• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

Phased

Gave this a watch over the last couple of days. When Bash showed up, I expected him to be a stereotypical douche, but he's fucking adorable.

Agreed, the Bash scenes and any scene with Marc Maron was great, but really everybody kills it here. Can't wait to see where they go with s2 because I'd be shocked if this didn't get renewed and they laid a lot of groundwork during this season.

Shaneus

Just finished watching, really enjoyed the hell out of it. But does anyone else think that the season ended on the perfect note? Honestly keeping at a tight 10 episodes would probably be there best thing for it, IMO.

Also, the
Just Say No fundraiser, and Maron getting his movie idea spoiled by BttF, holy shit

gabbo

Loved it. Maron couldnt have been better cast. I can't wait for season2, though I am curious how closely it actually resembles the founding of irl-GLOW and if it will sprinkle the real stuff with thier fictional world

Fury451

Banned
I honestly can't say there was a character I disliked in the whole season save for one - the husband.

You mean the cheating husband I hope, not Cherry's husband because he was the best.

I feel bad for that actor, he makes his career playing the most in likable characters possible, because he just has that look and he's good at it.

Sotha Sil

You mean the cheating husband I hope, not Cherry's husband because he was the best.

I feel bad for that actor, he makes his career playing the most in likable characters possible, because he just has that look and he's good at it.

Exactly, he's pretty much typecasted as "unhinged weasel" now

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just watched episode 1. Fantastic show, up there with Netflix's best

Alison Brie is skinny as hell but so damn yummy. Sydelle Neal also, damn

Started watching this last night, really enjoying it. Also cool that my wife went to high school and did theater with the executive story editor. Lots of fun Omaha references that she's picked up on.

Cherry's husband was awesome.

Loved it. Maron couldnt have been better cast. I can't wait for season2, though I am curious how closely it actually resembles the founding of irl-GLOW and if it will sprinkle the real stuff with thier fictional world

My favorite scene was when Goliath came and Smacked him in the face. I couldn't help but think about what Charlie Murphy said about slapping a man, especially considering Sam's reaction.

PSqueak

Banned
Im on episode 8
Abortion one
, im really not liking that the season is short specially because it's 30 min episodes, im burning through the show so fast and i need more GLOW in my life.

It's both very similar but at the same time opposite to Bojack Horseman, a very funny show that is at the same time incredibly depressing. Characters are really fun even the ones that are horrible people.

PSqueak

Banned
Secret best characters ranked.

1. Welfare Queen

Seriously, she was dealt a very shitty stereotype to play as a character, yet she really puts her heart into playing the character, she really makes it work, she act just how you remember wrestlers of the era.

DrBo42

Watched the pilot, seems decent. Naked Alison Brie was a bit of a shock. Is she okay though? Can't tell if the makeup department is intentionally making her super pale and borderline sickly or if it's her.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Watched the pilot, seems decent. Naked Alison Brie was a bit of a shock. Is she okay though? Can't tell if the makeup department is intentionally making her super pale and borderline sickly or if it's her.

She looks healthy enough, her body is very well toned although extra skinny, yeah. The scrawny look has to be intentional, she basically poor and starving

DrBo42

She looks healthy enough, her body is very well toned although extra skinny, yeah. The scrawny look has to be intentional, she basically poor and starving
Yeah, not totally sure. Super skinny, gray and sweaty. Worried me. Hope it's just the training regimine and a good makeup department. Anyway time to binge.

Yeah, not totally sure. Super skinny, gray and sweaty. Worried me. Hope it's just the training regimine and a good makeup department. Anyway time to binge.

Not sure what you mean. She looked totally healthy. Minimal makeup & slim & toned. She looked great.

Tobor

My understanding is she wasn't wearing any makeup at all, intentionally.

Allison Brie said:
Even the way it affected me as a person, not wearing makeup at all every day on set, and carrying myself a little differently and wearing ill-fitting clothes some of time.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.avclub.com/amp/256819

Don't worry. She's in the best shape of her life.

ZeroX03

Banned
While there's been positive reception to GLOW, it didn't turn into a social media hit like their top shows (not even close). Of course social media doesn't necessarily mean eyeballs, only Netflix knows for sure.

Just finished this tonight. Really enjoyed the first season. I was really impressed that the women seemed to do all of their own stunts. The moves weren't the most technical, sure, but by the end they sold it pretty well.

While there's been positive reception to GLOW, it didn't turn into a social media hit like their top shows (not even close). Of course social media doesn't necessarily mean eyeballs, only Netflix knows for sure.

yo you shut up and get back to the CW before I put a hurtin' on ya

Welfare queen actress is a legit wrestler? No wonder she's so good lol

I remember her as Awesome Kong in TNA

dc43912ee45747eebe1acef937d81b5e.jpg

Just finished a second runthrough. I've never done that for a netflix series, and very rarely do that for series outside of netflix. It has this kind of comfort-foodish quality to it that's reminiscent of what scrubs felt like to me. And frankly, I kinda wanna watch it again. Gonna give a little rest before I do, though.

gun_haver

Just finished a second runthrough. I've never done that for a netflix series, and very rarely do that for series outside of netflix. It has this kind of comfort-foodish quality to it that's reminiscent of what scrubs felt like to me. And frankly, I kinda wanna watch it again. Gonna give a little rest before I do, though.

Well I don't agree with the scrubs comparison, I hate scrubs, but yeah I have also watched this twice. It is a very good 'just keep it on' kind of show after you've seen it and just want a good, funny atmosphere in the background.

This makes so much sense. Whenever she switched into her wrestling persona it was amazing.
What's really amazing though is that it's nothing like her actual wrestling persona. In her actual wrestling career she was a silent monster. Seeing all of this personality come out of her was a pleasant shock. I didn't even recognize her.

Netflix has added their documentary about the real GLOW -- I highly recommend it! It brought back memories I didn't realize I had about that show. Very interesting to see the similarities and differences between real life and the show. Hopefully the show won't end the same way! And hopefully there won't be too much painful rapping next season.

jett

D-Member
Not sure if Allison Brie is good at playing a bad actress or if she's just a bad actress. This show's aight, sometimes a bit too cringy for me.

Shaneus

This is an interesting (brief tale) on the best song used in the series, and why:
”The montage was initially scripted with a completely different song and after showing my first cut to the director, Jesse Peretz, his only real note was that he felt we could find something better musically to support the story we were telling," Cook said. ”I spent a very long time looking for the right piece of music and probably went through a dozen options. They all had the right montage feel but emotionally didn't match up with what was happening on screen."
Potential spoiler in link, if you haven't seen episode 7 yet

Not sure if Allison Brie is good at playing a bad actress or if she's just a bad actress. This show's aight, sometimes a bit too cringy for me.
I think it kind of fits in with the 80s theatrics of the show, like Winona Ryder in Stranger Things. It's not great acting, but it works.

Yeah, I didn't get that vibe from any other series I've watched on there (which is really only Master of None, Stranger Things and Santa Clarita Diet), but this I feel I could easily watch in the background or just have it on as a zero brain activity show.

gabbo

Isn't the old adage that it takes a really good actor to appear to be acting badly or something along those lines?

Do you mean like, during the wrestling bits or something? I thought she was great throughout, and the only thing that I could ever see someone misconstruing as "bad acting" on her part is during her character's wrestling persona lines.

In case that's what you're talking about, that's kinda the point of it all. I watched the original pilot of the GLOW wrestling show, and it was just kinda cringey. For example, look at what Bash does when he's announcing. He was really playing up the cringe/bad acting thing there.

PSqueak

Banned

It's the former, that's literally the premise of her character, Ruth is a bad actress hence her not having other gigs that GLOW, and Brie is doing it good, because you believe the character.

If Allison Brie was "just a bad actress", then the character would not feel like "Ruth", it would feel like Allison Brie.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's the former, that's literally the premise of her character, Ruth is a bad actress hence her not having other gigs that GLOW, and Brie is doing it good, because you believe the character.

If Allison Brie was "just a bad actress", then the character would not feel like "Ruth", it would feel like Allison Brie.

I thought it wasn't that she was a bad actress but that she was being held back by sexism? Wasn't that what the entire first scene was about? She also didn't have the "it" factor or demeanor for people to want her to cast her in the available brainless roles that she was competing with hundreds of other girls to get.

PSqueak

Banned
I thought it wasn't that she was a bad actress but that she was being held back by sexism? Wasn't that what the entire first scene was about? She also didn't have the "it" factor or demeanor for people to want her to cast her in the available brainless roles that she was competing with hundreds of other girls to get.

It was a bit of both, they were displaying the sexism in the industry, but she's also a bad actress.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-827-glow-writers-and-showrunners
Give a listen to how the sausage of television gets made as Marc talks with the creative team behind the show GLOW. First, hear about the process of scripting a season of television as a group from the show's writers, Rachel Shukert, Nick Jones and Sascha Rothchild. Then Marc speaks with the creators and showrunners Carly Mensch and Liz Flahive who had to bring all the parts together and still maintain their long-standing friendship.

Maron has yet another GLOW episode.

Top Bottom