• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives: Why Was Grand Theft Auto: Vice City So Good?

Kikorin

Yes, setting and music made it my favourite GTA ever. Even if GTA V was unbelievable when release, Vice City is still the king in my heart.

I guess that having a "small" map that after some hours you began to remember by heart helped in making it so alive.

Last edited:

Moriah20

Not my favorite GTA, that would be SA or 5, but an incredibly amazing videogame anyway. Considering it's kind of is just a "reskin" of GTA 3, with a different map, it's a proper fucking achievement. It always amazes me looking back at VC's map - it's so simplistic and, well, SMALL. I dunno if it's even bigger than GTA 3's map - I woudn't be surprised if it was actually smaller. But still, ps2 era rockstar GTA map design is god tier, the map never actually felt small while playing. The atmosphere was so thick you could cut it with a knife. The music, obviously as previously mentioned, but also the colourful night lights, the super bright sun during day time, all the white lambos cruising around....

I feel almost that the template for the "80's look" was created, or at least cemented by Vice City. It's a game that somehow made people who weren't even fucking alive in the 80's feel nostalgic for it.

Woggleman

I have been to Miami and they capture the vibe perfectly. I wish this Rockstar still existed. The original GTA trilogy pretty much pioneered the open world genre as we see it today and to see them sell out so much with V just hurts.

shaddam

My favorite GTA. Almost perfect size, no timesink bullshitting like in the later games. And Tommy s a great charachter

Eb7dX-YWsAAI-c9

Too bad the multiplayer community is much smaller than SAMP. I really like the vibe

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ugh, I never played Vice City. The only one in the series I have not played. I was planning to get VCS on PSP, but I never picked it up.

pawel86ck

Banned
+interesting story based on classic films.
+sense of freedom and most importantly fun gameplay mechanics (combat and car driving)
+amazing graphics on PS2 and xbox. Big detailed world and car models, day and night cycle and weather effects were something new to me back then. Thanks to interesting art direction and beautiful warm orange colors I still enjoy looking at this game despite low poly objects
+amazing music

Game is very old, therefore there are problems on modern PCs, so I recommend this patch and mods compilation (orange color atmosphere from PS2 and xbox version, better car and character models from Xbox version, real time car relfections, AI upscaled textures, widesreen and gamepad support)

For anyone experiencing crashes with this mod compilation, you have to download "Large Address Aware" application from the comments section and add GTA VC exe to the list.

Last edited:

Pejo

Theme for the thread.

Everyone nailed it already, the tropical-esque Miami in the 80s setting with the soundtrack will just invoke nostalgia for a lot of people. Damn that was a good game.

INC

Well Pop culture references
Voice actors
Music

Last edited:

TheMan

The soundtrack has never and will never be beat in another GTA game. Plus, it represented a big leap forwards in open-world design at a time when open worlds were still fresh and new and exciting. They could throw in stuff like motorcylces and boats and it was mindblowing because again, open worlds were still new. Now we just take it for granted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom