• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives: Quake 2 & Its Impressive Console ports

Ceadeus

I was about to post this. Really cool stuff and fun to listen to. It made me want to get #make 4 on 360 so I could play both quake 4 and quake 2 as a bonus.

Seider

Best part of Quake 2 was its colored lighting. The gameplay and the campaign was very dull for me. And i loved Quake 1 played with a 3dfx.

Doczu

I hope so and that it'll be done by Nightdive.
Imaging having OG Q2, N64 and PSX on 1 platform.

Q2 for life!

Q2 was cool but couldn't match with the multiplayer madness through all the mods QuakeWorld had to offer. For years after Q2s release I'd still play QuakeWorld with the Q2 soundtrack.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Man, Quake 2 means SO much to me. Our family got our first PC around its release, so, I fell in HARD. First experience with player models, sound packs, skins, custom maps, and full on mods. SO many good times. Rocket Arena 2, Gloom, Action Quake, Jailbreak, man, the list goes on. I know the remaster is hardcore rumored for Quakecon, I hope it's true, I figured they would've announced it at the opening ceremonies. But, I guess it could still happen at anytime.

Cryio

Quake 2 remaster? Didn't it kinda get a sort of remake/remaster with the RTX version? Path tracing, FSR, new textures.

Isa

I too loved this one. The railgun and grenade launcher being my favorite weapons. I loved dominating my friends bouncing grenades off of walls into other rooms knowing they'd be making specific moves right towards me. So much fun. I personally spent most of my time with the PS1 version and a multitap. Though I also had/have the PC version as well. Love the soundtrack, and I can't understand how people rave over the newer Doom's OST with NO RIFFS. Like good god man, at least one riff, instead its a teaser intro buildup into nothing. Such a waste, especially coming from a great legacy of great tunes across Doom and Quake.

Nemesisuuu

I too loved this one. The railgun and grenade launcher being my favorite weapons. I loved dominating my friends bouncing grenades off of walls into other rooms knowing they'd be making specific moves right towards me. So much fun. I personally spent most of my time with the PS1 version and a multitap. Though I also had/have the PC version as well. Love the soundtrack, and I can't understand how people rave over the newer Doom's OST with NO RIFFS. Like good god man, at least one riff, instead its a teaser intro buildup into nothing. Such a waste, especially coming from a great legacy of great tunes across Doom and Quake.
We need something like this:

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Bored GIF

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I know this isn’t about the console ports of old, but I Cant wait to play a remake of Quake 2.

I know the rights would be a nightmare, but I wish they would do the multiplayer right in this one. Having mods like Q2 CTF, action quake (pretty much an early version of COD) and my all time favorite Rocket Arena 2 would be the the biggest nostalgia kick in the world to me.

Man rocket arena 2 in particular was my absolute jam. The summer of 99’ I played that like a job. The fact you can be in a server with like 20 people and they can all split into different one on one rooms along with a pickup team battle playing all together at once on the same server was incredible at the time. So many memories.

Edit it’s also when I first got my 3dfx voodoo card for $400 so the colored lighting was one of the coolest looking things ever to me. Finally, Also moving from a 33.6 modem to cable internet at the time first on familiar servers and having pings in the 30’s instead of 200’s.

Last edited:
I much prefer Andrew Hulshult's work as it has proper riffs. Check out his stuff on this game called Nightmare Reaper.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

emivita

I played Quake 2 on PS1 with the controller and I don't remember it was bad? Try playing Forsaken with the controller, yeah good luck with that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I played Quake 2 on PS1 with the controller and I don't remember it was bad? Try playing Forsaken with the controller, yeah good luck with that.

FWIW I wanted to copy the Exhumed/Powerslave layout, but got overruled. :D

Funny but true fact. The game supports mouse+controller for all 4 players using paired multi-taps, BUT, they have to be first-party official multi-taps as third parties ones don't work because they are wired slightly differently.

Tomeru

Still have the ost playing every once in a while. Sonic Mayhem was the shit. Still is. But why a remaster?

UnNamed

Banned
The same. The only thing I remember is you have to use the shoulder buttons to strafe. Not that bad though.
In any case there is a patch to implement modern controls.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

You guys remember that one part?

Chapters:
00:00 - Intro
11:02 - The Dark Room
14:58 - In Blum
18:36 - Convoy
25:05 - The Stroggification
29:20 - Human Obsolescence
36:14 - Operation: Last Hope