• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War’s impressive camera trick inspired the Dead Space remake

GHG

Gold Member
Now you're gassing.
see, this reads like sarcasm, but I have this weird feeling you're serious.

742122.jpg

It will be ok guys.

Puscifer

It's not like that's some well kept secret..

You know the old IGN meme "it makes you feel like.."? It applies here.
I had never felt like a God of War in 13 God of War games before playing the 2018 one, despite the fact you're much more vulnerable in the new one. Why? Because I've felt in the combat. Something hit me on the back? It's my fault, I wasn't minding my surroundings.

Granted, if you suck at the game you'll just feel like a loser. But if you're good.. and maybe manage to take no damage at GMGOW Difficulty on the 100 enemies Muspelheim challenge..

pleasure-principle
You didn't feel like a "God of War" while literally murdering the entire Greek Pantheon, killing bosses the size of skyscrapers or th fighting on the back of Gaia in the opening of GoW 3? Lol c'mon man, I like GoW 18 but the tone is uneven as fuck. You murdered Aeris to Zeus with a ripped kilt but you need level 6 armor to fight human enemies. God of War 2 - Ascension had an awesome combat system is you're willing to learn it. God of War reboot was a souls game with an axe.

Vick

You didn't feel like a "God of War" while literally murdering the entire Greek Pantheon, killing bosses the size of skyscrapers or th fighting on the back of Gaia in the opening of GoW 3? Lol c'mon man, I like GoW 18 but the tone is uneven as fuck. You murdered Aeris to Zeus with a ripped kilt but you need level 6 armor to fight human enemies. God of War 2 - Ascension had an awesome combat system is you're willing to learn it. God of War reboot was a souls game with an axe.

Either you didn't understand what I meant or I haven't expressed myself correctly, probably the latter. I'll try again:

I don't feel like a God of War playing the old games (all completed at max difficulty btw) because these games don't require me to be something worthy of being called that. I'm literally mashing buttons and doing QTE.

The much deeper systems in the new one on the other hand, along with the amount of agency given at any second and frame-time precision required, combined with the ridiculously low amount of health and the aggressiveness of enemies, did. Because it's all on me.
And at GWGOW, when you perfectly dodge every attack (not with the pussy roll, with the light dodge while slowly walking) and don't waste a single movement only to unleash hell when you feel like.. oh boi. There's nothing fucking close.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I know highly controversial to say that God of War was an entirely derivative game and has zero influence on other games because it's the most generic amalgamation of modern games
Not controversial, more insipid and uninspired generic critique that means absolutely nothing. Everything is an amalgamation of things that comes before but that doesn't mean you can't influence things that come after.

Gears 5

“For me, God of War was a big one,” says art director Aryan Hanbeck when talking of outside inspirations for fine-tuning the open spaces. “They're not exactly the same scenario we have, but they do such a good job of pointing you to specific places, giving you visual cues that are consistent throughout the whole game. And it was such a fun game to play that we really took a lot of a lot of little cues from that, but tweaked to make sure it fits our experience.”

Black Myth: Wukong

The single shot camera idea was taken directly from God of War, a game they were inspired by.

Prey (movie)

Director Dan Tractenberg confirmed to CassiusLife that, as a God of War fan, he based the Predator's new shield gadget off Kratos' shield from the 2018 reboot, which features a similar retractable function. He also drew attention to how Prey protagonist Naru wields a weapon that resembles Kratos' iconic Blade of Chaos chain-swords. As Tractenberg noted, "Even her Tomahawk that she makes because she throws it and calls it back. It was very much inspired by playing that game."

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This is not a God of War thing, it was done in the second Dead Space game (and much better than in GoW because everything is real time, no menu pause for your items)
I'm glad you said it because this headline triggered me. DS2 did the one-shot focus 7 years before GOW and didn't have to go around flexing its nuts about it because real gangsta-ass DS2 knows its gots them.

Ok, so it had load screens. But outside of that, it focused on keeping you in the world with Isaac. I replayed it recently and the only time I remember there being a disconnect between cutscene and gameplay picking back up is when Isaac literally loses consciousness after the Giant miner machine crashes through the underground government structure and throws Isaac off

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
And then RE2R disproved it.
But then…yeah I mean it’s not my favorite (having a camera close), but GoW did it well and didn’t bother me suprisingly. Nor did Dead Space or RE4. Some can get it great, but others it bothers to the point of being unplayable.

Off topic: can’t wait to see RE4R extended gameplay, and how they implement changes. Hope it’s looking exactly like RE2R. Fingers crossed!!

Banned
Not controversial, more insipid and uninspired generic critique that means absolutely nothing. Everything is an amalgamation of things that comes before but that doesn't mean you can't influence things that come after.

it still had zero influence on any games other than this dumb no camera cut shit that is also not really a good thing in most games (imo including God of War itself) because it severely limits cutscene directors.

all its gameplay elements are entirely generic with nothing that could even influence anything.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it still had zero influence on any games other than this dumb no camera cut shit that is also not really a good thing in most games (imo including God of War itself) because it severely limits cutscene directors.

all its gameplay elements are entirely generic with nothing that could even influence anything.
Man, STFU. Your ad nauseum posts on games you hate on are generic.

Vick

I mean, he's right lol

It's a high production Dark Souls

Yeah, that plays nothing like Dark Souls and featured truly unique combat and mechanics (list me a single game that plays like GoW during combat, or has a mechanic comparable to the axe). Which inspired from the top of my head The Last of Us Part II praised melee (a mobile version of GoW), Jedi: Fallen Order (another mobile version of GoW) or the Crystal Dynamics shitty Avengers game (other mobile version of GoW).

You posting that video and stating it's a high production Dark Souls just makes me seriously question if you even played the game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not that familiar with Dead Space 2 to remember every tiny little detail about it, but wasn't that game doing something like that already? Pretty sure it did have some transitions courtesy of Isaac's hallucinations, but I don't think the camera ever had any specific cuts away from his particular perspective. And even if there were any, the vast majority of the game was still pretty much uninterrupted.

Besides, it's kind of a silly gimmick anyway. Everyone gets excited like it was supposed to be a Goodfellas shot. It's a videogame, people, you can render whatever you want with it and it doesn't require coordinating dozens of extras and actors to do everything perfectly. It's like when people were getting all excited about the opening of Revenge of The Sith. Who gives a shit.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Yeah, that plays nothing like Dark Souls and featured truly unique combat and mechanics (list me a single game that plays like GoW during combat, or has a mechanic comparable to the axe). Which inspired from the top of my head The Last of Us Part II praised melee (a mobile version of GoW), Jedi: Fallen Order (another mobile version of GoW) or the Crystal Dynamics shitty Avengers game (other mobile version of GoW).

You posting that video and stating it's a high production Dark Souls just makes me seriously question if you even played the game.
"If you don't like it, you clearly never played it."

Sure buddy, I didn't play it on PS4 twice and double dipped on PC in preparation for Ragnarok :|

Last edited:

Killer8

I've no idea why games insist on wanting to do this one shot thing. This is not like a movie where you sit and watch, and therefore appreciate the entirety of the one shot over the course of 2 hours. Every time you inevitably quit the game or suspend the console, the one shot is broken and becomes pretty meaningless. Unless someone is willing to play the game from start to finish, over 15 hours or so, no one will actually be able to appreciate it. It's just a bullet point on the box for the developer to say "we did this cool thing", even if it adds nothing tangible to the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I can see where the challenge with parry, etc, and not button mashing like the old games influenced GoW, but yes, they did put their own unique spin on it. The axe just feels so damned good with the animation pause trick they developed.

Last edited:

Vick

"If you don't like it, you clearly never played it."

Sure buddy, I didn't play it on PS4 twice and double dipped on PC in preparation for Ragnarok :|
Ok but then how could say it's high production Dark Souls? Or implying it didn't do anything new? They started from a skeleton (indeed unquestionably inspired by Souls) which had 5% at best in common with the final systems, after they spent years adding all hell on top while coming up with new ideas, and then others, and then improving and changing, and then others ideas, and others.. I mean it's all here:

Nothing plays like GoW and since then I've played at least 3 games inspired by it and none came close.

The axe just feels so damned good with the animation pause trick they developed.
It for sure did. Man I wish GoW was generic, I would be playing satisfying masterclasses all day long.

Last edited:
Either you didn't understand what I meant or I haven't expressed myself correctly, probably the latter. I'll try again:

I don't feel like a God of War playing the old games (all completed at max difficulty btw) because these games don't require me to be something worthy of being called that. I'm literally mashing buttons and doing QTE.

The much deeper systems in the new one on the other hand, along with the amount of agency given at any second and frame-time precision required, combined with the ridiculously low amount of health and the aggressiveness of enemies, did. Because it's all on me.
And at GWGOW, when you perfectly dodge every attack (not with the pussy roll, with the light dodge while slowly walking) and don't waste a single movement only to unleash hell when you feel like.. oh boi. There's nothing fucking close.
I love tearing through my enemies while still dodging and being aggressive with the strafe dodge in GoW 2018. When you master it, it truly makes you feel like an unstoppable killing machine.

Vick

I love tearing through my enemies while still dodging and being aggressive with the strafe dodge in GoW 2018. When you master it, it truly makes you feel like an unstoppable killing machine.
45WW0wy.gif

It's the most badass shit in existence. And then you have the biggest tool box at your disposal to seamlessly do whatever you want with the poor things trapped with you in the arena.
I'm 100% sure many played the game while still having no idea whatsoever of how this combat can make you feel when you're good at the game.

Which in a way it's sort of understandable considering the best was kept for endgame activities.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Ok but then how could say it's high production Dark Souls? Or implying it didn't do anything new? They started from a skeleton (indeed unquestionably inspired by Souls) which had 5% at best in common with the final systems, after they spent years adding all hell on top while coming up with new ideas, and then others, and then improving and changing, and then others ideas, and others.. I mean it's all here:

Nothing plays like GoW and since then I've played at least 3 games inspired by it and none came close.

It for sure did. Man I wish GoW was generic, I would be playing satisfying masterclasses all day long.

The combat isn't that impressive if you need an hour long diatribe about what it does then it's not that great, the story carries the experience in all honesty and it's why I came back several times.

This is DMC 3, over 17 years old and in 3 minutes showcases more capability in 3 minutes than an entire hour. Everything in God of War 18 just feels scripted for you in the combat department, player agency is lacking when you really dig into it even compared to the original God of Wars and why do I say that? When you unlock moves in the original series pre-reboot every single one of those moves is there at your disposal. You at most have a dodge and 2 moves per weapon and it's more about being tactile with the dodge and those moves than expressing your creativity as a player with the moves that are there ALL the time.

How can you REALLY say you "feel" like a God of War when the combat just doesn't? Here's DmC 5, arguably the peak of the genre in terms of action games. There's so much freedom given to the player that's several segments in this video alone where someone's comboing with a fucking keyboard.

Here's God of War 18, when you really look at it. What is 90% of the combat coming down too? Dodge, throw axe, power-up, atreus move.

Last edited:

Vick

The combat isn't that impressive if you need an hour long diatribe about what it does then it's not that great, the story carries the experience in all honesty and it's why I came back several times.

This is DMC 3, over 17 years old and in 3 minutes showcases more capability in 3 minutes than an entire hour. Everything in God of War 18 just feels scripted for you in the combat department, player agency is lacking when you really dig into it even compared to the original God of Wars and why do I say that? When you unlock moves in the original series pre-reboot every single one of those moves is there at your disposal. You at most have a dodge and 2 moves per weapon and it's more about being tactile with the dodge and those moves than expressing your creativity as a player with the moves that are there ALL the time.

How can you REALLY say you "feel" like a God of War when the combat just doesn't? Here's DmC 5, arguably the peak of the genre in terms of action games. There's so much freedom given to the player that's several segments in this video alone where someone's comboing with a fucking keyboard.

Well, okay. I think it's obvious you don't get what I mean by feeling like a God OF WAR. Meaning someone who's a God at War, at mastering combat, which is impossible to feel when you're 100 feet away from your character mashing buttons in memorized order with thousands of numbers and fonts on screen. The video I linked is an entire hour because it's explaining how the core combat came to be, step by step, with reasoning behind every single little choice. Showing then how little derivative it is.

You posting DMC.. SkillUp already put it perfecly:

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."

Here's God of War 18, when you really look at it. What is 90% of the combat coming down too? Dodge, throw axe, power-up, atreus move.

You really believe that's what's happening in the GBG video? Dude..
If he had the controller input on screen you'd be be questioning how the fuck is the damn thing still functioning.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."
Ding, ding, ding. Same with the original GoW. Enjoyed them at the time, but the button mashing to victory gameplay got old, decades old.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Would much rather prefer if they would do a faithful recreation rather than some pretentious artistry.

Puscifer

Well, okay. I think it's obvious you don't get what I mean by feeling like a God OF WAR. Meaning someone who's a God at War, at mastering combat, which is impossible to feel when you're 100 feet away from your character mashing buttons in memorized order with thousands of numbers and fonts on screen. The video I linked is an entire hour because it's explaining how the core combat came to be, step by step, with reasoning behind every single little choice. Showing then how little derivative it is.

You posting DMC.. SkillUp already put it perfecly:

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."

You really believe that's what's happening in the GBG video? Dude..
If he had the controller input on screen you'd be be questioning how the fuck is the damn thing still functioning.

Lol if you think DmC is "button mashing your way to victory" than you've played on easy. Son of Sparda and Dante Must Die have basic enemies that can demolish you in a couple hits, you can't finish them unless you get good at the combat. And of skill up really thinks that then he's dumber than I thought.

And it's not what I thinks happening, it is what's happening. Majority of "high level" God of War gameplay when you get down it amounts to throwing the axe, dodging and using powrups and if to weren't for the presentation of it all making you feel like a "God at War" we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Shits shallow fam and that's all there is too it, DmC 3 had deeper combat and it's older. Much less 4 and 5, which 4 in some ways has slightly deeper combat than 5 because to this day people are STILL finding combinations of moves for Dante.

Even on New Game Plus for God of War the moment you equip the right armor it's back to business as usual. I actually unequipped the armor I was using for a weaker one just because I wanted to feel a challenge. Really and truly the presentation carries God of War than it's actually depth

Vick

And it's not what I thinks happening, it is what's happening. Majority of "high level" God of War gameplay when you get down it amounts to throwing the axe, dodging and using powrups and if to weren't for the presentation of it all making you feel like a "God at War" we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Shits shallow fam and that's all there is too it, DmC 3 had deeper combat and it's older. Much less 4 and 5, which 4 in some ways has slightly deeper combat than 5 because to this day people are STILL finding combinations of moves for Dante.
laugh-eddie.gif

And you are calling SkillUp dumb?

From the comments on your own video (there's thousands, read them) which I guess you haven't even watched:

Ian Cassady

The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

@ GodsBattle Yeah I’ve tried too, it’s difficult.

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

Now after this last incomprehensible turd you just left we can all move on, it's a frigging Dead Space Thread after all.

Top Bottom