• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Reviewer Has Received Death Threat After Giving The Game A 6 Out Of 10

Lupin25

You get this shit every once in a while in gaming.

I wonder how wide spread this is for movie or book reviewers. I have a feeling (no proof) that you get a shit load more wacky people in gaming.

It’s pretty glaring with a release of this magnitude so he probably expected the attention, but not to this degree…

Sony’s fanbase (or any) can be rabbid.

And Michael Fassbinder elevated trash like Alien Covenant and The Snowman, sure as hell didn't make them great movies because someone's performance outdid everything else.

God of War 18 was an 8/10 for me, the combat was boring and the cutscenes killed a lot of replayability. I didn't play it again till the new game+ and cutscene skips were patched in later on. I still have it pre ordered on Amazon and I'm looking forward to playing it but y'all need to get a grip, you haven't played it, you know nothing about it, you know damn well besides the story what actual combat gameplays been shown doesn't look all that different.

Devil May Cry 5 is one of my top 10 favorite games of ALL TIME and even I can point out that at times the level design isn't great, that when you compare V and Nero their combat isn't at deep even though it's damn fun in their own ways and guess what? I'd still call it an 8 for it's flaws but I've replayed it more than 7 times on different difficulties between the original release, PC and definitive edition on PS5.

Juxtaposed with more highly regarded reviews, it’s just hard not to see some hishonesty lol.

6/10 implies the game made no improvements over 2018 and is worse in every aspect including performance. It’s all subjective, I suppose.

When DMC 5 “released” it was an 8/10, personally, boosted (8.5) by the NG Special Edition. Performance was cool, but I had complaints with repetitive enemies/environments (just off-putting/uninspiring at times).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm laughing at all the "It's not a "6", but..." from people who have yet to play the game. Laughing, I tell you.
The most important review so far to some.
Oprah Winfrey Concert GIF by CBS

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm laughing at all the "It's not a "6", but..." from people who have yet to play the game. Laughing, I tell you.
Agreed.

Anyway, every person may like or not like something. Funny how in movies, everyone is fine with people giving 2 stars or 4 star reviews, while games have this odd way where all reviewers need to funnel their scores to a tight band to make the fanboy feel better. What uber fanboys desperately what to tell the world:

"Oh no. That 6/10 score is going to dump down the Metacritic score a whopping 1 pt. Hey gamers, if you exclude that review the MC score should go up a pt."

I think just about every game site gives Grand Theft Auto 9s and 10s. I hate those games. Other games that I've played which I bin right away though sites give great reviews:

- Shadow of Colossus
- Halo games
- Borderlands games

Last edited:
His review score seemed a bit disingenuous.
6/10 is just… outrageous 😂
But death threats over review scores?

Insane. Nothing surprises me anymore these days tho.

If you wonder why Sony favors Metacritic, this is why.

How the fuck is a subjective opinion of 6/10 outrageous. So many people are fucking embarassing. I swear great films get 2/1 star reviews all the time. It's entirely subjective for fucks sake. Only gamers get upset or care. Sad cunts the lot.

Some people need mommy and hugs

They just need to get laid. Jesus christ sad fucking dweebs. How does a bad review impact their enjoyment at all?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How the fuck is a subjective opinion of 6/10 outrageous. So many people are fucking embarassing. I swear great films get 2/1 star reviews all the time. It's entirely subjective for fucks sake. Only gamers get upset or care. Sad cunts the lot.

They just need to get laid. Jesus christ sad fucking dweebs. How does a bad review impact their enjoyment at all?
That's because nobody who watches tv shows or movies fanboy over which studio makes the content. Nor do they battle which brand of kitchen appliance they own vs the guy next door. You'd think it would be a great battle ground where one guy with $5000 worth of KitchenAid would go toe to toe with a guy spending $5000 on Samsung. They could even do a round robin bracket where it's fridge vs fridge, dish washer vs dishwasher and even which brand makes the best blender.

I bet most people dont give a shit which media company makes the movies or most other things they have in their house. But video games fan warriors have "plastic box theory" drilled into their skulls.

Internet, people get death threats for saying that a woman is a woman... So disliking a game in a poplar franchise is only par for the course.

Not that it makes sense, I suspect that came from Jim himself, given the writing style analysis I made.

Hugare

This is shameful

That said, the review was some piece of shit. He reviewed it from a high horse.

Not only due to the "DLC of the first game" part (which would be considered trolling if posted here on GAF), but him being very judgemental because "he is an indie dev, and also a film director. So he values innovation, creativity, and author's voice as the best virtues" (as seen on his comment)

Sounds like some dude that would stop enjoying something the moment it becomes "mainstream", that would pick some unknown $1 indie as his GOTY because he thinks he has such a refined taste

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Imagine sending death threats because someone didn't like a game you did.
Please, do humanity a favor and eat the business end of a loaded weapon.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some people in Social Media just act like f**cked up10 year olds, just disagree with the reviewer for fuck sake, why the death threats?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The game clearly isn’t a 6/10. But death threats? If true (which I kinda doubt), then really people? Calm the hell down and leave the dude alone.

All about opinions though ain’t it. I ain’t a fan of the first even though it looked amazing, prople
Just go to far don’t they

Sojiro

Just saw his other reviews. He gave Riders Republic and Just Dance 2022 a 7/10. Should have expected some backlash tbh.
And after all, threats like these are most likely just coming from some fat introvert kid who lives in his mother's basement and doesn't even dare to talk to the employees in a store because they possess the self-esteem of an ant.
Oh that is fucking hilarious ROFL. I mean I really doubt this game is a 6/10, but viewed this as some dude posting his (likely shitty) opinion so whatever, but Jesus tits that is something else. As laughable as this is, it certainly doesn't warrant any death threats (nothing does), but a fuck load of mockery thrown his way is deserved.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, I don't about recent games but I started playing the original to get into the franchise this weekend and was almost a complete chore, hoped for it to not feel like that because the game was short but godammit what a horrible insuferable mess with so many design and code flaws, can't believe the game even got a sequel, I'm mind blown honestly and I don't say this for trolling but FUCK, it made me rethink my "peregrination" accross the trilogy in order to get up to date with the franchise... so I have some questions for you fellow GAFers:
1. Are these new PS4 games equally cheap or too similar to that one? You know, basically "same game with different camera"?
2. Are 2 and 3 better? I'd wish the collision detections to work properly and some other stuff like random QTE on executions to be gone honestly, but I think I'll be alright with the collisions detection at least

kyussman

Given there is a huge difference between the amount of death threats issued on the internet over silly shit and the amount of people actually murdered.......statistically speaking he should be ok.

marjo

This is what happens when you get 0 games in a year and your competitor releases something incredible.

The insanity level is real.
So you're blaming the death threats on the fact that Microsoft hasn't released a AAA game this year? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Well, I don't about recent games but I started playing the original to get into the franchise this weekend and was almost a complete chore, hoped for it to not feel like that because the game was short but godammit what a horrible insuferable mess with so many design and code flaws, can't believe the game even got a sequel, I'm mind blown honestly and I don't say this for trolling but FUCK, it made me rethink my "peregrination" accross the trilogy in order to get up to date with the franchise... so I have some questions for you fellow GAFers:
1. Are these new PS4 games equally cheap or too similar to that one? You know, basically "same game with different camera"?
2. Are 2 and 3 better? I'd wish the collision detections to work properly and some other stuff like random QTE on executions to be gone honestly, but I think I'll be alright with the collisions detection at least
Lol, god of war is a PS2 Game and it is a great one, stop talking nonsense. It is like you've never played a hack & Slash in your life.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Lol, god of war is a PS2 Game and it is a great one, stop talking nonsense.
I'm not tho... I think it's a 3/10... maybe if I overstretch it I could give it 5/10 but I'm feeling good about it lol, I hope these new games are way better, considering many things that plagued the design and code of the first one were long gone like 15 years ago (or so I hope)... I find it funny that the journalist gave the game that score while I was thinking even worst about the original.

I get it, some journos like controversy and their 5 min of (bad) fame, but also many others won't score some games lower even if they think so for fear of publisher and fanbase so let's say these will just rebalance the score... I'm finding my self with conflicting feelings about it lol

I'm not tho... I think it's a 3/10... maybe if I overstretch it I could give it 5/10 but I'm feeling good about it lol, I hope these new games are way better, considering many things that plagued the design and code of the first one were long gone like 15 years ago (or so I hope)... I find it funny that the journalist gave the game that score while I was thinking even worst about the original.

I get it, some journos like controversy and their 5 min of (bad) fame, but also many others won't score some games lower even if they think so for fear of publisher and fanbase so let's say these will just rebalance the score... I'm finding my self with conflicting feelings about it lol
For me it is a 10/10 Game, in 2005 it was one of the Best action games out there, great gameplay, music, etc. It's just old now, did You expect ps4 graphics or something?
I still play it to this day because it is a fun and epic Game.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I wish people realised that reviews are just other people's opinions and that you should play games for yourself and form your own opinions.

I mean Nier Automata has a 89% opencritic & I would barely give it a 5/10. (5 points for ost)

Animal crossing: new horizons has a 90% opencritic & I probably would barely give it a 2/10 as I find it very boring/mundane.

It's nothing to be upset or triggered over, we all just enjoy different things.

Kataploom

Gold Member
For me it is a 10/10 Game, in 2005 it was one of the Best action games out there, great gameplay, music, etc. It's just old now, did You expect ps4 graphics or something?
No, I just didn't expect:
- Random QTE input
- RNG to hell and back
- A collision detection that barely works (it barely works on quick action moments like executions or those thin surfaces on hades challenges, literally Kratos could slip randomly way too much after jumping the spinning things even if not moving at all
- Regarding collisions, they're very badly put on some places like spinning blades on underworld, they're just too big and camera obscures them too much so I just felt like passing through that section was pure luck and not even skills at all because a random blade behind or above me I didn't even feel I touched or even saw sent me down again

Graphics looked VERY good in my opinion, I'm more of art style, realistic games bore me visually most of the time so I'm pleased by its visuals.

My question is... Do these new games have any of these?

Last edited:
No, I just didn't expect:
- Random QTE input
- RNG to hell and back
- A collision detection that barely works (it barely works on quick action moments like executions or those thin surfaces on hades challenges, literally Kratos could slip randomly way too much after jumping the spinning things even if not moving at all
- Regarding collisions, they're very badly put on some places like spinning blades on underworld, they're just too big and camera obscures them too much so I just felt like passing through that section was pure luck and not even skills at all because a random blade behind or above me I didn't even feel I touched or even saw sent me down again

Graphics looked VERY good in my opinion, I'm more of art style, realistic games bore me visually most of the time so I'm pleased by its visuals.

My question is... Do these new games have any of these?
All of them are very similar, maybe these types of games and very old games are not for You.

Kataploom

Gold Member
All of them are very similar, maybe these types of games and very old games are not for You.
Nah, I play many old games from old gens, I'm never totally up to date with games, but maybe I'm just too used to Nintendo polish which was, IMO, waaaaay ahead of its time, maybe it's the reason I cannot enjoy games like Mario Sunshine, I feel it lacks that polish too and GOW lacks that polish in spades, I read somewhere the game could crash sometimes on PS2, that's why I think these new games won't feel so annoying to me, specially if the combat is more souls-like (am I wrong?)

Nah, I play many old games from old gens, I'm never totally up to date with games, but maybe I'm just too used to Nintendo polish which was, IMO, waaaaay ahead of its time, maybe it's the reason I cannot enjoy games like Mario Sunshine, I feel it lacks that polish too and GOW lacks that polish in spades, I read somewhere the game could crash sometimes on PS2, that's why I think these new games won't feel so annoying to me, specially if the combat is more souls-like (am I wrong?)
Well, it never crashed on My ps2, and I only had one bug with the music of the Game which was repeating every time until I reset the ps2, other than that no. The Game is very well Made and it is very polished, it is just old desing because it is a 17 yo game and Made for very old hardware. The new god of war from 2018 is way too different to the original trilogy, You may like it way more. Also, gow 2 and 3 feel much better in that aspect.

Last edited:
A very mentally ill person wrote that threat. Hope they get the help they need.

It's funny to see that some people think outlier reviews shouldn't exist and can't be legit if they stray from the common viewpoint. Why even have a Metacritic average if you have that mindset?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
A very mentally ill person wrote that threat. Hope they get the help they need.

It's funny to see that some people think outlier reviews shouldn't exist and can't be legit if they stray from the common viewpoint. Why even have a Metacritic average if you have that mindset?

I think an outlier review is fine as long as the reviewer does a good job outlining the reasoning behind their review. I don't think this Korea reviewer did that at all. A sequel is not typically dramatically different from its predecessor, especially when the predecessor was as lavishly praised as God of War. But this is the reason the Korean reviewer dished on GoW: R. The problem is the review in entirely incomplete compared to other reviews. The Korean reviewer doesn't talk about the side quests at all. Doesn't mention the new realms. Doesn't mention the bosses which is something people complained about in the previous game. It is an entirely hollow review.

A rare honest review

That's funny because you haven't played the game and apparently haven't read the review either.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think an outlier review is fine as long as the reviewer does a good job outlining the reasoning behind their review. I don't think this Korea reviewer did that at all. A sequel is not typically dramatically different from its predecessor, especially when the predecessor was as lavishly praised as God of War. But this is the reason the Korean reviewer dished on GoW: R. The problem is the review in entirely incomplete compared to other reviews. The Korean reviewer doesn't talk about the side quests at all. Doesn't mention the new realms. Doesn't mention the bosses which is something people complained about in the previous game. It is an entirely hollow review.
It’s almost as if he never played the game at all and just used meme trolling “talking points.”

Top Bottom