• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | New Trailer - State of Play | PS4, PS5

So did I. I hated RDR1 and despise the story in GTAV so after the slow first 10 hours, I went to Bestbuy to trade it in. I sat in my car in the BB parking lot for two minutes and then drove back. The only thing kept me from returning it that day was that the story took itself seriously unlike GTAV and RDR1. I gave it another shot and I am glad I did. A thrill ride starting from midway through chapter 3 (around 15-20 hours) all the way till the end.

If they ever patch a 60 fps mode, give it another shot. Especially if you like Westerns. Its the best western story since Unforgiven. Dare I say even better. As a Solid Snake fan, I hate to admit it but Arthur Morgan is the best protaganoist in the history of video games. You have no idea how good the story gets.

It sucks that Rockstar went out of their way to make the game feel like a chore to play because the combat actually gets really good half way through as you long some of the better weapons and Dead Eye upgrades. The setpieces keep things fresh. The animations are godly. I wonder how many people quit in Chapter 2 because of the controls and slow pacing.

Maybe I’ll try it out again.

I enjoyed the original RDR but this felt insanely dated

I was hoping for a new gen remaster but it’s looking unlikely

Ezekiel_

Banned
God Of War Monster GIF by PlayStation

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I enjoyed the original RDR but this felt insanely dated
It is, but its by design. It's silly and stupid but it all kind of kind of starts to make sense towards the end. I still think it was the wrong design decision to make everything feel so cumbersome, but it is one of those games like Death Stranding which reward you for sticking with it through the first 20 brutal hours.

Origins, Unity, Far Cry 3, AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flags are all great open world titles. I wouldnt put their combat systems above Elden Rings, but as far as open world games go, they had all had a great open world that felt rewarding to explore. Combat was arcadey but way more fun than the basic combat in BOTW. Not to mention your weapons didnt break. Some of the games actually had a great story. Even in games that didnt have a good story, it was better than the non-existent stories in BOTW and Elden Rings.

But when it comes to the open world, what matters is how engaging it is, and BOTW just bored me to death. There is so little to do, its astonishing. Why the shrine puzzles werent used in the open world is beyond me. Thats why you have the open world so you can design stuff in it. Not in an underground bunker with balls and elevators that have nothing to do with the open world outside. Elden Rings is a better designed world but 90% of the time you are just killing trash mobs. How is that different from Horizon or Days Gone or Far Cry 3? Better combat system but its the same structure.

I just loved exploring Paris, Egypt, Carribean Islands, Rome and Venice. Those setting are phenomenal. In Unity, they had these hidden puzzles that were tied to various different historical locations in and around paris. I got insanely addicted to them because for the first time ever, every building in the open world felt like it had a purpose. Took me almost 30 hours to do all the puzzles and I felt like I had a PHD in Paris History, but it felt far more rewarding than of the puzzles in BOTW which were undoubtedly better designed but ultimately felt like tech demos divorced from the actual open world.
Good point about BotW not having much (there were a few) physics puzzles in the open world. Yeah there is SO much room for improvement in the next Zelda. I also agree about the basic combat though I'm one of those crazy people who want the weapon system to stay the way it is. Imagine BotW's combat without weapons breaking. It would be so boring. It gives the player some much needed variety and is a mini game in itself, forcing us to scavenge and explore to find weapons. They probably will ditch the durability system though. Too many people seem to really hate it. They had better seriously improve combat though if they're going to do that.

I don't disagree that those AC games are really good and are brimming with content. I wish Unity, FC3, and BF had decent next gen patches because I can't even enjoy them at 1080p/30 fps. They do suffer from that Ubisoft repetitiveness though. I tried playing AC Odyssey the other day but I hit a wall after a couple hours.

My biggest disappointment this gen is that the console makers havnt taken BC further. If the publisher is too lazy to patch their games why not incentivize them to do so by throwing some money at them. Sony and MS have services they're trying to bolster- imagine a BC "arms race" resulting games from the ps4/one x generation get patched to 4k/60 ...but that's another topic and one that will never happen

Thirty7ven

Banned
Cant say the visuals tech wise are giving me anything to be wowed by. But it looks great nonetheless!

More than anything it’s the scale of the production that is coming through and you just know they have had the time to make something truly epic.

Pedro Motta

I'm replaying the "first" one in Give me God of War, and damn, Ragnarok looks so much better, environment detail and geometry details are waaay superior on this one.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are we happy with the visuals of Ragnarok now guys? Havnt seen a single complaint since the trailer. It does seem to have an extra sheen of polish to me.
Of course the game looks good. That was never the point. No one makes games quite like Sony studios, especially when it comes to setpiece heavy story driven cinematic games. Rockstar and CD Project are the only ones who are capable of making these games and they take 5-6 years to churn out one game, and CD Project completely dropped the ball with their last game. So basically, no one.

Thats what made this so frustrating because when the cream of the crop choose to hold themselves back, it leaves us to rely on other studios who have never quite delivered. And as we can see, no one has stepped up this gen. Not one third party or MS first party studio have produced a single next gen game that have topped TLOU2, GoT, and GoW 2018. The best looking game out right now is HFW a cross gen Sony first party title. Go figure.

Couldn't comment before because I was banned.

What a legit awesome trailer, the shot of the wolf chasing the moon was absolutely beautiful.

Looks like this God of War DLC is going to be another banger.

GOW 2018 was already a good looking game and looks very nice when played at 4K.

However there is barely any visual improvement in the sequel.

Does it look good? Yes
Should it look better? Also yes.
Why should it look better? What looks much better then this? Why do Sony games have to be held to a much higher standard then everything else?

Last edited:

GymWolf

A week before launch?

Sounds like they're confident in their game.

One week before launch, to avoid spoilers
paul happening GIF
I sincerely hope that no streamer is gonna get the game a week sooner like the reviewers, or even 2-3 days before launch date.

Some of these assholes put the ending in the thumbnail on yt...for the first gow i had the luck to only glance the face of the giant in the last fight in one of those TN.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Couldn't comment before because I was banned.

What a legit awesome trailer, the shot of the wolf chasing the moon was absolutely beautiful.

Looks like this God of War DLC is going to be another banger.

Why should it look better? What looks much better then this? Why do Sony games have to be held to a much higher standard then everything else?
You seem offended. Calm down.

It should look better because it's being released on the PS5.

Why should I own a PS5 if all I'm playing are PS4 level graphics?

You seem offended. Calm down.

It should look better because it's being released on the PS5.

Why should I own a PS5 if all I'm playing are PS4 level graphics?
Maybe you shouldn't, why do you have one? It's a crossgen game that looks better than pretty much any similar game released so far. The fact that the 2018 game looks so good shouldn't be used against this game.

Last edited:
lmao. This is it. We've officially hit rock bottom.
You are complaining that God of War Ragnarok doesn't look up to your standards, wake up. What other publisher/dev is doing better?

I can't even tell if you are serious, look at this trailer, I couldn't be more hyped to play a game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beat the last one for the first time last night, surprised there wasn’t more of a cliffhanger for the sequel.

Watching the trailers it looks like an expansion, wonder why development has taken this long. Looks like more fight dudes, open big door, environmental puzzle, cutscene, big set piece, repeat.

Definitely waiting for a price drop. Surprised by the hype.

Last edited:
Top Bottom