• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | New Trailer - State of Play | PS4, PS5

OZ9000

Banned
Wow 3.3 million views already. Game is goimg to be a megaton.
I've seen the trailer 10 times already.
Yea, not a fan of how Tyr is being depicted so far. He both looks and sounds incredibly weak compared to Kratos. I get that he’s been imprisoned for some time, but still, you’d expect the Norse God of War to radiate a bit more masculinity.
He looked much better in the older trailer.

Loxus

Yea, not a fan of how Tyr is being depicted so far. He both looks and sounds incredibly weak compared to Kratos. I get that he’s been imprisoned for some time, but still, you’d expect the Norse God of War to radiate a bit more masculinity.
Like you said, he's been locked up and most likely being starved.

Also despite being the God of War, he fought to stop wars in a non violent way.

Here you can learn my about Tyr.

Filldo

I agree. I thought GOW 3 actually had better combat, weapon options and bosses and was a better game overall.
I platinumed GOW 3 and could not disagree with you more.

GOW took a less is more approach to weapons. You have the chains, the ax and the shield. But each of them have unique move sets and play very different from one another. Add in runes and you have a ton of variety to how you can play.

The weapons in GOW3 are reskins of one another. Their combos are the same. The hammer was the only one that felt different from the rest.

GOW3 is definitely more flashy and focused on spectacle but its ultimately shallow compared to GOW. Fighting the Valkyrie's really shows how much better the combat in in GOW. And I know its only my opinion but the Ax is the coolest fucking weapon ever. I'm hoping people are right and we get to play with Thor's hammer in this one.

OZ9000

Banned

GOW took a less is more approach to weapons. You have the chains, the ax and the shield. But each of them have unique move sets and play very different from one another. Add in runes and you have a ton of variety to how you can play.

The weapons in GOW3 are reskins of one another. Their combos are the same. The hammer was the only one that felt different from the rest.

GOW3 is definitely more flashy and focused on spectacle but its ultimately shallow compared to GOW. Fighting the Valkyrie's really shows how much better the combat in in GOW. And I know its only my opinion but the Ax is the coolest fucking weapon ever. I'm hoping people are right and we get to play with Thor's hammer in this one.
God of War 3 has much better and more varied enemies though. The boss battles are also second to none.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
God of War 3 has much better and more varied enemies though. The boss battles are also second to none.
I would say God of War 3 had much better enemy and bosses designs but I agree if we are talking about the actual combat, God of War 2018 was better.

My biggest issue with GOW 2018 was how bad the enemy variety was. I mean in the section when you go to Niflheim to get heart of guardian in order cure Atreus and I was excited of what I was gonna fight to get that heart but it turns out it just reskin of the troll boss that I fought 100 times, I mean for high budget AAA game, enemy variety was really bad.

Last edited:

Filldo

I would say God of War 3 had much better enemy and bosses designs but I agree if we are talking about the actual combat, God of War 2018 was better.

My biggest issue with GOW 2018 was how bad the enemy variety was. I mean in the section when you go to Niflheim to get heart of guardian in order cure Atreus and I was excited of what I was gonna fight to get that heart but it turns out it just reskin of the troll boss that I fought 100 times, I mean for high budget AAA game, enemy variety was really bad.
I agree with you both. The variety of enemies was a let down and there were not nearly enough boss battles. Hoping they fix that issue with Ragnarock.

OZ9000

Banned

I thought the combat in God Of War 3 was pretty good but yes the series did need a change after having the same gameplay for 10 years.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I thought the combat in God Of War 3 was pretty good but yes the series did need a change after having the same gameplay for 10 years.
Yeah that was very clear after God Of War Ascension, they took that combat as far as they could and GOW 2018 still has element for pervious games especially after you get your Blades, but now there more depth but I wish it had more fun enemies/boss fights, I like the Valkyrie fights (which were optional) but outside those there weren't than many fun fights.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It looks amazing, but as I said earlier: imagine this being a PS5-only project... Still my most anticipated game since it was announced.

Things I hope for:
- that the rumors of it being twice as long as the previous held are true
- that they improve on enemy/boss variety (no troll-recycling please)
- not too many sidequests, but make the ones that are there interesting story- and lorewise

Markio128

It looks amazing, but as I said earlier: imagine this being a PS5-only project... Still my most anticipated game since it was announced.

Things I hope for:
- not too many sidequests, but make the ones that are there interesting story- and lorewise
I’m kind of glad it is being released for PS4, so those without a PS5 can still enjoy the sequel. Hopefully there will be a new GOW that will fully utilise the PS5 sometime in the future.

Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro, Dragons Dogma, For Honor

GoW relies on cinematics too much for me. It constantly takes away control for the sake of epic spectacle (which is cool for those who want it). How many times am I going to see the same animation of Balder punching the shield in the same fight? Also doesn't help that they just added some fire and ice particle effects for his final boss fight. He didn't have much variation in his attacks either.

Enemies/bosses also have certain invulnerable states during certain animations, and you can't hit them until that specific animation is at a certain point, which gets annoying. Sometimes you'll waste a super because of it, or an enemy will just attack right through your combo, completely ignoring it.

On top of all that, no real enemy variety. Same few bosses (there are 5 real story boss fights, and two of them are Baldur; Dragon was just OK; repeat trolls and Valks), same few fodder. Like Baldur, most bosses don't really have that many attacks, which is rough when there are so few bosses.

The devs wanted to translate Dark Souls style combat, but they didn't do the best at it IMO. Definite room for improvement in the sequel.
Spot on post^^. That being said I think considering the cinematic nature of GoW, they did a great job making it still feel like your actually playing a game. What a spectacle this game is. I agree with you though there is still room for improvement. Take the control away a little bit less please devs and add some better enemy variety. The boss fights kinda sucked. Boulder was only cool the very first time I fought him.

I’m kind of glad it is being released for PS4, so those without a PS5 can still enjoy the sequel. Hopefully there will be a new GOW that will fully utilise the PS5 sometime in the future.
Fuck em. They should be able to find a ps5 by now. Not worth holding out on the people who bought a ps5 so ps4 owners can get a chance to play GoW. If it releases ps5 exclusive they'll get to play a better version of Ragnarok eventually when they upgrade. This is the first generation that Sony has held their games hostage to last gen hardware, 2 years into the next gen.

It's about treating your customers right. The people who went out and supported Sony and spent the $550 (or more) on Sonys hyped up tech. This is Sony doing what they've done for this entire generation which is to shit on ps5 owners for the sake of their greed.

Markio128

Fuck em. They should be able to find a ps5 by now. Not worth holding out on the people who bought a ps5 so ps4 owners can get a chance to play GoW. If it releases ps5 exclusive they'll get to play a better version of Ragnarok eventually when they upgrade. This is the first generation that Sony has held their games hostage to last gen hardware, 2 years into the next gen.

It's about treating your customers right. The people who went out and supported Sony and spent the $550 (or more) on Sonys hyped up tech. This is Sony doing what they've done for this entire generation which is to shit on ps5 owners for the sake of their greed.
That’s one way to look at it. Or they could be supporting the millions of gamers who own a PS4, is another way to look at it.
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Filldo

Spot on post^^. That being said I think considering the cinematic nature of GoW, they did a great job making it still feel like your actually playing a game. What a spectacle this game is. I agree with you though there is still room for improvement. Take the control away a little bit less please devs and add some better enemy variety. The boss fights kinda sucked. Boulder was only cool the very first time I fought him.
The single shot was pretty amazing. I hope they pull that off again. Seriously can’t wait for Ragnarock.

Things I hope for:
I don't think it's a coincidence this took 5 years to make and the previous one only 4, even thought they were rebuilding their engine and rebooting an entire franchise.

I still think we're getting something like TLOU2: Something huge happening halfway through the game, a huge twist and then the game hits its 2nd act. Not sure if Atreus will be a playbable character during half of the game, not sure if Zeus is the middle game boss and we get the hammer, whatever it is, it'll be glorious. There's no way this game isn't going to be a fucking trip.

God of War Ragnarök - State of Play Sep 2022 Story Trailer | PS5 & PS4 Games: 4 032 824 views
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Coming May 12th, 2023 – Nintendo Switch: 4 027 115 views

God of War surpassed Zelda in the past hour, to become the biggest videogame related video this past week even though it was released 12 hours later. Counting main accounts only. Not counting IGN and all other channels that regional videos from each country.

I said this could hit 5M in a week and it hit 4M in 48 hours alone.

Things I hope for:

Or how about you just dont do the sidequests if you think there are too many of them.

NT80

It's been a long time but I don't remember the different weapons being reskins. That would've stuck in my mind. I remember the bosses and enemies being way better and the story being far more dramatic not to mention the brutality. GOW 2018 seems so empty and dead in comparison. Where is everyone?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Damn, whoever cut that trailer deserves a raise. They really know what they're doing.

As a huge fan of God of War 3, I got those youngman brutal vibes from Kratos when he said "Death can have me...when it earns me" and then it goes right into a preview of the combat. I find myself suddenly much more interested in this game.

It's been a long time but I don't remember the different weapons being reskins. That would've stuck in my mind. I remember the bosses and enemies being way better and the story being far more dramatic not to mention the brutality. GOW 2018 seems so empty and dead in comparison. Where is everyone?
Weapons weren't reskins

Filldo

Weapons weren't reskins
Reskin was an exaggeration on my part but they still did not have much variety.

Also love how no one caught the fact that I called the gauntlets a hammer haha. Clearly I don’t remember as well as I thought!

Whatever, bulky ass weapon that crushed! And killing Hercules to get them was just awesome.

YukiOnna

So excited. They showed a lot, but feels like they're also holding back a lot so I'm not too worried about spoilers.

Kratos just said iconic line after iconic line.

DaGwaphics

Nice trailer. The materials/textures on the clothing really stand out, so much detail there. Although, with the way the last one looked I guess that is to be expected.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
That last boss was disappointing. All style over substance. The real last boss was the Valkyrie queen.
They made the good bosses optional so as not scare people off with the challenge.
It depends on what you like. I love spectacle and set pieces so The Stranger was my favorite boss fight by far

I still went on to defeat all of the Valkyries too though

Game looks sick. Not much of an upgrade from the original I feel, but it was already 10/10 so hard to make any meaningfull changes. The story looks sick too, hyped for the PC version.

Valkyrie alone are mechanically better than anything inside gow3 combined.

Chronos spectacle aside is a trash boss fight.
A lot of the great boss fights from God of War 3 were full of QTEs and weren't always about your skill. It was literally almost all about spectacle. Which is why the Valkyries were a great addition to the previous game tbh.

But it is God of War, spectacle is needed and i hope some huge ass boss fights here.

GymWolf

A lot of the great boss fights from God of War 3 were full of QTEs and weren't always about your skill. It was literally almost all about spectacle. Which is why the Valkyries were a great addition to the previous game tbh.

But it is God of War, spectacle is needed and i hope some huge ass boss fights here.
I understand that, i just prefer mechanically good boss fight over boss fights full of spectacle but with very poor/easy machanics and gimmicks.

Baldur was another example of going full spectacle and zero substance, the guy has like 3 moves and it was stupidly easy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Why not have both?

Poseidon, Hades, Hercules, Hermes, Zeus battles were all enjoyable.
They were all mechanically extremely simple, how many moves for boss? 3? 4 at best? Some of them probably even less.

Like i said, i get that gow is a game made for spectacle but i personally prefer boss fights that are actually hard and not only based on spectacle\gimmicks.

Since the ratio in the past gow was literally 95% spectacle and 5% reserved to the valkirie, i sincerely hope that this time the ratio is gonna be more 50\50 but from the last trailer, i have low expectations since they probably doubled down with big boss battles, hopefully thor is gonna have more than 3 moves and half the fight is not gonna be a qte cutscene.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
The very first boss fight against Baldur in GOW was the best of the series, the set up and execution was world class. Especially on first play through. Hope there's more like this coming. And would be great if the scale got amped up a bit *fingers crossed for the Thor fight*.

Top Bottom