• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War has reportedly sold at least 1 million copies on PC

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Port coping is getting way more annoying than port begging. For every post of someone saying “please bring x game to x platform” there are 5 posts detailing Sonys 30 step plan to convert PC players to PS plus subscribers and how long they should wait in between console releases and ports.

splattered

Port coping is getting way more annoying than port begging. For every post of someone saying “please bring x game to x platform” there are 5 posts detailing Sonys 30 step plan to convert PC players to PS plus subscribers and how long they should wait in between console releases and ports.

I was about to say the same thing. People sticking everything they can in the wall of the dam trying to hold back the flood of 1st party Sony games that are gonna start dropping day and date hahaha ... Can't argue with success and $$$ Sony are finally seeing in the PC market.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I beat GOW in a day and beat all the valks the next day trying to find anything i missed.
you have 37 hours in and roughly half the trophies. Most people a couple of hours a day. Saying you beat it in a day doesn’t diminish its value if that’s what you’re going for.
I don't mind waiting
Good. But all your posts and the other port begging posts prove otherwise. Constantly posting about something is not patiently waiting.
it’s almost like one wouldnt happen without the other. Isn’t that the definition of trolling?
There’s a last of us pc post right up there. Why?

Thanks, not seeing where he's shitting on PC though, he's even praising it in some of the posts you quoted.
I'm giving him shit. rofif rofif and I have a love hate relationship. We both know it. Or at least I do. He should know though. Love you buddy. 😘 😉 😜

Yeah I don't understand that behavior. Sony doesn't give a damn about anyone of us, they only care about what's in our pockets. If they want the most ROI, putting games on PC was a big hit. It'll be even bigger when day and date releases come out.

you have 37 hours in and roughly half the trophies. Most people a couple of hours a day. Saying you beat it in a day doesn’t diminish its value if that’s what you’re going for.

Good. But all your posts and the other port begging posts prove otherwise. Constantly posting about something is not patiently waiting.

it’s almost like one wouldnt happen without the other. Isn’t that the definition of trolling?
I leave the game running when i go out. Fell asleep a few times. Etc. Realistic play time is probably under 20 hours.

I never cared to get a ps4 to play the game, I'm not going to get a ps4/5 to play the sequel. I'll wait for the best edition to come to PC, whenever that is. Same with HDZ and it's sequel. Haven't completed the first one yet.

Look man, I have over 500 games on steam alone. My completion rate is like ~20%. I play games as they come. That how most PC players are. We're not itching for the next game, as we have so many to play. Whenever the next GoW comes to PC, I'll buy it and play it. Same with the rest of their games. If I was dying to play them, I would own a ps4, wouldn't I??

Haggard

Banned
I beat GOW in a day and beat all the valks the next day trying to find anything i missed. I don't mind waiting for the next one on PC. It's not a game you can hop on everyday to pay with your homies.
The playtime you are sporting there and supposedly accumulated in just a few days is more than most adults can put towards gaming in a month :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The sales are well deserved. Great game and a solid port (albeit with some annoyances).

I also appreciate that Sony keeps the price reasonable, and that they just have a three-second intro and you're into the game. No mess, no fuss, no sign-in, no store, no dividing up the game - just 'Here's your single-player game. Enjoy.' Contrast that with the bullshit IOI just pulled with Hitman 3's steam release.

Amiga

that's like a bonus $50 Million. on track to hit $100 million and beyond.
Sony need to look at the potential of a full PSN store on PC with cross buy.

tvdaXD

I haven't tried the last patch yet, but I hope they fixed the memory leak issue. Other than that, the game is amazing and I hope Sony releases Ragnarok sooner after release for PC as well.

The Alien

Banned
Great news.

Game looked great years ago on my base PS4. Can't imagine how insane this would look on absolute max settings.

Lognor

Banned
Yea, fanboys will be quick to jump on that and overlook the fact that this was a TINY core team working on this for the most part. Probably didn't cost much at all to port this game, considering that. They're probably going to make a 30-40x ROI on this game for this game over the life of the product.

Sony knows full well that this is a different platform and that they are going to have to build a solid rapport with PC gamers to build up their franchises on the platform. What they will be looking for is continued growth for sequels to games being released.. ie Horizon 2 and Ragnarok.. and it seems to me that they are putting in the work now to ensure that porting is as easy as possible for future games. It's important to remember that games like Horizon ZD, and God of War were completely created and authored around the specific console hardware. These ports and Sony's new push into PC gaming means that games like Horizon 2 and God of War Ragnarok will likely have introduced pipeline changes in how they build and approach different development issues. Thus making it easier for the teams porting the games in the future.

I think it's fairly clear right now with the information out there, that Jetpack Interactive is quite ingrained with Sony Santa Monica now, and that they have simultaneously been doing a lot of the initial work alongside SSM on Ragnarok to help make the porting process easier in the future.
Can you source your claim that it was a TINY core team working on the project? I googled it and no article I've seen about the two years of development mentioned a "TINY core team." Would love to see some more details about this. IT does sound like for the most part the port was handled by Jetpack Interactive, with Santa Monica Studios mostly overseeing it. A google search shows that Jetpack has 23 employees, but not sure how many of those are developers. Then you add in the help from Santa Monica Studios and I don't how many you had working on this game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PC will factor into game sales and outside of Nintendo games (no doubt hackers can get Nintendo games via emulators but that's a whole other thread) exclusives are no longer a "thing" I support this because more gamers get to experience amazing games but this pains fanboys seeing their games beyond the original system.

Lognor

Banned
PC will factor into game sales and outside of Nintendo games (no doubt hackers can get Nintendo games via emulators but that's a whole other thread) exclusives are no longer a "thing" I support this because more gamers get to experience amazing games but this pains fanboys seeing their games beyond the original system.
I would not be surprised if Nintendo doesn't start porting some games to PC. They've had a number of exclusive third party games that have gone to PC (MHR, Octopath Traveler, etc.). And those games have sold very well on the Switch so maybe Nintendo realizes that porting games to PC will not hurt Switch sales? Plus, they are already losing money because it's relatively easy to emulate Switch games on PC. Nintendo is stubborn and slow to respond, so maybe in 5-10 years we see the first Nintendo game on PC.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

5 years ago I would agree that asking for last of us on PC is trolling, but now God of War and Uncharted are on Steam. Sony bought a PC porting studio. The war is over and port beggars won yet you have fanboys out here twisting themself in a pretzel to convince everyone that TLOU or whatever will never get ported.

yurinka

I would not be surprised if Nintendo doesn't start porting some games to PC. They've had a number of exclusive third party games that have gone to PC (MHR, Octopath Traveler, etc.). And those games have sold very well on the Switch so maybe Nintendo realizes that porting games to PC will not hurt Switch sales? Plus, they are already losing money because it's relatively easy to emulate Switch games on PC. Nintendo is stubborn and slow to respond, so maybe in 5-10 years we see the first Nintendo game on PC.
The amount of money that a console platform holder pays to 3rd party publisher for an exclusive is bigger or smaller depending on if it's a total or timed exclusive, if it's a full or console exclusive.

They realized that PC doesn't really negatively affect them, and the 3rd party publishers prefer to publish the games in the biggest amount places possible to get the biggest amount of revenue possible, so MS, Sony and Nintendo now typically sign console exclusives instead of full exclusives: they don't care if that game gets also released on PC. In the same way, they also realized that timed exclusives are practically as PR/marketing effective for them than total exclusives, so many of these 3rd party exclusives for MS, Sony and Nintendo are timed, they don't care if the publisher some time later ports the game to other consoles.

But, it's still important to continue having full exclusives that only can be played on a specific console, because exclusives are one of the biggest selling points of the consoles, so for that reason Nintendo and Sony keep some games exclusive forever. Sony and Nintendo are killing it with their current strategy, so I think Nintendo will continue not releasing their games on PC, and Sony will continue porting only some old games, instead of all their catalog and day one.

Can you source your claim that it was a TINY core team working on the project? I googled it and no article I've seen about the two years of development mentioned a "TINY core team." Would love to see some more details about this. IT does sound like for the most part the port was handled by Jetpack Interactive, with Santa Monica Studios mostly overseeing it. A google search shows that Jetpack has 23 employees, but not sure how many of those are developers. Then you add in the help from Santa Monica Studios and I don't how many you had working on this game.
' Four engineers at Jetpack handled primary development of the port, with DeWald serving as producer and other Santa Monica members like Pavlin (UX/UI designer for the related controls and UI additions and changes) making additional contributions.'
https://www.theverge.com/22883541/god-of-war-pc-port-interview

Last edited:

FrankWza

5 years ago I would agree that asking for last of us on PC is trolling, but now God of War and Uncharted are on Steam. Sony bought a PC porting studio. The war is over and port beggars won yet you have fanboys out here twisting themself in a pretzel to convince everyone that TLOU or whatever will never get ported.
Or, since it’s so inevitable and matter of a fact, don’t even mention it in a GoW pc thread? Just wait for the last of us pc thread when it releases and post there.
See? No problem. Cause and effect.

Sure, no problem.

Digital Foundry: When did the porting process begin? And who is working on it, Sony Santa Monica, as well as Jetpack?

Matt DeWald: So, we've actually been working on this for a while, but it started kind of slow to begin with. It just started as like, "Hey, can we even do this? Do we have the technical expertise? How do we work together? blah, blah, blah." So, there's a lot of interstitial work that needs to happen just to figure that out. It's probably been about two years of total work, but with a very small crew - there's a team of four at Jetpack that have been doing the primary engineering efforts. And they're almost all engineering efforts, there's been a little bit of assistance from internal, just where things are, "Hey, how does this work? Where is this thing placed?" and then internal Santa Monica, myself leading the project from a production standpoint, but then mostly, it's just QA support, and then tapping different individuals to help fix bugs that may have existed on PC. So, it's a very small team that we've tried to produce this with. Keep it lean and mean.

So basically 4-5 core people from Jetpack, plus some SSM people providing feedback and QA.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ewwww, playing 3rd person action games with KBM? I guess for the axe throwing it could help a little, but I never had any issues doing that on a controller, and beyond that KBM sounds awful.

But cool that more people get to experience this awesome game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Ewwww, playing 3rd person action games with KBM? I guess for the axe throwing it could help a little, but I never had any issues doing that on a controller, and beyond that KBM sounds awful.

But cool that more people get to experience this awesome game.
I play everything that isn't an FPS with a controller on PC.

Steam supports Xbox, Switch, PS4, PS5, and "generic USB" aka every controller with a USB cord.
Great news if true.

Pity it probably shifted 10 million on Torrents at the same time.
Biggest western site has 151 seeders. Biggest Russian tracker has 1663 seeders. Mostly a non-issue.

Yoboman

Steam supports Xbox, Switch, PS4, PS5, and "generic USB" aka every controller with a USB cord.

Biggest western site has 151 seeders. Biggest Russian tracker has 1663 seeders. Mostly a non-issue.
I believe the bigger torrent sites are private invite and have way bigger seeder counts than what you'd find on public torrent sites

Then again I havent used a torrent in about a decade so it could be different now

Brofist

Talking about possible ports was really only ever looked down on when the actual game discussion of a game would get sidetracked by people discussing them. In a topic like this it seems fair game though since if falls in line with the topic.
Great news if true.

Pity it probably shifted 10 million on Torrents at the same time.
That's probably a major exaggeration. I doubt piracy would have anymore of an effect on sales numbers than used game sales on consoles. And I'm guessing secondhand sales of GoW on PS consoles was high.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Of course Steam supports controllers. My post was a reaction to the OP saying GoW works well with KBM.

Kerotan

Think the game will sell about 2-3 million copy's in total at the end i would say. Game did well on PC.
Nice little money spinner for sony. Will only make the sequels launch more hyped on playstation and the money from this probably pays for the sequel.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I believe the bigger torrent sites are private invite and have way bigger seeder counts than what you'd find on public torrent sites

Then again I havent used a torrent in about a decade so it could be different now
Yeah you're right. Checked "The #1 private tracker" and it has 3889 seeders, and 12,157 downloads across 3 different torrent files.

Still not the problem people are making it out to be.

RavionUHD

Game sold 5 Million times on the PS4 in the first month, so when o
It sells around 2.5 million in the first month an PC nearly 4 years after release, that would be absolutely great!

darrylgorn

Sony can earn more money
PC players get to enjoy the game
Playstation owners are happy because they believe PC players will buy a PS5 after playing the games

Pretty sure most Playstation owners wouldn't go through that much effort to even consider it.

It would be pretty disturbing if they did.

Last edited:

Three

Sony can earn more money
PC players get to enjoy the game
Playstation owners are happy because they believe PC players will buy a PS5 after playing the games
I get why games releasing on PC is good. I mean how is Ragnarok all but confirmed, it's not at all.

Javthusiast

Banned
Why release day and date if you can get some people to also double dip for a higher price than the game is currently on consoles?

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

PhaseJump

Banned
I only gave PS4 God of War a few hours and bounced off of it. It was in my backlog, I picked it back up this week and now after a few more hours of actually getting into it, I just bought the PC version.

I also double dipped on HZD.

Take my money, Jimbo.

Use it to redesign the PS5, and beg forgiveness off of the entire human race for approving that ugly design in the first place.

tenor.gif

I think if you want to have a guarantee of being able to play these games day one a PS5 will be a good option. I don’t know when Sony will release games on all platforms on the same day but I haven’t seen any do that yet. Doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen but it might not be soon.

Top Bottom