• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War generated half billion in revenue for Sony, Horizon Zero Dawn hit 400M

zwiggelbig

its crazy how little money this is compared to gaas games. Even genshin impact made almost more money already. The fuck..

Tmack

The only argument is that Digital Sales cost the same as Physical Sales, and I wholeheartedly agree digital versions should be $10 to $20 cheaper.

While It`s true, this is one of the reasons we ended this gen with better games that cost a lot more to produce costing less when adjusted for inflation.

When costs go up you have 3 choices to break even

I) Sell a lot more to dilute your costs;
II) Reduce other costs;
III) Increase your price.

The "Evil" companies made an incredible job on point I and II, thats why we have much cheaper games (adjusted for inflation) than in the eighties. Thanks to those "evil" folks, we, as consumers, have a much better experience for a lot less.

And those 80`s games more ofter than not were cheapo software made in someones dorm room that todays would cost you almost a 100!

Amiga

one more thing, Sony dose do GaaS. games like LBP, Dreams, GT Sport and the upcoming Destruction AllStars. this is proof you don't have to choose one over the other.

I have absolutely no problem with paying €70 for a JRPG or VN.

And if you don't want to spend that just wait a few months. Sony isn't Nintendo: they have sales.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dear God...

We've come to the point where Returnal doesn't look $70 dollars worthy...but N64 games were $70 dollars in 1996.

Gamers are insane.

Alfen Dave

These are big budget Hollywood blockbuster numbers. Games have come a long way.

games have been making bilions since Forever, just not in straight physical sales

WOW, Minecraft and Fortnite have generated bilions just in premium contents, dlc,etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And yet games are way cheaper nowadays than they were back in the 90's. 2010 data: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/10/an-inconvenient-truth-game-prices-have-come-down-with-time/

Also interesting, a $50 PS1 game (normal price at the time) would cost almost $90 ($87.80).

So you can be salty all you want, but games are factually cheaper than in the 90's. Also, the increase by Sony was $10, correct?

2013 PS4 games at $69.99 = $78.18 in today's dollars. They are selling them at a $1.78 Premium while investing more and more.

The only argument is that Digital Sales cost the same as Physical Sales, and I wholeheartedly agree digital versions should be $10 to $20 cheaper.

Also, I used USD, but feel free to use your local currency.

Sauce for inflation: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
Using inflation to say stuff is cheaper nowadays is not the most accurate way to gauge consumer spending power. Because wages dont grow at the same rate as inflation and neither does the price of goods. By that logic, the price of a $2 gallon of milk in 1990 should be double now, but as we both know thats not how it works.

games make more money now than they ever have. you have direct to consumer selling bypassing retailers and even distribution costs. you have microtransactions that net EA a billion from fifa alone every year. its just greed to charge $70 when they are already making back the $18 on over half of the copies they already sell.

Top Bottom