• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War - dig deeply into the world and .. Who Blew The Fucking Horn ?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
This is the third run for me .. one in 2018 , one in 2019 and the last one in 2020 . God of war is a well written story game no matter how many times you play through out this fascinating world , it still got you every time with its story , dialogue , character development and the world itself...

For me , when I start to question everything and putting various scenarios to that specific scene or even a strange rock in the game regarding that world which is full of mystery with gods and giants then I know that Santa Monica delivered the game in the perfect way you ever imagine because the game’s world took my attention and I just can’t stop digging to find what happened here ? .. why that strange man knocked my door ? Why we made that fight?? Who the fuck is this kid ? I wanna Hit him hard in the face sometimes... but fuck he’s my BOI and we went through a lot .

Ok let’s go the point ..

Every new game I make in GOW I see something new or something I didn’t pay attention to it in the last run . And I wanna talk with you guys and discuss the weird things that happened in the game .. ok ? Let’s do this And I’ll put them as points :

• Did the baldur think Kratos a giant this whole time ? Or did he mistake him thinking that he’s the one while it’s his wife Faye? Because he said to kratos “ I thought you bigger “ the beginning of the game

• Did kratos knew that cutting this tree will make enemies come to their home ? Or not ?

• When Atreus got sick who used the horn to call The world serpent ? It’s really a mystery ..

• now after you beat the game mimir still giving you stories or insight about this world .. something he said makes me wonder , did the world serpent came from future to save Atreus ? to fulfill the prophecy? .. cuz as mimir said the Ragnarok did happen and Thor fought the serpent so who did he even exist ? is every realm has it’s own space time ? Or did all this was Faye’s plans for her sun ?

• we know kratos and Atreus activated the speed of Ragnarok when they killed the baldur.. did Odin or even the world serpent knew what will happen ? Specially the serpent his actions was like he know all of the events to come ... it’s like someone push him by force from the past or the future to help Atreus reach a specific point in this time .. damn I love this game man lol

So BOIS .. let’s discuss this

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'm sorry, but who the hell is boulder?

Because this is a boulder:

1200px-Balanced_Rock.jpg

This fellow? Baldur?

maxresdefault.jpg

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I haven't played the game yet, to be honest.

The fact that you've gotten 3 satisfying playthroughs out of it makes me wanna give it a try, though.

laynelane

Baldur mistook Kratos for a giant in their first meeting. That's why he expected him to be bigger. It was only later that Baldur realized that Atreus was the one he needed to find. Kratos did not realize that cutting the trees would allow enemies to find their home. As for all the stuff about Ragnarok - Mimir mentions that Odin is a collector of prophecies. I think that's why he knows so much about what will happen since he was in Odin's employ for a long time. As for who blew the horn, I really don't know. I haven't been able to figure that out. I'm hoping we get an answer to that in the sequel.

Geki-D

Banned
Did kratos knew that cutting this tree will make enemies come to their home ? Or not ?
Faye had the power of foresight and knew what would kick start the journey. Kratos has to cut down the trees to exit the safe forest to bring her ashes to the mountain. He knew this would end their safety.
Did the boulder think Kratos a giant this whole time ? Or did he mistake him thinking that he’s the one while it’s his wife Faye? Because he said to kratos “ I thought you bigger “ the beginning of the game
Yep. Baldur thought Kratos was the guardian giant he was looking for.
When Atreus got sick who used the horn to call The world serpent ? It’s really a mystery ..
We don't know.
now after you beat the game mimir still giving you stories or insight about this world .. something he said makes me wonder , did the world serpent came from future to save Atreus ? to fulfill the prophecy? .. cuz as mimir said the Ragnarok did happen and Thor fought the serpent so who did he even exist ? is every realm has it’s own space time ? Or did all this was Faye’s plans for her sun ?
The serpent did fight Thor but Mimir says that the prophecy is that they'll fight again and Thor will send Jörmungandr back in time at that second fight. Mimir nor anyone else ever says that Ragnarök has already happened, if i recall correctly.
did Odin or even the world serpent knew what will happen ? Specially the serpent his actions was like he know all of the events to come ... it’s like someone push him by force from the past or the future to help Atreus reach a specific point in this time ..
Odin knows very little about Ragnarök because he killed Gróa before she told him. Apparently all he really knows is that Kratos & Atreus are involved (though he doesn't know who they are) and that at some point Baldur would die kick starting it all off but he didn't when (he thought it was still far off) and seeing as Baldur was invincible, he thought he was safe. Only the giants knew about all the events of Ragnarök. We have no idea what Jörmungandr knows.

Really? You didn't like it? I absolutely loved it. I have 2 sons and it truly hit me hard and is prob my fav game of this entire generation.

In terms of how it played it was fun enough.

But the art direction was too busy and all over the place, the systems were bloated and superfluous and they neutered Kratos - the God of War - in some form of sloppy apology for their previous - and far better - work.

kUzOv2O.jpg

Crushing disappointment for me.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is the third run for me .. one in 2018 , one in 2019 and the last one in 2020 . God of war is a well written story game no matter how many times you play through out this fascinating world , it still got you every time with its story , dialogue , character development and the world itself...

For me , when I start to question everything and putting various scenarios to that specific scene or even a strange rock in the game regarding that world which is full of mystery with gods and giants then I know that Santa Monica delivered the game in the perfect way you ever imagine because the game’s world took my attention and I just can’t stop digging to find what happened here ? .. why that strange man knocked my door ? Why we made that fight?? Who the fuck is this kid ? I wanna Hit him hard in the face sometimes... but fuck he’s my BOI and we went through a lot .

Ok let’s go the point ..

Every new game I make in GOW I see something new or something I didn’t pay attention to it in the last run . And I wanna talk with you guys and discuss the weird things that happened in the game .. ok ? Let’s do this And I’ll put them as points :

• Did the baldur think Kratos a giant this whole time ? Or did he mistake him thinking that he’s the one while it’s his wife Faye? Because he said to kratos “ I thought you bigger “ the beginning of the game

• Did kratos knew that cutting this tree will make enemies come to their home ? Or not ?

• When Atreus got sick who used the horn to call The world serpent ? It’s really a mystery ..

• now after you beat the game mimir still giving you stories or insight about this world .. something he said makes me wonder , did the world serpent came from future to save Atreus ? to fulfill the prophecy? .. cuz as mimir said the Ragnarok did happen and Thor fought the serpent so who did he even exist ? is every realm has it’s own space time ? Or did all this was Faye’s plans for her sun ?

• we know kratos and Atreus activated the speed of Ragnarok when they killed the baldur.. did Odin or even the world serpent knew what will happen ? Specially the serpent his actions was like he know all of the events to come ... it’s like someone push him by force from the past or the future to help Atreus reach a specific point in this time .. damn I love this game man lol

You bring up a great point that did not dawn on me until now.

Maybe they thought Kratos was a giant as well, and the "your kind" comment was in reference to Giants and not a Greek Spartan Demi.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Baldur mistook Kratos for a giant in their first meeting. That's why he expected him to be bigger. It was only later that Baldur realized that Atreus was the one he needed to find. Kratos did not realize that cutting the trees would allow enemies to find their home. As for all the stuff about Ragnarok - Mimir mentions that Odin is a collector of prophecies. I think that's why he knows so much about what will happen since he was in Odin's employ for a long time. As for who blew the horn, I really don't know. I haven't been able to figure that out. I'm hoping we get an answer to that in the sequel.

Faye had the power of foresight and knew what would kick start the journey. Kratos has to cut down the trees to exit the safe forest to bring her ashes to the mountain. He knew this would end their safety.

Yep. Baldur thought Kratos was the guardian giant he was looking for.

We don't know.

The serpent did fight Thor but Mimir says that the prophecy is that they'll fight again and Thor will send Jörmungandr back in time at that second fight. Mimir nor anyone else ever says that Ragnarök has already happened, if i recall correctly.

Odin knows very little about Ragnarök because he killed Gróa before she told him. Apparently all he really knows is that Kratos & Atreus are involved (though he doesn't know who they are) and that at some point Baldur would die kick starting it all off but he didn't when (he thought it was still far off) and seeing as Baldur was invincible, he thought he was safe. Only the giants knew about all the events of Ragnarök. We have no idea what Jörmungandr knows.

I don’t think Kratos knows .. about cutting the tree and braking the safety barrier. that was faye’s wish before dying .. so he did that without knowing the consequences I think

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
You bring up a great point that did not dawn on me until now.

Maybe they thought Kratos was a giant as well, and the "your kind" comment was in reference to Giants and not a Greek Spartan Demi.

Yeah .. it makes me think that Kratos even has a mistake by thinking that everything that happened is related to him .. not the BOI

laynelane

I don’t think Kratos knows .. about cutting the tree and braking the safety barrier. that was faye’s wish before dying .. so he did that without knowing the consequences I think

That's what I think too. Atreus questions whether something in the forest has changed. And it's only after the initial battles that Kratos says something like: "You were right. The forest has changed and our home is no longer safe". Then there's the scene where they're overlooking the forest and Atreus points out the places where the barrier is broken. Kratos cut down the trees because it was Faye's wish they be used to cremate her. He had no way of knowing they were forming a barrier and only figured it out from Atreus' observation and Baldur showing up (plus the troll and draugr).

Psykodad

Banned
Baldur mistook Kratos for a giant in their first meeting. That's why he expected him to be bigger.
Didn't Baldur just think Kratos was bigger because of the stories they heard about him killing all the Greek gods?

Iirc there was no implication that he mistook Kratos for a giant.
And he was after Faye, not Atreus.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah .. it makes me think that Kratos even has a mistake by thinking that everything that happened is related to him .. not the BOI
No Faye already predicted all of this and I think she give instruction to Kratos to what should he do, but he thought he had more time and he thought Atreus still wasn't ready for the journey.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Didn't Baldur just think Kratos was bigger because of the stories they heard about him killing all the Greek gods?

No .. baldur thought Kratos a Giant that’s way he said “ why won’t you die ?” And he was screaming with it .. cuz he didn’t know Kratos was a god other than that he will know his past and even use it against him

All this time Baldur is after Faye not Kratos

Psykodad

Banned
No .. baldur thought Kratos a Giant that’s way he said “ why won’t you die ?” And he was screaming with it .. cuz he didn’t know Kratos was a god other than that he will know his past and even use it against him

All this time Baldur is after Faye not Kratos
Ah yeah, you're right. I stand corrected.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
No Faye already predicted all of this and I think she give instruction to Kratos to what should he do, but he thought he had more time and he thought Atreus still wasn't ready for the journey.

Faye already know this yes But Kratos didn’t know he even didn’t know the truth behind his wife ! .. she didn’t tell him anything if she did then why he didn’t go directly to the giants realm ? ..

she didn’t tell him because she want Kratos and BOI to walk on the prophecy path without knowing the events that will happen

Last edited:

laynelane

There were a few other clues in that initial conversation. When Kratos asks Baldur what he wants, Baldur replies that Kratos already knows what he wants. Since there is no history between Kratos and the Norse Gods, this doesn't make sense. But the Giants did know that Odin wanted a way to their homeland which is what I think is being referred to here. As well, Baldur says "your kind" is so enlightened, so much better, smarter than the rest of us to Kratos. From what we come to know of the Giants, those traits seem to describe them quite well. Then there's the confrontation on the mountain where Baldur says something like: "All this time I thought I needed you. But you're just meat. The boy is the brains".

I'm not sure if it's mentioned specifically in the game, but it seems Odin/Baldur were after a Giant but they didn't know what that Giant looked like. Mostly because Faye kept herself hidden from their sight.

Psykodad

Banned
There were a few other clues in that initial conversation. When Kratos asks Baldur what he wants, Baldur replies that Kratos already knows what he wants. Since there is no history between Kratos and the Norse Gods, this doesn't make sense. But the Giants did know that Odin wanted a way to their homeland which is what I think is being referred to here. As well, Baldur says "your kind" is so enlightened, so much better, smarter than the rest of us to Kratos. From what we come to know of the Giants, those traits seem to describe them quite well. Then there's the confrontation on the mountain where Baldur says something like: "All this time I thought I needed you. But you're just meat. The boy is the brains".

I'm not sure if it's mentioned specifically in the game, but it seems Odin/Baldur were after a Giant but they didn't know what that Giant looked like. Mostly because Faye kept herself hidden from their sight.
Yeah, I knew Baldur was after the giants, but I have already been corrected, so you can ignore what I said.

Baldur did mistake Kratos for a giant, while in fact he was after Faye.

Danjin44

Faye already know this yes But Kratos didn’t know he even didn’t know the truth behind his wife ! .. she didn’t tell him anything if she did then why he didn’t go directly to the giants realm ? ..

she didn’t tell him because she want Kratos and BOI to walk on the prophecy path without knowing the events that will happen
I don't think she told him everything but I do think she did give him vague instruction of what to do.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I don't think she told him everything but I do think she did give him vague instruction of what to do.

Her instructions was only a wish to them go to bring her ashes to the highest peak in the mountains .. that’s all

I don’t think she gave them instructions of what to do .. that will ruin the future she seeks for them

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It's Kratos, time travel

You know I just remembered that Kratos doesn’t know the old language.. so maybe this one is far from the truth but when Kratos , BOI and mimir talk to the serpent.. the serpent did say that Atreus looks familiar

So maybe that was the future Atreus aka Loki .. or another one who still knows the old language

Yes, Baulder thought Kratos was the giant he was looking for.

Kratos didn’t know he was jeopardizing the safety of his home by cutting down the trees. Faye didn’t tell him that the trees she marked for her ashes would do this because she wanted Kratos to kickstart the prophecy. Also because she knew Kratos had much needbonding time with his son.

I was under the impression that Baulder blew the horn to question the world snake. Either that or it was Thor. If it was Thor, I’m sure the sequel will answer that question.

I really don’t want to make any guesses on the history of the world snake, or It’s knowledge/participation with past or future events. This goes with Odin as well. I feel like the Dev team will make story decisions that are vastly different than the real world mythos. It’s a great mystery, but I’m excited to know where it leads.

I really need to try the new game+ mode.

Danjin44

Her instructions was only a wish to them go to bring her ashes to the highest peak in the mountains .. that’s all

I don’t think she gave them instructions of what to do .. that will ruin the future she seeks for them
But if thats all it was then Kratos would try do that himself but I think she told Kratos that she has to bring their son to this Journey. this why Kratos try so hard to train him for it.

this why in here Kratos was calling for Faye in what he should do and how his son is not ready for this journey.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
But if thats all it was then Kratos would try do that himself but I think she told Kratos that she has to bring their son to this Journey. this why Kratos try so hard to train him for it.

this why in here Kratos was calling for Faye in what he should do and how his son is not ready for this journey.

He can’t do it himself after baldur kicking off their home .. that’s why he said our son isn’t ready to have her ashes and bring it to the highest peak.. the son training thing has nothing to do with the mothers death .. they were both training him for a long time

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Thor fights Jormungundr in the future during Ragnarok. Thor hits him so hard that he goes back in time. The serpent is Loki’s child (Atreus) , this is why he says Atreus looks familiar. He will be born in the future along with Fenrir and Hella I think her name was.This is also how Atreus is able to speak its language.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My only complaint about the game is that they sometimes referred to the Jötnar as "giants." I've always hated that completely inappropriate and usually misleading "translation."

REE Machine

Banned

Ok let’s go the point ..

Baldur came looking for Faye but found Kratos instead, Baldur knew he was looking for someone but not sure who

I dont think he knew it would take the protectiom around them away this he was not preparred for Baldurs presence, it was a wish from his wife I assume to cut them down but Kratos would not know the repercussions of it

Prob might find out next game, or the last one. Have a feeling its going to be some trippy shit

Could have been her plans or maybe Ragnarok happened once already or almost did and Atreus is the reincarnation of Loki, destined to fulfill ragnarok

HarryKS

Don't think he was mistaken for a giant. They probably knew of the Greek killer roaming about. Small world.

RCU005

Didn’t Bladour blow the horn? Kratos and Atreus went inside the world serpent and after the horn was blown, Bladur started attacking the world serpent. He said that attacking it would attract the attention of Kratos and son.

If he didn’t blow the horn, then it might be explained in the sequel, but it did seem obvious that it was Baldour.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Didn’t Bladour blow the horn?
Considering Cory's reaction to questions about it on Twitter, it seems that it's not so straight forward.

If it was just Baldur to fight the snake, Cory would just say so rather than tease it as a mystery.

Avion4017

Neo Member
Didn’t Bladour blow the horn? Kratos and Atreus went inside the world serpent and after the horn was blown, Bladur started attacking the world serpent. He said that attacking it would attract the attention of Kratos and son.

If he didn’t blow the horn, then it might be explained in the sequel, but it did seem obvious that it was Baldour.

The mystery horn blow in question was way before that part, and they blew the horn themselves before they went inside the snek.

I think it was Tyr that blew the horn and that he's still alive in hiding or possibly captured. We know that Tyr visited Kratos' world at one point and knows of Kratos'. We know that he set up trials for Kratos.

Tyr is alive but he knows that he can't beat Odin or Thor, hence why I'm assuming he is directly responsible for bringing Kratos to his world. After learning that Kratos killed Zeus and the Greek gods, Tyr knew that Kratos could get the job done in possibly killing Odin or Thor. He brought him to Faye who healed him from the end of GoW 3, Kratos still has the scar from stabbing himself with Athena's blade.

Tyr's been manipulating things from the shadows for Kratos' to be diametrically opposed to the Viking gods for one reason, to kill them all just like Kratos' killed the Greek gods.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

If he wants to attack the serpent he doesn’t need to use the horn .. he will just attack

And it’s not baldur .. it was someone else

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I think it was Tyr that blew the horn and that he's still alive in hiding or possibly captured. We know that Tyr visited Kratos' world at one point and knows of Kratos'. We know that he set up trials for Kratos.

Tyr is alive but he knows that he can't beat Odin or Thor, hence why I'm assuming he is directly responsible for bringing Kratos to his world. After learning that Kratos killed Zeus and the Greek gods, Tyr knew that Kratos could get the job done in possibly killing Odin or Thor. He brought him to Faye who healed him from the end of GoW 3, Kratos still has the scar from stabbing himself with Athena's blade.

Tyr's been manipulating things from the shadows for Kratos' to be diametrically opposed to the Viking gods for one reason, to kill them all just like Kratos' killed the Greek gods.

Didn’t Odin capture Tyr because he couldn’t find a way to the giant realm ? .. yes tyr has the ability to travel between the realms and even beyond but that won’t happen without the unity stone .. am I right ?

Last edited:
Didn’t Odin capture Tyr because he couldn’t find a way to the giant realm ? .. yes tyr has the ability to travel between the realms and even beyond but that won’t happen without the unity stone .. am I right ?

Yes but Tyr could still possibly travel between Asgard and Midgard without the stone. He left it for Kratos (or Possibly to deny Odin access to it).

Yes Tyr could have been captured, but he wasn't in Helheim. My theory still stands that he's manipulating things in the shadows so Kratos will kill the gods. If Tyr escaped he could still blow the horn. But I don't think Tyr expected Kratos to have a child with Faye and settle down, her magic hid them from him just like Odin.

Faye essentially threw a wrench into Tyr's plans.

Remember the murals in Jotunheim, Kratos didn't know about the plans and Faye argued with the giants. The plan to bring Kratos into the Viking world was a collaboration between the giants and Tyr. I think Tyr had different plans from the giants though, as indicated by the murals. The giants intended to use Kratos as a vessel with Atreus and the world serpent, which failed. Tyr is trying to correct the timeline in knowing that Kratos defies destiny.

thelastword

Banned
There's a lot we don't know. Most probably Freya herself or another God/Goddess. We saw that big bird in Helheim too, lots have been set up for a sequel or even the third game, there are worlds we did not visit. Corey and his writers has established the foundation for many GOW's to come, people have questions they want answers to, which is how you properly set up a game series or IP....

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Yes but Tyr could still possibly travel between Asgard and Midgard without the stone. He left it for Kratos (or Possibly to deny Odin access to it).

Yes Tyr could have been captured, but he wasn't in Helheim. My theory still stands that he's manipulating things in the shadows so Kratos will kill the gods. If Tyr escaped he could still blow the horn. But I don't think Tyr expected Kratos to have a child with Faye and settle down, her magic hid them from him just like Odin.

Faye essentially threw a wrench into Tyr's plans.

Remember the murals in Jotunheim, Kratos didn't know about the plans and Faye argued with the giants. The plan to bring Kratos into the Viking world was a collaboration between the giants and Tyr. I think Tyr had different plans from the giants though, as indicated by the murals. The giants intended to use Kratos as a vessel with Atreus and the world serpent, which failed. Tyr is trying to correct the timeline in knowing that Kratos defies destiny.

I don’t think tyr would do such a thing to manipulate things and lead for a Ragnarok.. tyr was known for god of war but for peace .. maybe he has plans for Kratos and Atreus with the cooperation with mother Faye BUT killing Baldur wasn’t in that plans imo .. Kratos made that decision and a mistake that will bring Ragnarok by skipping many stages .. I mean faster .

Top Bottom