• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
These dual berserker fights are just horseshit. I took down the one in Aflheim and my god, what a pain in the ass. Felt like pure luck just being able to survive long enough to take one of them out first

Also sucked that I had a health bar glitch, it disappeared, so I was fighting them without knowing how much health they had left (or if they somehow glitched with infinite health).
Wow that’s the hardest one. You should have a weapon upgrade so at least it’s worth it. I’d say go do musphelhrim trials next. They should be easier now. The gear you get from there is high in defense and strength and thats basically what you are going to need to defeat the beserkers without breaking your controller. Some crucible trials are a pain but you don’t have to repeat the ones you don’t like.

Cyborg

Is the only way to progress trough Muspelheim by doing challenges? I miss two Ravens but they are further into the map, there is no way to get there without beating the challenges.

Is the only way to progress trough Muspelheim by doing challenges? I miss two Ravens but they are further into the map, there is no way to get there without beating the challenges.
No it's somewhere that might not be currently available

Edit: sorry thought I was in spoiler thread

Last edited:
Copy from the review thread. Without spoilers can anyone give me some awesome news that more mid tier sized enemies turn up etc? I want some big fatty mini bosses etc like all old god of war games use to have like cyclops and minotaur.
Where exactly are you at? I would say there's more mini bosses than any other GOW game ever!

SlimySnake

The loading times in this game are really fast. No idea wtf DF was talking about. I have fast travel doors come up within 2 seconds at times. max ive seen that door appear is 5-6 seconds. It doesnt matter if you are switching between realms or simply traveling within a realm. Loading is almost always just a second or two. really helped clean up the final few trophies.

The only reason why the loading takes so long during the campaign is because they have dialogue sequences thye probably added because the PS4 loading times are so long.

Spyxos

Just played through. That was a great game. It started out a little weak, but the more I played it the better it got. I was surprised how much more Kratos talked and generally came across as a human being.

They need to rework the whole menu. Even after hours I was still looking for things there. And this one Disney part felt like hours. It could have been much shorter and seemed completely out of place in this game. I'm curious to see where it goes next.

yamaci17

well my adventure is over... good luck everyone. It was magnificient, I liked it a lot.

It still has its problems, some stuff is rushed etc. But at least even things that do not click with the story ends up being a good part of the whole. So in the end... I had fun, and that's what matters.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Is there a point of no return toward the end?
I just finished The Summoning chapter, and based on some dialogue, I believe I'm about to reach there now. Do I still have access to a blacksmith during this time where I can't freely explore?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
With last artifacts found, I officially platinum this game......
i-am-done-done.gif

Saucy Papi

my-child-oh-my-child.gif

There is a new valkyrie queen you can fight which is even tougher than Sigrun.
Is she really? I beat her on my third try but could never even make it past all the other Valkyries on the first one. I only beat like 3 or 4 of them.

Guys...THAT REALM IS ENDLESS. i've been there for over 5 hours. How is this optional? holy shit!

One of the best gaming segments of the entire game. I'm 36 hours into the game and i don't want to leave, lol.

Btw, for anyone that has finished it, how long do i have left of the game to finish it without any sidequests?
Killed Heimdall and saved Freya's brother. never left the realm to explore the crater which i'm still doing. but if i leave it and keep playing the story only, how long do i have left?

Last edited:

Danjin44

I don't think you do 😁. She was the toughest boss in the game by far but I still think 2018's Valkyries were by far tougher than the Berserkers and Gna. It took me forever just to beat the one in Muspelheim.
I think the one I found annoying to fight was in Niflheim were you fight Valkyrie in poison fog in GOW 2018.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Guys...THAT REALM IS ENDLESS. i've been there for over 5 hours. How is this optional? holy shit!

One of the best gaming segments of the entire game. I'm 36 hours into the game and i don't want to leave, lol.

Btw, for anyone that has finished it, how long do i have left of the game to finish it without any sidequests?
Killed Heimdall and saved Freya's brother. never left the realm to explore the crater which i'm still doing. but if i leave it and keep playing the story only, how long do i have left?
75% done. Around 25% story left.

K' Dash

I actually just got there right at this moment, I'm also curious to know how much I have left.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I just hit 50 hours, I still have some side content left to finish. Ragnarok is so special. I can smile just thinking about this work of art

I have to thank Santa Monica for giving me my number 1 wish for the sequel: Many new finisher animations 😍

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
What story, where?

Kratos who goes into chicken mode with Mimir and asks for forgiveness and THANKS people for shit? Sony must fire quality control. 4+ years and we get a half assed shitty game from one of the best studios on Earth???

Ssm and sony is spitting/pissing in your face and people embrace it.

If this execution makes you erect you havent experienced any good shit in your life.
You Vs this masterpiece

yO9gqQ8.gif

Danjin44

You Vs this masterpiece
I enjoyed this game a lot even more than 2018 game and platinum the game just like I did pervious game and I dont agree with most points with the person you quoted but calling this "masterpiece" it kind hyperbolic in my opinion.

dorkimoe

Which? I need to explore. I’ve only been doing the story I think.

Cyborg

These optional bosses are harder than anything main in the game! I fcking hate that hidden boss
Raven bitch
Why does it have to be so difficult and even checkpoints don't work on her

Flabagast

Are Muspelheim challenges worth it? Do they have some story attached ?

I am playing in GMGOW difficulty and I find the perspective of tryin these challenges dreadful

Cyborg

I am playing in GMGOW difficulty and I find the perspective of tryin these challenges dreadful
Challenges are not affected by the game difficulty (As far as I know). And there are a lot of resources so its great to do that and you already know what awaits you on top of the mountain.

SlimySnake

No story but they are worth it for the end game gear if you plan on taking on the beserkers.

The first few are annoying but you dont have to repeat them. there are 6 total and three of them are very easy. just do them to unlock the main arena and then you will have a much better time with the additional 6 challenges.

Id say wait till level 7 to do them. maybe 6 since most enemies there are level 5. the main arena boss challenges might have level 7 enemies.

the final challenge drops a chaos flame upgrade so definitely needed to hit max level. the other challenges drop Sutr's armor, the best tanky strength build in the game. should make GMGOW a breeze and give you a fighting chance against the beserkers.

GymWolf

I feel like fighting berserkers and sidecontent while still being at level 4 is not ideal...fucked 3 of them but the one with the 2 bitches, the thunder one and the one that spawn minions are fucking impossible on max difficulty while being underlevel...

I tried the lava zone and it kicked my fucking ass, only managed to do 2 of them...

Maybe i should just complete the main path before doing everything else...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I am replaying the game on No Mercy again. Will wait for NG+ to try out GMGOW, but A LOT of my complaints about the combat being too messy and hectic have dissipated. So many of the fights that gave me problems on my first run are done so quickly, I start looking around for enemies because I remember them being much longer encounters.

Those lizard/frog enemies that stick to walls and spit poison at you are so easy to fight now. I just grab them with the L2 Chains Attack and use R1 to bash them to the ground repeatedly. Those damn Elves are still a pain to fight, but now that I am finally freezing enemies and switching to blades for extra damage to frozen enemies and vice versa, they die much faster. Those triangle attacks do so much burn damage that just one attack can set most enemies on fire and then axe can kill him in a hit or two.

As for going down in 2 hits sometimes, 1 if i wasnt at full health, no longer an issue because i always go in with my defense maxed out. even with vitality at just 20, i am able to take 5-6 hits. Havent died to a single dragur having fought 3. those guys gave me so much trouble. now i just freeze them before they even get a chance to do anything. The Triangle charged Axe throw will stop any red unblockable attack so those poor bastards can never pull off their best most devastating attack anymore.

One last thing I will say and I will probably create a thread for this because we simply cannot allow this kind of shit to go unchecked, and that is the ironwood Naughty Dog level. I got to that point in the story just 6 hours in. that means I did the entire svalterlheim hubworld, the alfheim open world in just 6 hours. but the ironwood level took me 2 hours. A full 2 hours. i couldnt rush through it, period. it is everything thats wrong with Naughty Dog games and there is literally 2 hours of it in a game far superior than anything naughty dog has made in 9 years.

SSM should NOT be copying Naughty Dog. ND should be copying SSM. GOW 2018 was perfect in terms of pacing of the main campaign mixing in with optional islands involving combat and puzzles. This is torture. There is combat here. You get new abilities. there is a cool boss fight at the very end, but TWO FUCKING HOURS?? thats the length of an entire movie. You go on FOUR collectathons wih angroboda. FOUR. This after TWO walking sections with her with unskippable cutscenes.

It shouldve been a 20 minute section with just one buffalo riding sequence, not four. maybe 2 combat sequences ending with that cool boss fight. Dont get inspired by Naughty Dog please. Your crater level is something ND doesnt have the talent or patience to produce. Stick to that kind of game design.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I am replaying the game on No Mercy again. Will wait for NG+ to try out GMGOW, but A LOT of my complaints about the combat being too messy and hectic have dissipated. So many of the fights that gave me problems on my first run are done so quickly, I start looking around for enemies because I remember them being much longer encounters.

Those lizard/frog enemies that stick to walls and spit poison at you are so easy to fight now. I just grab them with the L2 Chains Attack and use R1 to bash them to the ground repeatedly. Those damn Elves are still a pain to fight, but now that I am finally freezing enemies and switching to blades for extra damage to frozen enemies and vice versa, they die much faster. Those triangle attacks do so much burn damage that just one attack can set most enemies on fire and then axe can kill him in a hit or two.

As for going down in 2 hits sometimes, 1 if i wasnt at full health, no longer an issue because i always go in with my defense maxed out. even with vitality at just 20, i am able to take 5-6 hits. Havent died to a single dragur having fought 3. those guys gave me so much trouble. now i just freeze them before they even get a chance to do anything. The Triangle charged Axe throw will stop any red unblockable attack so those poor bastards can never pull off their best most devastating attack anymore.

One last thing I will say and I will probably create a thread for this because we simply cannot allow this kind of shit to go uncheck, and that is the ironwood Naughty Dog level. I got to that point in the story just 6 hours in. that means I did the entire svalterlheim hubworld, the alfheim open world in just 6 hours. but the ironwood level took me 2 hours. A full 2 hours. i couldnt rush through it, period. it is everything thats wrong with Naughty Dog games and there is literally 2 hours of it in a game far superior than anything naughty dog has made in 9 years.

SSM should NOT be copying Naughty Dog. ND should be copying SSM. GOW 2018 was perfect in terms of pacing of the main campaign mixing in with optional islands involving combat and puzzles. This is torture. There is combat here. You get new abilities. there is a cool boss fight at the very end, but TWO FUCKING HOURS?? thats the length of an entire movie. You go on FOUR collectathons wih angroboda. FOUR. This after TWO walking sections with her with unskippable cutscenes.

It shouldve been a 20 minute section with just one buffalo riding sequence, not four. maybe 2 combat sequences ending with that cool boss fight. Dont get inspired by Naughty Dog please. Your crater level is something ND doesnt have the talent or patience to produce. Stick to that kind of game design.
When you are familiar with the game mechanics hard is really normal.

On max difficulty enemies are also more aggressive so you have to re-adjust yourself, and if you are not super aggressive they level up mid fight and you are fucked.

SlimySnake

I feel like fighting berserkers and sidecontent while still being at level 4 is not ideal...fucked 3 of them but the one with the 2 bitches, the thunder one and the one that spawn minions are fucking impossible on max difficulty while being underlevel...

I tried the lava zone and it kicked my fucking ass, only managed to do 2 of them...

Maybe i should just complete the main path before doing everything else...
Yeah, wait till level 7 for beserker fights. level 8 for the multi beserker fights and the beserker king. level 9 for the final side mission boss.
the gear they drop its not really needed for the story. they might help with the musphelheim challenges but tbh, id recommend doing musphelheim challenges before doing the beserker fights.

i spent hours dying to these guys. the dual fights are just bs.

When you are familiar with the game mechanics hard is really normal.

On max difficulty enemies are also more aggressive so you have to re-adjust yourself, and if you are not super aggressive they level up mid fight and you are fucked.

Yeah, thats what I was trying to say. I complained a lot about the unfair balance of the game, but it was really me who didnt understand the new mechanics. I did the same with Sekiro back in 2019. I remember being stuck at Genichiro for six hours until it clicked and then breezed through the game. so i went back and replayed the whole game instead of doing in a NG+ and found it much easier than everyone including myself had made it out to be be.

If you are struggling with enemies leveling up, just use the lunda armor that you get in vanaheim. it applies poison to enemies which should level them down. the wrist and waist armor adds 40% extra melee damage to poisoned enemies. if you level up freya to apply poison to enemies. it should make things pretty easy on GMGOW.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah, wait till level 7 for beserker fights. level 8 for the multi beserker fights and the beserker king. level 9 for the final side mission boss.
the gear they drop its not really needed for the story. they might help with the musphelheim challenges but tbh, id recommend doing musphelheim challenges before doing the beserker fights.

i spent hours dying to these guys. the dual fights are just bs.
I'm not doing it to help me on the story, the story is like easy mode compared to the sidecontent.

I do it to do even more sidecontent:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Flabagast

No story but they are worth it for the end game gear if you plan on taking on the beserkers.

The first few are annoying but you dont have to repeat them. there are 6 total and three of them are very easy. just do them to unlock the main arena and then you will have a much better time with the additional 6 challenges.

Id say wait till level 7 to do them. maybe 6 since most enemies there are level 5. the main arena boss challenges might have level 7 enemies.

the final challenge drops a chaos flame upgrade so definitely needed to hit max level. the other challenges drop Sutr's armor, the best tanky strength build in the game. should make GMGOW a breeze and give you a fighting chance against the beserkers.
Big thanks for the detailed answer. As there is no story I don't think I will commit to it then, at least not until I finish the game proper. I tried a few and they seem very hard in GMGOW, and I am waiting to finish the main game before dropping the difficulty.

Much appreciated.

I just got the new weapon but it's starting to feel like I've seen most of what the game has to offer. Just losing motivation.

For me even if it is cool the new weapon really messes with the general flow of combat that I was starting to master very well. I am not too satisfied lol.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
These dual berserker fights are just horseshit.
The berserker duo in Svartalfheim never attacks you both at once, they switch when jumping back. Becomes quite manageable even on hard once you figure that out.
The one with 3 berserkers (sisters sharing a health bar and the big guy) is sth else, I'd recommend killing off the sisters first asap, they have relatively little health.

Danjin44

I'd recommend killing off the sisters first asap, they have relatively little health.
I tried that but the main berserker is always on your ass, the way beat them was I always position myself so I can see the sisters while fighting the main berserker so those fuckers use their projectiles I would be ready for them.

Last edited:
I'm about 30 hours in and I actually have mixed feelings about this games.. I absolutely love some parts, the exploring and side stuff is great (except for some ridiculously hard optional bosses haha) but would anyone else agree about these parts?

Being forced to play as Atreus. I can't STAND that little fucker, I just hate him and his attitude. I also hate all of his teenage friends, making childish jokes and what not. I absolutely hate his voice, that disgusting puberty voice that breaks when he yells during attacks, his body language.. everything. I also hated that stupid part where you had Angrboda as company, and right now I have Thrud or whatever Thor's daughters's name is .. I love playing as Kratos but it feels like a different game when you play as that little bastard. I hate how he does melee attacks with his bow, what is that?

Also, all the "funny" and "witty" dialogue combined with the Atreus stuff almost ruins the game for me. At least it takes the fun down a couple of notches and I just want to rush all the parts where you play as Atreus. Playing as Kratos with Freya as company is soooooo much better, I can't believe it. That should be the whole game, then I could easily rate it at 95/100 or something. Now it's more like 80/100 to me.

Granted, I haven't finished it yet! Maybe it gets better or there is something redeeming, I dunno.

Top Bottom