• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God damn, why are LG CX OLED so rare and so expensive here in Canada ? Am I doing it wrong ?

Flabagast

Here is my issue.

C1 55' can barely be found anywhere online in Canada and when it is, it is not less than $1,500 before taxes for a refurbished model without warantees and shipping fees. The C2 is no less than $2,100 before factoring in anything else which is utterly ridiculous. I am at a loss here, this is like 30% to 40% more expensive than in Europe even if the CAD has gained a lot vs. EUR this year.

This can't be it, right ?

Banned
in your title you talk about the CX but in the thread text it's suddenly the C1 and C2... make up your mind! 🤣

also, how much is the Samsung S95B in Canada? because that's a very solid alternative and better in some ways (better color due to QD panel, better input lag)

Last edited:

mhirano

Here is my issue.

C1 55' can barely be found anywhere online in Canada and when it is, it is not less than $1,500 before taxes for a refurbished model without warantees and shipping fees. The C2 is no less than $2,100 before factoring in anything else which is utterly ridiculous. I am at a loss here, this is like 30% to 40% more expensive than in Europe even if the CAD has gained a lot vs. EUR this year.

Currency exchange rates are not the only factor.
You should also factor inflation, import fees and availability.
Me as a Brazilian am used to be screwed by companies but my LG C1 (made in Brazil) was actually cheaper than buying in the US at the time

Sleepwalker

in your title you talk about the CX but in the thread text it's suddenly the C1 and C2... make up your mind! 🤣

also, how much is the Samsung S95B in Canada? because that's a very solid alternative and better in some ways (better color due to QD panel, better input lag)
Around $2200 for the s95b before tax in canada.

GHG

Keep an eye out for the LG CS OLED. Its now available in across Europe and the Middle East but essentially its the C1 rebranded for 2022. Its what they are doing with all the leftover non-evo panels.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What province/city are you in? Im able to walk into any Best Buy and buy a C1 easily, and they're on sale for $1299 currently. 65"

I dream about the day i can afford a 77" to 82" OLED. Can you hold out for sales in December? I'm still using a TCL 6 series LED tv from 2018. I love it, but China is also likely stealing all of my personal information. So there's that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cx is 2 years old model
c1 came out last year... and was an amazing deal.
Sadly now c2 is much more expensive

6AyR1t2.gif

kyliethicc

Here is my issue.

CX = 2020
C1 = 2021
C2 = 2022

Pimpbaa

I paid around $1500 Canadian for my CX back the year it was release (late in the year on sale). Hope I don’t have to overpay for an oled when my CX wears out. You might see some better deals next month (black Friday).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Currency exchange rates are not the only factor.
You should also factor inflation, import fees and availability.
Me as a Brazilian am used to be screwed by companies but my LG C1 (made in Brazil) was actually cheaper than buying in the US at the time
Canada is often treated as a profit centre too.

Ever company Ive worked at has no problem saying this to us too. The US is always the biggest and most competitive market and countries like Canada have a purpose of trying to sell shit for as high a price as possible to scoop up extra margin. The more margin we do helps offset any challenges the US has. It's the nature of the beast.

We'd sell things with costs so high to the retailer, the buyers at their head office would combat us with US cost sheets telling us why the hell are we selling to them things at 50-100% more. Some stores even screw us over buying product from other countries because the costs are so low it's worth importing it over the border than buy direct from us from our own warehouses.

I remember giant discrepanices like we'd have stuff selling in stores for $15 and the same stores in the US was like $9. At my current company, we have stuff selling into them for $5 and the US price sheet is like $3.20. Totally out of whack compared to any current or past exchange rates.

flying_sq

Drive across the border and pick one up. I drove to Canada a couple weeks ago to get stair nosing for my buddy's house. We made a weekend of it, hung in Buffalo for a couple days.

It's called the Canada tax. We pay stupidly more expensive prices regardless of our dollar because profit margins are way higher due to low demand for basically any product since our entire population is less than some individual states.

I remember when our dollar was higher than the US dollar for a short time around 2007-2008. Prices were dropping at such a hilariously slow rate but when our dollar went back to shit-ville prices skyrocketed instantaneously.

Hell, I remember around 2010 I was in the market for a new car and the upcoming Camaro caught my eye. It was being made in Canada so I assumed pricing would reflect that. The SS was around $32K in the US and hilariously despite being close to on-par with the US dollar at the time the MSRP in Canada for the same build was listed at $46K + taxes. Even more hilarious was the freight charge. If I listed my ZIP as 90210 freight was $720. If I listed a Canadian area code it was $1,750.

NinjaBoiX

Normally cheaper. The finesse is buying the previous year models the following year. That's how a lot of money conscious folks buy their tech things.
lol yeah, I always do this.

I’m actually due to upgrade my tablet from my iPad Air 2 that I’ve had for about 4 years (and bought preowned for £150).

I’m going for the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, because it’s basically the same as the 8 Plus but half the price. Should be able to pick it up for around £250 preowned from CEX once I trade in my iPad.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This may be hard to swallow, but: you don’t need a OLED to enjoy video games.

If your current TV isn’t that old, keep it.

If it is… plenty of very good LEDs in the high midrange.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The Sony oleds are nice too! But with the Samsung 95 being $2200 canadian for black Friday, if you want brighter, that's your target.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Things in Canada are super expensive in general.
Smokes, booze and gas are too.

Unless things changed during covid, dirt cheap in the US. Even after currency exchange, it's still probably 20%+ cheaper in the US.

All you Yanks south of the border get good deals on this stuff forever.

Googling prices, Beer Store has cases of 24 of of Bud Light at $44 ($32 US) and Stella is $57 ($41 US). Gas prices have come down, but still around $1.60/L in Toronto ($4.40/G US). It was $2/L early in the year ($5.50/G US).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
that's the black friday price in Canada? jesus man, canada really gets fucked by these prices
TVs are always jacked up here. Even beyond the exchange rate.

I just googled Costco LG TVs as an exmaple. Model UQ8000 65"

USA $500
Canada $900

Even with the god awful exchange rate now at 1.37 (worst ever in recent history), that should make CDN price $685. OK, rounded off $700. It's at $900.

Banned
TVs are always jacked up here. Even beyond the exchange rate.

I just googled Costco LG TVs as an exmaple. Model UQ8000 65"

USA $500
Canada $900

Even with the god awful exchange rate now at 1.37 (worst ever in recent history), that should make CDN price $685. OK, rounded off $700. It's at $900.

and I thought we had it hard over here in Europe where even when the Euro was way higher than the Dollar the prices were either a 1 to 1 match or even slightly higher.

but I just bought the S95B from a relatively small electronics store as well, not a big chain that buys in massive bulk, and it was 1300€ (CAD$1760)
and now I'm reading here that the black friday discounted price is 2200 in Canada... like god damn

Flabagast

I realise that the title thread is confusing, I meant C"x" LG OLEDs, that is every screen in the C series (so CX, C1 and C2 basically). I wanted to change the thread title but it is not possible it seems, sorry to everyone.

Thanks for the first answers anyway. I live in Quebec so US borders are not too far but still it is a pity to have to go that far for a TV
but I just bought the S95B from a relatively small electronics store as well, not a big chain that buys in massive bulk, and it was 1300€ (CAD$1760)
and now I'm reading here that the black friday discounted price is 2200 in Canada... like god damn
And this "discounted" price is before tax...

I dont really know why Canadians accept such high prices (they obviously do, otherwise prices would be lower if no one was willing to buy). Salaries are significantly lower than in the US so the gap in price is even bigger than it seems, and they are comparable to Europe although with much worse social benefits, public service and access to subsidized services (such as culture, sport, etc...). Sure the country is big and not dense so you need to strech your infrastructures way more than in other places to reach the same ratio of people, but still it's disheartening.

I'll keep looking and being on the lookout for good Black Friday deals. If there are none, I'll guess I'll keep my old 1080p pal waiting for better days..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
wait, Canada does this shit too where the tax isn't included in the price tag? I thought only the US does that shit...
that's even more crazy then, my 1300€ was including tax 😳
Canada is the same as the US. Price tags are always before tax.

Tax in Canada is high too. Aside from Alberta that has low tax due to oil money, all other provinces pay about 13% on most things. Some stuff like staples, books and some things under $4 are tax exempt or only half the tax. But things like electronics, you can bank it as full 13% tax on top.

So the prices I listed above in the Costco example, add 13% to Canada price too! Also big electronics have an eco-tax. I dont know what the formula is but a $1000 TV is probably another $20 in eco fees.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
that's the black friday price in Canada? jesus man, canada really gets fucked by these prices

Pretty bad, yep, plus our dollar is getting killed right now, costs us like $50 for US dollar. (ok, maybe some exaggeration, but it's at like $1.32 or something to buy a US dollar, we aren't coming to visit for the next couple of years for sure........)

Kuranghi

I saw with those prices just buy a nice FALD LCD, it's still going to be a big upgrade over what you have probably, I recommend a Hisense U7H or U8H to keep the cost down, preferably the latter.

The image processing and motion isn't as good as the Sony X90K but most other things are quite a bit better, like local dimming and brightness and reflection handling (the last part according to Rtings.com).

I personally wouldn't touch any LG LCDs of any variety and the Samsung Q80B isn't as good as the Hisense U7H, let alone the X90K or U8H. The Samsung Neo QLEDs either have fucked game modes (QN90B and QN95B) or IPS panels (QN85B) bur that's irrelevant since they cost as much or the same as the LG OLEDs anyway.

I'm not sure if Hisense is available in Canada but it's a good shout if TVs are really expensive generally and the C flies out of your reasonable price range. If you get a decent FALD LCD then by the time you're ready to buy again there will be next gen OLEDs and current gen OLEDs will be much cheaper.

If you're really set on OLED but don't want to to pay these prices then you need to wait until clearance in April/May/June 2023.

Kuranghi

Do they have the LG CS variant that GHG GHG mentioned in Canada? That's £999 in 55" here, so maybe 1800 CAD accounting for your inflated prices.

I just checked the Hisense 55" U8H price on Canada Best Buy and its $1200, its not an OLED ofc but that's a bargain for what you get, ie a high zone count, 120hz, VA-panel FALD LCD with latest gaming stuff and good sound to boot (10 + 20 + 20 = 50W). Its called U88H where you are.

PM me if you want more in depth reasoning for why I suggest only the one Sony and this Hisense if you aren't buying an OLED, since talking about LCDs here isn't exactly on topic.

Flabagast

Do they have the LG CS variant that GHG GHG mentioned in Canada? That's £999 in 55" here, so maybe 1800 CAD accounting for your inflated prices.

I just checked the Hisense 55" U8H price on Canada Best Buy and its $1200, its not an OLED ofc but that's a bargain for what you get, ie a high zone count, 120hz, VA-panel FALD LCD with latest gaming stuff and good sound to boot (10 + 20 + 20 = 50W). Its called U88H where you are.

PM me if you want more in depth reasoning for why I suggest only the one Sony and this Hisense if you aren't buying an OLED, since talking about LCDs here isn't exactly on topic.
Many thanks for your detailed answer, the Hisense seems very intersting indeed.

For the C1, I just saw this offer of an open box at 1,199 CAD. Does it worth it ?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...5c1aub-2021/15751191?icmp=Recos_1across_pn_bx

Top Bottom