• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok Could Be Like The Last of Us 2 by Allowing You to Play As Atreus

Yoboman

Atreus will age with his voice actor. He is 15 now so he will be about that age in the game

so I just don’t see him taking sort of leading role

Last edited:

skit_data

Nah, cuz Kratos is the World Serpent.

Why else does the giant snake have white & red scales and a beard? Time travel baby.
Jörmungand is a child of Loki, so this will need some real time travel magic mindfuckery to work out

I have full confidence in SSM though, especially since Cory seems to have a lot figured out early

Last edited:
Sony Santa Monica have earned the right to take the series in whatever direction they want after bringing GoW back following Ascension. And SSM shouldn't be afraid to try something that would be new for the series - developers can't be afraid to take a few risks.

I would personally be disappointed if an older Atreus/Loki wasn't playable for at least part of the game, after all he's is a key part of Norse mythology and could offer a different playstyle - btw I think he'll get the Axe, while Kratos gets Thor's hammer.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Why else does the giant snake have white & red scales and a beard? Time travel baby.

I hope thats not true. That would be stupid and immediately make me go 'wwwwhhwyyyyyyyyywyyyy!!!'

I'm also not a fan of those older atreus mockups of someone from the maze runner or hunger games.

Shane89

As long as no smashing Kratos head with a club, I’m fine with it.
i
mtv be show GIF by MTV Nederland

Kupfer

My biggest wish for this game is that the boy dies at the beginning of the game. I mean that seriously and make no reference to TLOU.
But the boy was a complete pain in the ass in GOW 2018 and Kratos has degenerated into a lame daddy. The death of the brat would once again bring the necessary rage to the game that made the original GOWs what they are - awesome games.

Last edited:
My biggest wish for this game is that the boy dies at the beginning of the game. I mean that seriously and make no reference to TLOU.
But the boy was a complete pain in the ass in GOW 2018 and Kratos has degenerated into a lame daddy. The death of the brat would once again bring the necessary rage to the game that made the original GOWs what they are - awesome games.
I hope no unnecessary gay turnings.
Fuck that little shit
Nick Young Wtf GIF

On topic:
I'm quite confident that SMS will in some way surprise us.
Time Travel might be a thing, I was thinking at some point due to that , Kratos might turn out to be Tyr himself or become his successor.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if Kratos gets involved with another Religion/Pantheon while fighting the Norse Gods.
Loki could be doing lots of chaotic stuff as his abilities develop and hes growing up.

I think people are forgetting that Atreus is literally
Loki
Somebody for sure is going to get stabbed in the back, and i think the game will explore whether this will be Kratos or the norse Gods.

Last edited:
You clearly don't know anything about Norse mythology (not that I'm an expert) and even at the end of GoW 2018, during the scene with the murals, Kratos basically says it's Atreus' story.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
You can play as someone who isn't the main character. That's awful, thankfully that never happened in TLOU where you played as Sarah, Joel, Ellie and Joel again.

Kupfer

I think people are forgetting that Atreus is literally
Loki
Somebody for sure is going to get stabbed in the back, and i think the game will explore whether this will be Kratos or the norse Gods.
It would be my pleasure to use the boy as a punching bag, as Kratos once did with
Zeus

You clearly don't know anything about Norse mythology (not that I'm an expert) and even at the end of GoW 2018, during the scene with the murals, Kratos basically says it's Atreus' story.

That may be true, but at this point I don't really care. GoW 2018 was a good looking game but in the essence not my GoW anymore.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Will he beat Kratos to death with a golf club after Kratos shuns him for coming out as a trans Elder God? If not, no sale.

If another great series turns into woke PC toilet trash, i will not be happy.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I definitely imagine us battling against Kratos as a final boss, at least eventually in this series, just like we fought Aries as the final boss of the first God of War game.

Faithless83

Banned

Well, not a fan if it takes up a fair amount of gameplay. Not that Atreus isn't interesting, just to me Kratos is the god of war, old trilogy or the new ones. The can make individual game/DLC for Atreus for all I care.

I have a feeling they should have rather concrete story outlines for the sequels, based on the secret ending and the murals, so hopefully they don't really need to " look to The Last of Us 2 for more inspiration" story wise.
No one, absolutely no one should look at TLOU2 for inspiration, unless is "What you shouldn't do story wise".

yurinka

I want Kratos to continue being the main character. Don't kill him and replace him with Atreus as main character. Kratos is super charismatic, Atreus doesn't have any charisma at all.

What they did with Joel in TLOU2 and replace him with Abby was a big mistake. To replace Nate an Sully with Chloe and Nadine was a big mistake.

To introduce a support new playable character for smaller parts of the game is ok, if the super charismatic character is still there in the main part of the game to carry the wheight of the game. But if you are completely going to replace a main character, make sure the new character has more or at least the same charisma than the previous one. Abby and the kid didn't have the same charisma level than Ellie and Joel. Chloe an Nadine didn't have the same charisma level than Nate and Sully.

Same happens if they try mimic Ellie's switch from TLOU1 to TLOU2 with Atreus. In TLOU1 Ellie was more of a support character, but she was super charismatic, so feels ok for her to give her more protagonism on Left Behind and TLOU2. Atreus wasn't charismatic at all in GoW so to give him more protagonism in GoWR wouldn't feel ok specially if it means to kill Kratos and remove him as the lead character.

To have a playable Atreus for a small part of the game while Kratos gets the main part of the game and doesn't get killed would be ok. To control both Kratos and Atreus switching from a character to another during gameplay by pressing a button while the IA control the other one would be ok. To kill Kratos -specially early in the game- and make Atreus the main character of the game would be a huge mistake that would create a lot of outrage and would damage the IP as happened with TLOU2. And well, the outrage may be even bigger if they make Atreus a LGTB character only to fill tokenism quota.

I may be wrong but I think taht in the Norse mithology the huge serpent is the son of Lokis/Atreus, not his father.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I really hope not.

I found Atreus to be annoying AF. That and he is mainly a ranged fighter.

The combat was so good in the last game because you could combine melee attacks from Kratos and ranged attacks from Atreus. The combat was incredible! If it's not broke don't try to fix it!
Right, you basically already could play as him in combat.

If they mean narrative wise, it may work but who knows.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Will he beat Kratos to death with a golf club after Kratos shuns him for coming out as a trans Elder God? If not, no sale.

If another great series turns into woke PC toilet trash, i will not be happy.
you think joel died because he came out as trans?

your post makes no sense and is fucking stupid. you weirdos have no idea what woke even means. and these game stories clearly go way over your heads.

cormack12

Gold Member
I want Kratos to continue being the main character. Don't kill him and replace him with Atreus as main character. Kratos is super charismatic, Atreus doesn't have any charisma at all.

What they did with Joel in TLOU2 and replace him with Abby was a big mistake. To replace Nate an Sully with Chloe and Nadine was a big mistake.

To introduce a support new playable character for smaller parts of the game is ok, if the super charismatic character is still there in the main part of the game to carry the wheight of the game. But if you are completely going to replace a main character, make sure the new character has more or at least the same charisma than the previous one. Abby and the kid didn't have the same charisma level than Ellie and Joel. Chloe an Nadine didn't have the same charisma level than Nate and Sully.

Same happens if they try mimic Ellie's switch from TLOU1 to TLOU2 with Atreus. In TLOU1 Ellie was more of a support character, but she was super charismatic, so feels ok for her to give her more protagonism on Left Behind and TLOU2. Atreus wasn't charismatic at all in GoW so to give him more protagonism in GoWR wouldn't feel ok specially if it means to kill Kratos and remove him as the lead character.

To have a playable Atreus for a small part of the game while Kratos gets the main part of the game and doesn't get killed would be ok. To control both Kratos and Atreus switching from a character to another during gameplay by pressing a button while the IA control the other one would be ok. To kill Kratos -specially early in the game- and make Atreus the main character of the game would be a huge mistake that would create a lot of outrage and would damage the IP as happened with TLOU2. And well, the outrage may be even bigger if they make Atreus a LGTB character only to fill tokenism quota.

Dunno about that last part lol, but yeah I don't think anyone can really replace Kratos as the main playable character. The only reason I gave the reboot PoV perspective a go was because of Kratos really. And it largely succeeded but had real issues as well. See how they improve on the sequel.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

your post makes no sense and is fucking stupid. you weirdos have no idea what woke even means. and these game stories clearly go way over your heads.

Not at all Karen, settle down. I was making something up that happens in the GOW world. And the story didn't go over my head, it was pure garbage, just like the game.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

Not really excusing that post, but you definitely misinterpreted what was written.

--------------------------------------------------

I could totally see Atreus getting the spotlight, if they can give us a game where he has a lot of character growth and a good reason to rage against the Gods, I'd even be down for it. TLOUII sucked because it was out of nowhere when it came to some of the story elements and characters were doing way out-of-character things for the sake of shock-value.

God of War would be a bit weird without Kratos, but I could see it working if Sony were willing to let SSM put the work in to make a transition seem natural.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I do wonder what they will do with God of War 2 to piss off people.

I could see Faye becoming a bigger character, maybe even a new main character somehow. That or Atreus ends up being gay or something. I look forward to the twitter meltdowns regardless.

THEAP99

Banned
Considering most if not all of Sony first party copied the last of us, I would not be surprised if the rest copy tlou2. Neil is just sets the brilliant blueprint but the rest of the studios can't replicate it as good. We'll see about this

Interfectum

I mean, I think we can all agree the next God of War probably won't be playing Kratos 100% of the time, right? There will be a twist.

yurinka

The game constantly talking about sons killing their fathers. Cycle of Violence.
God-of-War.jpg
This doesnt reflect so well for Kratos long term health.

He is destined to kill his father.
Nah, in this drawing they clearly drank too much beer, Kratos got asleep and Atreus is puking :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Did Loki kill his father Fárbauti in the norse mythology?

And well, even if Kratos ends dying, as I remember he already 'died' once or twice in previous games and he kept coming back, I may be wrong but as I remember he ever came back from hell.

Honestly thought that God of War (PS4) was going to do that already. The initial reveal gameplay trailer had Atreus gaining XP from fighting as well and thought we were going to get a MGS2 switcheroo

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
could you imagine if they did that? cory barlog will go from respected to hated in an instant and jim ryan would be found sleeping with the fishes.
I don't know. Druckmann still has a solid fan base.

People has an opinion until their franchise tells otherwise.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Im fine with this, could be a situation they lose track and separated from each other and I assume the game may pick up a little in the distant future so Atreus may be more of a teen which will be great for his character development, as a god etc.

I think they should bring Abby as a boss in the next God of War, all Sony games are secretly in the same world.... You'll be able to quick travel with your GT cars and you'll kill infected dinosaur zombie robots while you jump through portals.

Last edited:

Mabdia

Barlog knows what he is doing. I have 100% faith in his and Santamonica's abilities to create another masterpiece.
Well... I used to think the same thing about Neil and ND... and then ND released tlou2...

So... if you say anything about the tlou2 and any game that I care, to me it looks bad.

I don't know. Druckmann still has a solid fan base.

People has an opinion until their franchise tells otherwise.

sure but the guy was being straight up idolised before last of us part 2. now all people will remember when his name is mentoned is everything that went down and how he screwed up the last of us.

shubik

Well... I used to think the same thing about Neil and ND... and then ND released tlou2...

So... if you say anything about the tlou2 and any game that I care, to me it looks bad.

Loved The last of us 2 so I guess our personal preferences are different.

Top Bottom