• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Moose

The fuck you pay me for cross saves from Sony is going to make it to where I won't be done with GoW before the sequel hits. I had to restart on PS5 despite being past the part where you get the old weapons on PS4. Fml
Got PS+?
No PS+?

Option 3: Transfer your PS4 save data to PS5 via USB​

Don’t have PS Plus? You can transfer PS4 save data to PS5 via USB. Connect a USB storage device to your PS4 and go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage > Copy to USB Storage Device. Select the save file you’d like to copy, and you can transfer it to the USB drive.

Once that’s done, unplug the USB from the PS4 and plug it into the PS5. Go to Settings > Saved Data and Game/App Settings, then select Saved Data (PS4) > USB Drive. You’ll then be presented with the option to Copy to Console Storage.

Ulysses 31

The risk of burn is very high unless you really fall absolutely in love with the game (like i 'm doing mycthird run on the game to get familiar with the combat system again but gow was my number 2 game of the past gen), not gow faults, nobody should play 2 games from the same franchise back to back, i love yakuza games but i can't play 2 yakuza games one after the other.

Play the first one and then buy ragnarock with a discount.
Wasn't really asking for myself. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Already played through GoW (2018) on Give Me God of War and apathy towards the story started setting in during the last quarter. Atreus is annoying and Freya is dumb for wanting to avenge her lunatic son.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Wasn't really asking for myself. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Already played through GoW (2018) on Give Me God of War and apathy towards the story started setting in during the last quarter. Atreus is annoying and Freya is dumb for wanting to avenge her lunatic son.
I bet Freya is probably gonna be a small part of the story in ragnarock.

They have to close 2 games in 1, there is no time (nor hype) for her stupid revenge that nothing has to do with odin, thor or the ragnarock.

I'm gonna be disappointed if they waste more than 1-2 hours to close her chapter.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yo Elder Legend Elder Legend i wanted to ask you 2 things:

Does the game tells you what level of power is needed for a main story mission? because i don't wanna end like the first one where i did a lot fo secondary stuff and the campaign was super easy because enemies were like 1-2 level below me.

Are the rpg mechanics more in-depth this time? devs spoke about how making different builds was more significant this time. (be vague, i don't want spoilers)

Yo Elder Legend Elder Legend i wanted to ask you 2 things:

Does the game tells you what level of power is needed for a main story mission? because i don't wanna end like the first one where i did a lot fo secondary stuff and the campaign was super easy because enemies were like 1-2 level below me.

Are the rpg mechanics more in-depth this time? devs spoke about how making different builds was more significant this time. (be vague, i don't want spoilers)

I played through the game bum-rush the second time on Give Me God of War and didn't really have that many issues going through it. Some bosses were challenging for sure though, particularly the 3rd to last boss.

No it doesn't really tell you what level you need for main quest. Second time I skipped optional content and started doing it after beating the main boss. I think I was level 5 or 6 when I finished the main questline.

Yes, there is more RPG now. I won't go into details, but you'll see for yourself. There is an armor set that I got last night doing optional stuff and the new build is showing differences already.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I played through the game bum-rush the second time on Give Me God of War and didn't really have that many issues going through it. Some bosses were challenging for sure though, particularly the 3rd to last boss.

No it doesn't really tell you what level you need for main quest. Second time I skipped optional content and started doing it after beating the main boss. I think I was level 5 or 6 when I finished the main questline.

Yes, there is more RPG now. I won't go into details, but you'll see for yourself. There is an armor set that I got last night doing optional stuff and the new build is showing differences already.
I'm gonna start directly at max difficulty so i expect some challenge, but i have to be carefull on not being too OP for doing to many sidequest.

I'm kinda unhappy that they made gimme the god of war easier this time (their words not mine), i was ok with an unfair challenge tbh, it make doing sidestuff more significant and less risk of being OP.

I'm gonna start directly at max difficulty so i expect some challenge, but i have to be carefull on not being too OP for doing to many sidequest.

I'm kinda unhappy that they made gimme the god of war easier this time (their words not mine), i was ok with an unfair challenge tbh, it make doing sidestuff more significant and less risk of being OP.
Well you'll still get 1 shot by newbie enemies unless you know your shit lol.

The beginning parts are easy as long as you are able to dodge shit quick. However, the later combination of enemies is when it gets really tricky.

Last edited:
How good you are with action games? because maybe you are just super good and i'm getting worried over nothing.
I am good enough to 0 damage every boss without getting hit on hardest difficulty. So take that as you will. It started with Dark Souls for me though.

I did 2 optional bosses last night, those bosses will be a pain even in regular difficulties. A lot of fights have "duo" bosses. 2 life bars and I am trying to avoid shit from both. Crazy difficult, but a ton of fun when you get the pattern down.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

"We pride ourselves on fair and honest reviews that centre around a reviewer’s experience with a title"
Gave Bloodborne 75 and Bleeding Edge 80. :goog_rolleyes:

Aint these the guys that gave every playstation exclusive a low score while giving every xbox exclusive an inflated higher score than everybody else? I'm sure someone posted a list once an it looked suspect as hell! How did they even get on Metacritic?

I mean, most reviewers get their ass kicked by Bloodborne and get salty. 75 is generous for a dude who didn't make it out of the first area with the burning werewolf lol
It could be like that. But i don't think it's the case here. Look at the image i just posted.
Sony game always has much lower score than Metacritic and Xbox game always has higher than Metacritic.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Well, to be honest, the game didn't really end, I was like wtf, it's over? (Still amazing and 9.5/10 but felt unfinished.....)
Felt the same but the final reveal kind of left me with alot of questions and excitement for sequel.

Saw someone saying it in a review, this is more like a continuation of the saga than a sequel.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, to be honest, the game didn't really end, I was like wtf, it's over? (Still amazing and 9.5/10 but felt unfinished.....)
Felt the same but the final reveal kind of left me with alot of questions and excitement for sequel.

Saw someone saying it in a review, this is more like a continuation of the saga than a sequel.
This is no different than how God of War 2 ended in Olympus tower before his starts the fight with Zeus and God of War 3 starts exactly point where God of War 2 ended but it doesn’t make the 2nd game unfinished. This just how sequels with continuous stories are.

You guys thinking of how .hack series divided in multiple volumes which you can transfer your save data from last volume.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is no different than how God of War 2 ended in Olympus tower before his starts the fight with Zeus and God of War 3 starts exactly point where God of War 2 ended but it doesn’t make the 2nd game unfinished. This just how sequels with continuous stories are.

You guys thinking of how .hack series divided in multiple volumes which you can transfer your save data from last volume.

I dont think it was just that though, it was kind of presenting this sort of open world to you and saying have fun but then suddenly saying it's over, so it felt different somehow.

Gamerguy84

But it did end. The goal was spreading Fayes ashes from the highest peak in the realms.

If you went home after the new game started for a brief second.

Last edited:

zkorejo

But it did end. The goal was spreading Fayes ashes from the highest peak in the realms.

If you went home after the new game started for a brief second.
True. But as we progressed the game got a whole lot bigger than Faye's ashes. Left us with more questions than answers and that's not a bad thing necessarily.

Boss Man

Is this game more linear than God of War (2018) or is it only like this in the beginning hours?

Feels like the same game but with more hand holding and more QTEs (which are also even less engaging than last time) so far. Should I play on a harder difficulty than the default setting?

A slightly worse God of War (2018) is still not bad though.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Is this game more linear than God of War (2018) or is it only like this in the beginning hours?

Feels like the same game but with more hand holding and more QTEs (which are also even less engaging than last time) so far. Should I play on a harder difficulty than the default setting?

A slightly worse God of War (2018) is still not bad though.
Jesus Christ.

Boss Man

Jesus Christ.
All praise belongs to him.

Does God of War: Ragnarok eventually match the first game or is it a more linear/easier game by design? What difficulty are you playing on? I platinumed the first game but can’t recall if that involved playing on the hardest difficulty.

Last edited:

Markio128

All praise belongs to him.

Does God of War: Ragnarok eventually match the first game or is it a more linear/easier game by design? What difficulty are you playing on? I platinumed the first game but can’t recall if that involved playing on the hardest difficulty.
Why don’t you try playing the fucking thing and then you can answer your own questions.

Boss Man

He legitimately gives a constructive criticism and you think he's overreacting lol. You're acting like when people trashed game of thrones when it's one of the top shows of all time.

I’m assuming the game probably just starts slow since the user reviews on metacritic are positive. Maybe God of War (2018) started slow too but didn’t feel that way since it was a brand new setting whereas Ragnarok starts in the exact same location and even with a similar theme
(train boy, loved one dies, someone comes knocking)

Top Bottom