• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

A.Romero

Beat my second playthrough on GMGOW last night and you get a couple of cool shield unlocks.

I instantly equipped this.

bVFYrSU.jpg

How are shields obtained? I've only got the regular one and the pre order bonus one. I finished the campaign and I'm almost done with the Valkiries.

From the description it seems like guard is unbreakable with this shield. Sounds cool.

Just finished the game. I'm kind of bummed that I got spoiled on a very key detail in the end, but surprisingly the game kept me guessing nonetheless. The gameplay is terrific, the graphics are stunning, the world building is unreal, you do walk a fucking lot but I don't know it never felt tiresome. It did lose a bit of steam when:

Atreus was acting cocky. That was the sole low point on the game and his character shift bordered on stupid.

But it picked up right after it and never let down again. This is my favorite western game this gen and I honestly didn't think any game would top The Witcher 3. And this is a game I thought I wouldn't like. Incredible. I fucking love videogames man.

Geki-D

Banned
How are shields obtained? I've only got the regular one and the pre order bonus one. I finished the campaign and I'm almost done with the Valkiries.

From the description it seems like guard is unbreakable with this shield. Sounds cool.
It seems the only shields you can get in the game are those 2 for beating GMGOW. Pretty sure they have no special attributes, just decoration.

TimFL

I got all collectibles now, only things left for me are:
- The 3 keys for the last Muspelheim trial -> done now
- The Valkyre queen... I tried her a few times and I could barely get her down to 3/4th of her health... ugh..
- That Niflhem (?) workshop, got all but 1 chest and then the 3 rifts to close. Should be pretty straight forward with 5k mist per run

Last edited:
I completed the main storyline the other day (and very good it was too), so now I'm mopping up the additional content - collecting collectibles, taking on the Valkyries etc.

When is the best time to run through Niflheim and Muspelheim? Right now, after the main story and before any more enemy encounters or later on when I'm a bit more levelled up (I'm currently Level 5, nearly Level 6).

TimFL

I completed the main storyline the other day (and very good it was too), so now I'm mopping up the additional content - collecting collectibles, taking on the Valkyries etc.

When is the best time to run through Niflheim and Muspelheim? Right now, after the main story and before any more enemy encounters or later on when I'm a bit more levelled up (I'm currently Level 5, nearly Level 6).
Well Niflheim & Muspelheim are the places you probably have to go to get level 7-8 and they are both required to 100% your weapons. I'd start with Niflheim for the armor sets, followed by Muspelheim (Muspelheim is a breeze with a full Niflheim armor set). Once you got one of the Niflheim armor sets complete you should be looking at level 7-8, depending on how many upgrades you got.

All I need left for the platinum is that one annoying
Valkyrie queen, I can't seem to finish her cause I am a greedy player by nature: always trying to sneak one more combo or runic attack in.. I almost had her, 1 more hit for that R3 prompt but she got me with a wing slash and ever since I can only get her down to roughly 1/4th with loads of luck...

Well Niflheim & Muspelheim are the places you probably have to go to get level 7-8 and they are both required to 100% your weapons. I'd start with Niflheim for the armor sets, followed by Muspelheim (Muspelheim is a breeze with a full Niflheim armor set). Once you got one of the Niflheim armor sets complete you should be looking at level 7-8, depending on how many upgrades you got.

Valkyrie queen, I can't seem to finish her cause I am a greedy player by nature: always trying to sneak one more combo or runic attack in.. I almost had her, 1 more hit for that R3 prompt but she got me with a wing slash and ever since I can only get her down to roughly 1/4th with loads of luck...
Many thanks!

WaterAstro

If you're frustrated, remember you can get Platinum even on easy difficulty lol.

TimFL

If you're frustrated, remember you can get Platinum even on easy difficulty lol.
Ouch that hurt. I did play on the Story/easy difficulty cause I‘m not the gamer I used to be anymore (barely time to play etc.) and I struggled heavily with that fight. I finally beat the boss and got the platinum though, the winning strategy was changing my armor set to a runic attck focused one (had my cooldowns down to 30s ish which allowed me to chain them 24/7).

Is there any SP DLC planned? I am in need of HDD space for Detroit on friday and I usually never replay games after grabbing the platinum (usually means I have enough of them).

Man the last Valkyrie battle kicked my ass. Was she really that hard or I'm getting slow? It took me a good 2 hours to beat that motherfucker. She had a couple of attacks I often couldn't tell apart.

I did beat her before beating the game so maybe I could have been wearing better gear. But it was a legit tense fight and I appreciate the effort by the devs to get it right.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

So, I am surmising all those glass diamond doors I can open are just very difficult challenge rooms?
I was at the part where you go back to the mountain and opened one and it had the elevator so I just said NOPE.
I'll wait until the end if ever. I'm glad people like the challenge but it is just cheese to me, at least at my level.
I'm smoking through everything in front of me in the regular game and this thing comes and one hits me by flying around.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

I am getting toward the end of the story and just unlocked the Niflheim Realm. I love this realm. I won't spoil it, but the way it is designed, you get a great balance of being rewarded for your efforts in upgrading your character with some real challenges that have nice rewards. I just hit level 6 on my character, and I am finding the early part challenging but (mostly) doable.

Dimorphic

Will like to play as
Faye
with the leviathan axe in prequel DLC.

Yes PLEASE!

Honestly the challenge realms and Valkyrie fights don’t interest me too much so I’m not sure I’ll ever do them but more story would be welcomed with open arms.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Finally finished it today. Wow, what a game. I had nothing really spoiled and I love how they leave the lore and chars intact for sequels. 10/10

Grinchy

Banned
It took way longer than it should have, but I finally beat the game. Damn, did this game just ooze quality. As far as the story content, nothing felt rushed or purposelessly extended. Just great pacing all the way through. The ending was really nice as well. They really nailed it.

Zimmy68

Did I finish the game?
Without spoiling, is the story over when the credits roll or are they dekeing me? I feel like there is something left to do.

nowhat

Did I finish the game?
Without spoiling, is the story over when the credits roll or are they dekeing me? I feel like there is something left to do.
You can explore the world, and there may be more content unlocked then. But the game strongly suggests you to
go home - there's a fast travel point open for it
I missed that too initially, but judging from the spoiler interviews this was an intentional design decision.

Last edited:

DonF

Did I finish the game?
I mean, there are some things you can do now, but the main story is done. Did you give kratos a rest?

Horns

I finished it last night. It's a great game, far better than any of the previous GoW games IMO. It was a lot longer than I thought it would be.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have read that there is no DLC planned for this, but I do hope with strong sales that they reconsider like they did for Horizon Zero Dawn.

I think a fun DLC would be a dream sequence that takes place in Sparta where you fight Ares again.

Of course there is so much left to explore in the Norse universe.

bitbydeath

Finally finished it.

Complaints-

-The ending was a bit flat, didn’t expect it to end when it did.

-Barely any gore

-They stuffed too much in the first realm, leaving little else for the others.

-Lack of boss fights.

Positives-

Everything else really...

+Combat, very satisfying, Atreus was implemented really well.

+Story, I’m including boat stories in this and general talk between characters was great.

+Puzzles, although not Uncharted good.

Overall fantastic game, can finally move onto Detroit now.

bigedole

So this is on sale again on PSN this week, 30 for digital deluxe version and 24 for the regular game. I'm thinking of jumping in! I'm not generally a huge fan of hack and slash with intricate timings and all that, probably just slap on the easiest difficulty and enjoy a well made game.

Mista

Banned
So this is on sale again on PSN this week, 30 for digital deluxe version and 24 for the regular game. I'm thinking of jumping in! I'm not generally a huge fan of hack and slash with intricate timings and all that, probably just slap on the easiest difficulty and enjoy a well made game.
Yes go for it. You don’t want to miss this masterpiece believe me, especially if you played previous titles

Mista

Banned
Anyone got the platinum trophy received an email from Sony? It’s the third time I get jack shit when everybody apparently gets them

Anyone got the platinum trophy received an email from Sony? It’s the third time I get jack shit when everybody apparently gets them
I think it gets filtered by ad-blockers. When that happens you can just contact customer support. They have an online chat which tends to be the easiest way to get in contact. Did that once for Horizon's plat, took about 5 minutes.

Mista

Banned
I think it gets filtered by ad-blockers. When that happens you can just contact customer support. They have an online chat which tends to be the easiest way to get in contact. Did that once for Horizon's plat, took about 5 minutes.
Thanks for the tip I’ll try that. I got my Horizon one too

LordOfChaos

Is there a way to check which Muspelheim Cipher Pieces I have? I got 3/4 on the way through the main quest, if it's possible I'd rather avoid having to check every spot as I don't remember which ones I found

Starting my New+ run with this. I beat it the first time on hard. Tried New+ Hard but it was way too difficult. What is asking is Medium+ the second go around more difficult than regular hard mode?

GametimeUK

Does anyone else here miss the old style games? I really dislike the camera angle in 2018. The fact holding down makes Kratos walk backwards instead of turn to face the camera is so weird in a combat game.

Even though I enjoyed God of War 2018 (liked it, didn't love it) I could appreciate that it was a change that needed to happen as I thought God of War had become stale... but then I played Ascension for the first time ever which I've had since launch but never played due to franchise fatigue and I enjoyed it more than 2018.

I dunno I just miss classic God of War.

nowhat

Holy necrobump Batman!

...but GDC talks are released sometimes years after the fact, and I thought this might be of interest to some:

It's about the difficulties in adapting to a whole new kind of play style while retaining the original feel. Whether it was successful is debatable/subjective, but it's all very high level stuff, no technical expertise required to keep up with the talk.

Top Bottom