• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok is Being Review Bombed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toots

Gold Member
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin
She's cute as a clown I'd rather spend time with her than review bombing (or reviewing) anything

sainraja

Its honeymoon season is over and now that more people have digested it and stoped drinking the critic cum fluid, they realized its really not an amazing game. Its good but not a 9 or 10, barely an 8. The atreus parts are really bad.
So others aren't allowed to feel differently than you about the game?

This is purely review bombing. Something that happens quite a lot in gaming.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Any user review that gives 0 or 10 shouldnt be counted, it would make review sites better, they would have to do it secretly though. change my mind

Last edited:
So others aren't allowed to feel differently than you about the game?

Where did I say that? Just stating why some downvote it. 1's and 10's are dumb. If you consider 10 valid, then so should a 1 be valid as well because as you stated, we should allow other to feel differently about the game.

sainraja

Where did I say that? Just stating why some downvote it. 1's and 10's are dumb. If you consider 10 valid, then so should a 1 be valid as well because as you stated, we should allow other to feel differently about the game.
I mean sure, but this is clearly a pattern of review bombing.

mortal

Gold Member
Do those engaging in review bombing like this not realize that their actions cause the user rating to have less credibility as a metric?
Making it even more of a waste of time than it already was.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Feels like this happens constantly with major titles, which is also why “user” reviews on these sites are the most pointless number imaginable.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Imagining taking the effort. Btw please dont have me read 2 paragraphs to get to the point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Agreed.

Problem is gamers are conditioned to rate games on a 6-10 scale like game sites the past 15-20 years. So even a shit game should still get a 5 or 6. So when other gamers give legit scores they think are a 3/10, some gamers go ape shit because that person's rating methodology is different than his.

As if every game site reviewer and gamer at home on Earth has to magically use the same scoring method.

To me, if a game is shit, it's getting a 0, 1, or 2. An average game is a 5. And great games are 9s and 10s. I use a 1-10 scale. Or even a 0-10 scale.

Flutta

Banned
For those asking to ban user reviews would you also want to ban user reviews for movies, shows, products in general? Or do you just want banning of user reviews for games/movies/product you like?

Like some have said, do we also apply the same logic to those perfect 10/10 score reviews?

Or better yet just Ignore it all together, sure you lot can do that right?

Not the first game to get fake 0s on MC and it won't be the last. Luckily none of it matters.

Starfield will be a massive ocean of 0s too, as will Forza Motorsport, as will Tears of the Kingdom regardless of how they turn out.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those asking to ban user reviews would you also want to ban user reviews for movies, shows, products in general? Or do you just want banning of user reviews for games/movies/product you like?

Like some have said, do we also apply the same logic to those perfect 10/10 score reviews?

Or better yet just Ignore it all together, sure you lot can do that right?
Fake reviews can go for anything, but I dont think there's people coordinating review padding or review bombing for a toaster on Amazon.

But gaming has lots of hardcore weirdos trying to boost or bomb games. And sites like MC doesn't even track verified users. Right now, I can sign up and give 10s and 0s leaving the comment box blank. Or just leave one sentence.

Last edited:
I don't think user reviews should be removed, I think they're a vital counterbalance against critic reviews which can sometimes be very biased and off from the typical end user experience.

What I think needs to happen is that user reviews need to be controlled based on confirmed ownership of a game and weight against the completion percentage of the game.

Formula would be

Grade of game divided by 10 * current completion/current average completion rating

So if I give a game 10/10 and I played it for 40 hours and the average completion rating is 40 hours, that gives my review full weight divided by the full number of users and their respective weight. Something like that

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think user reviews should be removed, I think they're a vital counterbalance against critic reviews which can sometimes be very biased and off from the typical end user experience.

What I think needs to happen is that user reviews need to be controlled based on confirmed ownership of a game and weight against the completion percentage of the game.

Formula would be

Grade of game divided by 10 * current completion/current average completion rating

So if I give a game 10/10 and I played it for 40 hours and the average completion rating is 40 hours, that gives my review full weight divided by the full number of users and their respective weight. Something like that
Another way is do it like Olympic review scores. MC chops off the bottom scores and the best scores, so the middle portion of like 70-80% of the scores are what are counted. The extremes are excluded.

Nothing wrong with adjusting the overall user score rating anyway, since MC's critic score isn't a pure average score either. It's based on their secret methodology where they give some sites a higher weighting. No doubt a site like IGN gets heavier weighting than "Obscure Game Site X from Italy". It's even stated in their FAQ they do this.

Last edited:
Another way is do it like Olympic review scores. MC chops off the bottom scores and the best scores, so the middle portion of like 70-80% of the scores are what are counted. The extremes are excluded.

Nothing wrong with adjusting the overall user score rating anyway, since MC's critic score isn't a pure average score either. It's based on their secret methodology where they give some sites a higher weighting. No doubt a site like IGN gets heavier weighting than "Obscure Game Site X from Italy". It's even stated in their FAQ they do this.

I think it's fine to weight them, but I don't think 9s and 10s should randomly be removed because people gives 0s and 1s to AAA games that are entirely functioning games...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
With NG+ no talking NPC, no boy, just going thought the missions ala Diablo adventure mode and GoW could be a goty. As it is now, nah ah.

Got a conspiracy theory: Game developers create smurf accounts and bomb their own games with stupid 0/10 reviews so user scores lose credibility. Then, the "mainstream" shill reviewers will be the sole arbiters of review scores.

That's been the case since the early 2000s been a bunch of scandals regarding that on previous site/platforms.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Formula would be

87-B85-A8-E-AB52-4464-9517-E2-C9-E4592558.jpg

User reviews definitely deserve to be there

Just take them with a mountain of salt when it’s a 1st party game from anyone

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That's lame, but it should balance things out a bit. I firmly believe this game is going to "age poorly" when people go back to it in a few years, even though it already feels aged to me. I've finished every God of War mainline game, but for this one and Ascension. In fact, I've completed them all twice. Something isn't right with Ragnarok, if you ask me, and I can't deny that the praise sort of bums me out, if only because I want to see the games I think are good be rewarded. No ill will towards anyone who likes it.

Bragr

Banned
That's lame, but it should balance things out a bit. I firmly believe this game is going to "age poorly" when people go back to it in a few years, even though it already feels aged to me. I've finished every God of War mainline game, but for this one and Ascension. In fact, I've completed them all twice. Something isn't right with Ragnarok, if you ask me, and I can't deny that the praise sort of bums me out, if only because I want to see the games I think are good be rewarded. No ill will towards anyone who likes it.
It's a weird one, I also feel it's gonna age quickly. You are always gonna have the "best game EVA" crowd cheering it on, but the first feels so much tighter and better crafted in most ways. The story is too ambitious for its own good. This sentiment is gonna grow through the years.

And the length of this game is gonna turn a lot of people off, I think that's one of the reasons you see these weak user reviews, most casual players are noticing they are stopping midway and will never finish it.

Boss Man

Oh no..whatever will we do, not the user reviews!!! They cant keep getting away with it!!!!

/s

Come on, when has anyone given a shit about metacritic user scores? Don't give these trolls the attention they want
I take the user reviews more seriously than the “journalist” reviews and they’ve never steered me wrong…

In this case though, Ragnarok is a legit great game. I was very cynical going into it (looked too similar 2018, seemed like it would be too political) but the more I played the more they won me over. While there’s not really any technical improvement over 2018, they did actually make use of that extra time to bring more and better content. Elden Ring should win GOTY though.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think everytime a Sony game releases the negative reviews are mislabelled as ‘review bombs’. Complaining about the narrative, cinematic focus or technical issues are all legitimate complaints. The 0 scores with praise for the game are probably just being left by technically illiterate people. What a scandal :rolleyes:

lmao.

All part of the fun of the internet. I remember when forums used to encourage this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom