• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Reviewer Has Received Death Threat After Giving The Game A 6 Out Of 10

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
god-of-war-ragnarok.jpg

Bae Sang Hyun wrote the review for IGN Korea as what he described as a "guest critic," in addition to being an indie game developer and film director. He gave the game a 6 out of 10 in his review, which by the site's standards is listed as "okay," via Google Translate. His review calls Ragnarok "A game that will lean on its predecessor and stops right in front of the door of misery." His review particularly criticized the "boring" nature of the parent-child relationships driving the story and compares the overall feel of Ragnarok to a DLC to 2018's God of War rather than a standalone game.

As a result, the writer has taken to his Twitter account to defend both himself and his opinion. In one Tweet, which we will not show here due to the content, Bae Sang Hyun shared an image of one message he received, in which someone had insulted him for his writing skill, his physical appearance, and his nationality before issuing threats that he would "beat your a** and humble you so good that you wouldnt [sic] even dare write this s***," and ending with "imma kill you."

In response, Bae Sang Hyun posted in the comment section of a YouTube video from the channel OhNoItsAlexx, in which the host criticized "PlayStation fanboys" for their attacks on the journalist. His response reads, in part, "I believe that various opinions can develop this industry. I may continue to write reviews from a different perspective. And I want to tell this to everyone. Just because I write a review with a different perspective doesn't change your gaming experience."

Godot25

Banned
Since fanboys are usually "reasonable" people, this should surprise nobody.

At this point I'm surprised that some Star Wars zealot did not murder Rian Johnson.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Gave it a 6/10 and called it a dlc?

Dude has some guts.

But he is also a indie game developer and film director so I suppose he judged it from a different perspective. I can respect that.

Is that so? And just which indie games has he developed and which films has he directed?

Opinions are exactly that and not reflective of anyone else’s experience. It’s a shame that he didn’t enjoy it as much as other reviewers but equally there’s feedback for developers should they wish to read the review.

Death threats are never OK for media reviews. That’s all there is to say about it really.

Whether this guy was serious about his review or just trolling, there's no need to get bent out of shape about it and send the dude death threats. That's not on

Best to just accept that there will always be people who hate the things you love and love the things you hate. At the end of the day, one bad score shouldn't weigh so heavily with a fanbase. It's silly

mortal

Gold Member
smfh people really do fixate more on the negative than on the positive. especially on the internet.

Something can get overwhelming glowing reviews, but some will still care even more about the one "negative" review.

Whatever. I'm numb to these people claiming they have "death threats". 99 times out of 100 they have zero fear that their life is in danger, but are looking for free online sympathy.

Now, if it was a legitimate death threat - one that actually has any chance of being something where someone would follow through, that's different and law enforcement should be involved.

Otherwise, it's just an anonymous online insult, that anyone who uses social media experiences daily.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
A serious artist/director/writer/indie developer would never write a review for IGN, specially one where they trash other artists.

It’s bait and nothing else. The guy is an idiot.

Don’t expect folks like adamsapple to ever understand this, go out there and meet some serious artists and ask them if they would ever do something like this.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If you read it, it doesn't make any sense. Lol he even used "DLC" term, which was previously appropriated by the most low-tier trolls with infusoria IQ
If that's what he feels about the game then it's perfectly fine for him to put that on his review, doesn't matter what the trolls are saying.

Gave it a 6/10 and called it a dlc?

Dude has some guts.

But he is also a indie game developer and film director so I suppose he judged it from a different perspective. I can respect that.
I don’t know why they would want someone who prefers indie games to review this game. He basically said in the review he didn’t like the game because it lacks creativity and innovation like the indie games lol.

Either way he doesn’t deserve death threats that’s crazy

Lupin25

His review score seemed a bit disingenuous.
6/10 is just… outrageous 😂
But death threats over review scores?

Insane. Nothing surprises me anymore these days tho.

If you wonder why Sony favors Metacritic, this is why.

Top Bottom