• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

Evilms

Banned
How the fuck anyone can think Forpsoken looks better than GOWR kind of sums up this thread.

I literally think you'd have to be impaired.
IvB20q6.gif

Forpsoken is beautiful but mostly empty from what we have seen

giphy.gif

Where GOWR is a beautiful world, full and well detailed for a cross gen game

GymWolf

Yeah maybe pick some other gifs, it's not like the trailer is only composed by barren mountains...

The powers and magic looks very cool and the traversal is well animated and fast.

Hunnybun

IvB20q6.gif

Forpsoken is beautiful but mostly empty from what we have seen

giphy.gif

Where GOWR is a beautiful world, full and well detailed for a cross gen game

Forspoken there looks like an average last gen game to me. Even that might be being generous.

Even the draw distance - which has generally seen huge gains in next gen games - looks poor there, with severe reductions in detail and quality well before the horizon.

Meanwhile that particular shot of GOWR looks like CG. It's not even CLOSE lol.

Hunnybun

Yeah maybe pick some other gifs, it's not like the trailer is only composed by barren mountains...

The powers and magic looks very cool and the traversal is well animated and fast.

I think the only part of that trailer that looked good was the scene with grassy plain and the big halo like structure in the background.

The foliage looked really good and just generally it was well lit etc, looked on par with the reveal footage.

Pretty much everything else looked rough or downright lousy. The character models, the wider shots like that gif, the awful looking town area, the fight against the dragon, all looked a mess.

GymWolf

I think the only part of that trailer that looked good was the scene with grassy plain and the big halo like structure in the background.

The foliage looked really good and just generally it was well lit etc, looked on par with the reveal footage.

Pretty much everything else looked rough or downright lousy. The character models, the wider shots like that gif, the awful looking town area, the fight against the dragon, all looked a mess.
I think the magic looked pretty cool and the traversal was fast and well animated (shit i repeated myself)

Also there is something that i can pin point, maybe the light system?

And the general texture work was pretty great, i know it was mostly rocks but they looked pretty detailed.

Strangely enough i didn't watched the 4k trailer for this one, i need to do that for a better analysis.

I think it's mostly a matter of not having a forspoken 1 on ps4 to do a comparison like we do with gow ragnarock, this may be trick some of us into thinking that this looks more nextgen, i'm open to change my idea when we are gonna see more stuff from both games.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I think the magic looked pretty cool and the traversal was fast and well animated (shit i repeated myself)

Also there is something that i can pin point, maybe the light system?

And the general texture work was pretty great, i know it was mostly rocks but they looked pretty detailed.

Strangely enough i didn't watched the 4k trailer for this one, i need to do that for a better analysis.

I think it's mostly a matter of not having a forspoken 1 on ps4 to do a comparison like we do with gow ragnarock, this may be trick some of us into thinking that this looks more nextgen, i'm open to change my idea when we are gonna see more stuff from both games.

Well yeah I think that is DEFINITELY a problem that GOWR is having, because a lot of things in the original already looked phenomenal even compared to other big PS4 games. And it seems like SSM have chosen to just build around those strong points and improve the weaker areas, which to me makes total sense, but I suppose makes less of an immediate impact on a lot of people.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Angrboda is indeed Jötunn. She's probably an avenue to learn more about Faye and the Giants. She is also the mother of Jörmungandr, Fenrir and Hel.
Yeah, I know. I was responding to the other guy's criticism of why there is a black girl in Scandinavia. Technically, she isn't Scandinavian; she is a Jotun. So literally a different species (not even human), which makes the criticism invalid.

Yeah, I know. I was responding to the other guy's criticism of why there is a black girl in Scandinavia. Technically, she isn't Scandinavian; she is a Jotun. So literally a different species (not even human), which makes the criticism invalid.
People are quick to point out only certain aspects that are not authentic/accurate to the mythology - but then won't apply that same line of thinking towards the entire the game; because they'll quickly realise, very little of what SSM are doing is remaining truthful, and it's not supposed to be, it's just a big budget game to designed to entertain people.

FunkMiller

Well hopefully it has a lot more content than an expansion pack. Would be kind of shitty if it's cut DLC repackaged as a full game.

It seems definitely like a game reusing all the same assets as the first one, the same way an expansion would, but wasn’t there a leak suggesting it’s 40 hours long?

It seems definitely like a game reusing all the same assets as the first one, the same way an expansion would, but wasn’t there a leak suggesting it’s 40 hours long?

Not having to develop so many new things could lead to a longer game. If true it would make sense if it's longer than the first one.

Not necessarily a bad thing because in the end it's the experience that counts.

KAL2006

Banned
I'm interested how they are going to make the gameplay not feel the same. Like will they make you upgrade the chains and axe all over again from the beginning. Will we see the same special moves from the weapons. If that's the case that would be boring. I think the best way to make this game feel fresh is to have Kratos have both his axe and chains with all the upgrades at the beginning. And it immediately gets taken away from him. You then defeat Thor and get the Hammer which you upgrade slowly from the beginning. Then get another new weapon which you also upgrade slowly from the beginning. Then around 70 percent of the game you get the Axe back fully powered up. Then around 80 percent completion you get the chains fully powered up. So by the end of the game you have 2 new weapons and 2 old weapons but majority of the game you play with new weapons to keep it fresh.

FunkMiller

Not having to develop so many new things could lead to a longer game. If true it would make sense if it's longer than the first one.

Not necessarily a bad thing because in the end it's the experience that counts.

Yep.

This game is definitely ‘more of the same but better’.

Which is great for the same console generation. Not so much for a new one.

GymWolf

Well yeah I think that is DEFINITELY a problem that GOWR is having, because a lot of things in the original already looked phenomenal even compared to other big PS4 games. And it seems like SSM have chosen to just build around those strong points and improve the weaker areas, which to me makes total sense, but I suppose makes less of an immediate impact on a lot of people.
The thing is, horizon is doing the same, it's not like it is a completely different game, but you can still notice the clear graphical upgrade.

Hunnybun

The thing is, horizon is doing the same, it's not like it is a completely different game, but you can still notice the clear graphical upgrade.

I wouldn't particularly disagree, but I think a confounding factor with Horizon is that they've actually made quite a big change to the art style, surprisingly. So it just sort of immediately looks different. The original was more or less photorealism but with more vivid colours etc, but this new one almost looks slightly cartoony. They've done more than just take the base game and increase the fidelity.

As to which actually looks better in an absolute sense? Yeah, perhaps Horizon. But imo it's a pretty close call and certainly doesn't justify the reaction we've had.

Yoboman

Blades = Fire.
Axe = Ice.
Hammer = Electricity.
Spear = Poison.

That what I think they might have them be, using each for specific enemies for highest damage, just like the first two in the previous game.
Id like if he had a weapon from each mythology

Earth based spear from Egypt
Wind and thunder samurai sword from Japan

Last edited:

Yoboman

The absence of Cory would be a good thing. Are you guys serious? God of war 2018 almost had zero gore and blood with maybe 3 repeated enemy types.

You can say goodbye to the gore and brutality of the past God of war games. From memory in one of his interviews he didn't want to expose his tranny son to toxic masculinity and didn't think the gore was necessary.

Bunch of woke Californian cocksuckers.
Tranny son? Get fucked

Abhorash

Neo Member
People are quick to point out only certain aspects that are not authentic/accurate to the mythology - but then won't apply that same line of thinking towards the entire the game; because they'll quickly realise, very little of what SSM are doing is remaining truthful, and it's not supposed to be, it's just a big budget game to designed to entertain people.
That's true, GOW was never very serious about mythology, it was just the bait to the series.

But to claim to those who criticize chungus Thor something like "stop seething, this is not Marvel Thor it's mythologically accurate and how he should be" (and I have read MANY comments like this) while at the same time presenting a subsaharan-looking person as a Norse Jotunn and justifying it as "anything goes, this is artistic freedom, why do you care, are you racist?"....You see what I'm saying here? And people inevitably pick up on that and calling it names from hypocritical to brainless to selective agenda/ideology-serving. This does nothing good.

In any other case, I'd say I'm overthinking it. But this phenomenon is so widespread in Western society and entertainment today (especially the US), to the point that even non-Western nations have caught up on what's going on here.

Yoboman

That's true, GOW was never very serious about mythology, it was just the bait to the series.

But to claim to those who criticize chungus Thor something like "stop seething, this is not Marvel Thor it's mythologically accurate and how he should be" (and I have read MANY comments like this) while at the same time presenting a subsaharan-looking person as a Norse Jotunn and justifying it as "anything goes, this is artistic freedom, why do you care, are you racist?"....You see what I'm saying here? And people inevitably pick up on that and calling it names from hypocritical to brainless to selective agenda/ideology-serving. This does nothing good.

In any other case, I'd say I'm overthinking it. But this phenomenon is so widespread in Western society and entertainment today (especially the US), to the point that even non-Western nations have caught up on what's going on here.
Jotunn can literally shapeshift to whatever they want and can be anything from human like to snakes or wolves. Loki literally transforms into a female horse to have sex with a male horse and give birth to an eight legged horse. Nothing they do can be as ridiculous as actual norse myths so a Jotunn having black skin is pretty light

It could still end up being a great game. I don't know how much pull the director has on the engine/technical aspects of development. Seems like that might come more from corporate, if they wanted to spend the money/time on upgrading the engine or reusing old assets.

El Sueño

How the score started to change according to the climax; the maturity of the dialogues, the whole atmosphere and the setting. Stellar job here, Santa Monica.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Million bucks says there’s a scene where the black girl and Atreus are getting close and about to kiss and then you hear “Boy!” and it interrupts the moment for giggles.

Set your expectations accordingly for the quality of writing.

Vaelka

Do you really think blacks lived in Scandinavia pre Middle Ages and are mentioned in Norse mythology?
I am Swedish and I really don't give much of a shit unless it's meant to be historically accurate.

The only thing that bothers me is that people act like morons about it, like in Kingdom Come which was meant to be historically accurate where people acted like black people would make sense.
Or that lady in the thread linked here who's all like '' black people exist '', yeah but come the fuck on..

And also why is it literally only black people every time?
It's such a US-centric bullshit way of looking at '' diversity ''.
Other people exist too and diversity is about more than skin color, I think you'd have to be a complete moron to not see how transparent it all is.
It's very obvious that Americans are throwing black people into everything to score points.

It was the same with Valkyrie being black in the MCU, I really don't care and I actually liked her actress a lot.
But at the same time the defenders of it are obnoxious as fuck and even push this when games are actually meant to be historically accurate, even in shows etc based on historical events marketed as historical they still raceswap characters it's just dumb.
Just don't be an idiot about it and I don't care.

Edit: Like this...
Come the fuck on...

Why do people gotta be this retarded about it?

Last edited:
Even though not huge upgrade but still looks good.

My Main concern is that Cory not working on the game. Hope its as good as 2018 one

Top Bottom