the obvious that most people knew.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
A "twist" would be something you didn't see coming. Odin masquerading as Tyr was so painfully obvious even before the release. This guy didn't "predict" anything. Just stated the obvious that most people knew.
I didn't see that coming at all, and I suspect most who played it didn't either. Id assume only those familiar with Norse mythology would have seen it coming due to knowing Odin's deceiving nature in the Lore.

excuse me ?!
BEST story in gaming?
Not with:
-Angrboda saving the day with "much giant magic I dunno" totally destroys everything they worked towards just to give her a role in the story
-Prophecies are 100% correct untile they aren't at the end. OH DUDE I FOUND THIS NEW PANEL that says you don't die and you are worshipped !!!
-Loki goes where exactly??? The realm are right here... they make it sound like he is going on some dangerous journey... but we already killed everything and odin is not a therat.
-You transporting to iron woods in your sleep because you apparently have to and story calls for it....
-Odin being very inconsistent with his powers and him knowing personal TYR history is strange
-not enough done with Thor... They almost had an idea there.
-Kratos story... (in a kratos game) ... being set wayside and really ending with a whimper
-Freya annoying whining for 75% of the game
-Jack and the beanstalk segment (and whole iron woods)
-The ending part where it fucking cuts to black for no reason. Atreus pushes you inside the portal and wakes up in his bed? Cmon dlc....

I recon 2018 had better, more personal story. This just introduces more plot holes, coincidences and is just OUR characters inside story of ragnarok... not influencing it. Just riding along
Don't get me wrong, This is a good story but with so many holes, coincidences, Angrboda and magic when needed, it's on the level of Marvel absurdity.
The best story is in games Like Soma, The Last of us2 and so on.

As for your boss fights ranking:
I really enjoyed Phantom fights. yeah, Fenrir was great. Nidhogg too. Thor part 1 also. Thor part 2 and Odin I kinda disliked as it's just too fast and it's just noise
100% agree with the points made.

Top Bottom