• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

Tripolygon

Banned
No, I don’t.
Fuck yes you do. Everyone see movies based on actors, directors, writers etc. If you are human yes you have been influenced to buy something based on someone else's opinion. That is human nature and why companies spend millions to advertise. Do you not get excited when you see Marvel Logo, or Insomniac or Bethesda or your fav game developer, before a trailer starts? Do you not buy the latest AMD or Intel or Nvidia processors, are you not using a laptop from your favorite brand? Its all one in the same thing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Fuck yes you do. Everyone see movies based on actors, directors, writers etc. If you are human yes you have been influenced to buy something based on someone else's opinion. That is human nature and why companies spend millions to advertise. Do you not get excited when you see Marvel Logo, or Insomniac or Bethesda or your fav game developer, before a trailer starts? Do you not buy the latest AMD or Intel or Nvidia processors, are you not using a laptop from your favorite brand? Its all one in the same thing.
No man, I’m a cold-blooded serpent that consumes at random.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair, I dont when it comes to media.

When a game loads up, I try to press the buttons asap hoping it skips me to the main menu. I dont need to know or care a game is made by:

- Publisher X
- Studio Y
- Uses game engine Z

And when I watch movies, I cant wait for the beginning credits to finish. For TV series at home (Netflix) with skippable intros I skip those too.

I think the reported 40 hours plus length of this game is really starting to make sense now with this trailer.
I mean they've confirmed that the game covers the full nine realms and the first game primarily game us Midgard and in this trailer we saw Kratos look down on Svartalfheim where he meets the Dwarves and that alone looks to be the same if not bigger than the original game.

zGEnilO.png

Of course, it doesn't mean that we'll get full access to every one of the nine realms because that could well be too big. When I finished the first game I would have happily had more to play and explore but obviously it doesn't mean that over 40 hours is going to be better than the length of the last game because it's all about the quality of what you do with that space.
I do feel that it will be good to have more to explore in this game though with more hidden areas to find and maybe even extra bosses with unique unlocks. I don't always feel that a more open world is best and I'm sort of hoping for a far more linear and dark game with Wolverine that we had with Spider-Man. I don't fel that needs to have an open world but if it must, I really hope that it's not New York.

This guy has big brains.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The view distance seems highly improved in GOWR

PS4
E_MA8_sWUAE_ySt

PS4 Pro
E_MA98oXIAEusJh

PS5
image_god_of_war_ragnarok-43846-4831_0011.jpg
The fog in the first is a creative decision. You where never supposed to go there, so they could have made it look however they want.
The PS5 pic here is worth nothing if we can't go to the places pictured. If its just a vista to look at, color me not impressed. Imo, its going to look at same on PS4 (in 30fps and lower resolution).

Evilms

Banned
The fog in the first is a creative decision. You where never supposed to go there, so they could have made it look however they want.
The PS5 pic here is worth nothing if we can't go to the places pictured. If its just a vista to look at, color me not impressed. Imo, its going to look at same on PS4 (in 30fps and lower resolution).
sorry the draw distance is limited
godofwar_201804212257yppll.png

image_god_of_war_ragnarok-43846-4831_0011.jpg

ButchCat

I wonder if having a closer look at her that she will end up being Egyptian.The game will inevitably have big ties to Egypt and other cultures and she will possibly be the link

mLDnhkJ.jpg
Egyptian style arm band accessory, the Gold headdress. The beaded rocks necklace is very egyptian in style.

It most likely is I just wish her features were more Egyptian looking though.

The one thing Assassin's Creed Origins got sort of right with the main character and that was the likeness of Bayek.

Evilms

Banned
They could have put a picture with an infinite draw distance in there. You can’t go there. It’s tech trickery. Artistically you can’t have snowy mountains with nice weather in a GOW game.
what are you talking about? it's the shore of the 9 kingdoms of course you can go there

WhartoX

But it's not only about the skin, stop thinking so American-centric where skin color = race. We're talking about facial and bodily features here. It's not only her dark brown skin in the far north that is so off and doesn't make sense, it's also her sub-saharan African/Filipino features. It doesn't fit with how Norse European people would have imagined or depicted her back then - especially with how anthropomorphic Europeans in general conceived their deities. And like some other users have correctly pointed out, why is it always African blacks? This doesn't look like diversity. This seems like Pan-African nationalism. And if they DO want so much to portray sub-saharan African gods, why not go after the actual ones for a change instead of butchering other mythologies to make their sociopolitical points.
Whole thing seems spiteful the more you think about it.

I'll say though: Yet another originally redhead character sacrificed into California's selective Church of Woke altar. With always the same race supplanting them.

U Mad Reaction GIF

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
what are you talking about? it's the shore of the 9 kingdoms of course you can go there
You said draw distance is limited, I told you why that is (PS4 game / you can't stroll to the see, its a completely different asset made for this view). No one knows at this point if you can go to the places in the PS5 pic (from the place you view it).

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Several God of War: Ragnarok details were revealed at Sony's PlayStation showcase. Check out our breakdown of everything we know so far for the highly anticipated sequel. This includes info on characters, new worlds, combat, and where the story picks up following the events of the prequel.

Sony's PlayStation showcase got us up to speed on God of War: Ragnarok. Viewers were treated to gameplay and more following the original 30-second teaser from nearly a year ago. The showcase brought us details with the story, introduced new characters, and showed us new worlds along the way.

Taking place shortly after the events of the first, the trailer reveals that Ragnarok (the Norse mythological end of the world) is indeed coming. On their quest to prevent it, Kratos and Atreyus return to find Odin. While the trailer didn't feature the all-father this time, we did get a quick look at Thor. (played by Sons of Anarchy's Ryan Hurst)

The presentation ended with a developer interview where new director Eric Williams discussed how Santa Monica Studio likes to change directors when they can for a fresh take on the creative process. With the exception of previous director Cory Barlog-who directed God of War from 2018 as well as God of War 2 from 2007. God of War Ragnarok is slated to release in 2022.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Intro
00:20 - The Story So Far
03:27 - Combat
04:17 - The World
04:52 - Voice Cast
05:09 - Music
05:27 - New Director
06:12 - Platforms

Last edited:

Justin9mm

When a game loads up, I try to press the buttons asap hoping it skips me to the main menu. I dont need to know or care a game is made by:

- Publisher X
- Studio Y
- Uses game engine Z

And when I watch movies, I cant wait for the beginning credits to finish. For TV series at home (Netflix) with skippable intros I skip those too.
I agree, I'm the same but gaming being a passion and something I care about way more then movies and TV, I do care about the developer, publisher and engine. But I already know those things before I buy the game so no need to waste precious gaming time looking at those screens lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He's not wrong, Americans are fucking retarded when it comes to race especially when it comes to '' white people ''.
Generalizing people like that is like saying that all Asians are the same people.

Video games aren't '' very white ''.
They're '' very white AMERICAN ''.

And '' diversity '' always ends up just being about black Americans and no one else.
The world is about 33% East Indian and Chinese and you see hardly any in video games. Now if someone wants to say the vast majority of those people live half way around the world and arent big console markets, so money talks and dont bother making Indian/Chinese characters then fine. It's a marketing angle.

But for American made games, wheres all the Latino characters? They are probably 2x the Black community in US population, yet hardly any in gaming fiction.

Last edited:

KingT731

The world is about 33% East Indian and Chinese and you see hardly any in video games. Now if someone wants to say the vast majority of those people live half way around the world and arent big console markets, so money talks and dont bother making Indian/Chinese characters then fine. It's a marketing angle.

But for American made games, wheres all the Latino characters? They are probably 2x the Black community in US population, yet hardly any in gaming fiction.
It's an issue all around. In America you also have to factor in with Latino/Hispanic people that a lot of them identify as white. There's a lot that could be done also to be inclusive that isn't limited to the "obvious" things like skin color but culture etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's an issue all around. In America you also have to factor in with Latino/Hispanic people that a lot of them identify as white. There's a lot that could be done also to be inclusive that isn't limited to the "obvious" things like skin color but culture etc.
True, but the only time you really see Latinos characters stand out is in GTA games as street dude kinds of characters or maybe some shooter where there's drug cartels to kill off and the enemies are thuggish. Thats not to say there are never any main characters. One of the recent Gears characters is Latino, but in general almost none.

KingT731

True, but the only time you really see Latinos characters stand out is in GTA games as street dude kinds of characters or maybe some shooter where there's drug cartels to kill off and the enemies are thuggish. Thats not to say there are never any main characters. One of the recent Gears characters is Latino, but in general almost none.
Yeah the list is super limited. You got Rico from Just Cause that I can think off of the top of my head. Even more limited if you cut out the walking stereotypes etc. It's not good.

OZ9000

Banned
I think the reported 40 hours plus length of this game is really starting to make sense now with this trailer.
I mean they've confirmed that the game covers the full nine realms and the first game primarily game us Midgard and in this trailer we saw Kratos look down on Svartalfheim where he meets the Dwarves and that alone looks to be the same if not bigger than the original game.

zGEnilO.png

Of course, it doesn't mean that we'll get full access to every one of the nine realms because that could well be too big. When I finished the first game I would have happily had more to play and explore but obviously it doesn't mean that over 40 hours is going to be better than the length of the last game because it's all about the quality of what you do with that space.
I do feel that it will be good to have more to explore in this game though with more hidden areas to find and maybe even extra bosses with unique unlocks. I don't always feel that a more open world is best and I'm sort of hoping for a far more linear and dark game with Wolverine that we had with Spider-Man. I don't fel that needs to have an open world but if it must, I really hope that it's not New York.
More is not always better.

40 hours of depressed dad simulator sounds too fucking long.

I'd rather they stick to 20-25 hours of a good campaign, instead of one full to the brim with useless and shitty fetch quests and side missions.

YukiOnna

More is not always better.

40 hours of depressed dad simulator sounds too fucking long.

I'd rather they stick to 20-25 hours of a good campaign, instead of one full to the brim with useless and shitty fetch quests and side missions.
They were kind of done with depressing dad in the first game, they said it's focusing on a different aspect of their growth now. The trailer's tone paints the exact opposite of the tone of the original trilogy even with a more uplifting feel and goes out of its way to say its about saving people even.

The 40 Hours is probably including the side stuff like optional realms or Valkyrie equivalents for those who want to go lore hunting or explore.

Evilms

Banned
god-of-war-director.jpg

• Cory Barlog reaffirms that the story of Ragnarök will be centered again on the Kratos/Atreus relationship, they want to avoid going off in all directions as it was a bit the case in the first trilogy.
  • They are quite confident that they can finish the Nordic saga with this second opus, it was Cory who made the decision to end this mythology with Ragnarök.
  • The development time of the game is roughly similar to that of the first one which took 5 years to develop.
  • By the way, this is one of the reasons why they don't want to stretch the story over 15 years, hence the choice not to make it a trilogy.
  • After the release of the first game, it took the developers 2 to 3 months to come up with new ideas for the sequel. One of them was the Chaos Blades, which were only accessible halfway through the game, resulting in the grappling hook, chain pull, and crashing enemies to the ground in midair.
  • For the dog sled it was the idea of one of the developers who happened to sled in Canada or Alaska.
  • They also think that people will be very impressed when they see the final cast of NPCs, Enemies...
  • Eric Williams (the new director) says they are aware of the lack of variety in the bestiary and bosses in the first installment, which is pretty reassuring.
  • They try not to say too much about the importance of Odin in the game, for the moment it's hard to know if he will be a boss or just a background character.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

- Publisher X
- Studio Y
- Uses game engine Z

if you want there's extensions that automatically skips those.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jackson Crawford, a Norse mythology expert and media consultant for projects like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, is back on IGN! In this video, Jackson gives us the low-down on whether or not everybody's favorite god of thunder, Thor, in the latest God of War: Ragnarok trailer, is accurate to the legends and stories of years past.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sony and SIE Santa Monica Studio have been more generous with details on Ragnarok than most people would have anticipated. Thanks to a meaty reveal trailer and subsequent interviews and updates, we know quite a bit more about the game's story and gameplay than we'd have expected to know a year out from its launch.

We recently spoke about some of the most crucial of those details in a recent feature, but plenty more information has emerged since then that we'll be going over here.

KingDankKush

Neo Member
Curious if we can expect a 2022 release date for GoW: Ragnarok. If so, it'll probably be my game of the year. Expectations are high for this.

Top Bottom