• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök - Combat and Enemies Elevated | PS4, PS5

emivita

Guys...

Animated GIF

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I would say “maybe I’m just blind” but I just got a new optometrist, an upgraded prescription, and a new pair of glasses. The combat still doesn’t look fluid to me.

Edit: nvm that’s just with the axe

They have slowdown in the animations to highlight impact situations and I feel it’s a tad overdone with the axe.

midnightAI

Assuming you are making a good game, you will need a publisher, you will likely have to sell your game to them, which will involve some pimping of yourself to news outlets, at GDC, random Youtubers, wherever, to actually get the game published.
If you just want to be one of the cogs in the machine, you could probably be invisible......but youll have to get into the machine, which will require some heavy pimping to begin with.

What part of Game Dev are you planning on getting into?
As an indie dev myself, what the hell are you talking about?

Mr Branding

If someone asked me what was my biggest pet peeve with the first game I would have said ''enemy variety'' and ''few boss fights''. It seems they listened, so this is an instant day 1 for me. Also, can't wait for this to be ported to PC so I can rock it on my steamdeck, but surely that'll be next winter. Can't wait, boys!

DelireMan7

Currently playing the first one (almost at the end since I have 2 stories trophy to unlock). Enemies/boss variety is a huge letdown (like after 2/3 hours, you've basically seen the entire enemy cast. After it's mainly reskin and small change in moveset).

I don't want to watch trailer and stuff so is this point seem to be better in Ragnarök ?

Last edited:

Markio128

Currently playing the first one (almost at the end since I have 2 stories trophy to unlock). Enemies/boss variety is a huge letdown (like after 2/3 hours, you've basically seen the entire enemy cast. After it's mainly reskin and small change in moveset).

I don't want to watch trailer and stuff so is this point seem to be better in Ragnarök ?
Having watched the video, I don’t think there is anything to worry about in that respect - there looks to be tons of different enemy types shown already and I’ve no doubt they are keeping quite a lot under wraps still. I’m most excited that they mentioned they have been inspired by some of the larger, epic boss battles in GOW 3.

Dis Gon B Gud GIF

GymWolf

Double enemies
Double boss
Double new weapons.

Seems like there going above that with the enemies and bosses so I am a happy bunny. Hopefully there's 2 new weapons as well.

Does anyone else feel Tyr will be playable or at least an ally like Atreus?
What was the enemy count in hfw?

I hope they can surpass that since gow enemies are not has hard to make compared to the dinobots.

I'm gonna be severely disappointed if they can't reach 50+ enemy types without counting the bosses.

Markio128

I hope they can surpass that since gow enemies are not has hard to make compared to the dinobots.

I'm gonna be severely disappointed if they can't reach 50+ enemy types without counting the bosses.
Bloody hell, I don’t think there can be many AAA games with 50+ enemy types.

midnightAI

Did you get your game to a publisher without needing to pimp it out?
If you are self publishing, more power to you.
I am self publishing my current game, but long as you have a very good detailed pitch then you don't need to pimp it out (don't get me wrong, exposure such as social media can help if you have the game in that state when you want to pitch to publishers), it's a lot of work admittedly, but hey, it's a more than 16 hour job but hopefully will pay more than £15k (sorry, wrong thread)

GymWolf

Bloody hell, I don’t think there can be many AAA games with 50+ enemy types.
Pretty sure that hfw has more than 50 enemy types between dinobots and humans.

And dinobots are super complicated enemies to make and animate, if guerrilla can do that, santa monica can do the same with humanoid enemies and simple looking creatures, especially when ragnarock look the far more similar and safe sequel between the 2.

The time they saved in graphic and animations should be used to make more content as possible, from software style.

There is really no excuse to not have a gigantic enemy variety in this one.
Over 50 "enemy types"? Not counting bosses? What? You guys are amusing.
I just checked, horizon has 43 different dinobots, if you add all the human enemies archetypes we go up to 50, so yeah nothing amusing in asking for that number of unique enemies in a modern game with a big ass budget and 4-5 years of development.

People said that the game having samey animation and graphic was good because now they can focus on filling the game to the brim with content because you don't have to rewrite everything from the past game, is that narrative not valid anymore??

Like i said, if a massive open world can have 50 type of enemies (and not you run of the mill creature with 2 attacks and shitty animations) i think ragnarock can do the same now that we have 9 fucking realms to visit.

Severely disappointed was a bit too much, but like do you expect only 5 to 10 new enemies?? I expect much more.

It's not that hard to reach 50 different units if they use all the old enemies from gow 2018, i was not talking about 50 new enemy types.

Last edited:

Markio128

Pretty sure that hfw has more than 50 enemy types between dinobots and humans.

And dinobots are super complicated enemies to make and animate, if guerrilla can do that, santa monica can do the same with humanoid enemies and simple looking creatures, especially when ragnarock look the far more similar and safe sequel between the 2.

The time they saved in graphic and animations should be used to make more content as possible, from software style.

There is really no excuse to not have a gigantic enemy variety in this one.

I just checked, horizon has 43 different dinobots, if you add all the human enemies archetypes we go up to 50, so yeah nothing amusing in asking for that number of unique enemies in a modern game with a big ass budget and 4-5 years of development.

People said that the game having samey animation and graphic was good because now they can focus on filling the game to the brim with content because you don't have to rewrite everything from the past game, is that narrative not valid anymore??

Like i said, if a massive open world can have 50 type of enemies (and not you run of the mill creature with 2 attacks and shitty animations) i think ragnarock can do the same now that we have 9 fucking realms to visit.
I hear ya. I’m more for quality over quantity, but an equal mix of both is the dream.

DelireMan7

Having watched the video, I don’t think there is anything to worry about in that respect - there looks to be tons of different enemy types shown already and I’ve no doubt they are keeping quite a lot under wraps still. I’m most excited that they mentioned they have been inspired by some of the larger, epic boss battles in GOW 3.

Dis Gon B Gud GIF
Good to hear.

Also yes, the lack of epic battle was disappointing for me. Aside from the Stranger and a dragon, there was nothing on this side (so far, still have to finish it. I expect one last epic battle before the end)

GymWolf

I hear ya. I’m more for quality over quantity, but an equal mix of both is the dream.
Like i said, dinobots are probably some of the most complicated enemies to make in a videogame, they are pure quality material and they still managed to make 43 of them, plus the human enemies.

So yeah hfw has both quality and quantity enemy wise.

To be clear, i'm not talking about 50 new enemy types compared to gow 2018, i'm talking about 50 enemies total, so they can use all the old ones, horizon doesn't have 50 new dinobots neither, more like 25.

Markio128

Like i said, dinobots are probably some of the most complicated enemies to make in a videogame, they are pure quality material and they still managed to make 43 of them, plus the human enemies.

So yeah hfw has both quality and quantity enemy wise.

To be clear, i'm not talking about 50 new enemy types compared to gow 2018, i'm talking about 50 enemies total, so they can use all the old ones, horizon doesn't have 50 new dinobots neither, more like 25.
I can’t recall how many enemy types GOW 18 had. I think only the lack of big bosses stuck out for me.

GymWolf

I can’t recall how many enemy types GOW 18 had. I think only the lack of big bosses stuck out for me.
People talk shit about enemy variety in gow, but it was more a matter of re-using the trolls and the valkirie for multiple boss fights.

The game had already decent enemy variety imo, maybe not enough for what people called the gogt but people call botw the goat and that one has even less enemy variety.

The book inside the game where atreus write down every new enemy type has 71 entries, if you leave out all the super small different version of a single enemy and the color swaps you still have probably around 20-25 enemy types.

Many many games have less than that.

It felt like a big flaw because everything else was so high level and varied.

These are all the enemies entries in the diary

Last edited:

Markio128

People talk shit about enemy variety in gow, biput it was more a matter of reusing the trolls and the valkirie for multiple boss fights.

The game had already decent enemy variety.

The book inside the game where atreus write down every new enemy type has 71 entries, if you leave out all the super small different version of a single enemy and the color swaps you still have probably around 20-25 enemy types.

Many many games have less than that.

It felt like a big flaw because everything else was so high level and varied.
Yeah, the trolls were overused and I guess the Valkyrie fights were optional. I really enjoyed the fights with the gods, but they were nothing like the spectacle from GOW3. If the sequel can add a sprinkle of GOW 3 magic into the mix, it could be pretty special.

GymWolf

Yeah, the trolls were overused and I guess the Valkyrie fights were optional. I really enjoyed the fights with the gods, but they were nothing like the spectacle from GOW3. If the sequel can add a sprinkle of GOW 3 magic into the mix, it could be pretty special.
Valkirye were The best fights gameplay wise BY FAR.

Like baldur and the dragon were good set pieces but they were terrible bosses, only 3 moves and super easy to beat.

The valkirye felt like the real bosses of the game tbh.

I hope we have more of those type of enemies tbh, i'm not really a fanboy of gigantic set pieces that are extremely simple and shallow gameplay wise, i know it's a trademark of gow saga but i just don't find them THAT compelling.

I hope thor is gonna be more than just a spectacle fight, but something hard like a valkirye.

Last edited:

Markio128

Valkirye were The best fights gameplay wise BY FAR.

Like baldur and the dragon were good set pieces but they were terrible bosses, only 3 moves and super easy to beat.

The valkirye felt like the real bosses of the game tbh.

I hope we have more of those type of enemies tbh, i'm not really a fanboy of gigantic set pieces that are extremely simple and shallow gameplay wise, i know it's a trademark of gow saga but i just don't find them THAT compelling.

I hope thor is gonna be more than just a spectacle fight, but something hard like a valkirye.
The scorpion queen from GOW 3 was a highlight for me. Had Zelda vibes and was a bitch to beat.

I don’t understand the weird criticism of the 2018 game’s combat. Enemy variety? Sure.

But the combat in the previous game was solid for the most part, especially the a lot of the mechanics with the Leviathan Axe.

I don’t understand the weird criticism of the 2018 game’s combat. Enemy variety? Sure.

But the combat in the previous game was solid for the most part, especially the a lot of the mechanics with the Leviathan Axe.
Only true criticism is enemy variety.
Complain about combat being the same is just troll. Or they just don't know that they want.

Like people played more than 4,5 GOW games which basically have the same combat mechanic.

And now just 2nd game of a reboot series with better combat and people start complain about it?

Last edited:

43 dinobots

I dunno how many human enemies but the less said about them the better!

Yeah god of war enemies aren't as complex as Horizon so maybe I should demand more!

GymWolf

43 dinobots

I dunno how many human enemies but the less said about them the better!

Yeah god of war enemies aren't as complex as Horizon so maybe I should demand more!
Yep, it's not like i'm asking the moon, quite the opposite.

Guerrilla managed that in an open world where even the npcs are as detailed as aloy, and the number of npcs with sidequests in horizon is astronomically higher than ragnarock, the game is a technical marvel for being a crossgen and the new standard, there is no excuse for the other big AAA games to not have this huge amount of enemies, especially when combat is the main attraction.

Last edited:
Yep, it's not like i'm asking the moon, quite the opposite.

Guerrilla managed that in an open world where even the npcs are as detailed as aloy, and the number of npcs with sidequests in horizon is astronomically higher than ragnarock, the game is a technical marvel for being a crossgen and the new standard, there is no excuse for the other big AAA games to not have this huge amount of enemies, especially when combat is the main attraction.
Yeah totally agree.

Now let's chat about The Last of Us 2 enemy variety...

Joking aside enemy variety is probably my number 1 priority for action games these days. Its got to the point where certain settings I am not evenly slightly interested in because you just know your gonna be fighting the same boring enemies over and over.

All realistic settings I am basically done with beacuse I will be fighting dudes with guns or if I am lucky dude with swords.

You only 2 things that might change that are varied interesting A.I. ( not very likely) Or super satisfying game feel hit reactions etc. ( possible)

GymWolf

Yeah totally agree.

Now let's chat about The Last of Us 2 enemy variety...

Joking aside enemy variety is probably my number 1 priority for action games these days. Its got to the point where certain settings I am not evenly slightly interested in because you just know your gonna be fighting the same boring enemies over and over.

All realistic settings I am basically done with beacuse I will be fighting dudes with guns or if I am lucky dude with swords.

You only 2 things that might change that are varied interesting A.I. ( not very likely) Or super satisfying game feel hit reactions etc. ( possible)
That's basically why i enjoy playing stuff like tlou2 or rdr2 with their kinda non-existent enemy variety, gunplay feels so fucking good, too bad human combat sucks absolute ass in horizon, you would think that after killzone 2 they should have some of the best hit reactions\ragdoll on the market.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's basically why i enjoy playing stuff like tlou2 or rdr2 with their kinda non-existent enemy variety, gunplay feels so fucking good, too bad human combat sucks absolute ass in horizon, you would think that after killzone 2 they should have some of the best hit reactions\ragdoll on the market.
All those animation physics are saved for the dinobots. They look amazing as you're tearing them apart piece by piece.

GymWolf

Agreed, I miss those KZ2 ragdolls, probably a give and take thing with the open world and design budget on last gen CPUs. Hopefully we can see a return in games from them on this gen only.
The game has ragdoll, but it has to be the most rigid, unsatisfying ragdoll in the history of ragdoll.

but really everything related to human combat pretty much sucks in horizon.

I might misremember, but in GOW 1-3 the gory parts were... the scripted finishers?
For sure, but in 3 for instance, kratos would get covered in blood, regular attacks on enemies would make them bleed, things like that.

I'd also say GOW2018 probably had less in brutality than the previous games as well. Everyone posts the dogbeast getting it's jaw ripped, but gory finishers like that were more of an exception than the norm. I also think the magma or whatever a lot of the enemies seemed to be filled with probably contributed to it feeling less gory and brutal as the previous games too.

Isnt it a bit weird to show people’s sensitive info? Also I don’t think this person was in the video
This is a picture of someone's face, this is not like he gave her phone # or anything.

Anyway, back on topic, the combat is amazIng in this game! There are tons of enemy types (that are actually different from each others, not just re-skins).

Top Bottom