• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

Personally I'm glad this is still cross-gen since I haven't bought a PS5 yet, and probably won't until at least another FROM exclusive forces me to. GOW looks good enough already, but it probably does suck to play at 30 FPS.

I do hope the teens won't be insufferable like they would be in real life. Atreus was already teetering on the edge in the last game, I don't want this to be more of the same family drama, but I fear it absolutely will be. I don't really want to play GOW for the family drama. It's just these days Sony exclusives especially have a hard on for this type of character story telling, and it tends to get tiresome and predictable. When will it be time to move on from making daddy-simulators Sony?

And also why is it literally only black people every time?
It's such a US-centric bullshit way of looking at '' diversity ''.
Other people exist too and diversity is about more than skin color, I think you'd have to be a complete moron to not see how transparent it all is.
It's very obvious that Americans are throwing black people into everything to score points.

The obvious answer is that this is an American entertainment product made mostly by Americans for Americans, and it reflects all the shit that comes with it, including token POC characters (I hear the actress is half Filipino, so two for the price of one) for representation/points scoring or however you prefer to see it. It's a pretty obvious addition given how things have been there lately, and how GOW lacks any "natural" way of including it in its setting. GOW has always been an "appropriation" of myths from elsewhere and filled with comfy American dialogue and story themes like American father/son issues reflective of the aging of the developers and their personal family life issues. Or before that when it was a bunch of young geeks making sweaty action games with muscles, monsters and tits. At the end of the day, it's Americans doing American things using a setting they yoinked from elsewhere to give a bit of exotic flair.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's just these days Sony exclusives especially have a hard on for this type of character story telling, and it tends to get tiresome and predictable. When will it be time to move on from making daddy-simulators Sony?
Nonsense. TLOU 2013 and GOW 2018 are the only two dad games sony first party has released. TLOU2 had no dad, and GOW2 wont come out till 2022. thats literally 3 games in 10 years.

Here are all the other non dad simulators from sony
- Ratchet
- Returnal
- Demon Souls
- Miles
- Ghost of Tsushima
- TLOU2
- Death Stranding
- Days Gone
- Spiderman
- Detroit
- Horizon
- Uncharted Lost Legacy
- The Last Guardian
- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet remake
- Until Dawn
- Bloodborne
- The Order
- Infamous Second Son
- Knack
- Killzone SF

Nonsense. TLOU 2013 and GOW 2018 are the only two dad games sony first party has released. TLOU2 had no dad, and GOW2 wont come out till 2022. thats literally 3 games in 10 years.

Here are all the other non dad simulators from sony
- Ratchet
- Returnal
- Demon Souls
- Miles
- Ghost of Tsushima
- TLOU2
- Death Stranding
- Days Gone
- Spiderman
- Detroit
- Horizon
- Uncharted Lost Legacy
- The Last Guardian
- Uncharted 4
- Ratchet remake
- Until Dawn
- Bloodborne
- The Order
- Infamous Second Son
- Knack
- Killzone SF
Agree! It's amazing how people create these strawman in there head that crumble at the tiniest bit of scrutiny.

Could also add Dreams, sackboy, concrete genie, astros playroom, destruction all stars lol I am not even trying.

Abhorash

Neo Member
Jotunn can literally shapeshift to whatever they want and can be anything from human like to snakes or wolves. Loki literally transforms into a female horse to have sex with a male horse and give birth to an eight legged horse. Nothing they do can be as ridiculous as actual norse myths so a Jotunn having black skin is pretty light
But it's not only about the skin, stop thinking so American-centric where skin color = race. We're talking about facial and bodily features here. It's not only her dark brown skin in the far north that is so off and doesn't make sense, it's also her sub-saharan African/Filipino features. It doesn't fit with how Norse European people would have imagined or depicted her back then - especially with how anthropomorphic Europeans in general conceived their deities. And like some other users have correctly pointed out, why is it always African blacks? This doesn't look like diversity. This seems like Pan-African nationalism. And if they DO want so much to portray sub-saharan African gods, why not go after the actual ones for a change instead of butchering other mythologies to make their sociopolitical points.
Whole thing seems spiteful the more you think about it.

I'll say though: Yet another originally redhead character sacrificed into California's selective Church of Woke altar. With always the same race supplanting them.

Yoboman

But it's not only about the skin, stop thinking so American-centric where skin color = race. We're talking about facial and bodily features here. It's not only her dark brown skin in the far north that is so off and doesn't make sense, it's also her sub-saharan African/Filipino features. It doesn't fit with how Norse European people would have imagined or depicted her back then - especially with how anthropomorphic Europeans in general conceived their deities. And like some other users have correctly pointed out, why is it always African blacks? This doesn't look like diversity. This seems like Pan-African nationalism. And if they DO want so much to portray sub-saharan African gods, why not go after the actual ones for a change instead of butchering other mythologies to make their sociopolitical points.

I'll say though: Yet another originally redhead character sacrificed into California's selective Church of Woke altar. With always the same race supplanting them.
I wonder if having a closer look at her that she will end up being Egyptian.The game will inevitably have big ties to Egypt and other cultures and she will possibly be the link

mLDnhkJ.jpg
Egyptian style arm band accessory, the Gold headdress. The beaded rocks necklace is very egyptian in style.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

God of War Ragnarok saw its first gameplay reveal trailer at the September 2021 PlayStation Showcase, and while it offered some answers, it also offered even more questions and hints about the sequel's story, characters, and world.

To help make sense of it all, IGN broke down some of our biggest takeaways and the details that struck us the most about Ragnarok's new trailer, including some of the story details it hints about, where it picks up from the end of God of War 2018, and how it furthers Kratos and Atreus' story.

I wonder if having a closer look at her that she will end up being Egyptian.The game will inevitably have big ties to Egypt and other cultures and she will possibly be the link

mLDnhkJ.jpg
Egyptian style arm band accessory, the Gold headdress. The beaded rocks necklace is very egyptian in style.

Zooming in on the necklace.

images

Definitely a snake.

Definitely interesting the role that snakes play in Egyptian mythology.

Edit: Also noticed there's a snake on that belt thing around her waist.

Last edited:

Shmunter

This black girl in norse mythology is weak…unless there is a story arc explaining the geographic disparity. Man, these losers always pull up the racism card when people basically feel it detracts from the mythology.

Mythology is cultural and should reflect that culture, despite being mythical. If you take all the worlds mythology and homogenise it to be a modern take of multiculturalism- you actually kill off what makes the world unique.

Toons

Banned
This black girl in norse mythology is weak…unless there is a story arc explaining the geographic disparity. Man, these losers always pull up the racism card when people basically feel it detracts from the mythology.

Mythology is cultural and should reflect that culture, despite being mythical. If you take all the worlds mythology and homogenise it to be a modern take of multiculturalism- you actually kill off what makes the world unique.

Kratos and this franchise have completely crapped this mythology since day 1. Thats essentially a selling point at this point.

This is a non issue. And having a bunch of white people wasn't what made it unique either, in fact virtually every adaptation has that.... its the changes that were implemented to both the story and characters that make it interesting and memorable.

Lets be honest, GoW Ragnarok is a PS4 game through and through. It should release as a PS4 game case only and no one would have a single issue with that. Pop it in your PS5 and you get some upgrades (like what PS4 Pro users get for example Tomb raider games give resolution and fps options). Same as the original GoW2 released almost a year after PS3 debut, it came out for the PS2, not the PS3.

Thats what they should have done here and then in 2 years put out a "directors cut/remastered version" for PS5. Now people are thinking this is a PS5 title also playable on a PS4. The game is exact same, they literally continued with the same assets after the first game was done (remember there were 3-4 unavailable portals in the traversal room which will now be open for sure). If this was advertised as a PS4 game I don't think people would cause such a big fuss about it.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

If this was advertised as a PS4 game I don't think people would cause such a big fuss about it.
I am curious: Where else has the graphics "controversy" blown up? Because none of the mainstream videos for the trailer have even come close to mentioning it nor is the reception reflecting it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you bringing up race, it's the modern age so you'll have to get used to any form of media (games, movies, tv ads, tv reporters) being skewed a lot lately to minorities, especially Black culture. Just got to accept it. One part thats the trend. One part a lot of video games are made in the US.

It's not a blanket wave for minorities either. Chinese and Indian people are approximately 33% of the worlds population, yet you see hardly any in video games.

Also, despite some games being based on myths and legends. Those kinds of things are still fictional. So they can be changed to whatever a writer wants it to be. It's no different than a game based on Aztecs or African kingdoms and having some White dudes come by adventuring by boat. So technically, even in fiction it can happen. You just got to make a logical story why.

I am curious: Where else has the graphics "controversy" blown up? Because none of the mainstream videos for the trailer have even come close to mentioning it nor is the reception reflecting it.

Well people saying it looks exactly the same as the PS4 version (which it does) and even Digital Foundry mentioning ...yeah it looks like nothing was changed. No one is saying its a bad looking game but the reason people think thisd way is because this was thought of being a PS5 title and now is advertised as both but in reality, it's a straight up PS4 game. Like I said, you can get a resolution bump on Tomb raider games if you have the Pro instead of the base PS4. And even DF with their digital peeping cant tell the difference what here is PS5 worthy. The assets, the animations, even the scope of the game is the same.

LMJ

“Me don’t like black skinned people in my completely made up fantasy game” is just some balls out racism energy and no mistake 🤣

Ye. I mean they dont mind having dearves,elves and all kind of monsters but having black or color character is huge problem to some. Smh

Yes indeed, clearly it points at deep seated racism as opposed to a different opinion... Shun them SHUN

shun adam ruins GIF by truTV

or perhaps you're just jumping to an easy conclusion that requires no real forethought on your part instead ;)

I would agree, but this is also a very different Norse mythology than the ACTUAL one. Loki is the son of the Greek god of War, clearly this is the work of an adaptation and thus a little artistic freedom is allowed.

Looks more like an expansion pack given the same weapons and mechanics and everything else.

Eh I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet, clearly there are a number of elements we don't know yet, but also some new things we can clearly see

Are we on the constant run from Freya?
We can clearly see the combat is being increased in scale and scope with mobility becoming much more varied
Far larger enemy variety
The new world actually looks populated with people walking around (as seen in the boat ride scene)
New merchants?
The first game hid the blades of chaos in their ads, wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing here

Oh and lastly there has been a CLEAR increase in graphical capability, but I expect as much from a sequel to a game as beautiful as GOW

Also, despite some games being based on myths and legends. Those kinds of things are still fictional. So they can be changed to whatever a writer wants it to be. It's no different than a game based on Aztecs or African kingdoms and having some White dudes come by adventuring by boat. So technically, even in fiction it can happen. You just got to make a logical story why.

But it is normal to have some white dudes roaming Africa or South America considering the history of naval travel and conquering of territories. I mean its in history books along with the colonization of countries. Lets stay on Norse mythology, while yes its fictional, the region where its at isnt fictional. Its just fact, there weren't africans in that area at all ever (Scandinavia). Thast why the guy that made Kingdom Come: Deliverance got flack for not representing black ppl in the game but even he said fuck off, there werent black ppl at that period in time in Poland.

Then we get Resident Evil 5, which got attacked that most of your enemies were black in the game....a game centered in the dead center of Africa and an African village at that...how dare you Capcom make most enemies black, its racist! (facepalm)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But it is normal to have some white dudes roaming Africa considering the history of naval travel and conquering of territories. I mean its in history books along with the colonization of countries. Lets stay on Norse mythology, while yes its fictional, the region where its at isnt fictional. Its just fact, there weren't africans in that area at all ever (Scandinavia). Thast why the guy that made Kingdom Come: Deliverance got flack for not representing black ppl in the game but even he said fuck off, there werent black ppl at that period in time in Poland.

Then we get Resident Evil 5, which got attacked that most of your enemies were black in the game....a game centered in the dead center of Africa and an African village at that...how dare you Capcom make most enemies black, its racist! (facepalm)
I get it man. But its a sign of the times. Just got to get used to it.

It's like the trend to games with crazy characters with woke-ish hair and attitude, even though in real life there's hardly anyone like that when you walk down the street or at work.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
God there so pathetic in coming up with new ideas. They play it so safe. Insomniac really is the new crown jewel at Sony. Santa Monica studios really need to dunk there head in a tub of ice water and get slapped if they think what they have is anything other than a padded out retread of 2018.

Watching the trailer feels like ordering a number 5 from McDonald's. It's so by the numbers and unimaginative.

New weapons? Same locations, same animations so much just regurgitated from 2018 i hope this game bombs hard and they do a remake for ps5 only not this cross gen shit of the original trilogy with sex games.

Kratos deserves better, Santa Monica go back to work this game needs a serious graphical overhaul and much besides!!

Fuk u I will not pre-order this sjit will buy used or on discount

God I love an Internet hard man 😍

love & hip hop daddy GIF by VH1

Jaysen

Banned

Aww you’ll survive lil fella.

Now let’s see you get equally pissed about them getting pretty much everything else wrong about norse mythology. Or is that OK as long as all the poorly conceived characters look like you?

Shmunter

Aww you’ll survive lil fella.

Now let’s see you get equally pissed about them getting pretty much everything else wrong about norse mythology. Or is that OK as long as all the poorly conceived characters look like you?
Did you just Woke attack me?

Shmunter

Did you just go a full sentence without whining about woke shit? Oh wait, no, you didn’t.
Let’s see. Personal, condescending, baseless. A no life experience child who thinks they know better than everyone that ever existed or ever will.

Now go get mommy to make you a hot chocolate to take the edge of your triggering and rest up. Tomorrow is another day to spread your virtue!

My hype for this shot up once I learnt that Eric Williams was directing, looking forward to see what he'll deliver. (Not that being a good combat designer translates directly to being a good director.)

One of the new things shown in the trailer was how Kratos could now grapple to ledges with the chains as well as jump off an elevated ledge straight into an attack. Could be a small change or a spicy one depending on implementation.

Jaysen

Banned
Let’s see. Personal, condescending, baseless. A no life experience child who thinks they know better than everyone that ever existed or ever will.

Now go get mommy to make you a hot chocolate to take the edge of your triggering and rest up. Tomorrow is another day to spread your virtue!
boop!

Jesus, cyberpunk first and now even gow...why putting fucking youtubers and influencers as voice actors...did they listened to analah performance in cyberpunk? She was hilariously bad...
Tbf to Yong voice acting is sometthing he's passionate about. He's been doing it for a good few years now

Last edited:

Oberstein

I'm OK with this choice if only they would drop the cultural appropriation shit. Because it can't work only one way, right. But it's true that if they wanted diversity at all costs (as a European, I admit that the whole race thing in America is taking on grotesque proportions), they might as well take an ethnicity close to the Scandinavians.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Or its simply a fan excited to be a part of one of his favorite game even though its just a small role.
Yeah definitely mate just like how he got given a Cyberpunk gaming chair and a 3080 by CDPR and then in his preview of Cyberpunk he completely lavished it with over the top praise and basically said it meets all hype and is the game of the generation. I only know about this little arsehole because Griffin Gaming regularly rips him to shreds.

Tripolygon

Banned
Yeah definitely mate just like how he got given a Cyberpunk gaming chair and a 3080 by CDPR and then in his preview of Cyberpunk he completely lavished it with over the top praise and basically said it meets all hype and is the game of the generation. I only know about this little arsehole because Griffin Gaming regularly rips him to shreds.
Ok? Who gives a shit? Apparently he is a voice actor getting paid to voice grunt characters so he is excited to share with his fans. News at 11. Look one post above yours all those actors sharing on twitter being excited about their roles. Cyberpunk on PC is a better game than Cyberpunk on consoles which is where majority of the issues are. CDPR only gave reviewers PC copy to review and actively tried to hide the state of the console version. Why I by no means agree that it lives up to the hype, I bought it for cheap and I just can't get past the first hour of the game, I can see the promise that was intended. Hopefully they get a chance to fix it with the current gen release.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ok? Who gives a shit? Apparently he is a voice actor getting paid to voice grunt characters so he is excited to share with his fans. News at 11. Look one post above yours all those actors sharing on twitter being excited about their roles.
Actors is cool, I have a problem with YouTube ‘influencers’ getting cosy with companies and taking back handlers because they peddle shit to little kids, such as ‘buy Cyberpunk, it’s amazing’. You don’t give a shit? Fine. Don’t tell me I can’t though.

For those of you bringing up race, it's the modern age so you'll have to get used to any form of media (games, movies, tv ads, tv reporters) being skewed a lot lately to minorities, especially Black culture. Just got to accept it. One part thats the trend. One part a lot of video games are made in the US.

It's not a blanket wave for minorities either. Chinese and Indian people are approximately 33% of the worlds population, yet you see hardly any in video games.

You would if there were more game publishers and developers in China and India that made their own games instead of just taking outsourced stuff from western developers.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Actors is cool, I have a problem with YouTube ‘influencers’ getting cosy with companies and taking back handlers because they peddle shit to little kids, such as ‘buy Cyberpunk, it’s amazing’. You don’t give a shit? Fine. Don’t tell me I can’t though.
Actors are influencers, they have YouTube, instagram, twitter etc. Brea Larson has a YouTube channel where she plays games and does other things. Do you see movies based on who is in it? Then you have been influenced. Youtube is just another form of entertainment and many actors have been discovered from YouTube. You are free to give a shit but what exactly are you giving a shit about and is it worth it?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Actors are influencers, they have YouTube, instagram, twitter etc. Brea Larson has a YouTube channel where she plays games and does other things. Do you see movies based on who is in it? Then you have been influenced. Youtube is just another form of entertainment and many actors have been discovered from YouTube. You are free to give a shit but what exactly are you giving a shit about and is it worth it?
No, I don’t.

Top Bottom