• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok Could Be Like The Last of Us 2 by Allowing You to Play As Atreus

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Well, not a fan if it takes up a fair amount of gameplay. Not that Atreus isn't interesting, just to me Kratos is the god of war, old trilogy or the new ones. The can make individual game/DLC for Atreus for all I care.

I have a feeling they should have rather concrete story outlines for the sequels, based on the secret ending and the murals, so hopefully they don't really need to " look to The Last of Us 2 for more inspiration" story wise.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Would be cool if Atreus becomes the bad guy and you have to kill him on the third game.

There is no way Atreus would be the "bad guy." if anything it will end up with Kratos needing to be stopped by Atreus. Kratos has always been something of an anti-hero

Krizalidx11

Banned
Exclusive 1st look on adult Atreus

119-1190175_square-button-sony-playstation.png

skit_data

I think Atreus true identity opens up for more interesting paths in terms of both gameplay and story than Kratos, but they might have to rename the series

God of Pranks and Mischief doesn’t really work though

EDMIX

Would be cool if Atreus becomes the bad guy and you have to kill him on the third game.

That would be sick. They already hint at that somewhere in God Of War. If they can make it tie it, would be fucking awesome to have him as a bad guy fighting Kratoes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Allowing?
I don't want choice like in gta 5.
FOCUS the story, Focus the gameplay.

Unless it's 2 player coop. That could work

Honestly I wouldn’t mind playing as Atreus, but it could be a risk for the game if not executed properly mostly because Kratos is a huge part of the franchise and lore. It’s like replacing Ryu Hayabusa with his daughter halfway through the game. Sure, it will still be a great game, but you just know a legion of fans will probably be upset not playing with Ryu throughout the game.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really hope not.

I found Atreus to be annoying AF. That and he is mainly a ranged fighter.

The combat was so good in the last game because you could combine melee attacks from Kratos and ranged attacks from Atreus. The combat was incredible! If it's not broke don't try to fix it!

GymWolf

Gold Member
The only thing i care is about the game not being crossgen.

Please jimbo, don't fuck up this one after you ass fucked the horizon sequel already.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'm just gonna say this, Atreus is the most annoying, whiny, disgusting and extremely unlikeable bitch I ever seen in video games. There's absolutely nothing to like about him as a character, he talks too much, he screams too much, he annoys the fuck out of me everytime he talks and attacks Kratos for whatever reason. Ellie in The Last of Us 1 was FAN-FUCKIN'-TASTIC and Atreus can fuck off.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

There is no way Atreus would be the "bad guy." if anything it will end up with Kratos needing to be stopped by Atreus. Kratos has always been something of an anti-hero

This -

It would complete the cycle far better with Kratos killing his father and then Atreus killing his (as in Kratos). Shows that no matter the path you take the end result will always be the same. (Then again there could be an interesting defying fate mechanic but will leave that thread for another time).

cormack12

Gold Member
Part of the fun of these games is seeing how SSM marry all the lore together. I think Ragnarok will be about Thor pursuing Kratos and Loki for Baldur like in the mythology. I can see at the end the fakeout where we think Kratos is dead and Loki is taken by Thor for imprisonment. But the mural below - possibly they put a healing/protection ward on Kratos for which he is able to wake from in III, rescue Kratos and go kill Odin

The big question mark will be how they incorporate Fenrir. How old is Loki going to be in the next god of war, or will it take place over ten years or so as he becomes stronger etc

God-of-War.jpg

Please no, Atreus was such a boring and annoying character. Ellie in TLOU1 was much more well realized.
Yeah but Ellie was totally unlikeable in the 2nd game, it's like they just assumed they could make her a jerk and we'd still like her. Atreus could go either way still and they'd know they need to do more work on him I'm sure.

Pedro Motta

Well, not a fan if it takes up a fair amount of gameplay. Not that Atreus isn't interesting, just to me Kratos is the god of war, old trilogy or the new ones. The can make individual game/DLC for Atreus for all I care.

I have a feeling they should have rather concrete story outlines for the sequels, based on the secret ending and the murals, so hopefully they don't really need to " look to The Last of Us 2 for more inspiration" story wise.
Another butthurt fan if the story doesn't roll out as he expected. Grow up.

Yoboman

Part of the fun of these games is seeing how SSM marry all the lore together. I think Ragnarok will be about Thor pursuing Kratos and Loki for Baldur like in the mythology. I can see at the end the fakeout where we think Kratos is dead and Loki is taken by Thor for imprisonment. But the mural below - possibly they put a healing/protection ward on Kratos for which he is able to wake from in III, rescue Kratos and go kill Odin

The big question mark will be how they incorporate Fenrir. How old is Loki going to be in the next god of war, or will it take place over ten years or so as he becomes stronger etc

God-of-War.jpg
This is obviously Tyr IMO

Missing hand and face purposefully obscured. Tyr loses his hand to Fenrir in Norse mythology

Tyr is depicted in murals with a green tunic and Kratos with red

XsFVc03.jpg

mmiYz8A.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
This is obviously Tyr IMO

Missing hand and face purposefully obscured. Tyr loses his hand to Fenrir in Norse mythology

Tyr is depicted in murals with a green tunic and Kratos with red

XsFVc03.jpg

mmiYz8A.jpg
Do you think Kratos will become Tyr either by ascedancy or inheritance?

Haggard

Banned
Let´s just say that making Atreus (Loki) feel as good as Kratos in combat would be a difficult development task.
I certainly don`t want to play the as the scrawny bow-baby he was in GoW.

MayauMiao

I don't understand how allowing you to play as Atreus is the same as like playing TLoUII that forces you to play as Abby.

kyliethicc

1- Kratos is definitely going to die eventually and Atreus will become the playable character. He'll be the new God of War. But when?

2- Cory Barlog said The Last of Us was a major inspiration for the reboot. In that game, we played as Joel for most of the game, but Ellie was playable for a portion of the game as well. Could they do something like that in the next God of War game? Its possible.

now

Imagine playing as an older bigger Atreus with his bow and his spells..

... and the frosty Leviathan axe, forged by Brock & Sindri for his mother, passed down by his father..

... and a flaming longsword, again forged by Brock & Sindri, made from his father's fiery Blades of Chaos.

That'd be fucking cool.

Top Bottom