• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glitches in games that became 'standards'...

keanerie

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I spent one day trying to do the mentioned kara-throw, over an hour later and nearly smashing my head into the wall, I gave up. I couldn't do it at all.

Cancelling any normal into a special too? Insane. So it's like a one frame window?

If it makes you feel any better, I can't do it either. I've tried, oh, how I've tried.

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I spent one day trying to do the mentioned kara-throw, over an hour later and nearly smashing my head into the wall, I gave up. I couldn't do it at all.

Cancelling any normal into a special too? Insane. So it's like a one frame window?
The best advice I can give you for karas is to start with karathrows, and the timing between hitting the cancelled normal and the throw should be so close together, that you can BARELY feel the difference in timing between the button presses. Literally, the buttons should be pressed near simutaniously but only your fingers can tell you didn't.

Took me forever to do them too, but I'm getting kara throws now. I'm not gonna be trying out kara-demons or anything anytime soon. Not with a pad.

lyre

blackadde said:
and how does snaking in mk fit into all this? i'm not a mk fan by any means .. was it in games prior to mk:ds? did it make it into other racing games?
If you say snaking and mean constantly using mini turbos/mushroom boosts then that was in Super Mario Kart 64 as well. Many broken track records require the use of these miniboosts used constantly in a matter of seconds.

As well for FZero GX, unintentional or not, if even the game's own developers use it then it's fair use. (though in Mario Kart games, it's not a glitch, the mini boosts were put there intentionally)

And something that's been in a series since the original game: Jumping through boss room doors.

LakeEarth said:
The best advice I can give you for karas is to start with karathrows, and the timing between hitting the cancelled normal and the throw should be so close together, that you can BARELY feel the difference in timing between the button presses. Literally, the buttons should be pressed near simutaniously but only your fingers can tell you didn't.

Took me forever to do them too, but I'm getting kara throws now. I'm not gonna be trying out kara-demons or anything anytime soon. Not with a pad.

Tip noted. Thanks.

Geez, so you basically have to press these buttons to a point that you can barely tell the difference in timing presses but they are technically? Whew, tough mountain to tackle.

Since these are kara-throws (hence canceling with LP+Lk after a normal attack) how does kara canceling into specials work?

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Tip noted. Thanks.

Geez, so you basically have to press these buttons to a point that you can barely tell the difference in timing presses but they are technically? Whew, tough mountain to tackle.

Since these are kara-throws (hence canceling with LP+Lk after a normal attack) how does kara canceling into specials work?
I haven't looked into that, but I know it is possible. Makoto has a move where she steps back for a second, then moves forward (I believe its f.rh), and people kara the step back into her 'straight up punch' special to position her in a way where she can hit it twice, and since that move does enourmous stun, it 100% stuns all but the biggest stun-bars. I believe you do the motion (to be edited in, one minute)

From Haunts' Makoto strat thread at the SRK forums
"I cannot preform the 100% stun combo! What am I doing wrong?"

Make sure you have your execution on Kara-Fukiage almost flawless. Dash as early as possible, pull off the kara-fukiage as quick as you can, and then dash back the other way to catch them with the last Fukiage. All aspects of this combo have to be pretty tight, so practice a lot until you can feel it out.
"Oh, well I can't do the kara-fukiage. How do you do it consitantly?"

It's a bit different than all her other kara moves in the sense that it is not cancled with LK, but with HK.

First off, do not try to tap roundhouse then do Dragon Punch MP. Do the Dragon Punch motion, then tap HK and MP successively. You will input the command, the HK will be cancled by the MP Fukiage, moving you back just a bit making the 100% stun combo feasible.

I know to kara the raging demon, you simply press mp when you press forward, so instead of lp, lp, forward, lk, fp, its lp, lp, f.mp, lk, fp... very quickly done.

A kara-demon rage....that's crazy. Always something to learn in SF3:TS. Game is just rediculious in depth. But trying to get rid of old habits in Street Fighter like trying to stay away from Ryu and Ken for the most part and play other characters like Alex and Chun Li.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
people think snaking in mario karts wasn't intentional? You might think doing it is cheese, or makes the game less fun, but it's no glitch.

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
A kara-demon rage....that's crazy. Always something to learn in SF3:TS. Game is just rediculious in depth. But trying to get rid of old habits in Street Fighter like trying to stay away from Ryu and Ken for the most part and play other characters like Alex and Chun Li.
The most amazing part is kara-ing the demon turns it into a Gigas Breaker-like super, where if you weren't jumping before the superflash, its unavoidable. Without it, they can just hold up and jump to safety.

An unstoppable raging demon eh. At the rate I'm going it's going to take me months just get one down.....as for Makoto's 100% stun combo...stratch that years!! I still need good pratice with the parries!

For kara-throws are there any characters in particular that is a bit easier to learn it with with a certain move?

threeball

Banned
Snaking isn't a glitch, just a lame ass technique that makes the game boring. People say it adds depth, but I am sorry: reducing the amount of usable karts to 2, disregarding top speed, weight, and items isn't adding depth

It may have been in previous versions, but mini turbos were no were near as long or powerful in the past versions. In Double Dash, the mini turbos lasted like .001 seconds. Same with Super Circuit/Mario Kart 64.

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
An unstoppable raging demon eh. At the rate I'm going it's going to take me months just get one down.....as for Makoto's 100% stun combo...stratch that years!! I still need good pratice with the parries.
I'd recommend that you just put an effort to get kara-throws down. Remember, even the professionals don't go for the 100% combos in touranemnts. Even for them, the people who play games for a living, they mess it up too often to risk it. I only ever see karathrows because they're easier to pull off and very important to many characters games, and you see kara-raging demons because even if you screw up, you'll get a f.mp which isn't so bad. You screw up a kara-fukiage or kara-palm, you end up missing out on tons of easier damage.

Characters with kara-throws worth learning - Alex(f.fp), Chun(mk), Makoto(lk), Akuma(f.mp), Ryu(f.mp) and Q(b.mp). The rest have karas too, but these 6 characters have the best ones.

Okay, I'ill do that. Going to note down those characters. Great tips LakeEarth, thank you very much.

Looks like I'm goint to smack Ryu in the head with Alex's foward-FP for a while!

I only have the PS2 version so I missed out on the online. I wonder how badlly I would have gotten my ass whupped. How's the cheating on it?

LakeEarth

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I only have the PS2 version so I missed out on the online. I wonder how badlly I would have gotten my ass whupped. How's the cheating on it?
Right now, you'd face a lot of good players, and a lot of people who abuse the lag. No real cheaters, though some losers will pick Gill on you if they can't win, or they'll drop. You'll quickly learn that rank means nothing, some B's will destroy you, some SS's don't know what they're doing (and WILL drop on you). But its the only way I ever face off with real comp since I have no arcades in my town with 3rd Strike, and you can't get better without getting your ass kicked.

I finally thought of one!

Debugging features (god mode, debug console, etc.) being left in the retail version of the game.

Damn, that was an awesome one.

Top Bottom