• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök - Combat and Enemies Elevated | PS4, PS5

Draugoth

Gold Member

We’re heading to Alfheim, land of the elves, for Episode 2 of the God of War Ragnarök Behind the Scenes series. This episode will explore how the team at Santa Monica Studio is elevating the fluid and expressive combat of God of War Ragnarök, as well as the importance of building a unique, memorable, and varied cast of enemies for players to test their skill against. God of War Ragnarök is coming to PS4 and PS5 on November 9th!

Last edited by a moderator:

drotahorror

Let's see that gore...

Honestly it's so tame and hardly noticeable. I guess they were really just talking about the activated finishers. If there weren't crazy weapon effects going off on every hit, you would think you're basically smacking paper with your axe/blades.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Good Food Eating GIF by Bounce

The video is good, but I think it's weird to not include the combat designers of the game. Why they are the animators and VFX artists are talking about combat intention? Probably they are all white dudes - it's a mystery.
Anyways, combat feels the same as GOW 2018 and that's good. I do prefer the previous treatment of Kratos - he was a pure rage. In GOW'18 he is telling to Atreus "Stay calm. Control your emotions" in the cinematic and releases the spartan rage in gameplay the next second.

Let's see that gore...

Honestly it's so tame and hardly noticeable. I guess they were really just talking about the activated finishers. If there weren't crazy weapon effects going off on ever hit, you would think you're basically smacking paper with your axe/blades.
It's pretty obvious the game will have a toggle to have more or less gore and these trailers have that gore off...probably so that these videos can be for everyone, dunno.

edit: just watched the video. this game has so much more verticality than the last one...seriously! The Blades of Chaos have some nice cool moves as well!

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
The video is good, but I think it's weird to not include the combat designers of the game. Why they are the animators and VFX artists are talking about combat intention? Probably they are all white dudes - it's a mystery.
Anyways, combat feels the same as GOW 2018 and that's good. I do prefer the previous treatment of Kratos - he was a pure rage. In GOW'18 he is telling to Atreus "Stay calm. Control your emotions" in the cinematic and releases the spartan rage in gameplay the next second.
oaXOFlW.png

GymWolf

Let's see that gore...

Honestly it's so tame and hardly noticeable. I guess they were really just talking about the activated finishers. If there weren't crazy weapon effects going off on ever hit, you would think you're basically smacking paper with your axe/blades.
Yeah, it's 2022 and devs still don't understand how semi-real time wounds when you hit something add to how visceral the game look.

You would think that a god of war game should be like the leader in this type of stuff (other than tlou 2)

Why the fuck very few games have this?? Is it so hard to implement?

The finishers look great tho.

Last edited:

drotahorror

It's pretty obvious the game will have a toggle to have more or less gore and these trailers have that gore off...probably so that these videos can be for everyone, dunno.

edit: just watched the video. this game has so much more verticality than the last one...seriously! The Blades of Chaos have some nice cool moves as well!

A gore toggle is not obvious at all. No god of war game has ever had a toggle has it?

It’s a mature rated game why would they tone the gore down for trailers? The violence was part of kratos’ identity in the old games. It’s expected at this point.

A gore toggle is not obvious at all. No god of war game has ever had a toggle has it?

It’s a mature rated game why would they tone the gore down for trailers? The violence was part of kratos’ identity in the old games. It’s expected at this point.
I thought 2018 had that? But maybe i'm wrong here.

Well most previews talk about how the gore is there...so we just gotta wait and play the game.

The game will presumably be rated M, so I don't think this really makes much sense. I think the game is just not particularly gory outside of the scripted finishers. I'm not too upset because everything else about the game sounds great, but I do wish they would have upped the gore from the last one.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The person quoted in the picture isnt in the video so this feels like just leaking someone’s identity to the masses. Maybe not everyone wants that
I generally refrain from commenting on how people look or whatever... but she was definitely in the video. Hard to miss, which was the point.

Top Bottom