• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Director Explains Why There Will Only Be Two Games in the Norse Saga

YukiOnna

Why does there need to be something after Norse? From a story perspective (not from what you want, or from additional sales standpoint)?
People asking probably because 2 other pantheons were blatantly teased in the 2018 game and the bridging comic foreshadowed one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The idea you need 40 hours to tell a story about two characters is something that really only exists in video games. I'm glad to hear they won't be dragging it out... but, if they go the Game of Thrones Season 8 route, and cram four seasons into one convoluted mess... might not be good either. I'm sure they'll find the balance.
It may perhaps surprise you but most gamers expect long streteches of game play between the story exposition. If you want to enjoy just the story in 2 hours, don't play games, watch a movie.

KAL2006

Banned
God of War is one of the best games I played last generation.

Since the cross gen news I have been very dissapointed in the game.

But since this news my hype has gone up a bit. God of War Norse hasn't been around enough to get stale like Greek God of War games, so actually I don't mind more of the same. With this being the last game on Norse then it should be action packed with more boss variety. A 3rd game in the Norse universe the staleness will start kicking for me, so a 2 partner is perfect. The fact that it's cross gen I'm hoping we now get why more variety in the game with enemies, areas etc. Basically the foundation is set, now it's more about refining. Then once this game is done the next God of War can be a new mythology with a next gen only PS5 release.

GymWolf

Hope Loki dies in this one. The next batch of GOW games should be Kratos going back to his angry roots and just fuck shit up in Egypt. And kill like 20 gods in the first game. Wouldxreaölly like a brutal and gory game with the new combat system.
You can already forget that dude, calm kratos is the new kratos, we are lucky if they don't kill him in ragnarock...

Last edited:

borborygmus

I don't understand how people so readily accept that we're just going to go through all the available mythologies like a checklist. The original games weren't "the Greek games;" they were just set in Greece. To take things to Scandinavia after the seemingly conclusive original storyline was an interesting pivot to revive the series and it ended up being good in spite of the contrivance, although it was not a given that they'd be able to pull it off. But if it's just going to devolve into "Kratos travels the world," that is very uninteresting to me and I'd rather they just made a new IP.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Hope Loki dies in this one. The next batch of GOW games should be Kratos going back to his angry roots and just fuck shit up in Egypt. And kill like 20 gods in the first game. Wouldxreaölly like a brutal and gory game with the new combat system.
You seem like a calm and reasonable person. Are you a calm and reasonable person?

Yoboman

I don't understand how people so readily accept that we're just going to go through all the available mythologies like a checklist. The original games weren't "the Greek games;" they were just set in Greece. To take things to Scandinavia after the seemingly conclusive original storyline was an interesting pivot to revive the series and it ended up being good in spite of the contrivance, although it was not a given that they'd be able to pull it off. But if it's just going to devolve into "Kratos travels the world," that is very uninteresting to me and I'd rather they just made a new IP.
They've literally laid the ground work for it

For them not to visit more mythologies would be a major cocktease

YukiOnna

I don't understand how people so readily accept that we're just going to go through all the available mythologies like a checklist. The original games weren't "the Greek games;" they were just set in Greece. To take things to Scandinavia after the seemingly conclusive original storyline was an interesting pivot to revive the series and it ended up being good in spite of the contrivance. But if it's just going to devolve into "Kratos travels the world," that is very uninteresting to me and I'd rather they just made a new IP.
Talks of Kratos traveling to different mythologies was there since Jaffe has been around IIRC. Putting aside the teases within the game itself, Barlog indicated he has a pretty clear vision for the overall story of the new GoW and where it takes Kratos and Atreus. In the Documentary, he also mentioned multiple times how they were this close to doing Egypt and even had worked out how the teaser would open. From GoW 2018, it is pretty clear the plot would not devolve into something simple like that. It could end for good with this game, but them specifying the Norse Saga says otherwise.

EDMIX

Watch us find out they really do have a 3rd game planned and they are just trolling to have that EPIC reveal of part 3 lol

Would not shock me if he is simply saying this to have that surprise reveal.

borborygmus

They've literally laid the ground work for it

For them not to visit more mythologies would be a major cocktease

Talks of Kratos traveling to different mythologies was there since Jaffe has been around IIRC. Putting aside the teases within the game itself, Barlog indicated he has a pretty clear vision for the overall story of the new GoW and where it takes Kratos and Atreus. In the Documentary, he also mentioned multiple times how they were this close to doing Egypt and even had worked out how the teaser would open. From GoW 2018, it is pretty clear the plot would not devolve into something simple like that. It could end for good with this game, but them specifying the Norse Saga says otherwise.
Be that as it may, Kratos was almost cut from the Norse saga for obvious and intuitive reasons that are similar to my reasons for not finding it interesting for Kratos to appear in other mythologies. I'm of the opinion that they had their work cut out for them to make the contrivance of a Greek god showing up in Scandinavia work and pulling it off was quite an achievement, but the prospect of just doing that again with a checklist of other mythologies seems kind of rote and not really an interesting twist anymore.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the God of War IP being used for different mythologies, but they should be entirely different timelines from the Kratos games.

N30RYU

I think Thor is gonna be down mid game since looks like the Mjölnir is like the Axe and looks like Kratos will be able to wield it and upgrade it

YukiOnna

Be that as it may, Kratos was almost cut from the Norse saga for obvious and intuitive reasons that are similar to my reasons for not finding it interesting for Kratos to appear in other mythologies. I'm of the opinion that they had their work cut out for them to make the contrivance of a Greek god showing up in Scandinavia work and pulling it off was quite an achievement, but the prospect of just doing that again with a checklist of other mythologies seems kind of rote and not really an interesting twist anymore.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the God of War IP being used for different mythologies, but they should be entirely different timelines from the Kratos games.
Yeah they had a lot of discussions due to the disappointment that was Ascension. I'm personally against the idea of changing the protagonist in an established series so I'm glad they didn't. That aside though, they definitely had a lot of work cut out for them to the point they changed the entire story style and narrative approach to God of War. It's almost nothing like the original trilogy outside of continuing certain plot points. We're just going to have to see where they go with the end of Ragnarok and what they introduce. Who knows if there's a greater importance to having all these pantheons slain or their nations rid of Gods, having one of the antagonists here bleed into the next saga would also be a good move.

Shut0wen

Wait didnt the first game come out in 2019? Surely without covid this game would of came out the end of this year or early last year which means like all trilogies it would of taken 9 maybe 10 years of development, 15 is far fetched, could understand if the team are getting tired of making god of war though, this will be like the 6th title they have made

Yoboman

Those sorts of discussions were before the reboot. The franchise and Kratos is definitely fresher and healthier than ever

As somebody who was hoping they'd abandon Kratos and go to a new mythology, and was then sceptical about his return before 2018, right now I 100% only want Kratos story to continue. No new character, no Atreus.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

When your story has so much emotional tug to them it makes sense to not stretch a story for 15 years, thats really a lot.

They can explore Norse later as standalone game with "boy" as mc on. PS6, and people will hate it

Batman & Robin, Spiderman 3, Amazing Spiderman 2...Hollywood is filled with examples of them trying to cram too many villains in and it all imploding. You'd think they'd have learned some restraint by now.
The God of War games are all filled with countless encounters with "major" and minor god/vilains in a couple of hours... We don't need to know each character's complete life story, especially in a video game, we mostly need to know that there is an obstacle between Kratos and Odin (Santa Claus).

Those sorts of discussions were before the reboot. The franchise and Kratos is definitely fresher and healthier than ever

As somebody who was hoping they'd abandon Kratos and go to a new mythology, and was then sceptical about his return before 2018, right now I 100% only want Kratos story to continue. No new character, no Atreus.
I could take some small side game with him, but I really want to keep Kratos.

Kratos is the God killer, Kratos is the bridge between the mythologies.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I very much preferred the Doomguy mantra myself without all the bullshit story. Really miss my over the top Guts from BERSERK inducing rage which lead to over the top visceral blood and gore the series was known for.

I mean it could be great if they let the godslaying beast out of Kratos that they seem to want to contain. Not a fan of calm and controlled Kratos. Very much dislike how they became more distant from the violence the series was known for and turned it into a cinematic movie + souls game wombo combo.

It overall has a stronger narrative push and really lacks what made the IP so great. The games "evolution" really isn't for everyone.

jigglet

Banned
The God of War games are all filled with countless encounters with "major" and minor god/vilains in a couple of hours... We don't need to know each character's complete life story, especially in a video game, we mostly need to know that there is an obstacle between Kratos and Odin (Santa Claus).

Yeah that's true. I haven't played the latest one so I assumed they went with a more traditional hollywood style story. If it's more like the original GOW games then yeah it works.

Baldur wasn't exactly payed off. And that's one character, and really the game lacked of memorable characters, save for Freya.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
5 years dev time for gow 2 means a 2023 release. Imagine releasing a last gen game in the 3rd year of the generation.

DonJorginho

Banned
Batman & Robin, Spiderman 3, Amazing Spiderman 2...Hollywood is filled with examples of them trying to cram too many villains in and it all imploding. You'd think they'd have learned some restraint by now.
Ahh yes because a 2 hour movie is the same as a 30-40 hour game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
5 years dev time for gow 2 means a 2023 release. Imagine releasing a last gen game in the 3rd year of the generation.
Or a mid to late 2022 release, since most sequels aren't started from scratch after the game ships, but rather are started on almost a year prior to shipping the one before it. No big deal either way, people will play it, and only a microcosm of forum dwellers will carry a torch of generational nobility.

assurdum

Banned
I don't know why, but I have the bad feeling the story will be "rushed" as the first with tons of potential villains left unused. I suspest even Odin won't make his appearance neither. Hope to be wrong.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I don't know why, but I have the bad feeling the story will be "rushed" as the first with tons of potential villains left unused. I suspest even Odin won't make his appearance neither. Hope to be wrong.
He will be an old fart that died suffocating on his own vomit :D. While crows were dancing on the top of his head.

So he basically just confirmed that the game will be delayed again.
He didnd't confirm that, he confirmed the 2021 release date was a lie like i've been telling you guys. Sony lied to us one more time..There was just no way for God of War to release 3 years after the first one.

If it does come out next year it would be rushed and until december.

As long as we get more God of War in the future I don't care. I agree with him as waiting 15 years for a story is absurd. For comparison we got the entire Greek story, God of War 1-3, in the span of 5 years. Now we have to wait that long for a single game. So long as they do the story justice and nothing feels half assed I'm cool with it. Hope it doesn't get delayed to 2023 though based on his comment.
But wasn't this game supposed to come out this year??? Did Sony lie to us? lmao

Fbh

That's ok with me.
I just hope that with this being the final Norse game and with the tech not getting much of a next gen upgrade it means they could really focus on going all out with this one in terms of pacing, variety and boss battles.

The fight with Thor and hopefully Odin better be some epic over the top stuff. If it's some tame fight where Kratos just exchanges punches with Thor in a random cave, like the Magni and Modi fight, I'll be really disappointed.

Last edited:
would be really nice if GOW5 doesn't end in typical GoW way but other pantheons get involved and there is an all out war between them with Kratos and Loki caught in the middle.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m a big fan of this. No need to sequel the hell out of games (I realise God of War is a long running franchise but 2018 and Ragnorok might as well be separate entities). As mentioned, the 5/6 year development cycle for games now is not friendly to trilogies. I don’t want to wait 15 years any longer. Give me one off bangers or 2 entries any day of the week.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Something must change. A game shouldn't take 5 years to make. That's just ridiculous.
Maybe start with not making every game be 40-50 hours.

There is a reason Sony studios used to make a game every 2-3 years. They used to be 10-15 hours long at best. Even their open world games like Infamous.

yurinka

Something must change. A game shouldn't take 5 years to make. That's just ridiculous.
It's the average development time for AAA games today. Studios who release more games is because they have way more devs so can afford to work on more games at the same time, and/or make less ambitious/shorter games.

Why does there need to be something after Norse? From a story perspective (not from what you want, or from additional sales standpoint)?
There will be more GoW games because people wants more GoW games and they keep getting great sales and reviews.

Story can be adapted to justify that Kratos is destined to kill the gods from different mithologies or any random reason. Or maybe the black girl is Egiptian, Kratos and Atreus go there in a trip to visit her family (Egiptian gods, obviously) and then her father and Kratos start to argue about football after lunch and SHIT HAPPENS. xDDDD

Last edited:
Yeah that's true. I haven't played the latest one so I assumed they went with a more traditional hollywood style story. If it's more like the original GOW games then yeah it works.
I would like an in-between, I want the larger than life enemies, more variation in enemy types (especially the bosses, they were all the same in 2018).The old games were story driven, but had impressive moments, more so than the latest one.

Vaelka

You guys are actually doubting the team behind God of fucking War, coming from Sony Santa fucking Monica will possibly fuck this up? seriously? did you play the last game? Do you know this studio?... take however long it takes, it'll be amazeballs

Yeah it's not like there are countless examples of big falls from grace in the industry.

Oh wait.

Phase

A completely brutal and gory GOW experience would be amazing. Good ragdoll physics, dismemberment based on your swings, bodies and parts stay laying on the ground and pile up.

I would enjoy that.

Does have bosses now?
This is a very important question.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A completely brutal and gory GOW experience would be amazing. Good ragdoll physics, dismemberment based on your swings, bodies and parts stay laying on the ground and pile up.

I would enjoy that.
766159.jpg

Phase

Kratos gets pummeled into the side of a hill. While pushing the rocks off of his body he notices to his left a subtle glow. He stands and starts throwing rocks off to the side of this glowing object. Uncovered, it shines brightly into his eyes. Gripping it with his hands and lifting it to freedom, he remarks "Aah, you were at my side, all along."

Bloodborne DLC pls Santa Monica.

Top Bottom