• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Holy shit those Berserkers are intense.

ZVw0NNU.jpg

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m at the place where Atreus goes when he falls asleep and meets the one person.

This section of the game is just dragging on and on. It’s at least 3x longer than it needs to be. Feels like Final Fantasy 7 Remake levels of padding.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

I’m at the place where Atreus goes when he falls asleep and meets the one person.

This section of the game is just dragging on and on. It’s at least 3x longer than it needs to be. Feels like Final Fantasy 7 levels of padding.
Just when you think it’s over, it will keep on going I’m afraid.

sainraja

If you feel like the game is getting a bit long, you can easily take a break and come back to it. I took my time through the game on purpose (not realizing how long the game was) and I would say I was overall satisfied with the length. I did all side quests that I possibly could (the crucible stuff I still need to do and some of the gravestone fights — these are challenging. I found it to be not too long and not too short.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just when you think it’s over, it will keep on going I’m afraid.
Fuck me. Really? Like, this section, or are there more to come? Please god tell me there’s not more later on too.
If you feel like the game is getting a bit long, you can easily take a break and come back to it. I took my time through the game on purpose (not realizing how long the game was) and I would say I was overall satisfied with the length. I did all side quests that I possibly could (the crucible stuff I still need to do and some of the gravestone fights — these are challenging. I found it to be not too long and not too short.
The games length is fine. Just this section with Atreus is bad, imo. Everything else has been great, even the previous Atreus section.

sainraja

Fuck me. Really? Like, this section, or are there more to come? Please god tell me there’s not more later on too.

The games length is fine. Just this section with Atreus is bad, imo. Everything else has been great, even the previous Atreus section.
I didn't mind playing as Atreus. It was a nice slightly different way to play through some of the areas for me. His combat style was a little more agile/fast. The area you are describing is (when he sleeps and wakes up), I think, the first time you get to control Atreus, but the other sections aren't like this so I wouldn't worry. I didn't mind it personally.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I didn't mind playing as Atreus. It was a nice slightly different way to play through some of the areas for me. His combat style was a little more agile/fast. The area you are describing is (when he sleeps and wakes up), I think, the first time you get to control Atreus, but the other sections aren't like this so I wouldn't worry. I didn't mind it personally.
I have no problem with playing as Atreus. Nice pallet change. It’s the story pacing that’s god awful. Riding that thing, just walking and talking. Just so boring compared to the everything else. And no, there was a section previously where you play as Atreus and your goal is to meet mad momma.

sainraja

I have no problem with playing as Atreus. Nice pallet change. It’s the story pacing that’s god awful. Riding that thing, just walking and talking. Just so boring compared to the everything else. And no, there was a section previously where you play as Atreus and your goal is to meet mad momma.
Oh yeah, I thought I was forgetting a previous encounter.....but later encounters with Atreus aren't like this. They probably could have set up Atreus' sections as a separate campaign so when playing through Kratos, you only learn about what he shares with you. Then you could choose to go through Atreus' campaign and enjoy it separately. Maybe that might have helped with the pacing issues for you.

Last edited:

RPS37

I just finished
Midgard with Freya
And I just saw a video about the best relic in the game
the multiple green swords one
is it super hard to beat all the bosses to get it?

BouncyFrag

My favorite banter from the game. Kratos gets mildly offended with, ‘exaggerated?!?’.

Edit - I just replayed GoW2 and forgot that Kratos also went further back in time to bring back the vanquished titans to serve his needs for revenge. That’s even worse than what he admitted, lol.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m having a hard time with this game. It’s the pacing. I still consider the 2018 God of War to be the best Sony exclusive ever. This sequel though. I’m having trouble just sitting down with it and having things being very stretched out. Just feels like the game has far less game in it, and more story beats than the last one.

Am I the only one that feels/felt this way about this game?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I’m having a hard time with this game. It’s the pacing. I still consider the 2018 God of War to be the best Sony exclusive ever. This sequel though. I’m having trouble just sitting down with it and having things being very stretched out. Just feels like the game has far less game in it, and more story beats than the last one.

Depends on the difficulty I suppose. I have yet to finish the game( but I am close). On the hardest difficulty i was dying all the time. On hard it is better but still lot of deaths on certain boss. If you do not die I can see the gameplay/ cinematics mix be not in the gameplay favor.

Last edited:

sainraja

I don't think there is "less game" in this one. There is a lot more to do in the game. The many side quests, the gravestone battles... it just looks like the game did not hit the mark for you, and that is perfectly okay; it's not less of a game for it. I mean, there is so much in the game so I find it hard to understand anyone saying it has less game in it.

Maybe you should step away from the game and play something else and come back to it later. Sometimes "timing" can be everything. I didn't finish the first one until COVID downtime because upon its release I just wasn't getting into it, but playing it again later changed my mind.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don't think there is "less game" in this one. There is a lot more to do in the game. The many side quests, the gravestone battles... it just looks like the game did not hit the mark for you, and that is perfectly okay; it's not less of a game for it. I mean, there is so much in the game so I find it hard to understand anyone saying it has less game in it.

Maybe you should step away from the game and play something else and come back to it later. Sometimes "timing" can be everything. I didn't finish the first one until COVID downtime because upon its release I just wasn't getting into it, but playing it again later changed my mind.
I have found myself taking breaks from it. I beat High on Life and played a ton of Monster Hunter Rise. Then I came back to it. But you might be right. I might not be in the mood for something like this.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve done all the side quests that I can so far. We are in Midgard trying to find the Norns.

How far into the game am I?

Sygma

Started this two days ago and reached Tyr in one sitting. (quit when i got to play Atreus, did the mining rigs / watchtower sidequest too)

So far its a gigantic letdown compared to the 1st which definitely was more focused than this. Everything seems to have been designed to last longer than it should have : for example why is there so many puzzles just to get to the dwarf city. Why in the train sequence leading to the mine, there needed to be two or three trains and puzzles and unecessary combat encounters between them ?

Also why is there MULTIPLE combat encounters sometimes in the same room you're in just because you trigger a script (for example getting close to a chest). Whats up with all these little adds based hyper repetitive encouters just padding out the pacing ?

where did the hand to hand skill tree go ? the shield's ? like I get it Atreus get special arrows quickly which get you to stun enemies efficiently if you picked the more aggressive shield, and I get it that you need to either put ice or burn status on enemies then swap to the other weapon to destroy them but it feels so extra for no reason.

GoW 2018 was way, way, way tighter than this because it gave room to contemplation and spaced it out with combat that felt "relevant" to the journey and the places we were going through in a sense, in a similar amount of hours played it just felt twice as focused. Here I'm still getting tutorials pop ups after 6 hours like what the fuck ?

Also what the hell happened to the writing. Atreus felt almost "real" in his reactions in the first game, he was extremely believable and relatable. Here's he's just at times reacting so oddly and overall just seems poorly written versus Kratos's impeccable (and quite surprising) stoicism. I don't really get it. Sure it does look better, sure there's much more enemy variety so far, more moves to the combat and whatnot but it doesn't grip the same. Hope it'll get better

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN interviews Chris Judge about his legacy regarding the God of War 2018 video game and the God of War Ragnarok video game franchise. The actor has won numerous awards for his portrayal of Kratos in God of War, and IGN’s Akeem Lawanson dives deep to find out what inspired Chris Judge to take on the role of the God of War. Ragnarok is not an easy task to pull off, but #GodofWarRagnarok managed to do it effortlessly. #GodofWar was an established franchise before Chris Judge stepped into the role, so we find out how Chris Judge put his very own unique and creative spin on the iconic character of Kratos.

Mjordan23

Neo Member
Played a couple of ours and have to say that the game feels extremely samey compared to the original, everything down to the start of the plot to the exploring. It worked i 2018, but feels really outdated now.
Too many restrictions and very "gamey". Very noticable after playing Elden Ring, which in comparison feels alot mot organic.
Sure it looks great, but......

Last edited:

Freeman76

Played a bit at release then kinda got bored and fell off it. Just came back to it and tge pace seems to have picked up a bit. Just met Odin in Asgard and got the talking sword, is this close to the end?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
"I fucked up" lol. This dad drama thing doesn't work well with this game. It's like watching an American slow burn drama starring lonely dad Kratos and drunken dad Thor. But I'm loving this game, it's great. It could've been goat without lame Athreus parts(slow cinematic gameplay sections combined with basic combat moves) and some overly dramatized story bits though.

Oh, that R2D2 sword sucks too.

Last edited:
I was playing this game constantly at release with my girlfriend watching the whole time. She went away for a few days so I put the game on hold and never went back.

The DLC made me interested again. I booted up my save game from November 2022. I had no idea what to do or how to use the controls. After fumbling around for 30 minutes, I quit and restarted as a new game.

I am now back to the point where I rescue that large sea creature and already the constant yammering from Mimir is driving me nuts. It was cool and interesting in the first game, but I didn’t care for it in Ragnarok. It’s just a unending stream of names and events that have no bearing on the game itself.

Anyway, I think I am back in full form and can resume my original savegame. I had 35 hours invested and want to see it through to the end. This game is good, but not 2018 good (of which I played through twice). This will be a one and done for me.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Finally completed today with platinum. There are two legendary chests left to get but I cba with them.

1YJavMP.jpg

I really struggled on a few berserker fights before Hrolf. So went and blasted through the crater. Despite being generally great, there were still issues with the camera and quick movement, especially with multiple mobs like the berserker plus two sisters. Or the poison ones.

I thought the quick jump away was a bit lame as well. Hrolf and Gna were both really tough (normal). I actually had to change and refine the build completely for Hrolf hence the visit to the crater. Took me quite a few tries and a res stone but got him done. Gna was a total twat. Bodied me so many times, Freya's poison came in handy but again felt the camera and off screen loss of target made this more difficult than it should have been, as well as the stunlock and projectile splash.

The story I actually really liked second time through. I think when games come out we tend to want to get to the end so they drag on. But this felt nicely paced and I took my time more in each area.

The game overall has gone up in my estimation. It's the last for a while or this mythology at least which is good.

Top Bottom