• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | PS5 Showcase Reveal Trailer

FrankieSab

No it doesn't, fidelity is more important than framerate.
Thats why graphics have always been a much bigger selling point than framerate throughout the mediums history. Only internet nerds give a damn about framerate over graphics. that is a FACTTT
It's not the mindset of this gen. Faster famerate is a must (up to 120).

YukiOnna

I think it looks great and I'm stoked to see where the story goes.

If this is the final one for Asgard does that mean we're going to another plane of existence or is the story wrapping up?

Maybe that rumored 40 hour length is legit.
Egypt and Japan were the other planes teased in GoW 2018. The way they worded it only mentioned the Norse Saga conclusion.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's not the mindset of this gen. Faster famerate is a must (up to 120).
The higher the framerate, the shittier the game looks. So i'm betting this new trend will shift back to normal midway and towards the end of the gen. (hopefully)

All the generation defining games will be targeting 30fps. Ratchet was butter smooth at 30, and looked WAY better.

So i'm betting this new trend will shift back to normal midway and towards the end of the gen. (hopefully)

giphy.webp

FrankieSab

The higher the framerate, the shittier the game looks. So i'm betting this new trend will shift back to normal midway and towards the end of the gen. (hopefully)

All the generation defining games will be targeting 30fps. Ratchet was butter smooth at 30, and looked WAY better.
Since the CPU is not a limiting factor anymore, well optimized games will not be 30fps unless they use Ray tracing. Developers will learn to use all the featureset of the new consoles, and things will still improve.

Last edited:

Yoboman

no worries, this is the tradition at SMS. Each god of war has a different director

GOW : david jaffe
GOW II : cory barlog
GOW III : stig asmussen
I dont think its necessarily a good tradition though. Its been tradition by necessity because Jaffe and Barlog both left

And IMO the Jaffe to Barlog hand off was the only one that truly worked. Stig's fingerprints on the last 80% of GOW3 are much worse than the opening 20% when Barlog was still there

The guy after Stig was even worse with Ascension.

We will need to wait and see with the new guy but my worry with the new directors is if they have the balls to make big and bold decisions. The GOW franchise had to be rescued from a state of overly cautious identity and not changing anything in the formula and from everything Cory interviews showed- he basically had to drag the whole team out of their comfort zone to get there

Abhorash

Neo Member
Do you think son of Zeus is father of Loki in actual Norse mythology?
Never really liked what they did with Greek mythology and the gods in this series (at its heart GOW was always just a hack n slash with a gore schtick, nothing especially more), but this is just too much on the nose for it to be a simple twist of events. I don't remember pulling stuff like this before in the trilogy, except maybe a depiction of Artemis in GOW1 where she looked a lot like sub-saharan instead of indoeuropean/mediterranean. But then they proceeded to completely re-imagine her in the following games.

Though certainly the fact that Kratos was transported somehow to Scandinavia instead of dying in Greece (GOW 3 was a good ending for the series), is retarded as it is. So the series is beyond mythology at this point - just mindless fantasy and full of cheap and shallow fanservice to justify its existance ("remember fat dudebro Thor from Marvel lol? there he is though he is bad now"). You can't tell someone who has read and enjoys mythology "go play GOW" anymore.

Heylon

Santa Monica should never be out here getting bested graphically by some random Square Enix studio.

Yet...

TztiSeN.gif

IvB20q6.gif

I think this looks better.

We will see in the end
Isn’t Forspoken current gen only, though? They can do a lot more here than what the limitations of the PS4 allow Santa Monica to do.

Bartski

Gold Member

Williams also explained that this thought, of evolving and deepening what players experienced before, is also being applied to Ragnarok's actual world, which will let players visit all Nine Realms whereas God of War 2018 omitted some. And even though Fimbulwinter has begun, players shouldn't expect to only encounter snowy realms.

"Going to all the Nine Realms, that was big for me making the old new again. Any realm you've been to before, because Fimbulwinter has struck, they're changed in some way. It doesn't mean that every realm is effected by snow, by the way. I think that's a misnomer...Fimbulwinter is an event that changes the realms in different ways. Midgard is the cataclysmic epicenter, so it got permafrost, almost if you will."

But all of the additions the team is making are very methodically intentioned - while the gameplay teases hint at a greater variety than even 2018's God of War offered, Williams wants to make sure all of these new additions mean something to the experience, using an example from combat that indicates how these additions have wider effects.

"Variety for variety's sake is not a thing at all [for us]. It's there to serve what we're trying to do," Williams said. "Kratos grappling up the ledge with a chain and then colliding with the enemy and going off [in the new gameplay footage], you couldn't do things like that [in 2018]. Most of the gameplay last time took place on a plane. Now there's some verticality to it, but it wasn't [a thought like], 'Oh, let's have him flinging up walls just because.' [That's included] because there's gameplay oriented around it, almost king of the hill-type encounters. So it changes how a player expresses themselves on the battlefield.

"Enemies also, can take advantage of that. So if you're not paying attention, they're going to take advantage as well. So it helps again with that conversation that goes through combat."

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Use your head
I did and I can tell these video games never intended to be a seal of quality on how these myths are supposed to be interpreted nor some weird agenda. But I get it, it's futile to bother bringing this up with some people.

Ah, so Cory is still Creative Director on the Game and Studio projects, so it's not entirely someone else's title. From what they showed, Svartalfheim and new areas of Midgard(?) look colorful as ever.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We got Jackson Crawford, a Norse Mythology Expert & Media Consultant for projects such as Assassin Creed Valhalla and Disney's Frozen, to react to God of War, how it portrays Nordic culture, how authentic God of War's runes are, and more!

Jackson deep dives into God of War, looking at how the game digresses and interprets the lore of the Nordic gods, big thanks to him for lending his expertise and if you want to see more from him, check out his YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXCxNFxw6iq-Mh4uIjYvufg

With God of War: Ragnarok releasing in 2022, we thought it was the perfect time to look at God of War's Nordic inspiration. Looking back at the first game's presentation of the Norse God of War, Týr and goddess Freya. Along with other details, Kratos and Atreus discover along the way, including Arteus finding out he's actually Loki.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

Another thing, ill be playing this on my PS4 Pro on a 1080p screen.
While id love to have a PS5 couple with a 4K screen, ill be very satisfied with my experience... ok maybe not so much with those load times.

Vtecomega

Banned
I watched again the trailer at proper 4K and I must say I'm a lot more impressed than yesterday. Today, without the hype I saw a good looking game that I want to play.

My main concern are no longer the next gen graphics but the absence of Cory Barlog.
The absence of Cory would be a good thing. Are you guys serious? God of war 2018 almost had zero gore and blood with maybe 3 repeated enemy types.

You can say goodbye to the gore and brutality of the past God of war games. From memory in one of his interviews he didn't want to expose his tranny son to toxic masculinity and didn't think the gore was necessary.

Bunch of woke Californian cocksuckers.

skit_data

Do you really think blacks lived in Scandinavia pre Middle Ages and are mentioned in Norse mythology?
Slave trading was a thing already back then you know, people of color were certainly not unheard of. Vikings were traders, so they probably brought scandinavian slaves ”trälar” to the mediterranean and north africa as well as bought slaves.

So was it unheard of? Probably not. Could they be considered free? Probably not, but neither were a lot of people born in scandinavia as the ”träl” caste.

Evilms

Banned
I dont think its necessarily a good tradition though. Its been tradition by necessity because Jaffe and Barlog both left

And IMO the Jaffe to Barlog hand off was the only one that truly worked. Stig's fingerprints on the last 80% of GOW3 are much worse than the opening 20% when Barlog was still there

The guy after Stig was even worse with Ascension.

We will need to wait and see with the new guy but my worry with the new directors is if they have the balls to make big and bold decisions. The GOW franchise had to be rescued from a state of overly cautious identity and not changing anything in the formula and from everything Cory interviews showed- he basically had to drag the whole team out of their comfort zone to get there

Last edited:

GymWolf

No it doesn't, fidelity is more important than framerate.
Thats why graphics have always been a much bigger selling point than framerate throughout the mediums history. Only internet nerds give a damn about framerate over graphics. that is a FACTTT
Dude i'm let you pass this one just because we think alike sometimes...

I have no problem with pushing graphic on console over framerate because they are weak machines and you need compromises to see a big jump and we are all curious to see what ND or the other studios can squeeze from these machines, but that's just because i play like 5 games on console a year and the remaining 99% is on pc at 60 frames.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I did and I can tell these video games never intended to be a seal of quality on how these myths are supposed to be interpreted nor some weird agenda. But I get it, it's futile to bother bringing this up with some people.

Ah, so Cory is still Creative Director on the Game and Studio projects, so it's not entirely someone else's title. From what they showed, Svartalfheim and new areas of Midgard(?) look colorful as ever.
This stuff sounds great

Im excited for revisiting all Nine realms. I hope that Muspelheim and Niflheim have a bit more depth to them

Last edited:

imissweed

Banned
At least give Kratos a new weapon.
God there so pathetic in coming up with new ideas. They play it so safe. Insomniac really is the new crown jewel at Sony. Santa Monica studios really need to dunk there head in a tub of ice water and get slapped if they think what they have is anything other than a padded out retread of 2018.

Watching the trailer feels like ordering a number 5 from McDonald's. It's so by the numbers and unimaginative.

New weapons? Same locations, same animations so much just regurgitated from 2018 i hope this game bombs hard and they do a remake for ps5 only not this cross gen shit of the original trilogy with sex games.

Kratos deserves better, Santa Monica go back to work this game needs a serious graphical overhaul and much besides!!

Fuk u I will not pre-order this sjit will buy used or on discount

GymWolf

God there so pathetic in coming up with new ideas. They play it so safe. Insomniac really is the new crown jewel at Sony. Santa Monica studios really need to dunk there head in a tub of ice water and get slapped if they think what they have is anything other than a padded out retread of 2018.

Watching the trailer feels like ordering a number 5 from McDonald's. It's so by the numbers and unimaginative.

New weapons? Same locations, same animations so much just regurgitated from 2018 i hope this game bombs hard and they do a remake for ps5 only not this cross gen shit of the original trilogy with sex games.

Kratos deserves better, Santa Monica go back to work this game needs a serious graphical overhaul and much besides!!

There is no chanche that kratos is not gonna have at least 1-2 new weapons.

the game is 40 hours long and you have already both axe and blades unlocked and probably upgraded in some way, they need to fill 40 hours with new combat stuff.

I expcect some sort of spear and a pair of gauntlets like the chestus in gow3.

Last edited:

imissweed

Banned
You can easily notice how much better the facial expressions are now, and the gameplay seems to be upgraded as well along with the graphics that were already amazing!
I can't easily notice anything other than my absolute disappointment at this fuking cross gen shit. I hate the ps4 holding this baby back and what the f is going on with the lack of blood and gore???? Now Santa Monica is offended by gore it seems.

You guys need to man the fuxk up and get back your MOJO. We want blood and gore and dismemberment and a awesome sex mini game remember how you guys use to have sex mini games back when god of war was awesome and not under the woke influence of sensitive weak men???

What are you so afraid of that's a staple of God of War. Most of use just want that we don't really like Atreaus we for the most part hate him and want to throw him off the tallest mountain in Midgard because he is an insufferable little bitxh

TonyK

The absence of Cory would be a good thing. Are you guys serious? God of war 2018 almost had zero gore and blood with maybe 3 repeated enemy types.

You can say goodbye to the gore and brutality of the past God of war games. From memory in one of his interviews he didn't want to expose his tranny son to toxic masculinity and didn't think the gore was necessary.

Bunch of woke Californian cocksuckers.
I liked for the good design and story telling, gore is fun but irrelevant for quality.

imissweed

Banned

the game is 40 hours long and you have already both axe and blades unlocked and probably upgraded in some way, they need to fill 40 hours with new combat stuff.

I hope you are right. Good point!

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Can already see Thor's hammer and a spear added to the mix.

GymWolf

Can already see Thor's hammer and a spear added to the mix.
Thor's hammer is too similar to the axe in terms of mechanics (they were clearly inspired by mcu thor success for the axe)

i can see adding it to save resources on animations and stuff, they add some slight variations, some thunders here and there instead of the ice element et voila, but i really want something that feels new like a 2hand weapon, a spear or gauntlets etc.

Maybe even a rudimentary ranged\magic weapon to spice things up.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Thor's hammer is too similar to the axe in terms of mechanics (they were clearly inspired by mcu thor success for the axe)

i can see adding it to save resources on animations and stuff, they add some slight variations, some thunders here and there instead of the ice element et voila, but i really want something that feels new like a 2hand weapon, a spear or gauntlets etc.

Maybe even a rudimentary ranged\magic weapon to spice things up.

Blades = Fire.
Axe = Ice.
Hammer = Electricity.
Spear = Poison.

That what I think they might have them be, using each for specific enemies for highest damage, just like the first two in the previous game.

Last edited:

tommib

Wow.

imissweed

Banned
Looks like a PS4 game. Animations are stiff. Atreus voice is annoying as fuck. Zero blood and gore. Thanks Cory.
Exactly my thought, very disappointed in what was shown. The toned down violence is just not at all what any real fan is going to get behind and must be from Santa Monica becoming just idk do offended by everything cool.

But thanks for the black chick I live that you included some minority nobody at the end. Real cute how you show how with the times you guys are. /s

GymWolf

Blades = Fire.
Axe = Ice.
Hammer = Electricity.
Spear = Poison.

That what I think they might have them be, using each for specific enemies for highest damage, just like the first two in the previous game.
Spear with earth maybe, if they are using natural elements, earth is more probable than venom.

Or chestus type gauntles with earth element, like you punch down the terrain to provoke earthquakes and shit, something with the highest damage output but also the slower weapon and with less range, they already have some punching animations ready from the rage mode in the first game, they can adapt that shit for some gauntlets moves.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
The fact it's the last of the horse saga means alot of shit is going to go down. We will probably get Thor, Odin and etc. Basically whatever big beasts, god's etc left in Norse mythology needs to be in this. 2018 God of War was lacking alot of unique enemies, bosses and set pieces so if this game delivers on that front it can potentially be contender for one of my all time great games.

It's also obviously we will be getting Thor's hammer. Electric power. So we will have Fire Chains, Ice Axe, Electric Hammer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom