• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok Could Be Like The Last of Us 2 by Allowing You to Play As Atreus

This worked well for Halo 5...
So you're comparing Sony Santa Monica to 343?

Granted SSM made a misstep with Ascension (which could have been the end of the series), they and Barlog revitalised it.

In any case it's about execution, if they go down this path and do it right, the majority are not going to care eg MGS2

Hugare

Kratos is going to die going against Thor (both will die). Atreus will avenge Kratos going for the rest of the gods + Odin.

Will be interesting because he would be mirroring Kratos quest in the first 3 games. Something that Kratos wouldnt want for him.

So basically TLOU Part 2 lol

The similarities are blatant.

After finishing TLOU Part 2 I went : "Oh shit, Cory must be pissed. Everyone will say that he copied TLOU yet again in Ragnarok"

Rheon

People have made some fan art playing around with an older Atreus, can be pretty badass if done right IMO:

d9oLpZL.jpg

He's hot.

tenor.gif

Fake

Hope they don't remove Kratos from the franchise. As soon as Kratos is gone I'll be out of this.

G-Bus

Banned
No. Have zero interest in playing anyone other than Kratos in God of War games. I do like having a side kick mapped to a button press. That was cool for sure.

Could see Atreus getting kidnapped or something.

Last edited:
So you're comparing Sony Santa Monica to 343?

Granted SSM made a misstep with Ascension (which could have been the end of the series), they and Barlog revitalised it.

In any case it's about execution, if they go down this path and do it right, the majority are not going to care eg MGS2
I'm comparing like situations. No one wanted to play as Abby either.

kyliethicc

I hope thats not true. That would be stupid and immediately make me go 'wwwwhhwyyyyyyyyywyyyy!!!'

I'm also not a fan of those older atreus mockups of someone from the maze runner or hunger games.
Jörmungand is a child of Loki, so this will need some real time travel magic mindfuckery to work out

I have full confidence in SSM though, especially since Cory seems to have a lot figured out early

Kratos:
Ash white skin.
Golden brown eyes.
Beard.
Red markings along body.
Loves Atreus & helps him.

Jormungandr
Ash white scales.
Golden eyes.
Beard.
Red markings along body.
Likes Atreus & helps him.

They're either the same person or very close relatives lol.

WcYhUQ0.jpg

tYwL28p.jpg

Looks like Kratos dies, and Atreus creates the world serpent. Mimir already teased that the giant snake gets sent back in time when he gets hit by Thor's hammer, during Ragnarok.

Could Kratos be reincarnated? Perhaps. They have changed plenty of stuff already, its not like they're following Norse mythology exactly.

yTOArCB.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
Kratos:
Ash white skin.
Golden brown eyes.
Beard.
Red markings along body.
Loves Atreus & helps him.

Jormungandr
Ash white scales.
Golden eyes.
Beard.
Red markings along body.
Likes Atreus & helps him.

They're either the same person or very close relatives lol.

WcYhUQ0.jpg

tYwL28p.jpg

Looks like Kratos dies, and Atreus creates the world serpent. Mimir already teased that the giant snake gets sent back in time when he gets hit by Thor's hammer, during Ragnarok.

Could Kratos be reincarnated? Perhaps. They have changed plenty of stuff already, its not like they're following Norse mythology exactly.

yTOArCB.jpg

giphy.webp

Stop it. I do not want this. :messenger_crying:

kyliethicc

giphy.webp

Stop it. I do not want this. :messenger_crying:
Why not lol the big snake is cool, he helps out! All of this is me guessing, who knows?

Plus it makes it even funnier if when Kratos sailed inside the serpent he was traveling inside his future self.

And it could explain why Jormungandr is so friendly towards Boy! and even helped them out in the end fight vs Baldur.

If they wanna kill Kratos but then have him live on as the snake, it'd be a cool way for Kratos to get some revenge.

We know he hates Thor, wonder why?

GuinGuin

Banned
It takes smart and humble leadership to acknowledge the best and try to learn from it. I'm sure Druckmann would be happy to give their script a once over as well if they asked. That's what makes Sony Worldwide Studios so powerful. Many teams at the top of their craft sharing resources and information.

GuinGuin

Banned
Hope they don't remove Kratos from the franchise. As soon as Kratos is gone I'll be out of this.

So a Kratos-less sequel could be the most universally praised game ever made and you would skip it because it doesn't feature one particular fictional character? That seems like a form of self harm.

God of War could also be a buddy cop romance set in 80's with spaghetti and meatballs being the main villains in the game.

See?

I can also make up shit.

GuinGuin

Banned
God of war 2 will be Atreus coming out as a trans woman and the entire game will be kratos fighting the demons inside his mind to leave behind his transphobia and accept her daughter. You fight thor at the end as a metaphor of the LGBTQIA defeating White cishet Alt right males.

You're confusing God of War with Hellblade 2.

Ian Henry

I think Atreus true identity opens up for more interesting paths in terms of both gameplay and story than Kratos, but they might have to rename the series

God of Pranks and Mischief doesn’t really work though
The Tangler
Poetic Edda
Knot
The Loop

Fake

So a Kratos-less sequel could be the most universally praised game ever made and you would skip it because it doesn't feature one particular fictional character?

Yes. And this is my personal opinion, but saying will be 'universally praised' a game that not even release yet is not an opinion, unless you have a time machine.

I hyped about the game, but I'll repeat again this franchise is nothing without Kratos for me.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Yes. And this is my personal opinion, but saying will be 'universally praised' a game that not even release yet is not an opinion, unless you have a time machine.

I hyped about the game, but I'll repeat again this franchise is nothing without Kratos for me.

It's called a hypothetical situation. No time machine required. If there was a brand new series from Santa Monica named Loki would you skip it too based on principal?

Fake

It's called a hypothetical situation. No time machine required. If there was a brand new series from Santa Monica named Loki would you skip it too based on principal?

Yes. Again I don't speak for everyone here. Kratos, Ratchet and Clank and other icons are very important to me since PS2 era.

sure but the guy was being straight up idolised before last of us part 2. now all people will remember when his name is mentoned is everything that went down and how he screwed up the last of us.
Not so sure, there was a group of people who did not like the last of us to begin with and the game sold pretty well, people completed it at least 58% (as of last September).

I'd say it's a vocal minority.

Would be cool if Atreus becomes the bad guy and you have to kill him on the third game.
Kratos is the bad guy, man. He killed his own family, all gods, his own brothers and father and of humanity suffering for his destruction he said "let them suffer".

what did Atreus kill? A deer? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

boi gotta need a lot more beef to turn against papa...

BigBooper

The whole playing as someone else for a while mechanic rarely ever works. I hated those sections of Spiderman. It was ok in Red Dead because they played the exact same, but I would still prefer to play the character that I've grown to like.

Barakov

Well, not a fan if it takes up a fair amount of gameplay. Not that Atreus isn't interesting, just to me Kratos is the god of war, old trilogy or the new ones. The can make individual game/DLC for Atreus for all I care.

I have a feeling they should have rather concrete story outlines for the sequels, based on the secret ending and the murals, so hopefully they don't really need to " look to The Last of Us 2 for more inspiration" story wise.
It's going to be a hard pass for me if they go down this route.

Banned
Barlog knows what he is doing. I have 100% faith in his and Santamonica's abilities to create another masterpiece.
"another" one would necessitate that they did create a "masterpiece" once.

GoW4 was good, but a game with such a shallow fighting system, pretty unimaginative leveldesign and some of the most boring boss fights in GoW history being called a masterpiece is funny :)

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I don’t see the correlation between playing as Atreus and TLoUS II
Pig Abby getting Star treatment. Annoying little button prompt getting full controller access.

I hope we can throw him off a cliff like we could Abby.

Barlog needs to keep the politics out of it and have Loki change into a horse so he can get fucked and give birth. Not doing this is political

Atreus is non-binary they/them. Atreus Lovato.

"another" one would necessitate that they did create a "masterpiece" once.

GoW4 was good, but a game with such a shallow fighting system, pretty unimaginative leveldesign and some of the most boring boss fights in GoW history being called a masterpiece is funny :)

did you play god of war or just watch a couple of youtube videos?

Entroyp

Pig Abby getting Star treatment. Annoying little button prompt getting full controller access.

I hope we can throw him off a cliff like we could Abby.

Atreus is non-binary they/them. Atreus Lovato.

Abby was not in the first game. We never expected we’ve be playing with an unknown character. Playing as Atreus is something we all expect to do at some point. There’s no correlation as I said.

I was hoping for Greta Thunberg to make a cameo appearance in the game. The player could control her to fight some sort of ecologic danger together with Kratos.

DilWSTS

This article is ridiculous, the correct way to phrase this would be this could be like TLOU where you could play as ellie instead of joel. There is a big difference. If God of War let you play as the antagonist for 55% of the game then id agree. Atreus is not the antagonist but essentially the supplemental main character of the previous GoW

GymWolf

Gold Member
Did you play Horizon FW already? So lucky! How does it end?
The fact that the sequel of my gotg is crossgen and not ps5 exclusive is already a fucked up situation for me.

Ratchet is already a striking example of what full fledged exclusive can do compared to a crossgen like morales, unless you are blind or purposely naive.

Last edited:
Some people aren’t familiar with Lokis role in Norse mythology
You dont need to know the mythology. Fathers killing sons is a reoccurring theme in God of War. There's a side mission involving a bandit stabbed in the back by his own child, which Atreus fixates on a lot (he can't understand how anyone could do that to their own father). Kratos later admits he killed his own father Zeus. Atreus shoots Kratos after he destroys the first gateway to Jotunheim so he's capable of rage-based impulsiveness. In the end of the game, Atreus wonders if gods are destined to kill their own fathers as he witnesses Balder try to kill his his mother. In the end of the game theres this mural

Panel.jpg

that kratos hides from Atreus. Atreus might break the the cycle. He did show his psycho side. Kratos killed his father, and his father killed his father.

xBlueStonex

With the exception of perhaps Dragon Age 2, I have never played a sequel with such a massive drop in quality than TLOU2. I hope Barlog stays as far away from Druckmann as possible.

skit_data

You dont need to know the mythology. Fathers killing sons is a reoccurring theme in God of War. There's a side mission involving a bandit stabbed in the back by his own child, which Atreus fixates on a lot (he can't understand how anyone could do that to their own father). Kratos later admits he killed his own father Zeus. Atreus shoots Kratos after he destroys the first gateway to Jotunheim so he's capable of rage-based impulsiveness. In the end of the game, Atreus wonders if gods are destined to kill their own fathers as he witnesses Balder try to kill his his mother. In the end of the game theres this mural

Panel.jpg

that kratos hides from Atreus. Atreus might break the the cycle. He did show his psycho side. Kratos killed his father, and his father killed his father.
I was mostly referring to Loki being considered a ”bad guy” and since him and several of his children are the ones to bring about Ragnarök (Fenrir, Jormundgand) we might see him turn into a bad guy and have to defeat him ourselves as Kratos.

It’s not impossible the upcoming games might do the old switcheroo on the themes of God of War with Kratos and having to defeat Loki and his children. It all depends on how they would pull off such a timewarped scenario and if Loki is treated as the mythological character Loki or as Atreus.

Edit: Might add that in true God of War fashion, it’s probably written in a way so that Loki is not as bad as he seems, and that his reasons for acting out revenge on the other Gods is justified just like Kratos rage against Zeus was justified. I think they will pull it off, I mean it felt justified to smash the greek pantheon to bits so it will probably work with the norse one as well

Last edited:
Not at all the same since we got to know Atreus.

Abby reeks of retconning the story due to no better ideas. I was not a fan. I highly enjoyed TLOU2 for its action and stealth. Most of the story was fine. However, there had to have been better options than just putting in a retcon type character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom