• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mikey Jr.

I was planning on buying this physical so I can resell later. To recoup some money, not out of spite. Just need money right now.

Bu t I can see how much time, resources, love, and budget went into this game. I'll buy it digital, just to reward them.

Probably dumb of me.

j0hnnix

Torn between this and Sonic Frontiers. I don't know whats wrong with me lol
Sonic Frontiers is the best choice. GoW:Rag is just a ps4 dlc.

I Choose Violence GIF

Sarcasm at its best

Last edited:

saintjules

Just realized Christopher Judge was in House Party 2. I can see why they chose him for Kratos lol

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I have first game question since I don't remember.
Enemies have levels and you have levels...
I remember that you do NO damage to enemies like 2 levels above you... but then all you need to do is upgrade armor and shoulder pads and crap gear to the same level, right?
And suddenly you do enough damage, just like that?
Or do you upgrade weapon damage I don't think so....
What I am saying, You can't ignore side quest gear because you might be under leveled artificially

again. First game question here

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have first game question since I don't remember.
Enemies have levels and you have levels...
I remember that you do NO damage to enemies like 2 levels above you... but then all you need to do is upgrade armor and shoulder pads and crap gear to the same level, right?
And suddenly you do enough damage, just like that?
Or do you upgrade weapon damage I don't think so....
What I am saying, You can't ignore side quest gear because you might be under leveled artificially

again. First game question here
you have to upgrade both. if you are on the same level as the enemies, they will appear as green. if the enemy is one level above your level, they would appear as blue. 2 levels above is purple. When fighting valkyries, its very important to keep them in blue because purple makes them very tanky.

Upgrading your weapons to level 9 (max level) is just as important is upgrading your armor, trinkets and equipping max level perks).

I hope they changed that system somewhat because a lot of times i was using gear i didnt want to use because i just wanted to hit level 9.

rofif

Banned
you have to upgrade both. if you are on the same level as the enemies, they will appear as green. if the enemy is one level above your level, they would appear as blue. 2 levels above is purple. When fighting valkyries, its very important to keep them in blue because purple makes them very tanky.

Upgrading your weapons to level 9 (max level) is just as important is upgrading your armor, trinkets and equipping max level perks).

I hope they changed that system somewhat because a lot of times i was using gear i didnt want to use because i just wanted to hit level 9.
I remember it's like destiny light level.
But You actually have to upgrade weapon handle too? It is it enough that you are just the same level and artificially you take less damage and they take more ?
I replayed this in January on balanced and had no problems since I gathered a lot of gear... while in 2018 I rushed a bit and had to lower difficulty later on.

I understand that they wanted to have some leveling system that is not Kratos based because he is a god... so it's all about gear level. But it still feels very artificial fighting levlel 6 guy as level4 and doing like almost no damage

Reactions: KO7

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I remember it's like destiny light level.
But You actually have to upgrade weapon handle too? It is it enough that you are just the same level and artificially you take less damage and they take more ?
I replayed this in January on balanced and had no problems since I gathered a lot of gear... while in 2018 I rushed a bit and had to lower difficulty later on.

I understand that they wanted to have some leveling system that is not Kratos based because he is a god... so it's all about gear level. But it still feels very artificial fighting levlel 6 guy as level4 and doing like almost no damage
yeah, weapon handles had a light level that contributes to your light level.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
In Neogaf's opinion. Is it a real sequel or is it more like an Expansion?

I saw the videos but at least graphically it is almost the same on ps4 as it is on ps5...

The only difference is the 4k resolution and 60 fps.

There are enough trolls here already, but let me be another, although this is my real opinion:

God of War 2018 was a great game. But RDR2 was my GOTY that year, hands down

I will play GOW:R ASAP for sure, but the immense praise for GOW2018 and it having won GOTY has always left me feeling like I took crazy pills

I am convinced that GOW2018 won GOTY because gamer dads got to play out the ultimate father fantasy by playing as Kratos: Daddy Edition. Whereas I much prefer playing as lonely, perpetually single cowboy Arthur Morgan

Thanks for reading my blog

Vick

Gold Member
I get what you mean, but i am almost Level 2 at GMGOW right now and still killed every single enemy in the first portion of the lake and nearby regions, meaning lots of fights with multiple, Level 6 one-hit-kill enemies.
It all depends on you in the end.

rofif

Banned
I get what you mean, but i am almost Level 2 at GMGOW right now and still killed every single enemy in the first portion of the lake and nearby regions, meaning lots of fights with multiple, Level 6 one-hit-kill enemies.
It all depends on you in the end.
at least it can be done

Brigandier

As a hack'em slash fanatic, all Gow games are fun, even in gameplay, but ITS NOT DEEP. The original trilogy has more depth than 2018, what i saw about Ragnarok, looks a little better.

Try to Compare Dmc, Bayo and Ninja gaiden combat depth with Gow is laughable. Its like compare the ocean with a puddle.

You know, every single triple AAA when released its the same thing... EVERYTHING IS BETTER than ANY GAME ALREADY RELEASED.

Chill guys...If you want a deep combat, go play Sifu instead. Gow will never be recognized by gameplay Depth.
Good and simple gameplay, top Graphics, Story and brutal finishers that makes the series amazing.

I love Gow (older trilogy more), and i'll buy Ragnarok day one. But calm down, each game has its own merits, but not try to push every new released AAA as a perfect game.
Star Trek Lol GIF by HULU
GIF by HULU
Star Trek Lol GIF

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Let’s put it this way if you think this just “expansion” then people can say the same about any direct sequel, including Gravity Rush 2.

It is misunderstanding, I say this because I have more confidence in Neogaf, than in a video game analyst.

Been reading some pages and it genuinely makes me sad to see how all the warriors can’t just enjoy great games but need to hate on other games in some childish attempt to hype up their favorite.
GOW vs RDR2, HZD vs BOTW, and this year we’ve had HFW vs Elden Ring and now also GOWR vs Elden Ring.
There is no common sense to it. All are minimum 9/10 games. How about talking about them like that?
But isn't it why forums exists !? People will always fight because they need to belong on a team to make themselves feel special ! It's the nature of humans being ! I come on the forum and i rarely say anything i just sit back relax and enjoy mostly stupidity ! Just like watching a stupid reality drama show ! Hey ! After all it's just like their opinion ,man!

Mobilemofo

It's a PS4 game at base. Tarted up for the ps5 with bells and whistles, more fx, etc. It's looks fantastic but that's why they look so similar. The models are essentially the same..

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not impressed with how Fish Dude goes from giving his back to Kratos to being sitting facing towards him. Probably not an issue tho since I can imagine this not being a very common scenario.

That environment is pretty as fuck tho.

Reactions: Isa

gow3isben

Yo why did metacritic add the 100 from Wccftech review to the PS4 version giving it 1 review total and not the PS5 version? I have 0 idea how they do things. The review even states it played on ps5

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
For those who quote my post with laugh, i was expecting a single argument, but of course, nothing...So, i will not reply those quotes...I have nothing to say!

Keep smiling, it's good for health, but can't change facts.

Maybe some don't get it;

GOW can be recognized as a great game with GREAT gameplay.
I said especially about the combat. And no, GOW never was a reference of deep combat.

I didn't say any diatribe about the game in general, that's pretty clear.

Last edited:
As a hack'em slash fanatic, all Gow games are fun, even in gameplay, but ITS NOT DEEP. The original trilogy has more depth than 2018, what i saw about Ragnarok, looks a little better.
You are absolutely correct. The games have zero depth, but they never needed it. It was always about the spectacle. The visceral animations, gory kills, fantastical beasts, and gods that you slaughtered. If you wanted to get in-depth combat, you would go for character action games like DMC as you said.
You know, every single triple AAA when released its the same thing... EVERYTHING IS BETTER than ANY GAME ALREADY RELEASED.
However, when you say things like this - it comes across as you just wanting to tell people to stop being excited/hyped for a game. Let people have fun and be excited.

You are free to convince yourself of whatever makes you feel better, no matter how laughable that is. But hopefully one day you'll play the game yourself (or, if you suck with a controller, sit next to someone skillful doing it for you) and realize how blatantly false those statements are.

"Depth" doesn't mean pressing buttons in memorized order to see thousands of fonts unfold on screen..
Yes i played, and Dmc, bayo and ninja gaiden still has more depth in combat.

If u do the same and look some expert play the games i mentioned, its even more visible, so careful with your wishes for me, maybe can hurt your arguments even more.

I think you need to play more hack'em slash, fighting games and beat'em up.

Those who do, agree with me.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. The games have zero depth, but they never needed it. It was always about the spectacle. The visceral animations, gory kills, fantastical beasts, and gods that you slaughtered. If you wanted to get in-depth combat, you would go for character action games like DMC as you said.

However, when you say things like this - it comes across as you just wanting to tell people to stop being excited/hyped for a game. Let people have fun and be excited.
You have a point, but it's true isn't ? Lol

People can be hyped, im not the one who will stop a dude to be happy with a game release! Was just a conversation that went too far...!

Sorry if i offended people who are hyped for GOWR, im myself, cant wait to my copy arrive!

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Does Kratos go to Egypt

Really curious about this too and wonder if the end gives any hints at where things are headed.

I watched a recap video on YouTube a couple nights ago and the guy narrating it starts off with what goes on inbetween GoW 3 and 4 with what looks like comic book panels. Assuming it's cannon?

Anyway, there is an Egyptian God involved.

Brigandier

For those who quote my post with laugh, i was expecting a single argument, but of course, nothing...So, i will not reply those quotes...I have nothing to say!

Keep smiling, it's good for health, but can't change facts.

Maybe some don't get it;

I said especially about the combat. And no, GOW never was a reference of deep combat.

I didn't say any diatribe about the game in general, that's pretty clear.

I laughed at you because you put forward your opinion forcefully like they're gospel.

Then you go and mention "facts" and ruin any credibility your opinion may have had.

Your opinion isn't facts at all.

Can you people advise for some video review with zero spoilers?

So no story scenes with new characters or anything more than just kratos\little shit fighting enemies in the first area we already know from the trailers (the one with the humanoid lizards) or even just him fighting simple draughrs.

Try this.

Though again, be careful, I dunno what you consider spoiler.

Really curious about this too and wonder if the end gives any hints at where things are headed.

I watched a recap video on YouTube a couple nights ago and the guy narrating it starts off with what goes on inbetween GoW 3 and 4 with what looks like comic book panels. Assuming it's cannon?

Anyway, there is an Egyptian God involved.
Where god of war could be heading next:
r7z2q49c9sm71.jpg
These are some kind of south american trees called frailjones, apparently. There are also similar trees in north Africa. This is from one of the trailers. i bet the bifrost shits out kratos into another mythology at the end

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
You said the original trilogy had a deeper combat, and that comparing it to Ninja Gaiden, DMC and Bayonetta is like comparing a puddle to the ocean. What the hell did you expect? There's no other reaction to be had.

I apologize for the repetition, but you asked for arguments when these were posted already in this same Thread:

This video is only covering the core, basic combat systems (30% of it at best), and it's more than an hour long..

How can you expect a sane individual to share your opinion? I've been playing games for almost 30 years, if GoW 2018 combat is not deep then 99.9% of games ever created in history have literally NO COMBAT whatsoever.

Comparisons with the games you mentioned (ridiculous comparisons anyway as they're completely different) were made already by what's considered by some to be the best reviewer out there:

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels.
"
- SkillUp

The game combat goes so deep in fact it becomes a complete reflection of you as a player.. if you suck, combat sucks, but if you don't you can even have people question whether you hacked the game or not..

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

@ GodsBattle Yeah I’ve tried too, it’s difficult.

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

For how many combat systems the same can be said? You can put hundreds of hours into the game and still have no idea of what can be done with it..

It never was indeed. Until GoW 2018.

Here's another one.. zero depth..
The only logical explanation is that you never played the game, and think users like MasterDerico MasterDerico are the hardcore gamers stating bold truths against hordes of fanboys.
GoW 2018 has nothing to do with the original games, that description does not fit the game at all.

I think you need to play more hack'em slash, fighting games and beat'em up.

Those who do, agree with me.
This only shows, once again, that you can say the most blatantly, utterly false stuff on GAF and still have some people agree with it.
Might be worth to check the post history of said users though..

Last edited:
Top Bottom